IGNORED

Boxing - great upcoming fights

Luv2Phuket

On 13/10/2022 at 16:52, Luv2Phuket said:

The Franco/Ioka unification sounds like it is a go.

Glad I set my alarm for this one. Terrific fight to end the year even if the end result wasn’t a unification. I was hoping Franco would get the nod. Where do you think they go from here? My guess is Ioka will fight Nakatani. Do you think they will revisit Estrada-Franco? Hopefully we get Crawford-Spence and Fury-Usyk in the new year. Might as well put Bivol-Beterbiev on my wish list, too.

3 hours ago, bgtp said:

Glad I set my alarm for this one. Terrific fight to end the year even if the end result wasn’t a unification. I was hoping Franco would get the nod. Where do you think they go from here? My guess is Ioka will fight Nakatani. Do you think they will revisit Estrada-Franco? Hopefully we get Crawford-Spence and Fury-Usyk in the new year. Might as well put Bivol-Beterbiev on my wish list, too.

I think Ioka/Nakatani is next up. If Franco didn't have his own World title, he might be able to petition for a rematch, but the fact the he holds the WBA title likely will lead WBO to order Nakatani next (winner was ordered to face him). I like Nakatani is that one.

FWIW, NOBODY has been in more close fights than Franco. 3 razor close fights vs Negrete; a very tight fight with Moloney; the controversial no contest vs Moloney.

I would love to see Franco get Estrada next, but don't know how likely (or unlikely) it is.

Fury-Usyk sounds very close. I think Bivol-Beterbiev should be makeable, as well.

IMHO, Crawford-Spence is going to continue to be tied up over money. Both want a lot more money than that fight is really worth. Some promoter needs to be willing to potentially lose a shitload of money for it to happen.

• 1 month later...

Man, I can't believe I missed that fight. I'll have to catch up on it and see the records online. I've been trying to practice a bit of boxing myself lately, and it's always inspiring to see top fighters go at it in the ring. As for where they go from here, I agree that Ioka vs. Nakatani seems like the likely next matchup. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit Estrada-Franco as well. And yes, I also hope we get to see Crawford-Spence and Fury-Usyk next year. On a side note, I've been considering getting a boxing bag for my apartment to work on my technique at home. I've run into the boxing bag for apartment reviews. Still, do you have any recommendations?

Edited by Arjuhasek

49 minutes ago, Arjuhasek said:

Man, I can't believe I missed that fight. I'll have to catch up on it and see the records online. I've been trying to practice a bit of boxing myself lately, and it's always inspiring to see top fighters go at it in the ring. As for where they go from here, I agree that Ioka vs. Nakatani seems like the likely next matchup. However, I wouldn't be surprised if they revisit Estrada-Franco as well. And yes, I also hope we get to see Crawford-Spence and Fury-Usyk next year. On a side note, I've been considering getting a boxing bag for my apartment to work on my technique at home. I've run into the boxing bag for apartment reviews. Still, do you have any recommendations?

Last week, Ioka said he will vacate his WBO title in order to rematch Franco for the WBA. Guess that leaves Nakatani vs ??? for the WBO. This past Saturday’s fights were good, Lara-Wood and especially Nery-Hovhannisyan is worth a watch.

14 minutes ago, bgtp said:

Last week, Ioka said he will vacate his WBO title in order to rematch Franco for the WBA. Guess that leaves Nakatani vs ??? for the WBO. This past Saturday’s fights were good, Lara-Wood and especially Nery-Hovhannisyan is worth a watch.

Nakatani vs Moloney has been (or will shortly be) ordered by WBO for vacant title.

Given the promoters (Teiken and Top Rank), it should be easy to make.

1 minute ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Nakatani vs Moloney has been (or will shortly be) ordered by WBO for vacant title.

Given the promoters (Teiken and Top Rank), it should be easy to make.

To me, both Moloney brothers are talented fighters, but unfortunately just a step below the top guys in their respective divisions. Those divisions are now being shaken up a bit, so we’ll see.

Rosa versus Knockout CP Freshmart is now off. Turns out the problem was his passport was not valid for six months beyond the dates of his trip. I’m surprised the airlines didn’t catch that. Rosa’s team wants to blame the Thais. But seriously, if you’re traveling internationally, know the entrance requirements of the countries you are visiting. Someone on his team fucked up big time.

• 3 months later...

Spence Vs Crawford Who you got?

Can go either way most even match up but I'm going towards Crawford.

On 20/06/2023 at 02:48, CliffHitMan said:

Spence Vs Crawford Who you got?

Can go either way most even match up but I'm going towards Crawford.

I’m going with Crawford as well. Hope it’s a good fight. I was really glad to see Ioka win today. Gave up his belt to make the Franco rematch happen and then Franco blows weight by 6(!) lbs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bgtp said:

I’m going with Crawford as well. Hope it’s a good fight. I was really glad to see Ioka win today. Gave up his belt to make the Franco rematch happen and then Franco blows weight by 6(!) lbs.

Agree.  Crawford will win..  but Spence has a really strong chance.   I hate that this fight is happening about 2 years to late.   But better late than never for us boxing fans.

Imo: Spence has a better resume ( he beat brook and porter well before Crawford did).    I'm just hoping for a strong, competitive fight.

I was looking to go.  But nose bleeds are $1500 .      Prior to me finding Pattaya and a few years after,  I would be at every major fight in Vegas..   now I'm priced out 

Edited by HimBadMan
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, HimBadMan said:

Agree.  Crawford will win..  but Spence has a really strong chance.   I hate that this fight is happening about 2 years to late.   But better late than never for us boxing fans.

Imo: Spence has a better resume ( he beat brook and porter well before Crawford did).    I'm just hoping for a strong, competitive fight.

I was looking to go.  But nose bleeds are $1500 .      Prior to me finding Pattaya and a few years after,  I would be at every major fight in Vegas..   now I'm priced out 

Has a date been set for this?

image.png

1 hour ago, Jebb said:

Has a date been set for this?

Yea it's July 29th and I'm taking Spence.

I’m taking Crawford.

He’s got a permanent chip on his shoulder and he’s a baaaaaad man!  

Everybody is focused on Spence/Crawford, but it could end up not even being the best fight that week - “Monster” Inuoe vs a very talented Stephen Fulton could be a HELLUVA fight five days before (Tuesday in Japan). 

14 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Monsters fights are epic.

KILLING ME!

I was asked to work a fight on that card (so would've been ringside for Inuoe/Fulton), but cannot because of work and a planned trip to Pattaya in early August - I think I can sneak away to Pattaya for 2+ weeks, but, if I did Japan, I either would have had to come home and turn around a few days later OR extend my trip to about 4 weeks and go directly from Japan to Pattaya.

Just my luck - I will be in Las Vegas for Spence/Crawford, but no free ticket coming my way! 555

21 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

KILLING ME!

I was asked to work a fight on that card (so would've been ringside for Inuoe/Fulton), but cannot because of work and a planned trip to Pattaya in early August - I think I can sneak away to Pattaya for 2+ weeks, but, if I did Japan, I either would have had to come home and turn around a few days later OR extend my trip to about 4 weeks and go directly from Japan to Pattaya.

Just my luck - I will be in Las Vegas for Spence/Crawford, but no free ticket coming my way! 555

Damn!

I'm sure the ladies will soften the blow.  :)

I just read Fulton-Inoue will be on Thai TV (PPTVHD36) for those of you in country looking to watch.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I'm a week late with this, but HOLY SHIT what a week for great fighters!

On Tuesday, "Monster" Inoue moved up in weight and completely dismantled undefeated World champ Stephen Fulton.  Everyone said he was a lock to move to the number 1 "pound for pound" spot with that performance......

But somebody forgot to tell Terence Crawford who dominated undefeated and top 5 P4P fighter Errol Spence here in Las Vegas last night.  Holy shit!  I thought Crawford would win, but I expected it to at least be competitive....it wasn't.

Crawford's performance was one of the best, most dominating performances I have seen in a heavily-hyped, "50/50" fight going in.

Both Inoue and Crawford are INCREDIBLY special talents.  There's them, and then a wide gap until you get to "number 3"!

• Like 2

Yes, the two big fights turned into two big beatdowns. Although they ended up being uncompetitive in the end, Inoue and Crawford’s performances were truly something special. Clearly the two best right now. I have Usyk as my number 3, but it’s all subjective. Too bad Fury swerved him. I’m looking forward to Navarrete-Valdez in a couple of weeks. AJ-Whyte happens that day, too. I see Beterbiev-Smith has been postponed. On another note, I’d like to see Donaire retire, he’s had a fantastic career.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed Teraji-Budler today. Teraji’s on my ‘must see’ list. I always try to catch his fights. Good effort from Budler. Worth watching if you missed it.

Kudos to you on getting up early to watch it -- the 2.am. PST start time for the card was a little too early for me.  555

Nakatani is a BEAST at 115.  Really tall for that weight class.  I worked his last fight when he KO'd Moloney with an absolutely brutal shot.  Keep an eye on him -- he's gonna be special.

Hoping to see a Kenshiro-La Bomba unification fight.  I think they were close to getting it done and Gonzalez got hurt.  

• 1 month later...

I would NOT have placed Fury/Ngannou on this list, but Ngannou impressed.  He took Fury's best shots and didn't blink.

Fury looked fat as Hell, and the lead up to the fight had him at dinners and fucking aorund.  He didn't take it as serious as he should have....until he was knocked on his ass!

I'm watching and thinking of THIS scene from the original Rocky:

I think this will somewhat tarnish Tyson's legacy, him being knocked down by an MMA fighter making his boxing debut. And though the promotion tried hard to build up Francis as an MMA god, the reality is he doesn't have the highest status in the sport like Fedor, GSP and Jones do, and not so long ago he lost to Stripe and then to the extremely limited Derek Lewis (on the feet). 

But Francis gave a fantastic performance, and I'm delighted for him. He seems such a great guy. And it was amazing seeing all those boxing legends (Duran, SRL, Larry Holmes, Oscar etc), MMA legends (Rampage, Chuck Liddell, Randy etc) and other celebs gather for this spectacular event.

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

I would NOT have placed Fury/Ngannou on this list, but Ngannou impressed.  He took Fury's best shots and didn't blink.

Fury looked fat as Hell, and the lead up to the fight had him at dinners and fucking aorund.  He didn't take it as serious as he should have....until he was knocked on his ass!

I'm watching and thinking of THIS scene from the original Rocky:

That fight was definitely not what I expected 555

I’ve been checking the schedule for any fights to watch when I’m in Thailand next month, either in person or major fights to watch in a sports bar. Looks like some fights to watch over breakfast, but nothing that gets me too excited. I’m really looking forward to Bam-Edwards and Inoue-Tapales in December.