IGNORED

Updated testing requirements to enter the United States 12/02/2021

Roadglide

15 minutes ago, SureShot said:

Curious, does this apply to transiting through the US as well? 

I'm looking at flights and finally found one at a decent price from canada, but it transits through the US, each way.  Unsure how it applies to short stopovers (1.5 hours). 

Yes; all incoming passengers to the USA, including transit, go through immigration and must have a proper visa and meet the COVId testing requirements.   

28 minutes ago, SureShot said:

Curious, does this apply to transiting through the US as well? 

I'm looking at flights and finally found one at a decent price from canada, but it transits through the US, each way.  Unsure how it applies to short stopovers (1.5 hours). 

7 minutes ago, momo5 said:

Yes; all incoming passengers to the USA, including transit, go through immigration and must have a proper visa and meet the COVId testing requirements.   

Yep - from the travel blog I posted above:

What if I have a connecting flight through the US?

The new rule also applies to people merely connecting through the U.S., regardless of whether it is their final destination or a connection to another country.

• Like 2

I think the next line of defense is to also require a Covid test upon arrival to the US. It's been successful in keeping Thailand's case numbers down compared to most countries

Edited by mr21

19 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Yep - from the travel blog I posted above:

What if I have a connecting flight through the US?

The new rule also applies to people merely connecting through the U.S., regardless of whether it is their final destination or a connection to another country.

I agree, its about same as when we fly from the US to Thailand.

What ever country we transit thru, in my case its either Japan or Korea, I have to do the security (TSA) thing and and have my boarding pass and passport checked before interring the airport proper to head to the departure gate. 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

OK, where in Pattaya can we get one of these antigen test? Not the RT-PCR test but those the previous posters are writing about?  I'd think it should be almost any clinic.

23 hours ago, momo5 said:

Another benefit, to me anyway, is that the rapid antigen test has a lower chance of false positive results than the RT-PCR.   

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic  ??

• Luv2Phuket changed the title to Updated testing requirements to enter the United States 12/02/2021

NOTE:

There were 2 threads running on this topic so I merged them into this one.

Sorry for any confusion!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OKAY said:

OK, where in Pattaya can we get one of these antigen test? Not the RT-PCR test but those the previous posters are writing about?  I'd think it should be almost any clinic.

I ran a Google search and came up snake eyes - terms too broad, I think.

Curious to hear who others identify.

3 hours ago, OKAY said:

I am flying back to the UK Wednesday so this would be nice to know. All I can find via google seems to be PCR tests in the hospitals with full screening.

10 hours ago, jaynewcastle said:

Sorry, I'm not sure if you're being serious or sarcastic  ??

Quite serious.  Really suck to be prevented from returning home due to a false positive result.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/12/2021 at 15:17, Luv2Phuket said:

I ran a Google search and came up snake eyes - terms too broad, I think.

Curious to hear who others identify.

I noticed you recently flew with SingaporeAir. I am flying back to the US on January 2 with said airline. Can you confirm if they accept a Rapid Antigen Test? Their website indicates that they do although it has to be conducted by a professional clinic. I can get one at Bangkok Hospital for 700 baht. Would rather pay that much instead of 3500 for a PCR Test. Thanks in advance 

19 hours ago, Zizou Z said:

I noticed you recently flew with SingaporeAir. I am flying back to the US on January 2 with said airline. Can you confirm if they accept a Rapid Antigen Test? Their website indicates that they do although it has to be conducted by a professional clinic. I can get one at Bangkok Hospital for 700 baht. Would rather pay that much instead of 3500 for a PCR Test. Thanks in advance 

I flew on a Singapore VTL flight, so I had to have a PCR test within 48 hours of scheduled departure.

U.S. requirements did not factor into it.

And to be clear, it isn’t within 24 hrs of departure flight directly into the USA, it is THE DAY BEFORE. Easier than 24 hours.

Yes thanks for clarification. Return travel to US is one day before departure . I made an appointment for a rapid antigen test at two different hospitals. To the best of my knowledge both US immigration and Singapore airlines accept ART test which after asking hospital staff appear to be the same thing. So why pay triple the price for a PCR test. That’s only required for arrival to Thailand 

• 2 weeks later...

A question for any one who has recently or about to fly to America.

My girlfriend is returning to the United States within the next few days, she’s Thai born although holds a US passport. 
She’s familiar with her 24 hour testing requirements however, similar to the UK, is there any additional documentation she needs to complete prior to airport check-in for her JAL flight from Bangkok to New York via Tokyo please.

Baby-1.gif

15 hours ago, pentire said:

A question for any one who has recently or about to fly to America.

My girlfriend is returning to the United States within the next few days, she’s Thai born although holds a US passport. 
She’s familiar with her 24 hour testing requirements however, similar to the UK, is there any additional documentation she needs to complete prior to airport check-in for her JAL flight from Bangkok to New York via Tokyo please.

Following with interest, so please let us know how it works out for her, as I am intending/hoping to fly JAL back from BKK in late February.

I'm hoping a simple rapid antigen test will work.

One quick correction -- as noted in the posts immediately above your, it is the"day before," not "24 hours before." This is a very big deal for me, as my return flight to HND doesn't leave until around 10 p.m.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 22:26, Zizou Z said:

Yes thanks for clarification. Return travel to US is one day before departure . I made an appointment for a rapid antigen test at two different hospitals. To the best of my knowledge both US immigration and Singapore airlines accept ART test which after asking hospital staff appear to be the same thing. So why pay triple the price for a PCR test. That’s only required for arrival to Thailand 

Depends on your flight with Singapore. I did VTL flights to/from Thailand last time, and am flying a VTL flight into Phuket at the end of the month.

For a VTL flights, Singapore requires a negative PCR Test within 48 hours, regardless of what U.S. immigration will accept.

On 30/12/2021 at 13:26, Zizou Z said:

Hospitals names please ?

Edited by mastepriwe

BTW, for Singapore / airlines is the QR code mandatory on rapid antigen test result document ? As Medconsult clinic don't provide it, only provided for PCR test.

Edited by mastepriwe

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Following with interest, so please let us know how it works out for her, as I am intending/hoping to fly JAL back from BKK in late February.

I'm hoping a simple rapid antigen test will work.

One quick correction -- as noted in the posts immediately above your, it is the"day before," not "24 hours before." This is a very big deal for me, as my return flight to HND doesn't leave until around 10 p.m.

There are different types of rapid tests. You need to check. The US requires a VIRAL antigen test and not all places advertising rapid tests do VIRAL rapid antigen tests, hence the failsafe of just get an RT-PCR.

4 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Depends on your flight with Singapore. I did VTL flights to/from Thailand last time, and am flying a VTL flight into Phuket at the end of the month.

For a VTL flights, Singapore requires a negative PCR Test within 48 hours, regardless of what U.S. immigration will accept.

Wrong. Too lazy to pull it up, but I just flew back on a VTL flight last Sunday and rapid antigen test is okay 2 days before departure. Don’t waste your money on a PCR test. 

3 hours ago, mastepriwe said:

Hospitals names please ?

I went to Bangkok Hospital on Soi Petchburi. But you can really go to any hospital it doesn’t matter. I paid 700 baht for a rapid antigen test, which is better than paying 3,500 for a PCR test

19 minutes ago, BobLilly said:

There are different types of rapid tests. You need to check. The US requires a VIRAL antigen test and not all places advertising rapid tests do VIRAL rapid antigen tests, hence the failsafe of just get an RT-PCR.

BinaxNOW proctored through the NAVICA app works for entry to the US; done this with several entries in 2021. I carry two test kits with me when I travel.  

Will add that I’ve only transmitted through EU and ICN in 2021.   Not sure about it’s utility with other countries/airlines, as well as entry requirements to other countries, but it is certainly acceptable for the entry requirement to the US.  

Edited by momo5