IGNORED

More tears--Windows 11 coming soon. Are you ready?

Garzan

19 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

so on my relatively new M1 powered MacBook I got Parallels (virtual machine running software), and Windows 10 to run on it... works good/OK/etc... I kinda like Windows 10, the look and feel, and features...

Off on a tangent to the topic, I used to be moderately rabid anti-Microsoft. I supported it at work, but my primary support job was with RHEL, and I had no Microsoft products in my home. As with many things, I mellowed after retirement. :-) 

While I could get any function I needed without using Microsoft, I got tired of the effort it took to find workarounds, and make the workarounds actually work. I wasn't getting paid for that effort anymore, and it was only costing me time, without giving me much satisfaction. I had a Windows 7 laptop I kept on a shelf to dig out when I absolutely couldn't manage a workaround and ended up trying Windows 10 on it. I liked it. 

I still have a copy of linux on a virtual machine I play with once in a while, but my desktop, HTPC, laptop, and tablet all run Windows 10. I'm okay with Microsoft in my home now. I'm looking forward to trying out Windows 11, and think I will like it even more. 

opensource.gif.82978d5c14b9b045a7e5aeaa02350b7c.gif

My how times change. :-) 

16 minutes ago, jaynewcastle said:

Anybody else feel like most of this thread is in a foreign language   :)

I feel the exact same way when someone starts talking sports. :-)

Edited by Garzan

I really hope in the coming W11. That they get rid of those annoying bloated app's. (Those half/pre installed app's" like candy crush etcetc. One off the best features is the ability to pause the new updates. So you can wait a few times till they patched the bug in there updates. That's so handy. The new store in W11 looks very promising nice en clean 2004443166.webp

2 hours ago, Garzan said:

I feel the exact same way when someone starts talking sports. :-)

Now sports I got covered as long as its the sport I follow. In the meantime I have just had my first venture into DOS. Now I know that I am brighter than at least 10% of the ten year old's I know so how hard could this be? Into DOS by starting the computer and hitting F2 , it was stunning in its colours and layout indeed it looked like a colour in crayon book, I was so happy. Next to me I had my laptop so that I could follow all the instructions I had gathered together easily. Now we come to the tragic bit there was none of the labels I was suppose to look for, I also couldn't find TPM2.0 or PTT or PSPTPM enabled or not enabled, I gingerly withdrew.

Started my computer again and entered BIOS, couldn't find any "Advanced Mode", but found "Advanced" couldn't find any "Settings" but found "Miscellaneous" there I found "settings" but could not find any "Enable TPM 2.0" nor any of the others I have mentioned. There was a small column of various letters stating not enabled, none made any sense to me so I thought I would enable them one at a time. On the third attempt the board went into Korean :OMFG: try as I may I could not find a back button and my Korean is not that good. So hoping I had not inadvertently saved anything I had done :25: I pressed the re-start button. There is a lord of something, as I still have a functioning computer, I think. 

Right my computer is 7 years old updated and I run a three screen system on it, but apparently that means it is ancient. So I had better start looking at what specs I will need to build a new one.

So Sir Garzen should you be trolling around on your steel steed and pass by my humble abode do stop off for some Earl Grey and a little instruction, as there are no 10 year old's.

16 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

So Sir Garzen should you be trolling around on your steel steed and pass by my humble abode do stop off for some Earl Grey and a little instruction, as there are no 10 year old's.

I would be happy to stop by and visit whenever possible, it's been a couple of years since I've been able to say hello in person. However, I have no idea when you all will no longer be a red province. I've already cancelled one routine trip down, and I'm getting close to pushing back my regular cardiology visit. 

There are still four more years of support left on Windows 10. I feel certain Pattaya will be open for return visits before then. When we're both in Pattaya, I'd be more than happy to say hello again, and do what I can to help. :-)

34 minutes ago, steveschumi said:

Those half/pre installed app's" like candy crush etcetc.

The are annoying. 

Start --> Settings --> Apps --> Apps & Features     Click on Candy Crush (or whatever) and then click on Uninstall. I routinely go through that listing and get rid of stuff I don't need or don't use. 

Sure, it would be better if they were not there in the first place, but the Marketing guys aren't going to let that happen. Fortunately, a good portion of them can be removed. 

As for pausing updates, I'm happy you like that feature. For myself, I'm enrolled in the Windows Insider Program and I generally install updates as soon as they are available. I even install the ones that only show up when you manually search for new updates. :-)

• Like 1

Was just reading that the CPU requirements were going to make a lot of older systems unsupported for Windows 11.

Details here if interested: https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22549725/microsoft-windows-11-cpu-support-tpm-hardware-requirements

18 minutes ago, Dave1986 said:

Was just reading that the CPU requirements were going to make a lot of older systems unsupported for Windows 11.

Yes, limiting CPUs to 8th Gen or newer is unfortunate. I hope that decision is modified before release. The only silver lining I see now is that specifications are still subject to change. 

My desktop, HTPC, and tablet are all 10th Gen devices but my laptop is 4th Gen. 

Yeah, i know. I have already removed those app's like xxxx times. Every time when there is an update or patch, they still come back. I'm at the point that i don't care anymore.

50 minutes ago, Garzan said:

The are annoying. 

Start --> Settings --> Apps --> Apps & Features     Click on Candy Crush (or whatever) and then click on Uninstall. I routinely go through that listing and get rid of stuff I don't need or don't use. 

Sure, it would be better if they were not there in the first place, but the Marketing guys aren't going to let that happen. Fortunately, a good portion of them can be removed. 

As for pausing updates, I'm happy you like that feature. For myself, I'm enrolled in the Windows Insider Program and I generally install updates as soon as they are available. I even install the ones that only show up when you manually search for new updates. :-)

Did a quick search and couldn't find the answer to this question. Will I be able to turn off automatic updates on Win 11? I can now on Win 10 as I have the Pro version. Any chance you've come across this critical, for me, piece of info?

32 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Did a quick search and couldn't find the answer to this question. Will I be able to turn off automatic updates on Win 11? I can now on Win 10 as I have the Pro version. Any chance you've come across this critical, for me, piece of info?

I haven't seen anything as of yet. I anticipate installing W11 next month when it's supposed to show up on the Insiders track. If I can remember that long, and I'm not making any promises, I'll take a look then. I'd be really surprised though if you couldn't at least pause updates if not turn off the automatic ones completely. 

I would be happy to stop by and visit whenever possible, it's been a couple of years since I've been able to say hello in person. However, I have no idea when you all will no longer be a red province. I've already cancelled one routine trip down, and I'm getting close to pushing back my regular cardiology visit. 

There are still four more years of support left on Windows 10. I feel certain Pattaya will be open for return visits before then. When we're both in Pattaya, I'd be more than happy to say hello again, and do what I can to help. :-)

My understanding is that we are no longer so, the lasses family have come to Pattaya then returned to Korat 4 days later and have just done so again within the last week without restrictions.

On 27/06/2021 at 05:37, Garzan said:

I feel the exact same way when someone starts talking sports. 🙂

For me they are not so much foreign as completely alien.

Love 15 off-side bios:Lost1:

People say to me "Pattaya is like Sodom and Gomera"

I say "it's not at all like that"

"Sodom and Gomera were mere prototypes, whereas Pattaya......"

I remember the good old days when only people who knew what they were doing had computers. 

On 27/06/2021 at 15:22, ocka said:

Not guaranteed.  See my experience with a brand new laptop in my post above.

Should have taken it back to them for a replacement or refund if it wasn’t working perfectly out of the box. 

On 27/06/2021 at 11:04, southsidebruce said:

I hadn't run Windows for years, had switched to Mac OS awhile back... recently I had a requirement to access some VERY old Quattro Pro files and couldn't find anything that would open them up, despite trying and trying and trying (lottsa google searches and attempts to use this and that, etc)... so on my relatively new M1 powered MacBook I got Parallels (virtual machine running software), and Windows 10 to run on it... works good/OK/etc... I kinda like Windows 10, the look and feel, and features... at any rate, that is my Windows experience (as well as several years of running DOS 3.3, etc and then Windows 3.1, XP - before changing over to Mac OS)... This is a YouTube video that I watched on Windows 11... the guy doing the review does a lot of TECH related reviews (he did a good one on the new Ford F150 Lightening, so he does cars as well, I guess)... Really like his videos, etc... 

This morning I checked for updates in my Windows 10 virtual machine running using Parallels on my MacBook Air M1, and Windows 11 was available... So, downloaded/installed it (actually it did it on its own, I just clicked go ahead and do it)... Seems to be OK so far, it loaded my desktop stuff shortcuts, background, etc - that I had from Windows 10... also downloaded and installed a .Net update after the Windows 11 update... So happy to report all looks OK so far on my virtual machine...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I found this opinion piece an interesting read. For the most part I tend to agree. I suspect the only real justification (if it's justification) to breaking the promise of W10 being the last OS with only updates past that is the hardware security changes going from recommended to required. I don't know that, it's only my guess. Still, I am looking forward to seeing it when it arrives. :-) 

Windows 11: It doesn't matter, and you shouldn't fall for the marketing | Windows Central

It's the morning after. I've woken up beside Windows 11, and, frankly, it doesn't look all that attractive anymore.

What I'm saying is, I don't agree with the fuss over the new OS, even as someone whose primary job here is to discuss Microsoft news on a site with Windows in the name. The operating system is, as an industry analyst whom I spoke with yesterday called it, a "marketing moment" for Microsoft. From where I'm sitting, it's nothing more than a mild facelift that is being used as an excuse to draft the media into manufacturing consumer interest.

The year is 2021. We have cryptocurrencies named after cartoon dogs ravaging economies, global superpowers affecting worldwide search engine results, billionaires who subject us all to annual Prime Days blasting off into space on personal rocketships ⁠— and people are losing sleep over a dinky operating system's Start menu aesthetics? Are you serious?

[opinion piece continues]

9 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

This morning I checked for updates in my Windows 10 virtual machine running using Parallels on my MacBook Air M1, and Windows 11 was available..

Are you on the Insider "Dev" track? I'm on the Insider "Beta" track and it's not showing up for me yet. I didn't really expect to see it on the "Beta" track until next month. Cool that you got to try it out though. :-) 

Are you on the Insider "Dev" track? I'm on the Insider "Beta" track and it's not showing up for me yet. I didn't really expect to see it on the "Beta" track until next month. Cool that you got to try it out though. :-) 

I am on the insider program, not sure which track... had to join the insider program to get a registered version of Windows 10 for Parallels... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

I'm on the 'I'll deal with it later when I have to' track.

It ain't what you do it's the way that you do it.

As an ex developer, it's obvious to me why they've broken their promise about W10. With hardware advances, security issues, etc, it would be a total mess to retain and maintain code for every old machine and piece of software out there. Progress on new, better would be stifled.

Why they didn't think of this when they made the promise, we'll never know. Probably came from Marketing, not Development.

On 29/06/2021 at 08:05, Arnie85 said:

Should have taken it back to them for a replacement or refund if it wasn’t working perfectly out of the box. 

Fat chance.  It didn't run aground until Micro$oft pushed a bloated new release of Windows 10 to it.  Not "working perfectly" in any sense of the words,  but not a warranty issue either.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

On 27/06/2021 at 00:53, Cerberus said:

On the third attempt the board went into Korean :OMFG: try as I may I could not find a back button and my Korean is not that good. So hoping I had not inadvertently saved anything I had done :25: I pressed the re-start button. There is a lord of something, as I still have a functioning computer, I think. 

I had a similar experience when I bought my newer (to me) motherboard used on Ebay. It shipped from Hong Kong and during boot and in BIOS displayed characters. My response was "Uh Oh"...but by cautious changes in BIOS I managed to enable English...whew!

Haven't checked that system for TPM yet but my older systems apparently lack it (screen shots follow), while a laptop has Ver 1.2 which is now reportedly allowed. The following links indicate that a TPM module may be available for certain motherboards and the install process can be hacked if one wants to opt out of the requirements altogether. I'm not planning on rushing out anytime soon to dump discretionary income based on how the wind is blowing that day at MS. Win 11 will be on my "to do" list though. Good luck on your system. :)

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/28/youll-be-able-to-bypass-windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement/

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-check-tpm-version-windows-11/

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/no-tpm-trusted-platform-module-in-your-pc-no-problems-heres-how-to-fit-one/3/

TPM checks on older and newer systems: 

TMP_Checks.jpg

Edited by CyberPro
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, CyberPro said:

I had a similar experience when I bought my newer (to me) motherboard used on Ebay. It shipped from Hong Kong and during boot and in BIOS displayed characters. My response was "Uh Oh"...but by cautious changes in BIOS I managed to enable English...whew!

Haven't checked that system for TPM yet but my older systems apparently lack it (screen shots follow), while a laptop has Ver 1.2 which is now reportedly allowed. The following links indicate that a TPM module may be available for certain motherboards and the install process can be hacked if one wants to opt out of the requirements altogether. I'm not planning on rushing out anytime soon to dump discretionary income based on how the wind is blowing that day at MS. Win 11 will be on my "to do" list though. Good luck on your system. :)

https://www.windowslatest.com/2021/06/28/youll-be-able-to-bypass-windows-11-tpm-2-0-requirement/

https://www.makeuseof.com/how-to-check-tpm-version-windows-11/

https://www.zdnet.com/pictures/no-tpm-trusted-platform-module-in-your-pc-no-problems-heres-how-to-fit-one/3/

TPM checks on older and newer systems: 

TMP_Checks.jpg

Excellent information, thank you. I now know that my LT should be fine and I now need to see if the board on my DT computer can be updated, as in its present form it does not comply.

Have to love this board at times like this.

• 4 weeks later...

Just as a heads up, Windows 11 has landed in the Insider Beta Channel instead of just the Dev channel. I'm in the process of downloading it now.