IGNORED

Updated testing requirements to enter the United States 12/02/2021

Roadglide

If you are wanting to enter the United States as an international traveler you are now required to have a Covid test taken within one day of your departure.  This will go into effect the week of December 6th 2021

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/travel-insurance/omicron-update-the-latest-covid-19-requirements-for-returning-to-the-united-states/

I hope that Thailand doesn't decide to copy this...

Isn't it nice that the people making these stupid new rules all ride around in private jets, and the rules don't apply to them, only us common folk. 

• Like 2

Is it just one of those quick tests? I think they do testing at the airport? Does anybody know how long that takes? Or how much it costs? 

So,  Biden just imposed a requirement to have a Covid test within 24 hrs of departure for international flights to the US.  That ain’t going to be easy for a lot of people.  

Now rethinking my plans to travel to LOS in January.  Might get there but might not be able to return.

Bloody hell.  

36 minutes ago, cbmgolfer said:

So,  Biden just imposed a requirement to have a Covid test within 24 hrs of departure for international flights to the US.  That ain’t going to be easy for a lot of people.  

Now rethinking my plans to travel to LOS in January.  Might get there but might not be able to return.

Bloody hell.  

It's easy. MedConsult Clinic, Sukhumvit 49/9 Alley, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand

Open from 8 AM to 2PM. $51. I booked through some other site. Maybe it's cheaper if you go direct.

In and out quickly. But check your certificate carefully. They got my date of birth wrong and I was sweating bullets at the airport. (she checked with her supervisor and let me go. Phew!) Make sure all the info is correct before you leave.

Buy one of self test kits available in the US and bring it (or multiple just in case) with you. 
BinaxNOW is one and it’s readily available at places like CVS or you can order online.

If US requirements were PCR test only like Thailand, then it would be a big problem, but it’s not.
Antigen test is still accepted so doesn’t really matter whether 3 days or 1.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, kkjay77 said:

Buy one of self test kits available in the US and bring it (or multiple just in case) with you. 
BinaxNOW is one and it’s readily available at places like CVS or you can order online.

If US requirements were PCR test only like Thailand, then it would be a big problem, but it’s not.

The US state Dept web site says that self-tests are not acceptable unless supervised and certified by the manufacturer.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/covid-19-faqs-for-travel-to-the-us-information.html

"

• A self-test can be used if it meets the requirements of the order including real-time proctoring by a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test and that generates a test result that can be reviewed by the airline before boarding.    "
Edited by Biennial

34 minutes ago, kkjay77 said:

BinaxNOW over the counter won’t work for entry into the US. 

However, BinaxNOW with the NAVICA app allows remote supervision of the test and result within the app which is acceptable for travel back to the USA. I purchased through emed.com … $150 for six sealed test kits.  I travel with at least two just in case.  Takes all of 30 minutes in your hotel room, including waiting for the test kit to return a result.  I’ve done this a half dozen times now.   Hands down, bar none, the best way to secure a negative test for re-entry to the US.  

Edited by momo5
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Biennial said:

The US state Dept web site says that self-tests are not acceptable unless supervised and certified by the manufacturer.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/emergencies/covid-19-faqs-for-travel-to-the-us-information.html

"

• A self-test can be used if it meets the requirements of the order including real-time proctoring by a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test and that generates a test result that can be reviewed by the airline before boarding.    "

BinaxNOW with the NAVICA app meets the requirement.  

58 minutes ago, Biennial said:

It's easy. MedConsult Clinic, Sukhumvit 49/9 Alley, Khlong Tan Nuea, Watthana, Bangkok, Thailand

Open from 8 AM to 2PM. $51. I booked through some other site. Maybe it's cheaper if you go direct.

In and out quickly. But check your certificate carefully. They got my date of birth wrong and I was sweating bullets at the airport. (she checked with her supervisor and let me go. Phew!) Make sure all the info is correct before you leave.

Even easier than that with a little forethought to order BinaxNOW with NAVICA app test kit before you leave the US.  Been using these kits for a half dozen re-entries since June and it could not possibly be any easier or cheaper. 

• Like 2

Based on my experience US accepts Antigen test. A certificate (an officially looking piece of paper or a digital copy) is required. Since this test is quick and results are available in 15 minutes, it should not be overly taxing to get one a day before the departure.

I guess rapid PCR test is also possible - this would be more expensive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, momo5 said:

BinaxNOW over the counter won’t work for entry into the US. 

However, BinaxNOW with the NAVICA app allows remote supervision of the test and result within the app which is acceptable for travel back to the USA. I purchased through emed.com … $150 for six sealed test kits.  I travel with at least two just in case.  Takes all of 30 minutes in your hotel room, including waiting for the test kit to return a result.  I’ve done this a half dozen times now.   Hands down, bar none, the best way to secure a negative test for re-entry to the US.  

Ah, didn’t know one from CVS is different from the emed one. You, and others as well, saved me from a disaster. Thanks. 

Here is a blog on the subject:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/testing-window-for-returning-to-us/?utm_campaign=thepointsguy&utm_term=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&tw=1&utm_content=E454FAE6-5470-11EC-8F17-70B54744363C

His example re an overnight layover in Dubai confused the Hell outta me.

Key is the USA accepts the rapid antigen testing (spit in a test tube) that takes 15 minutes or less.

15 hours ago, momo5 said:

BinaxNOW with the NAVICA app meets the requirement.  

Thanks for the info.

So ... I assume the "supervision" is available 24/7

18 hours ago, Biennial said:

How long did it take for the results? 

2 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Here is a blog on the subject:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/testing-window-for-returning-to-us/?utm_campaign=thepointsguy&utm_term=editorial&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&tw=1&utm_content=E454FAE6-5470-11EC-8F17-70B54744363C

His example re an overnight layover in Dubai confused the Hell outta me.

Key is the USA accepts the rapid antigen testing (spit in a test tube) that takes 15 minutes or less.

Just don't overnight, keep your connection less than 8 or 12 hours and don't leave the secure side of the airport.

19 hours ago, anuglyone said:

Based on my experience US accepts Antigen test. A certificate (an officially looking piece of paper or a digital copy) is required. Since this test is quick and results are available in 15 minutes, it should not be overly taxing to get one a day before the departure.

Yes, it would be nice if they clarified when they announce this crap.

2 hours ago, Roadglide said:

How long did it take for the results? 

They were instantaneous. She swabbed me, and it seemed like the certificate was already printed while she was doing it.

So maybe they didn't really do the test. But make sure all the details are correct, otherwise ask them to fix it.

20 hours ago, Biennial said:

This is where I booked it:

https://www.kkday.com/en-us/product/119434-covid-19-pcr-test-with-fit-to-fly-certificate-bangkok-packages

But I got an antigen test, not PCR.

22 hours ago, cbmgolfer said:

Bloody hell.  

c'mon, this isn't hard. As others have said a rapid antigen test is all you need, and in this case all you want as you don't want to wait 24 hours for results.  Plus they are a lot cheaper than an RT-PCR. Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to go out and get it but I can't see how maybe an hour or at most two the day before you fly home will cause you to cancel your whole trip. It sure as hell isn't making me even consider cancelling mine next week.

14 minutes ago, Pablo Jones said:

c'mon, this isn't hard. As others have said a rapid antigen test is all you need, and in this case all you want as you don't want to wait 24 hours for results.  Plus they are a lot cheaper than an RT-PCR. Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the ass to have to go out and get it but I can't see how maybe an hour or at most two the day before you fly home will cause you to cancel your whole trip. It sure as hell isn't making me even consider cancelling mine next week.

Yeah, it's a lot easier than everything you need to get into Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pablo Jones said:

Another benefit, to me anyway, is that the rapid antigen test has a lower chance of false positive results than the RT-PCR.   

On 02/12/2021 at 21:41, anuglyone said:

I recently had an Antigen test done in Mexico before flying back to the states and it's not an inconvenience. Many pharmacies do them for $17 usd and it takes about 30 min total. It's about double the cost at the airport testing stations. 

• Like 2

Curious, does this apply to transiting through the US as well? 

I'm looking at flights and finally found one at a decent price from canada, but it transits through the US, each way.  Unsure how it applies to short stopovers (1.5 hours).