IGNORED

Honda PCX Hybrid 2020

Yabusaki

1 hour ago, article22 said:

Also from 2019 it had ABS also though it isn’t that needed unless braking hard in the wet...hopefully everyone slows down when riding in dodgy conditions?!

My 2018 model has ABS. And LED lights- brilliant at night.

A lot of riders make this point about ABS but I disagree strongly.

We generally brake hard in 2 events. Either the unexpected happens or we lose concentration.

The reason I disagree is simply that taking skidding out of an emergency braking situation improves safety. Period.

I have done abs brake tests from 100kph in a car on a track in an advanced driving course. The same principle applies on a bike. After all, physics is physics...

A car once pulled out on me (turned without giving way) and I had to apply emergency braking on the PCX. The ABS worked brilliantly.

Part of the reason ithe ABS came in handy was that I grabbed too much brake when I reacted instead of squeezing progressively as I should have - (I only have about 4k klms under my belt) - so anything that protects us from ourselves - especially in emergency situations is good in my book.

Sure, on the track or on dirt roads, ABS would be more of a hindrance than help but on a scooter, especially in damp or wet conditions, it can improve safety a lot in emergency situations.

I apologise for pontificating here but.... safety...

Edited by 1500B

4 hours ago, article22 said:

Also never wear the freebie helmet Mityon gives you, they are terrible.

Agree 100%. In the past I've been able to turn down the "free" helmet for a discount off the price of the bike. (Meaning the crap helmet isn't actually "free".) The helmets you get with a bike purchase are only good for meeting the letter of the law. They are useless if you find yourself in a situation where you need a helmet for it's design purpose. 

• Like 3

Totally agree that in general ABS is a wonderful thing...just disagreeing with the application on smaller and smaller bikes.

You will see them on skateboards soon! :wink:

In 25 yrs of riding bikes, I have never had an accident where ABS would have saved me, it was always my fault!

I have locked up the front when panic braking on a BMW but remembered in time to take my fingers off and cadence brake so I didn’t crash...still my fault at not seeing the danger in time of course.

Most scooter crashes are normally low speed tumbles or a car hitting you through inattention or alcohol...and ABS doesn’t do much unfortunately.

It can help in those 0.001% crashes where the planets align to fuck you up but don’t bank on it!

Wearing good quality gear will definitely help though...never scrimp on the helmet!

• Like 3

Greetings,

After conducting a thorough research and interviewing several non-Honda motorbike shop owners, I found out that if your Hybrid has some type of mechanical or electrical problems no mechanics or technicians in Thailand are competent to fix or resolve the issues! That's a major concerns as a buyer so I decided to purchase 2020 Honda PCX 150 rather than Hybrid model! Any comments?

Also, popular souped-up shop owner in Pattaya recommended changing or replacing following items to make PCX safer and more enjoyable:

1.  New mirrors

2.  New Shocks

3.  New Seat

4.  New foot carpet

5.  New rear foot peg

6.  New Grips for handle bars

7.  New brake levels

8.  Install Projector Led Lights

9.  Rims Stickers

10. Variation Kit to increase speed and give additional kicks

11. New Hook to carry helmet

Total price, I don't know but you can't put a price tag on my health, safety and enjoyment!

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Yabusaki
Spell check and additional comments

Hang Loose, mongoose!

15 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

After conducting a thorough research and interviewing several non-Honda motorbike shop owners, I found out that if your Hybrid has some type of mechanical or electrical problems no mechanics or technicians in Thailand are competent to fix or resolve the issues! That's a major concerns as a buyer so I decided to purchase 2020 Honda PCX 150 rather than Hybrid model! Any comments?

Also, popular souped-up shop owner in Pattaya recommended changing or replacing following items to make PCX safer and more enjoyable:

1.  New mirrors

2.  New Shocks

3.  New Seat

4.  New foot carpet

5.  New rear foot peg

6.  New Grips for handle bars

7.  New brake levels

8.  Install Projector Led Lights

9.  Rims Stickers

10. Variation Kit to increase speed and give additional kicks

11. New Hook to carry helmet

Total price, I don't know but you can't put a price tag on my health, safety and enjoyment!

Good decision on not buying the Hybrid as that appears to be a valid concern.

Though some of the items on the list may be obviously needed for your needs, I would ride it around for a month or so before I replaced anything else.

Anything that sticks out as bothersome, then upgrade it then.

Edited by LASportsNut
  • Like 4

The only thing the PCX needs is a handlebar hook for carrying shopping bags.

You need the best helmet you can afford which fits properly (hold helmet and try to turn head left and right, it should not move, it should be smug tight not really really tight)

If you are going on longer trips then touring upgrades (screen, handlebar phone mount etc) would make the trip more pleasant.

Other than that, enjoy probably the best scooter ever made! (though I am biased :))

• Like 2

1 hour ago, article22 said:

The only thing the PCX needs is a handlebar hook for carrying shopping bags.

You need the best helmet you can afford which fits properly (hold helmet and try to turn head left and right, it should not move, it should be smug tight not really really tight)

If you are going on longer trips then touring upgrades (screen, handlebar phone mount etc) would make the trip more pleasant.

Other than that, enjoy probably the best scooter ever made! (though I am biased :))

Greetings,

Thanks for the advice on helmets! Yesterday, I spent 9,500 bhat in purchasing the best helmet for motorbikes! It's called Flyon Caberg helmet made in Italy. Temporarily, I took the face shield off so I can see better! The helmet also comes with polarized dark sun shield.

DSC_0071.JPG

• Like 2

Hang Loose, mongoose!

3 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

I have to agree with a prior comment--ride it for a month before you go spending too much on customizing it. Having just said that, the one change I immediately make to any new bike purchases is the reflective rim stickers to increase side visibility. 

wiwqh5.jpg

Another thing I do for my Scooters but not for the wife's, since she says, 'look not good', is to put on a top box and or panniers. Panniers would likely be too much on a PCX, if you could even find them. Top boxes are handy to lock up expensive helmets, and to get hanging shopping bags out of the way of your legs and steering. 

A possible source is here --> http://www.gtautobike.com/product_743986_th

The majority of that list you got from MaiThai I would say was personal preference more than needed safety improvements. As mentioned previously, the PCX is a fine bike right off the showroom floor. :-)

Ride it for a while. If something isn't to your liking after you've give the stock version a test, then change it out for aftermarket. 

And if you really want to go wild, you could get CVG in Bangkok to design you a set of reflective wheel and body stickers.

Facebook Business Link -> https://www.facebook.com/cvgmotobike

12401919_553146068176397_490619523266985

You could even have the wheels say "Yabusaki" instead of "PCX 150" if you wanted. :-)

Edited by Garzan
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Garzan said:

And if you really want to go wild, you could get CVG in Bangkok to design you a set of reflective wheel and body stickers.

Facebook Business Link -> https://www.facebook.com/cvgmotobike

12401919_553146068176397_490619523266985

You could even have the wheels say "Yabusaki" instead of "PCX 150" if you wanted. :-)

Greetings,

Thanks for the advice! Also, good one, I couldn't stop laughing!

IMHO, money is nothing, money comes and go but injury or death is a one time deal so I don't mind spending extra large sum of money for safety and comfort!

Thank you

Edited by Yabusaki
  • Like 1

Hang Loose, mongoose!

41 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Thanks for the advice! Also, good one, I couldn't stop laughing!

When I had my PCX I had non-reflective H2C (Honda factory accessories) custom graphics put on the PCX body by the dealership. I got my reflective rim stickers through MaiThai. It didn't make it any faster, but it did make it more identifiable out of a row of bikes that all looked pretty much the same. :-) 

Not a great view of my old PCX, but enough to get the idea...

20141014_152942.thumb.jpg.d77e63c7634cfc98c2ebf69d00833717.jpg

Edited by Garzan
senior memory moment.

I wouldn't put any panniers or a top box on a PCX!

You have enough space under the seat for 2 small helmets anyway.

Side panniers or top boxes make the bike less steady and wider which is not a good idea of someone riding for the first time on a new bike!

Get the handlebar hook and that should be enough storage along with the under seat area.

See how much late night riding you do, I very very rarely ride in the dark in Pattaya...if you are going out to a bar drinking then *do not* ride.

People drive cars drunk and risk killing others, on a bike you will die...so don't be an idiot please.

On 14/12/2020 at 09:19, Yabusaki said:

Good Morning,

The Pattaya Driving School is authorized to provide only computerized questionnaire test but the rest you must take at the Department of Land Transportation!

As far as i am aware the test you sit at the Driving School / Tik Toks is just a trial run i.e. a teaching aid. You have to sit it again in person at the DLT although the two were about 85% the same.

This was my experience anyway but it may have changed.

• Like 2

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

I know you decided on the normal PCX but here is a video review from Thailand of the PCX Hybrid

https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=10750

The guy likes it, though I still don't think it is worth it over the standard PCX...

Pros:

1. Cool tech!

2. Better economy (~10%)

3. Better low down performance (+30% low down torque in the 1st 4 secs)

Cons:

1. More expensive (~8%)

2. Half the underseat space

3. More electronic tech to go wrong

4. Guessing the servicing costs will be higher also

It seems to solve a problem no one was interested in solving! If it was a full EV then it would make more sense in the current growing movement towards phasing out combustion engines.

11 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

Thanks for the advice on helmets! Yesterday, I spent 9,500 bhat in purchasing the best helmet for motorbikes! It's called Flyon Caberg helmet made in Italy. Temporarily, I took the face shield off so I can see better! The helmet also comes with polarized dark sun shield.

DSC_0071.JPG

You did make me chuckle :)

There is a Ducati shop on Central Pattaya Soi (https://goo.gl/maps/uxLU1HecLk2UVQQ29) who sell Arai, who are the best manufacturer of helmets in the world!

I have owned 5 now over my 25 yrs of riding and would not use anything else when riding bigger bikes in the UK.

In Thailand spending 30,000 baht or more on a helmet is not really justified when riding a scooter imo...so the helmet you bought and the one I ended up with is perfectly fine.

As long as it has the proper kitemarks on the back to show it has been properly tested, and it is comfortable and well made then it should last you a long time.

Just remember, if you drop it onto a hard surface then it is *toast*! Buy a new one...it has a special layer which absorbs the force coming through and it will not work again properly...a lot of people forgot about this.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, article22 said:

See how much late night riding you do, I very very rarely ride in the dark in Pattaya...if you are going out to a bar drinking then *do not* ride.

Second the advice in this thread. The handlebar hook (linked above) works really well, a phone holder if you are going to use GPS and the Rim stickers if you are going to ride at night.

One thing you will love about the PCX is the LED lighting - it is streets ahead of most Scooters (and motorcycles) and does a great job of illuminating as well letting road users know you are coming. No upgrade needed.

Night time generally takes on a different feeling in Thailand for riding because there are so many more alcohol affected drivers and riders vs the West.

Many of the guys in Isaan choose not to ride at night because of this.

• Thanks 2

I would think twice about the top box.  Placing items in there is not wise.  You are moving the center of gravity up and to the rear of the bike.  This will effect your handling and is not an idea situation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roadglide said:

I would think twice about the top box.  Placing items in there is not wise.  You are moving the center of gravity up and to the rear of the bike.  This will effect your handling and is not an idea situation.

That is true... but probably of little significance. A TG on the back is around 50KG. A fully loaded top box is probably 6-7 KG including the box itself.

A top box is one of those things that the OP can figure he needs or doesn't based on riding around for a month or two before deciding.

For the OP, riding with a passenger will affect, particularly your braking distance. And your handling somewhat. It is definitely recommended to ride without a pillion until you have some experience and competence. Once you have that, so some practice rides in quiet areas before tackling busy streets and small, crowded Sois.

Most TG's will have lots of experience. For anyone that doesn't, just tell them to NOT do anything special - they can just sit there and let you do the riding - just like a top box. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, article22 said:

There is a Ducati shop on Central Pattaya Soi (https://goo.gl/maps/uxLU1HecLk2UVQQ29) who sell Arai, who are the best manufacturer of helmets in the world!

Well, so long as we are throwing out opinions, I'd consider Shark Helmets, a French company the best safety rated helmets. And since I started riding at 17 and I'm now 65, that's what, 48 years of riding experience? :-)

https://us.shark-helmets.com/pages/shark-motorcycle-helmets-safety

My own personal choice is the Shark Evoline 3. It came out in 2012 so it's not really in Shark's current line. It has the advantage of being an open face helmet, or a full face helmet depending on how you configure the helmet. And so far as I know, it's one of the few modular helmets that carry a safety rating for both open and closed configurations. :-)

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shark-evoline-3-st-helmet-solid-colors?sku_id=836024

Shark-evoline-3-modular-crash-helmet.jpg

Mine was purchased through the YourHelmet Shop in Bangkok. https://www.yourhelmetshop.com/ When it's time to replace my Evoline 3, I'll replace it with whichever is Shark's current modular helmet. That's currently the Evo One 2

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Roadglide said:

By that argument, best not ever have a passenger. :-) They weigh a WHOLE lot more than any top box is going to. Especially when most of the time they will likely be empty. 

Edited by Garzan

14 hours ago, article22 said:

You did make me chuckle :)

Not now there's not, it's gone from there and I don't think they've relocated anywhere else.

And agree with you about Arai helmets, absolutely fantastic helmets they are.

14 hours ago, Garzan said:

By that argument, best not ever have a passenger. :-) They weigh a WHOLE lot more than any top box is going to. Especially when most of the time they will likely be empty. 

18 hours ago, 1500B said:

That is true... but probably of little significance. A TG on the back is around 50KG. A fully loaded top box is probably 6-7 KG including the box itself.

A top box is one of those things that the OP can figure he needs or doesn't based on riding around for a month or two before deciding.

For the OP, riding with a passenger will affect, particularly your braking distance. And your handling somewhat. It is definitely recommended to ride without a pillion until you have some experience and competence. Once you have that, so some practice rides in quiet areas before tackling busy streets and small, crowded Sois.

Most TG's will have lots of experience. For anyone that doesn't, just tell them to NOT do anything special - they can just sit there and let you do the riding - just like a top box. 

I would disagree with both of you in regards to hauling a passenger is the same as loading up a top box.  Your passenger will most likely be in front of or directly over the rear axle, while a top box will be far behind that axle center line, also a 50kg girl will have a lot of weight down lower than the level of a top box.  

Just be careful and pay attention to the center of gravity when loading up a bike with cargo or passengers as this will change the way the bike handles. 

20 hours ago, 1500B said:

Most TG's will have lots of experience.

And a lot of them will have the scars to prove it.

Just be careful.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Roadglide said:

And a lot of them will have the scars to prove it.

It is difficult to find a Thai without some sort of bike related scars. In my case, all my bike related scars all happened after decades of riding scar-free in the  US, and only after moving to Thailand.