IGNORED

The CHELSEA Thread

JoeNemesis

THOMAS TUCHEL SACKED BY CHELSEA! 🔥 Simon Jordan and Danny Murphy give their reactions...

What next for Chelsea? - The Telegraph's Matt Law gives his views

From The Telegraph - Matt Law

Revealed: Why Chelsea's new owners decided Thomas Tuchel had to go
Tensions over the summer and German's 'buy-in' to the Boehly-Clearlake project meant this could never be a long-term relationship

Thomas Tuchel this week completed 100 games in charge of Chelsea, but it took the club’s owners just 100 days to come to the conclusion that their new era requires a new head coach.

Chelsea’s defeat to Dinamo Zagreb, attended by co-controlling owners Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali, in many ways underlined a decision that was already in the pipeline regardless of results.

It was during their review of 100 days of active ownership that Boehly and Eghbali discussed their progress in creating a new culture at Chelsea and the long-term prospects of Tuchel, who had done little to prove that he wanted to take a proactive part of it.

Publicly, he insisted he was in it for the long haul, saying before the trip to Croatia that he hoped "there will be another 100 [games], then another 100 coming”. But, privately, his attitude and demeanour raised serious doubts. And that, ultimately, was his undoing – even more than Chelsea suffering three successive away defeats or a series of turgid performances.

The fact that Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang looked to be a deadline-day signing with Tuchel’s name on it proved to be a red herring. Boehly and his Clearlake Capital co-owners want a new culture at Stamford Bridge and decided that Tuchel is not the man to help lead it.

Boehly and Eghbali’s initial plan had been to put their faith in Tuchel. He was given greater control in the transfer market and backed with more responsibility than any coach had enjoyed under previous owner Roman Abramovich. But 100 days of working together raised doubts over whether the relationship could be one for the long term. Instead, it increasingly appeared that Tuchel was perhaps better suited to the more detached management style of the past regime.

Boehly and co will be aware that this is a decision that will invite scrutiny and criticism, especially following a transfer window in which they spent almost £300 million. Having made himself chairman and taken on the title of interim sporting director, Boehly put a target on his back and there will be some anger from a section of supporters who idolised Tuchel and ridicule from those pundits who have already accused Chelsea’s owners of playing real-life Championship Manager.

The decisions to sack former chairman Bruce Buck and director Marina Granovskaia were never likely to cause much of a public relations storm, while Petr Cech went of his own accord having been asked to stay. But Tuchel had earned himself a place in the hearts of supporters for the 2021 Champions League success and is widely regarded as one of the world’s finest coaches.

Ultimately, however, Chelsea’s owners know they must ignore the noise and concern themselves only with whether or not the dressing room will react badly to Tuchel’s removal. The evidence in Zagreb seemed to suggest there will be far fewer dissenting voices from among the playing squad.

Given how his popularity dropped with a number of players, Boehly and Egbhali can be confident they will not face any sort of revolt. They will explain that sacking Tuchel is aimed at the long term and a Desire for joined up thinking rather than any short-term power trip or knee-jerk reaction to a poor start to the season. The fact Graham Potter is the favourite of Chelsea’s targets to replace the former Paris St-Germain man proves that point.

Boehly’s philosophy, and that of his partners, is to hire for the long term – as proved by some of Chelsea's players being handed six-year contracts. Meanwhile, Dave Roberts, the manager of Boehly's other major sporting interest, the LA Dodgers baseball team, has been in charge for seven years and in March signed a new three-year deal that will take him through to 2025 and a decade at the helm. Roberts has been through peaks and troughs, but, crucially, he believes in those above him just as much as they put their faith – and money – into him.

Tuchel reiterated on several occasions that he did not enjoy becoming more involved in this summer’s recruitment process and consistently bemoaned the loss of Cech as the club's technical and performance advisor.

That caused some raised eyebrows given Boehly and Egbahli did most of the heavy lifting in the transfer window themselves, working around the clock across different time zones. If anybody faced scrutiny and pressure this summer, it has been Chelsea’s new billionaire owners, rather than the head coach.

A clash of management styles first surfaced on Chelsea’s tour of the United States, during which Tuchel cut an irritated figure. The German could not contain his anger following the 4-0 thrashing by Arsenal in Orlando and spent the entire journey back to England deep in his own thoughts.

It is unlikely that Tuchel was a particularly enthusiastic member of the WhatsApp group that was set up to improve communication and discuss transfer targets. The fact the 49-year-old prefers to be left to work and solve problems on his own, along with his close circle of coaches, is not in line with the inclusive approach of Boehly and Eghbali.

They want a coach who they feel comfortable bouncing ideas off and peppering with questions, even some that may seem tiresome to those with more football experience. There is also a Desire for all of Chelsea’s departments to become more intertwined and cooperative.

Boehly’s interest in signing Cristiano Ronaldo provided an early difference of opinion, with the American reluctant to simply take “no” for an answer from Tuchel, who, according to sources, seemed exasperated at having to explain his reasons for not wanting the Portuguese.

Crucially, the owners want a coach they can invest in for the future and who they believe is prepared to make an equal commitment. The first 100 days with Tuchel did not offer enough encouragement that he would relish their style or help create the culture they want to breed.

Only last Saturday, Tuchel made it clear that he had little interest in involving himself in the appointment of Chelsea’s next permanent sporting director which again underlined his reluctance to operate more globally within the club.

The atmosphere at Chelsea’s training ground has been described as tense and Tuchel’s popularity nose-dived with a group of players who felt they had been treated unfairly, both in terms of team selections and the positions they were asked to play.

Players have been left in the cold only to be brought back unexpectedly before being  dropped again. Hakim Ziyech started the defeat to Southampton, despite the fact he had been trying to negotiate a move out of Chelsea, with Christian Pulisic taking his place in the following game against West Ham United. Ziyech did not look like a man trying to do his head coach any favours when he was thrown on at half-time in Zagreb.

Decisions such as those have not only been confusing to outsiders and Tuchel’s irritated demeanour did not discourage some views within the dressing-room that out-of-favour players would be more likely to outlast the head coach.

Chelsea’s co-controlling owners want it to be clear that the next head coach will be somebody who is invested in their project and who the players expect to be in charge for many years, and Potter would seemingly tick the boxes.

He seems a better fit for Chelsea's new era than Tuchel, a hand-me-down – albeit a smart one – from a culture Boehly and Egbahli have made it clear they want to leave behind.

AMLnZu95kJCcac9_L4lYc8puTQXjF33cYaxPWiFv  

Matt Law Special: Tuchel's Exit, Potter's Entrance

Edited by JoeNemesis

featured_channel.jpg?v=5d3993c9    

Broja on being ready to help and competing with Aubameyang

The end of the transfer window may have brought a close to our summer trading but it did not stop the club from doing more smart business in the days that have followed the deadline, with new long-term contracts swiftly signed by Chelsea Academy graduates Armando Broja and Reece James.

For Broja, a new six-year deal followed a summer of simmering speculation about his future and acted as a signal, from both club and player, that paths are aligned when it comes to the young forward’s future. 

The 20-year-old has made five substitute appearances already this term and, while he awaits a first start for the Blues, a Champions League debut and frequent match action are signs of progress being made. 

‘However long it is, I try to give my all to the team, the club and the fans,’ Broja says. ‘Every time I do come on the pitch, I just focus on how I can help. If I can score, get an assist or just use my work-rate to hunt the ball down, I want to help the team as much as possible. 

‘I’ve always been a confident boy so it’s important for me to keep that and remain confident. I feel like I can help the team a lot so I’ll keep doing my best on and off the pitch in every way I can.’ 

The new substitution rule permitting five changes in the Premier League has increased the possibility of involvement for players like Broja, who are pushing to establish themselves as regulars in the team. He believes the secret to success off the bench is to always expect the call and to be ready to make an impact regardless of the match situation. 

‘You know if you’re on the bench that you now have more opportunities so everybody is preparing themselves mentally and physically to come on,’ he explained. 

‘That can happen at any point, whether it’s in the last minute or half-time, whenever you’re needed depending on how the game is going. It’s about being ready, expecting it and staying focused.’ 

The Albanian international enjoyed a productive Premier League campaign on loan at Southampton last term. However, despite the talk of there being other suitors for his services this summer, his mind was set on breaking through at the Bridge, a dream he has harboured for many years and which feels almost within his grasp. 

‘I was just focusing on myself and trying to get fit because I did injure myself a little bit in America,’ he said of pre-season. ‘You see the speculation but my full focus was always to be here and focus on Chelsea. 

‘This is one of the best clubs in the world and there’s no better feeling to be playing for my boyhood club, the club I’ve supported my whole life. 

‘Everywhere you go in football, there’s competition and that’s just normal. For me, it’s just about being focused, keeping my head down and working hard. Hopefully that leads to many more opportunities but I’m thankful for those I’ve had so far.

‘Chelsea have put their faith in me since I was a young player. They’ve always taught me to be resilient and a hard worker and always focus on football. Chelsea have taught me a lot, how to be a man and a good person, so I just want to repay their faith in me with my performances on the pitch, by scoring goals and winning matches. 

‘We trust each other and that’s the bond you have. It’s like a family.’ 

While Broja was not among the movers this summer, the deadline day arrival of Pierre-Emerick Aubemeyang has added to the striking options, yet there is nothing but positivity in the forward’s assessment of the situation as he views the new signing as a source of inspiration rather than a rival for minutes.

‘He’s a great player who has done a lot in his career so far and now he’s come to Chelsea I can learn a lot from him,’ he added on Aubameyang. ‘He’s done it at Arsenal and at Barcelona so he’s a good addition and he seems like a very good guy.

‘I’m excited to learn from him and a few things he has learned over the years. It’s always good to have that competition in the team.’

From chelseafc.com

armando-broja.jpeg

Graham Potter agrees to replace Thomas Tuchel as Chelsea head coach

Englishman met Chelsea owners in London on Wednesday night and is expected to complete move to Stamford Bridge on Thursday

Graham Potter has verbally agreed to become the next Chelsea head coach, replacing Thomas Tuchel after the German was sacked by the club’s new owners on Wednesday.

Potter met with Chelsea’s co-controlling owners Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali in London on Wednesday afternoon, and terms have been agreed on a long-term deal for him to leave Brighton and take over at Stamford Bridge, with an announcement expected as early as Thursday afternoon.

Potter was pictured arriving on Thursday morning at Brighton’s training ground to tie up loose ends, and he is expected to travel to London later in the day to formally complete his move to Chelsea. He has already been stood down from Brighton’s pre-match press conference ahead of this weekend’s fixture against Bournemouth.

The agreement will allow the 47-year-old, first revealed as the favourite to succeed Tuchel by Telegraph Sport, to take charge of Chelsea’s Premier League trip to Fulham on Saturday lunchtime and complete a swift process for Boehly and his Clearlake partners.

The entire operation will cost Chelsea over £20 million, with Potter’s release clause thought to be set at £15m and Tuchel in line to receive almost £7m in compensation, and comes less than a week after the transfer window, in which the owners spent almost £300m, closed.

Chelsea’s owners want to make a long-term appointment of somebody they believe can create and cultivate a new culture within the club, who is ready to listen to their ideas and explain his own philosophies.

After deciding that Tuchel was not the long-term head coach they were looking for, Chelsea’s co-owners identified former Ostersunds and Swansea City manager Potter as the right candidate to lead the club’s new era, following the completed takeover at the end of last season.

While he is yet to manage in the Champions League, Potter took Ostersunds to the last 32 of the Europa League on a budget of just under £1m in 2018 when they secured an eye-catching 2-1 victory over Arsenal at the Emirates.

From The Telegraph

graham potter Chelsea.jpeg

Chelsea Football Club officially welcomes Graham Potter as its new Head Coach, joining on a five-year contract to bring his progressive football and innovative coaching to the Club

"Potter is one of the most exciting coaches in the game, starting his journey in Sweden before bringing his talents to the English game over the past four seasons. The 47-year-old is educated to degree level in disciplines beyond sport and has combined these experiences to forge a collaborative, forward-thinking approach while developing attacking and winning football. 

That has been in evidence during his time at Brighton & Hove Albion, where he achieved that club’s highest-ever league finish last season. Along the way, he earned praise for his winning brand of football on the south coast, while proving flexible in tactics and formations to be a step ahead of opponents.  

On making the move to Stamford Bridge, Potter said: ‘I am incredibly proud and excited to represent Chelsea FC, this fantastic football club. I am very excited to partner with Chelsea’s new ownership group and look forward to meeting and working with the exciting group of players and to develop a team and culture that our amazing fans can be proud of. I would also like to place my sincere thanks to Brighton & Hove Albion for allowing me this opportunity and in particular Tony Bloom and all the players, staff and supporters for their continued support during my time at the club.’

Todd Boehly, chairman, said: ‘We are thrilled to bring Graham to Chelsea. He is a proven coach and an innovator in the Premier League who fits our vision for the Club. Not only is he extremely talented on the pitch, he has skills and capabilities that extend beyond the pitch which will make Chelsea a more successful Club. He has had a major impact at his previous Clubs and we look forward to his positive impact at Chelsea. We look forward to supporting him, his coaching team and the squad in realising their full potential in the coming months and years.’

Behdad Eghbali and José E. Feliciano, co-controlling owners, said: ‘Graham is a football innovator and winner on the pitch and a leader off the pitch. He has deeply impressed us with his ideas and approach to football. We are thrilled to partner with Graham to build a winning team, one that embodies the culture of collaboration, innovation, teamwork, player development, and a commitment to excellence on and off the pitch. We are fortunate to have Graham and his team as our partners in that journey.’ 

Potter will take charge of the team immediately."

From chelseafc.com

Sterling's OUTRAGEOUS chip in training! 

Frank's only regret at Chelsea?

Inside Tuchel’s Chelsea sacking

I'm lovin' it

I guess Chelsea fans are the only ones celebrating the postponement of all Premier League matches this weekend as it gives new coach Graham Potter a few extra invaluable days on the training pitch at Cobham to school his new team in the methods of Potterball.

Edited by JoeNemesis

First Look at Graham Potter's Chelsea vs. RB Salzburg - Good or Bad?

Chelsea's FIFA 23 Ratings Revealed!

I think the Chelsea chairmans madcap idea about an allstars game in the prem is just that...mad, it deserves nothing but derision. 

20 minutes ago, vimto66 said:

I think the Chelsea chairmans madcap idea about an allstars game in the prem is just that...mad, it deserves nothing but derision. 

It was left field, for sure. But it has more to commend it than the European Super League. If the proceeds go to support the lower leagues, as Boehly suggested, it's worthy of a conversation. 

Todd Boehly Pitches a Premier League ALL-STAR GAME & Relegation Playoff??  People Are Overreacting...

featured_channel.jpg?v=5d3993c9   Todd Boehly All-Star outrage exposes Premier League hypocrisy as Chelsea owner plots new plan
The overblown outrage to a mere suggestion was the least interesting part of Todd Boehly's interview

If you have not been watching the new FX series 'Welcome to Wrexham' that charts Hollywood stars Rob Mcclenny and Ryan Reynolds buying a struggling non-league club in the heart of a hopeful city, there is quite an informative scene over football's protective culture.

Humphrey Ker arrives at Wrexham to act as the new owners' conduit whilst they are stateside. Ker is an actor and writer who had worked alongside Rob McElhenney for years, he is not the stereotypical 'football man' if such a thing even exists. He exudes a self-professed geeky personality as he stands in front of the room of Wrexham players, anxiously waiting to introduce himself.

"It feels like you are standing in front of all the coolest kids in school" Ker explains in a voiceover. The eventual exchange is played up for its awkwardness, once he leaves and the door slowly closes behind him, we hear shared laughter amongst the players. That picture of humour at the expense of an outsider feels pretty representative of some of the responses to Todd Boehly.

The American owner has already been accused of many things in his short-time owning Chelsea. "Playing football manager" was how a disbelieving Gary Neville referred to his actions as interim sporting director over the summer, a line that has tediously stuck. Only further enforced by claims he and Chelsea's other owners had been preparing their recruitment in a '4-4-3' formation as a source in an Athletic piece claimed.

People have already shaped their views on Boehly, and nothing in the almost 30-minute interview at the SALT conference in New York managed to change that, in fact, it only sparked a mass hysteria that fried supposedly intelligent minds.

In case you haven't been aware, Chelsea's billionaire co-owner and chairman caused quite the stir when he merely suggested the idea of an "All-Star game" between North and South Premier League teams.

"People are talking about why don't we have more money for the pyramid. MLB [Major League Baseball] did their all-star game this year." Boehly said. "They made $200m from a Monday and a Tuesday. You could do a North vs South all-star game from the Premier League to fund the pyramid very easily."

Then, when asked what his counterparts think, the Chelsea co-owner responded: "Everyone likes the idea of more revenue for the league, but there's a real cultural aspect. I think evolution will come."

This triggered mass condemnation veering from people acting very dramatically about the suggestion taken from a pretty expansive interview to just mere condescension, a lot of it related to Boehly being an American.

People want to paint Boehly as the wild cowboy, charging into the Premier League, loudly discarding any known wisdom for his own whim. Going for 'that Ronaldo guy' in the summer transfer window because he's the only player he knows. There is hypocrisy to the coverage of Chelsea's transfer window that simultaneously tries to paint Boehly as the arrogant amateur, showing no respect for football's traditions, whilst also being criticised for leaning on the expertise of Thomas Tuchel.

"When you take over any business, you have to make sure you're aligned with the people who are operating the business." Boehly said on the sacking of Tuchel.

"[Thomas] Tuchel is obviously extremely talented and someone who had great success at Chelsea. Our vision for the club was to find a manager who really wanted to collaborate with us, a coach who really wanted to collaborate. There are a lot of walls to break down at Chelsea. Before [we arrived], the first team and academy didn't really share data, didn't share information about where the top players were coming from. Our goal is to bring a team together; all of that needs to be a well-oiled machine."

Some of the snap reaction tweets seemed to quite easily trot out almost every lazy American stereotype you could think of, including jokes that he would be proposing rule changes to the sport at his next appearance. Jurgen Klopp dropped the "Harlem Globetrotters" in for good measure when he was asked about it following Liverpool's win over Ajax on Tuesday.

Among more serious accusations levelled, Gary Neville, in what was certainly the wildest response, tweeted that American investment is a "clear and present danger to the pyramid and fabric of the game."

The sheer force of hostility reflects a culture that prefers putting people in neat and simple boxes. In English football, American investment or involvement can seemingly only be viewed in two ways. Either, The Glazers - the distant owners, holding their supporters in supposed contempt with no emotional connection to the clubs they own. Or the out-of-touch outsider, who doesn't "get it" or can be mocked for his accent and attempted Americanization of the sport.

Think about the way from a coaching perspective, Bob Bradley was covered at Swansea, even Jesse Marsch now at Leeds, consistently related to the fictional Ted Lasso played by Jason Sudeikis.

There is already an assumption about Boehly and the role he is supposed to play. Chelsea's transfer business was perceived to be the brainchild of Boehly, arriving and going mad like 'a kid in a sweet shop' as one report described.

The reaction that an all-star game would undermine the integrity of the entire sport is pretty funny, because of course, we currently have no games on the current calendar that lack significance of competitive integrity. Of course, there is the Community Shield, where for about a 24-hour period, mainly to fill time on podcasts, we all have to pretend this glorified friendly which has always been a glorified friendly is somehow a game we should all take seriously.

How about the UEFA Nations League, still being played in a ridiculously congested year where a winter World Cup is the sandwich filling in between two slices of domestic football. Oh, what about the proposed reintroduction of FA Cup replays, or the extension of the FIFA Club World Cup to mirror international tournaments, a larger Champions League, larger qualifying, and more miles travelled for pre-season tours across the globe?

Whether you think the 'All-star' format is a woeful idea is kind of not the point. It was the mass outrage machine spiralling into overdrive which made for a truly baffling sight. Particularly when you realise that out of everything Boehly said, that suggestion was actually the least substantive point.

In this public appearance, Boehly answered a question about Tuchel's sacking almost a week after a decision was taken. He spoke about the expertise he wants to put in place at the club, the importance of the academy and the potential for owning multiple clubs, albeit a controversial topic. This was one of the big owners in this country openly talking about his ideas, but little of that was clearly of much interest to those who have little interest in Chelsea.

Would we rather this or the secret plan of owners who plotted the European Super League proposals that sparked mass protest and panic? As Klopp laughed amongst the media, it might be easy for some to forget it was his employers who spearheaded not only the European Super League but the concerning Project Big Picture. A spectacle that led John W. Henry to record a grovelling apology. A short, but seismic period of English football that caused a level of outrage that was absolutely merited.

Boehly merely suggesting the idea of a hypothetical game that likely will never happen, is at worst misguided. But some of the responses have reflected some attitudes towards outsiders, that aren't just influenced by fair concerns over the deeper intentions of owners with deep pockets.

featured_channel.jpg?v=5d3993c9   What Todd Boehly actually said in context 

With the best will in the world JoeNemisis i just dont think British football fans would entertain it, although the relegation playoff thing might have attraction in some quarters (it was actually used when the play-offs first startedi n the 80's).

If a rich business man went to the states and took over a top American 'sports team' and suggested promotion/relegation ie..reward for finishing top and a down grade for being shite, im sure he'd get short shrift, ultimately the fact is they're different sporting cultures that are ingrained.

• Like 2

Chelsea dealt huge transfer blow as latest Todd Boehly pursuit ends in disappointment

Chelsea will have to continue their search for a new sporting director after Christoph Freund announced he would be remaining with Red Bull Salzburg

Chelsea opened talks with the 45-year-old last month with the intention of appointing him as the club's sporting director – a role that co-owner Todd Boehly filled on an interim basis during the summer transfer window but had no intention of holding longer term.

Further productive discussions were held with Freund last week and, as a result, Chelsea expected him to arrive at the club ahead of the World Cup. However, no agreement was in place with Salzburg and the Austrian side's managing director, Stephan Reiter, stated on Sunday afternoon that he expected Freund to stay.

That has come to fruition with Freund now confirming he will stay on at Salzburg despite Chelsea's interest. In a statement released this afternoon, he said: "As I have already confirmed in interviews, Chelsea FC was interested in me.

"When such a big club asks, it not only honors me and the work of FC Red Bull Salzburg, it is of course also a circumstance that entails personal considerations. But I've come to the conclusion that I'm in the best of hands with FC Red Bull Salzburg and that a change is out of the question for me.

"Of course, he informed me about Chelsea FC's interest in him and we exchanged ideas on a personal level and in good conversations. The fact is that he will remain our sporting director! We have not received any inquiries about a possible change."

From football.london

"Dumbfounded" Christian Pulisic details how Thomas Tuchel misled him at Chelsea

The American international quickly fell out of favour at Stamford Bridge under the reign of Champions League winning manager Thomas Tuchel and has now told his side of the story

Chelsea star Christian Pulisic has accused former Blues boss Thomas Tuchel of misleading him over starting the Champions League semi-final second-leg clash against Real Madrid during the 2020/21 season.

The West London-outfit met Los Blancos in the last four of Europe's most prestigious club competition knowing a win would see them one game from the ultimate glory. During the first leg in Madrid, Pulisic actually put Chelsea in front before French superstar Karim Benzema levelled things up, leaving the tie in the balance for the return clash at Stamford Bridge.

Pulisic has since claimed the goal he scored in the Spanish capital was a direct result of him ignoring Tuchel's instructions to hang back instead of making a run into the opposition box.

Considering he netted Chelsea's goal, Pulisic can be forgiven for assuming he would be handed a start in the second-leg. He then had it confirmed to him from Tuchel directly, so it came as quite the shock when he was dropped to the bench for the visit of Madrid a week later.

Chelsea went on to win the game 2-0, sealing their place in the final and Pulisic still managed to make a vital contribution despite his surprise omission from the starting line-up. The American international set up Mason Mount's 85th minute strike to put the result beyond any doubt.

Writing in his book, 'Christian Pulisic: My Journey So Far', the 24-year-old explained: "What happened before that game was hugely disappointing for me. l’d had a really good first leg performance and our following match was against Fulham in the league.

"Tuchel told me that he was resting me for the second leg and as a result I didn’t play a single minute in the Fulham game. Then on match day of the second semi, Tuchel tells me he’s changed his mind and he’s going with Kai [Havertz].

"I honestly was dumbfounded and very disappointed. I thought that I’d earned a start and, most importantly, he had assured me previously I was going to start. So by the time he brought me on with about 25 minutes left, I was just so wound up."

While Pulisic managed to channel his anger at the situation positively, the demise of his relationship with Tuchel at Chelsea comes as a surprise considering the pair had actually already worked closely together during their shared time at Borussia Dortmund.

There were not thought to be any notable rifts between the pair while at Dortmund, yet Tuchel was seemingly reluctant to entrust Pulisic for the bigger games of his Chelsea reign before his sacking earlier this month.

From mirror.co.uk

Inter Milan initiate talks with Chelsea for Romelu Lukaku loan renewal — reports

The expectation always was that Romelu Lukaku’s long-term future is at Inter Milan, with previous reports pointing towards a “gentleman’s agreement” between the Nerazzurri and Chelsea for keeping the Belgium international at the San Siro for a second consecutive season.

According to La Gazzetta dello Sport (via Jacque Talbot) and Calciomercato, talks have now been initiated to formalize the terms of the deal, with the belief being that the financial conditions will be similar to this season’s loan transfer.

Lukaku is obviously keen on staying in Italy. But more importantly, new manager Graham Potter has not given an indication that he wants him back, with the “bulky” striker not suited to the kind of footballing philosophy that he is trying to set up at Chelsea.

Lukaku has been out injured with a muscle injury, but the 29-year-old is set to return to action after the international break. Roberto Martinez has not selected Lukaku for the upcoming international games, so that the latter can continue his recovery.

From weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com

N’Golo Kanté back in individual training — report

Chelsea are unbeaten in the games N’Golo Kanté has been able to play in this season — and would in fact be a perfect two-for-two were it not for some truly incompetent officiating. By contrast, we’re a pitiful two wins from six in the games he has not been to play in this season.

Would he have made all the difference? Probably not; our issues seem a bit more wide-ranging, but Chelsea with Kanté is still a significantly better team than a Chelsea without Kanté — even if we may be starting to contemplate a post-Kanté future — so the sooner we can be with Kanté again, the better off we’ll all be.

Thankfully, the 31-year-old appears to be making progress in his recovery from his (latest) hamstring strain, with Evening Standard journalist Nizaar Kinsella spotting the midfielder over the weekend back in individual training.

Kanté was set to miss all of September with the injury, and hopefully he will be getting close to returning when we come back from the international break on October 1.

From weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s start to life as a Chelsea player may not have taken the path he expected, but the striker says he is already enjoying working under Graham Potter.

Aubameyang moved from Barcelona to Stamford Bridge on transfer deadline day but only had the chance to play one game under his former Borussia Dortmund boss Thomas Tuchel before we parted company with the German.

Potter was quickly installed as our new head coach and against RB Salzburg last Wednesday, Aubameyang made his home bow on the night Potter took charge of the Blues for the first time.

‘He’s a really positive person,’ Aubameyang said of Potter.

‘He’s a great character. We will try to learn with him, and to win as soon as possible. It’s going to be easy to adapt. His ideas are very clear.

‘It’s been some strange weeks for all of us I think, not only me. That’s part of life. Everyone knows the relationship I had with Thomas. It’s sad when somebody leaves a club, but this is football. You have to adapt quickly at different moments in a season.

‘It’s a bit of sadness but hopefully better days are coming. When you play for Chelsea, you need results as soon as possible.’

Aubameyang’s whirlwind start to life in west London has been intensified by the mask he is having to wear to manage a facial injury sustained in a horrendous attack in his home towards the end of his time in Barcelona.

The Gabonese has played around an hour in his first two appearances for the Blues, and provided an update on his injury status after Wednesday’s frustrating draw.

‘I need more time,’ he said.  ‘I’m not 100 per cent fit. It’s not easy to play with a mask and with an injury, but hopefully I will get 100 per cent as soon as possible.’

From chelseafc.com

aubameyang-shot-salzburg-home.jpeg

aubameyang-sterling-celebration-salzburg.jpeg