IGNORED

More tears--Windows 11 coming soon. Are you ready?

Garzan

I guess that means the majority of people who are not computer literate will never update to Win11. I thought the beauty of Windows was the fact you could turn on and use, even the thought of entering BIOS has me running for cover.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bangna said:

I guess that means the majority of people who are not computer literate will never update to Win11. I thought the beauty of Windows was the fact you could turn on and use, even the thought of entering BIOS has me running for cover.

Worst case, you get the next door neighbor 10 year old to come over and do it for you. 555 The video 'seems' clear to me, but doing that sort of thing used to be my job. I suspect that if the 'check to see if you're ready' app fails, the local computer center shop wherever someone lives could get it all sorted out if there were no neighborhood 10 year olds around. :-)

I know there can be reasonable concerns about entering the bios on a computer. But there should be some low to no cost options to help with that.

Mostly though, I wanted to pass along the information to not go out and overpay for a hardware TPM module from some online ripoff shop when you might have the firmware equivalent already within your computer. 

Edited by Garzan

1 minute ago, Garzan said:

Worst case, you get the next door neighbor 10 year old to come over and do it for you. 555 The video 'seems' clear to me, but doing that sort of thing used to be my job. I suspect that if the 'check to see if you're ready' app fails, the local computer center shop wherever someone lives could get it all sorted out if there were no neighborhood 10 year olds around. :-)

Unfortunately the next door neighbour is 82 y.o. but I get where you're coming from.

If Microsoft can't automate a process then I feel many will fail to benefit from the undoubted improvements.

• Haha 1

Yes, I'm still on Windows XP as i write this reply on my desktop, i for one won't be rushing to upgrade to Windows 11 on my 2 laptops from what i see many computers won't be able to upgrade anyway due to CPU issues and only certain much newer computers will be able to, Windows 10 has been such a pain over the years especially with the monthly updates Microsoft never seem to get right, My Windows desktop is still going strong running Windows XP which today has aways been the best for me even without any support these days.

• Like 1

I'll probably wait until I get a new laptop in a couple years to make the shift. Not worth the hassle as there will likely be compatibility issues when it first comes out.

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

Running win 7 here with no problems.Think I will stick with that.For anyone wondering what a TPM is this is the internet definition i got.

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) is a computer chip (microcontroller) that can securely store artifacts used to authenticate the platform (your PC or laptop). ... A TPM can also be used to store platform measurements that help ensure that the platform remains trustworthy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, good to know Win 11 will be free and coming later this year since I was planning to upgrade/rebuild my desktop PC, but hardware parts were not available:  i.e. AMD Ryzen 5 or 7, MB, RAM.  Last time I upgraded my PC hardware was in 2016 when I also upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10, so after 5 yrs, I am due for a hardware upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, joeaf said:

since I was planning to upgrade/rebuild my desktop PC, but hardware parts were not available

Yes, I don't think there are enough curses in the world for how I feel about crypto miners. 555 I got my desktop most of the way done. I went Intel instead of AMD, and went from a 4th Gen i5 to a 10th Gen i9. I'm wasn't able to get the graphics card I want for it yet. I've already been waiting over a year, and who knows if the level of graphics card I want will be back to a reasonable price (and obtainable) within another year. SSDs are getting difficult (and expensive) too. 

Windows 11 has some graphics enhancements built in, like HDR, assuming you have the hardware to display it. I'm also looking forward to how, and how well the Android inside of Windows works. It's kinda-sorta possible to do Android apps through Your Phone, but not really. 

26 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Yes, I don't think there are enough curses in the world for how I feel about crypto miners. 555 I got my desktop most of the way done. I went Intel instead of AMD, and went from a 4th Gen i5 to a 10th Gen i9. I'm wasn't able to get the graphics card I want for it yet. I've already been waiting over a year, and who knows if the level of graphics card I want will be back to a reasonable price (and obtainable) within another year. SSDs are getting difficult (and expensive) too. 

Windows 11 has some graphics enhancements built in, like HDR, assuming you have the hardware to display it. I'm also looking forward to how, and how well the Android inside of Windows works. It's kinda-sorta possible to do Android apps through Your Phone, but not really. 

With China cracking down on crypto mining I think that gold rush is going to end.

Regards Windows 11, I checked my system and it is not compatible, going to try switching it on in bios as per your great link, which was as clear as any 70 year old could ask for, being somewhat older than that I may have to start looking for a 10 year old without being arrested.

Edited by Cerberus

Checked my laptop, Asus 4k with NV 1050, which was quality in its day and still works a treat. But the i7 7700 is not supported and no option in bios. 

Not sure if I'll upgrade some day or just switch to Mac once the newer M1x chips come out. Most of my PC usage is just for Plex server and music production anyway. Use my phone for just about everything else.

Online reviews of Win 11 are starting to appear.

One on YouTube had the view that on the face of it it appears a relatively minor upgrade, albeit with some nice features the reviewer liked. Said there could be 'more under the bonnet' then is apparent, but felt it was more a refresh which also positioned MS to better compete against Apple and Google /Android. 

No doubt there will be plenty of more reviews, opinion etc coming on it all.

Also I thought when they released Win 10, after leaping from Win 8, no Win 9, they said no major releases but incremental changes etc in future?

Never say never I guess.

Life must be lived forward, but can only be understood backwards.

They are saying that most motherboards and machines built after 2017 have the required TPM 2.0 installed.

Also W10 will be supported for another 4 yrs by which time any too old machines will be around 8 yrs old so an upgrade isn’t that onerous.

My gripe is that M$ promised that W10 would be their last OS version and everything would be an upgrade from it…but no.

Not a good idea to be using a pc with Windows XP on the internet nowadays though!

I installed it on a virtual machine a while back and it was scanned and hacked even before I had run an update!

Look at Ubuntu for older machines…much much safer though a learning curve to switch to Linux from Windows it isn’t too bad nowadays.

Also you can buy W10 keys on eBay for like £10…just no reason not to have a supported operating system nowadays.

Getting hacked will really fuck up your life if you use your pc regularly especially online shopping and banking.

Be safe out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, article22 said:

Also W10 will be supported for another 4 yrs by which time any too old machines will be around 8 yrs old so an upgrade isn’t that onerous.

My gripe is that M$ promised that W10 would be their last OS version and everything would be an upgrade from it…but no.

Yes, Windows 10 support goes to October 14, 2025 so there is no rush. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro There are still several years to go with Windows 10 security patches and updates. 

I also agree with you about Microsoft's "promise". This is just a wild-ass guess, but I suspect the hardware security changes prompted reneging on that "promise". Microsoft has always had a struggle with retaining backward compatibility. It's hard to move forward when you have to keep dragging obsolete code along with you. My guess is the decision was made to not drag a less secure model forward past 2025. Keeping to their "promise" would not have allowed that.

7 hours ago, frantick said:

Checked my laptop, Asus 4k with NV 1050, which was quality in its day and still works a treat. But the i7 7700 is not supported and no option in bios. 

I was reading this morning that Microsoft has acknowledged their compatibility test application sucks. (To use a highly technical term.) There is a new release of it that is suppose to be more descriptive as to 'why'. I feel certain there will be more releases of the tool with more complete explanations of 'why'. 

While likely not any help to a laptop, there are installable TPM modules for motherboards that support them.

asus-tpm-module_feature.jpg

The biggest reason for me to start this thread though was the stories of people getting ripped off buying the little TPM modules when all they needed was to flip a software switch they already had. 

And since I have been excessively using an acronym, here's more on what this TPM stuff is, and a little more about why Microsoft is being a pain in the butt about it.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

Edited by Garzan

6 minutes ago, Garzan said:

I was reading this morning that Microsoft as acknowledged their compatibility test application sucks. (To use a highly technical term.) There is a new release of it that is suppose to be more descriptive as to 'why'. I feel certain there will be more releases of the tool with more complete explanations of 'why'. 

While likely not any help to a laptop, there are installable TPM modules for motherboards that support them.

asus-tpm-module_feature.jpg

The biggest reason for me to start this thread though was the stories of people getting ripped off buying the little TPM modules when all they needed was to flip a software switch they already had. 

And since I have been excessively using an acronym, here's more on what this TPM stuff is, and a little more about why Microsoft is being a pain in the butt about it.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/25/22550376/microsoft-windows-11-tpm-chips-requirement-security

I had started to investigate this morning prior to venturing into dos, I was about to throw the lot into a bucket and buy a pen and some paper when I saw this post. Think I will follow your original video and see what happens then.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, article22 said:

Also you can buy W10 keys on eBay for like £10…just no reason not to have a supported operating system nowadays.

Nah, there will always be the, "You can have my Windows XP when you pry my cold dead fingers off it" crowd. 555 It doesn't matter how many compelling reasons there are NOT to connect an antique, unpatched, and unsupported computer operating system to the global Internet, you can't bring logic to an emotional argument. Windows XP is still a fine, and familiar operating system. The only issue with it is when someone plugs in an ethernet cable, or makes a wifi connection to it. :-) 

It's sort of like a syphilitic crack whore on some skanky old flop house mattress. She's probably a wonderful person with may redeeming qualities. The issue comes when you go to stick your dick in that disease-ridden snatch. Don't stick your dick into it, no worries. Stick your dick into it and you open yourself up to all sorts of worries. 555 Up until you connect an unpatched and unsupported system to the web, there are no worries...

Also, even without a license key, Windows 10 functions just fine without paying a satang. You're stuck with a nag wallpaper trying to guilt you into paying for it, but the OS will function just fine.  

It’s nuts changing your OS in an old system. Just buy a new updated system every five or six years from a reputable supplier and use the preinstalled system and hardware as it is, it’s all been put together synergistically and will work perfectly out of the box. New hardware and software is going to run like shit on an old PC.  Old in computing terms is five years, being generous. 

Edited by Arnie85

I just checked my Acer laptop using the run function as suggested in the video, and i got the all clear ready to go.....

52 minutes ago, Garzan said:

Windows XP is still a fine, and familiar operating system. The only issue with it is when someone plugs in an ethernet cable, or makes a wifi connection to it. :-) 

The biggest issue is that hardware makers don't write drivers for old operating systems.

It was the purchase of a new laser printer that forced me to endure the six months of raging misery and wasted money that was an upgrade from XP to Windows 10 on my home desktop.  

My laptop,  which came with windows 10 in the first place,  is still not right,  even after I installed an extra SSD to cope with all the Microsoft bloat.  (I know how to fix it, it needs a complete reinstall of the OS. I just haven't been willing to waste the days yet.)

After 40 years as a software developer,  it was bad enough having to go through all that crap in the workplace when I was getting paid for it.   I certainly won't be doing it voluntarily any time soon.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

52 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

it’s all been put together synergistically and will work perfectly out of the box.

Not guaranteed.  See my experience with a brand new laptop in my post above.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

1 hour ago, yozz said:

I just checked my Acer laptop using the run function as suggested in the video, and i got the all clear ready to go.....

:wacko: Just checked my Acer Aspire E15 - him no go.... 

I hadn't run Windows for years, had switched to Mac OS awhile back... recently I had a requirement to access some VERY old Quattro Pro files and couldn't find anything that would open them up, despite trying and trying and trying (lottsa google searches and attempts to use this and that, etc)... so on my relatively new M1 powered MacBook I got Parallels (virtual machine running software), and Windows 10 to run on it... works good/OK/etc... I kinda like Windows 10, the look and feel, and features... at any rate, that is my Windows experience (as well as several years of running DOS 3.3, etc and then Windows 3.1, XP - before changing over to Mac OS)... This is a YouTube video that I watched on Windows 11... the guy doing the review does a lot of TECH related reviews (he did a good one on the new Ford F150 Lightening, so he does cars as well, I guess)... Really like his videos, etc... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

Anybody else feel like most of this thread is in a foreign language   :)

I'm pretty sure I'll be using Windows 10 for several years at least & probably until I buy my next PC in 10-15 years time (or whenever this one breaks)  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

^ Yes.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.