IGNORED

Honda PCX Hybrid 2020

Yabusaki

Greetings,

Tomorrow, I'll be starting 10 hours of motorbike training and defensive driving course given by Pattaya Driving School! Afterwards, I'll purchase a Honda PCX HYBRID from Mityon Honda Dealer. 

Members who owned Honda PCX Hybrid 2020, could you please give a short reviews, pros and cons on driving Hybrid scooter around Pattaya?

Thanks in advance

Hang Loose, mongoose!

I am really happy you decided to get some training.

It does not guarantee your safety but it definitely increases it x 100.

I was also looking to buy a Honda PCX 150 whenever I get a condo in 2021.

Keep us posted on what bike you settle on and why.

I was undecided between the hybrid and the standard.

Also undecided between 2020 or 2021. I read 2021 has a PCX 160 version.

1 hour ago, Yabusaki said:

Greetings,

Tomorrow, I'll be starting 10 hours of motorbike training and defensive driving course given by Pattaya Driving School! Afterwards, I'll purchase a Honda PCX HYBRID from Mityon Honda Dealer. 

Members who owned Honda PCX Hybrid 2020, could you please give a short reviews, pros and cons on driving Hybrid scooter around Pattaya?

Thanks in advance

Hey Yabusaki, 

Could you tell me more about the course you are taking with the driving school? I'm toying with the idea of doing the same thing. 

1. How much does it cost

2. Do you get a motorcycle after the course, or will they at least arrange a test the relevant ministry to get one. 

• Like 2

Is the training centre authorised to conduct tests and issue license or do you still have to attend the LTO?

4 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

Tomorrow, I'll be starting 10 hours of motorbike training and defensive driving course given by Pattaya Driving School!

Awesome plan mate.

At the end of 10 hours, you will feel like, "I've got this!". And you will cement some safe riding habits that will last a lifetime. The things you will see other people do on the streets will blow your mind!

Make it a goal to have fun!!

BTW, make sure you learn how to use the centre stand during your course (it is easy - push down, lift up). It provides more stability than the side stand where the ground is uneven and can save space, important for parking in Patts.

4 hours ago, Yabusaki said:

You may be the only one. Pete Brown on Youtube had a (maybe 2015 or 2016 PCX), then bought a 2019 Hybrid and was hoping for a 10% improvement in take off over the gas model but was unable to confirm.

You will lose some room under the seat in the Hybrid. The Hybrid system should work really well in Patts with so much stop-start traffic. You'll find you don't really go past 40 kph on most of your rides because of the speed limit and heavy traffic but 2020 Covid time is a the best chance you will ever have to learn to ride safely and competently.

Can recommend you buy/negotiate a decent helmet and wear decent gloves despite what you see on the roads. There is a small hook for your helmet under the seat on the left hand side closest the handlebars - it is very handy.

I can recommend this hook for the handlebars so you can hang a grocery bag. It fits perfectly.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000857263721.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76a24c4doSxS8s

8 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

I am really happy you decided to get some training.

It does not guarantee your safety but it definitely increases it x 100.

I was also looking to buy a Honda PCX 150 whenever I get a condo in 2021.

Keep us posted on what bike you settle on and why.

I was undecided between the hybrid and the standard.

Good Morning,

I'm also Los Angeles Rams fan since 1967!

My first choice was Honda ADV 150 but the bike was too heavy to handle and I won't use the bike on off-roads!

After visiting the dealer, watching the videos and research, I selected Honda PCX Hybrid because the bike is lighter, not too high and has slightly more kicks than standard PCX!

I would recommend you purchase Grand Avenue Condo for its location, Covid-19 price and brand new! But, before you make a selection, I'll give you some insights so you make a right decision!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

7 hours ago, wadman said:

Hey Yabusaki, 

Could you tell me more about the course you are taking with the driving school? I'm toying with the idea of doing the same thing. 

1. How much does it cost

2. Do you get a motorcycle after the course, or will they at least arrange a test the relevant ministry to get one. 

Good Morning,

The training is 10 hours and I paid 6,000 bhat! Enclosed is a photo of the brochure! They'll assist you in getting a motorbike license for 3,500 bhat! Also, you can take the computerized questionnaire test in the office! I'll be using Tik Tok Service charge 4,000 bhat and they'll send you a link on questionnaire test.

Good luck

DSC_0070.JPG

• Like 2

Hang Loose, mongoose!

5 hours ago, bangna said:

Is the training centre authorised to conduct tests and issue license or do you still have to attend the LTO?

Good Morning,

The Pattaya Driving School is authorized to provide only computerized questionnaire test but the rest you must take at the Department of Land Transportation!

Hang Loose, mongoose!

4 hours ago, 1500B said:

Awesome plan mate.

At the end of 10 hours, you will feel like, "I've got this!". And you will cement some safe riding habits that will last a lifetime. The things you will see other people do on the streets will blow your mind!

Make it a goal to have fun!!

BTW, make sure you learn how to use the centre stand during your course (it is easy - push down, lift up). It provides more stability than the side stand where the ground is uneven and can save space, important for parking in Patts.

You may be the only one. Pete Brown on Youtube had a (maybe 2015 or 2016 PCX), then bought a 2019 Hybrid and was hoping for a 10% improvement in take off over the gas model but was unable to confirm.

You will lose some room under the seat in the Hybrid. The Hybrid system should work really well in Patts with so much stop-start traffic. You'll find you don't really go past 40 kph on most of your rides because of the speed limit and heavy traffic but 2020 Covid time is a the best chance you will ever have to learn to ride safely and competently.

Can recommend you buy/negotiate a decent helmet and wear decent gloves despite what you see on the roads. There is a small hook for your helmet under the seat on the left hand side closest the handlebars - it is very handy.

I can recommend this hook for the handlebars so you can hang a grocery bag. It fits perfectly.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000857263721.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.76a24c4doSxS8s

Good Morning,

Thank you very much for your insightful information and advice! I did watch Pete's video several times!

Could you recommend a helmet to use in Pattaya?

Hang Loose, mongoose!

9 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Good Morning,

I'm also Los Angeles Rams fan since 1967!

My first choice was Honda ADV 150 but the bike was too heavy to handle and I won't use the bike on off-roads!

After visiting the dealer, watching the videos and research, I selected Honda PCX Hybrid because the bike is lighter, not too high and has slightly more kicks than standard PCX!

I would recommend you purchase Grand Avenue Condo for its location, Covid-19 price and brand new! But, before you make a selection, I'll give you some insights so you make a right decision!

Yes, I too am a Rams fan since late 60's.  

I will be renting, but yes, I have been looking at Grand Avenue as well. 

I like the location as I normally stay at Areca Lodge so it is fairly close.

I was also considering Centric Sea but they are smaller and off the beaten path except for Soi 6 (however I have friend that lives there).

I was also considering Northshore (another friend lives here).  They are larger, but much older than most discussed here.  Close to Soi 6 

The last two are the reasons I began to consider a PCX.

10 minutes ago, LASportsNut said:

Yes, I too am a Rams fan since late 60's.  

I will be renting, but yes, I have been looking at Grand Avenue as well. 

I like the location as I normally stay at Areca Lodge so it is fairly close.

I was also considering Centric Sea but they are smaller and off the beaten path except for Soi 6 (however I have friend that lives there).

I was also considering Northshore (another friend lives here).  They are larger, but much older than most discussed here.  Close to Soi 6 

The last two are the reasons I began to consider a PCX.

Greetings,

I would recommend you rent or buy Grand Avenue Condo for its location, amenities and it's new! I've heard the rental and sales prices are very reasonable due to covid-19!

Good luck

• Like 1

Hang Loose, mongoose!

Wow! I didn't have any idea that they had a hybrid model. I couldn't find many reviews in English, but did find this one. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Yabusaki said:

Could you recommend a helmet to use in Pattaya?

The international standards I am familiar with are for Australia (AS 1698:1988 or AS/NZS 1698:2006), Europe (ECE 22.05) and the US DOT). All of them must meet a minimum standard of compliance. You will find a compliance sticker on the rear-bottom of the helmet or a label sewn into the lining.

Not all helmets fit well. Our heads are different shapes.
Best bet is to try on the helmet and walk around a bit with it on
Try on different brands and see what is comfortable.
Online purchases therefore not recommended.
If it feels a little too tight in the cheeks, that is ok as it will loosen up.
What you want to avoid is the helmet being too loose - they can come off your head in an accident.

Bimola, Real, Index and Sharp all available in Thailand sell ECE rated helmets.

You can also be able to get LS2 Helmets in Thailand - Mit Yon have them.

Open face or Full face - full face protect more, specifically the jaw and are heavier. Half face are lighter and airier but protect less.

It is important that any helmet you buy is generally comfortable.

Many helmets have drop sown sun visors these days - a comfort item.

Modular helmets afford the ability to lift the jaw section up and lock it down when needed. They are known for being heavy.

The best helmets offer the best protection and you will pay for lightness and quietness.
W

10 hours ago, LASportsNut said:

The 160 looks good doesn't it? - lighter and more horsepower - what's not to like?

@Garzanwould also like the rear disk brake too - while I understand his specific reasons for wanting a rear disk, most people with the PCX aren't crying for it. Especially when speeds around Patts are generally very slow.

Though the above is true, Central Pattaya would be one of the least HP friendly cities on the planet 555

• Like 2

I did the weeks training course 20 years ago in UK, best week of controlled bike riding ever, sadly I've neglected my bike skills as I bought bikes way to heavy for me, I was also working in Saudi & while you may be a safe driver they certainly weren't.

Most bike accidents I've seen around town generally involve a car, I purchased a second bike for me but haven't got round to doing my license yet...lazy fecker. :wink:

• Like 2

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

20 minutes ago, 1500B said:

The 160 looks good doesn't it? - lighter and more horsepower - what's not to like?

@Garzanwould also like the rear disk brake too - while I understand his specific reasons for wanting a rear disk, most people with the PCX aren't crying for it. Especially when speeds around Patts are generally very slow.

Though the above is true, Central Pattaya would be one of the least HP friendly cities on the planet 555

Yes, I like it.  It looks like it comes in several colors. I know in the past they seemed to stick to 1-2 colors.  

Here is a nice YouTube LINK.

Edited by LASportsNut

Greetings,

In Pattaya, I only could get 500 to 1,500 bhat discount on new Honda PCX Hybrid! So shop around!

• Like 1

Hang Loose, mongoose!

2 hours ago, 1500B said:

while I understand his specific reasons for wanting a rear disk

My reason for wanting a rear disk on any bike I buy in the future happened at around 25 kph, so definitely at "in town" speeds. :-) 

1 hour ago, Garzan said:

My reason for wanting a rear disk on any bike I buy in the future happened at around 25 kph

Not knowing the incident, but at 25kph you shouldn’t need a rear brake at all if you’ve got servicable front brakes.

"Disappointing girls one inch at a time"

After completing the training @Yabusaki I do recommend some time researching "Road Craft". 

This really relates to where you position yourself on the road and what you look out for.

There is always talk of putting yourself in either the Left or Right tyre track (of a car) as the middle is likely where oil would drop if a car or truck were leaking.

2 wheelers often like to get away from cars including where lights change - this is because it is safest to be in your own air bubble - no cars to the front or rear of you within collision distance.

Looking ahead, scan to the horizon - if you see brake lights activating, the traffic is slowing and the faster you react by slowing yourself, the more reaction time you will give yourself should the unexpected happen. You may also see pedestrians up ahead doing a death run. 555.

In Thailand, try and scan every intersection controlled by lights or not for vehicles that may enter the road you are on.

Riding down Second Rd towards Terminal 21 from KISS for example, I position myself on the far left side of the lane if possible so if a vehicle enters from a Soi without giving way, I am as far from them as I can be.

Another thing to look for is parked car wheel beginning to turn - this means they are preparing to enter traffic.

As a new rider, it is better to err on the cautious side until you build experience, confidence and competence - leave as much distance between you and other vehicles as you can without becoming a hazard yourself. Allow plenty of room for breaking and the time it takes to make decisions.

Contrary to riders opinions and surveys, about 65-70% of fatal accidents are single vehicle ie, the rider normally only has themselves to blame, not other vehicles.

There is a lot to take in but don't be scared of it and don't try to do it all at once. Like any skill, you will develop over time, not overnight. your course will put you way ahead of the game vs average in Patts :-)

And your new bike will be SO MUCH FUN!!!

1 hour ago, SteveX08 said:

Not knowing the incident, but at 25kph you shouldn’t need a rear brake at all if you’ve got servicable front brakes.

Road surface and rear brake maintenance. The maintenance issue was entirely 100% my fault. The road slime from pumping lake water out on the road for Songkran the day before should have been in my brain, but it wasn't until too late to do any good.

Edited by Garzan
  • Sad 1

The PCX has linked brakes Garzan so you should be ok on one.

I brake with the front level for 90% of the work and the rear for slow speed stability or the last percentage of braking in an oh shit moment.

Also from 2019 it had ABS also though it isn’t that needed unless braking hard in the wet...hopefully everyone slows down when riding in dodgy conditions?!

I didn’t think much of the hybrid version of the PCX especially living in a condo with underground parking and zero power availability.

Maybe once newer condos are built with charging bays or better charging infrastructure in Pattaya it will become viable.

Definitely feel that training is a good idea.

Also never wear the freebie helmet Mityon gives you, they are terrible.

Get a decent one from a motorbike shop. I went around most trying on loads before getting one from the Kawa shop on Sukhumvit.

@article22 According to the video, the new PCX Hybrid has neither ABS or combined brakes however a quick Google indicates ABS on the front.  I believe the battery is charged by regeneration only. I have no personal knowledge so am ready to be corrected.

• Like 3