Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Boxing - great upcoming fights

Luv2Phuket

If you like MMA, UFC 295 is taking place around lunchtime on Sunday November 12th Thai time. There will be plenty of bars showing it live.

It's a good card but unfortunately the Jones vs Stipe fight has been cancelled because Jones got injured.

https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_617632669_279973028887_1_original.jpeg

2 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

are there any good podcasts or websites that have all the latest commentary on upcoming fights.

For websites, I like Bad Left Hook and Boxing Scene

For info on upcoming fights in Bangkok, I follow NKL Promotion and Highland Boxing Gym on Facebook. Going to boxing events in Thailand is typically free which is nice.

Plenty of others out there. What do you like @Luv2Phuket ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kelly2 said:

think this will somewhat tarnish Tyson's legacy, him being knocked down by an MMA fighter making his boxing debut.

Tyson Furys legacy is likely to be one of being the best of what was a poor era of heavyweight boxers. An era that extends nearly 20 years now. Boxing has managed to bring in more casual followers of the sport (a good thing overall). In my opinion, it has also created an inflation in the estimation of the quality of many of the ‘top’ fighters, particularly in the heavyweight division. 

Fury was obviously feeling humiliated in the post-fight interview. At one point he was getting agitated with being questioned, as if he wanted the ground to swallow him up. People might argue that he didn’t taken the fight seriously, but his much acclaimed ‘boxing brain’ didn’t seem to have many answers for a well disciplined (but predictable) Ngannou.

I’m sure Usyk and his team were laughing all the way home, unless of course this in anyway diminishes the payday for his own fight with Fury. It probably won’t. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, George1234 said:

Tyson Furys legacy is likely to be one of being the best of what was a poor era of heavyweight boxers. An era that extends nearly 20 years now. Boxing has managed to bring in more casual followers of the sport (a good thing overall). In my opinion, it has also created an inflation in the estimation of the quality of many of the ‘top’ fighters, particularly in the heavyweight division. 

Are you referring to the UK here, because in the US, I just don’t see it. None of my friends follow boxing even casually. Showtime just pulled the plug on the sport as HBO did previously. I even think saying the sport’s popularity here in the US is treading water would be on the generous side. The cards I do see from the UK seem to have a more enthusiastic fan base to me.

10 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Are you referring to the UK here, because in the US, I just don’t see it. None of my friends follow boxing even casually. Showtime just pulled the plug on the sport as HBO did previously. I even think saying the sport’s popularity here in the US is treading water would be on the generous side. The cards I do see from the UK seem to have a more enthusiastic fan base to me.

I would say it is true in the UK. Boxing fans in the UK have always been hardcore when it comes to following boxers. Casual followers (who weren’t exactly buying Boxing Monthly) have been sustained by the arrival of social media. This has helped keep the sport relevant.

Although I am aware of the decline from what were considered the golden eras, I thought boxing was still the fourth sport in the US. Surprised to hear that. A real shame if that is borne out in the figures. 

Amateur boxing in the US became shambolic. The collapse of the US heavyweight ‘talent factory’ is the ultimate cause of the poor standard of the heavyweight division over the last twenty years. 

A couple of notes on the fight. Fury couldn't seem to hurt him (solid chin meets average power). Ngannou didn’t do anything amateurish, frequently beat Fury to his jab and threw left hooks that had power.

Everybody who I watched the fight with thought Ngannou won. I thought he won by two rounds through his power punches and him essentially bullying Fury around the ring. I actually started getting behind him towards the end of the fight (thinking they would probably rob him in on the cards). 

Anthony Joshua (another totally overrated heavyweight) starts to look better in the competition for who is the least shit current heavyweight.

11 hours ago, Kelly2 said:

But Francis gave a fantastic performance, and I'm delighted for him. He seems such a great guy. And it was amazing seeing all those boxing legends (Duran, SRL, Larry Holmes, Oscar etc), MMA legends (Rampage, Chuck Liddell, Randy etc) and other celebs gather for this spectacular event.

I don't want to even guess on how much money the Saudis spent bringing all those people in and (presumably) paying them a hefty appearance fee -- had to be in the hundreds of millions of dollars.  I've never seen anyhing like that.

11 hours ago, bgtp said:

That fight was definitely not what I expected 555

I’ve been checking the schedule for any fights to watch when I’m in Thailand next month, either in person or major fights to watch in a sports bar. Looks like some fights to watch over breakfast, but nothing that gets me too excited. I’m really looking forward to Bam-Edwards and Inoue-Tapales in December.

I'm looking forward to Bam-Edwards.  Bam has looked great, but part of me wonders if he's that great or if the older fighters he beat were on a serious down slope?  Maybe a little of both?

Edwards is a prime matchup.

Inoue destroys Tapales (but good for Tapales to get the big pay day!).  Fight is December 26 in Tokyo, so that should be early morning EST in the USA.

4 hours ago, George1234 said:

A couple of notes on the fight. Fury couldn't seem to hurt him (solid chin meets average power). Ngannou didn’t do anything amateurish, frequently beat Fury to his jab and threw left hooks that had power.

Everybody who I watched the fight with thought Ngannou won. I thought he won by two rounds through his power punches and him essentially bullying Fury around the ring. I actually started getting behind him towards the end of the fight (thinking they would probably rob him in on the cards). 

Anthony Joshua (another totally overrated heavyweight) starts to look better in the competition for who is the least shit current heavyweight.

I wasn't paying close attention, but the writers I follow on Twitter all had Fury close.

One thing many noted afterward was that Fury's advantage in many fights was to lean on his opponent kinda like Klitschko used to do.  That shit didn't work at all on Ngannou, due to his MMA experience.

Gotta disagree on AJ.  IMHO, AJ is a victim of his own popularity.  He was not developed methodically, but became a huge star while he was still relatively inexperienced.  At that point, he's filling huge arenas and you can't give him "developmental" fights.  It was great for his bank account, but he never grew into a "complete fighter."  Plus, he appears to have a chin as bad as Amir Khan. After Ruiz clipped him, he's looked scared shitless in the ring.  Doesn't let his hands go any more for fear of catching something coming back.  He had a huge size advantage vs Usyk, but fought like the smaller man, especially in the rematch.  

Should they fight, I think I'd pick Wilder to beat him.  Not a fan of Wilder (think he is absurdly overrated), but he CAN punch, and he should catch AJ at some point.  Question is whether AJ could take the punch?

Even though he's a blown up cruiserweight, Usyk appears to be the top dog these days.  We'll see how Fury looks when they meet....or perhaps we're back to "if" they meet after that horrendous showing.

I think "Riyadh Season" ends in March.  I wouldn't be surprised to see them push the fight back to then to have it as the big "closing event."  The Saudis call the shots on it, as they're the only ones willing to pay the $$$ required for it.

Long rambling response but I gotta mention that the sooner that twat John Fury is out of the public eye, the better. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up that Benavidez-Andrade is on Thai TV tomorrow morning, PPTV 36 at 10:00. I’m guessing just the main and co-main since the PPV starts at 8:00. I’m planning to watch at Sportsman in Bangkok over breakfast, but sometimes things ‘pop up’ 😉 so it’s good to have a back-up plan.

I’m going to watch some boxing in Bangkok this afternoon. An NKL card on ThaiRathTV 32 at 3:00. I must be getting old. This week I’m spending as much time going to fights, concerts and art exhibits as I am in the massage shops.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Haney shutout Prograis last night. Haney looked sharp, but too one-sided of a fight to be exciting. I recorded Ramirez-Espinoza and watched that over breakfast this morning. Holy shit, what a fight 🥊 Definitely worth checking out, FOTY contender.

Hyped for Rodríguez-Edwards next week. So much so that I’ll be gritting my teeth and paying for DAZN again.

• 3 weeks later...

I think Usyk can beat Fury

11 minutes ago, CliffHitMan said:

I think Usyk can beat Fury

Especially if Fury looks like he did against Ngannou!  555

Fury's best win was Klitschko (years ago) and, more recently, Wilder....well that certainly looks tainted now.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Especially if Fury looks like he did against Ngannou!  555

Fury's best win was Klitschko (years ago) and, more recently, Wilder....well that certainly looks tainted now.

Yeah I agree Fury is not the Man he once was 

Fury is a beast

After fight with wilder he went directly to rave party

Edited by qwertyasdzxc

10 minutes ago, qwertyasdzxc said:

Fury is a beast

After fight with wilder he went directly to rave party

He is like most recent heavyweights - the best of a very shit era. Lennox Lewis was the last great heavyweight. The current crop of heavyweights would get murdered by the 90s era. Ray Mercer would beat the living f*ck out every single one of them and he wasn’t even Tier 1 of the 90s.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George1234 said:

He is like most recent heavyweights - the best of a very shit era. Lennox Lewis was the last great heavyweight. The current crop of heavyweights would get murdered by the 90s era. Ray Mercer would beat the living f*ck out every single one of them and he wasn’t even Tier 1 of the 90s.

I have to agree with that

I think the exciting boxers of today are in the lighter weights

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

I have to agree with that

I Agree too 

Hate to be Debbie Downer and have ZERO information to support it, but my fear is that the Fury/Usyk fight ends up getting postponed due to injury (whether legit or not).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2024 at 21:55, Harry Brown said:

Just enjoyed Teraji-Canizales. The little guys deliver once again 🥊

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2024 at 16:52, Luv2Phuket said:

Hate to be Debbie Downer and have ZERO information to support it, but my fear is that the Fury/Usyk fight ends up getting postponed due to injury (whether legit or not).

and there it is 555

9 hours ago, bgtp said:

and there it is 555

Wish I could've placed a bet on it!  5555

The cut looks a bad one. The footage of how it happened looks dubious as fuck though.

Turki Alalshikh has just guaranteed on the Ariel Helwani show that the Fury Usyk fight will now take place on May 18th, and should either one pull out, another big opponent will fill his place. In the case of one pulling out, that boxer will have to pay his opponent 10 million in compensation. Both fighters have verbally agreed on camera to this rearrangement. The Saudis really want to make this fight 

hi could a kind soul suggest a good place to watch the AJ fight in March

as by good fortune ill be in Pattaya then !

cheers Beet

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, beethoven said:

hi could a kind soul suggest a good place to watch the AJ fight in March

as by good fortune ill be in Pattaya then !

cheers Beet

Hemingways or I-Rovers