IGNORED

2020 World Snooker Championship

PR1977

12 hours ago, English rose said:

A deserved win by a brilliant player and without signs of arrogance..and nice words from both players afterwards.

I'm looking forward to Kyren being number 1..he has age on his side.

I hope Wilson and McGill get more chances to get their hands on that trophy, they both showed how to win and lose during the tournament, with dignity and class. ‘Jester from Leicester’ please take note

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Somchai1 said:

I hope Wilson and McGill get more chances to get their hands on that trophy, they both showed how to win and lose during the tournament, with dignity and class. ‘Jester from Leicester’ please take note

Pretty sure they will be about for some time yet  .   

Despite what Ronnie says there is some real quality at the top of the game  .   Really tough to stay in the top 16 though , as everyone under constant pressure . 

When you think of the quality players who did not even qualify for Sheffield  ,  Marco Fu , Joe Perry , Ricky Walden , Ryan Day , Luca Brecal , Graeme Dott  etc. etc. shows the standard is as high as ever . 

One gripe from me is the size of pockets on the tables now ,and the way some obvious " misses "  still manage to drop because of the cut of the jaw .   

But still some fantastic drama , those Semi finals will be remembered for a long time  .

Mikeyboy

• Like 3

Ronnie a deserved a win 100% .... I agree with a poster saying that semi final had taken every energy out of Wilson ... Agreed with posters saying that Wilson will be a world champ one day , A good learning curve for him in this championship... My daughter so happy that snooker is finished , been watching it 8-10 hours daily , 160 hours ... lol . She is back to my TV room now .  Looking forward to a snooker challenge with Mikeyboy at third rd some day after the cornavirus pandemic is over  ... :Cross_Fingers:...Will be lo9ing for a revenge .. lol .  thanks to all the posters here for sharing our thoughts , we will be back again in 8 months ... 

Just a little heads up to keep this snooker thread going, starting tonight..World  Seniors Championship with a few great names in the line up and again on BBC.

20200819_064545.jpg

Edited by English rose
Change
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.

On 19/08/2020 at 00:40, English rose said:

Just a little heads up to keep this snooker thread going, starting tonight..World  Seniors Championship with a few great names in the line up and again on BBC.

20200819_064545.jpg

I believe Jimmy is a frequent visitor to Thailand , probably doing exhibition and promo work. Ive seen his face on posters promoting condo developments in Pattaya in the not too distant past. Thought he did well as a pundit for Eurosport during the World Finals With Colin Murray. I Did miss the “where’s the white going” Shouts from Virgo on the BBC mind......

• Haha 1

On 17/08/2020 at 15:22, mikeyboy said:

Pretty sure they will be about for some time yet  .   

Despite what Ronnie says there is some real quality at the top of the game  .   Really tough to stay in the top 16 though , as everyone under constant pressure . 

When you think of the quality players who did not even qualify for Sheffield  ,  Marco Fu , Joe Perry , Ricky Walden , Ryan Day , Luca Brecal , Graeme Dott  etc. etc. shows the standard is as high as ever . 

One gripe from me is the size of pockets on the tables now ,and the way some obvious " misses "  still manage to drop because of the cut of the jaw .   

But still some fantastic drama , those Semi finals will be remembered for a long time  .

Mikeyboy

Agree with this, the sport has probably never been more competitive . With the growth in amount of tournaments world-wide and increased Prize Money, it has become an All-Year-Round sport, where you have to be consistent to keep up in the rankings. And of course a genuine way of making a living full-time.

Of course that means you will see televised stages of tournaments of players you’ve never heard of, but that’s the same when you watch other sports like tennis now as opposed to the McEnroe/Borg era.

Yeh those pockets and bouncy cushions were a constant sub-narrative throughout the tournament !!

• Like 2

O'Sullivan  is one of the truly great snooker players of out time, and  rightly deserves his place in any  snooker Hall of Fame. But tact and diplomacy do not have a place in his snooker bag of  persuasive tricks. Asked after his great win the other night, why he was able to keep winning and stay at the top, while time marches inevitably on, O'Sullivan basically said that the younger players were terrible and lacked  the polished skills needed to succeed in professional snooker.  While all this might be true, I would have thought O'Sullivan would have been much more diplomatic when talking about the younger guys in his chosen profession!!!! 

Edited by roderick
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Somchai1 said:

I believe Jimmy is a frequent visitor to Thailand

Never seen Jimmy here but saw Docherty and Meo walking through Soi Diana beer bars one night.

14 minutes ago, roderick said:

O'Sullivan  is one of the truly great snooker players of out time, and  rightly deserves his place in any  snooker Hall of Fame. But tact and diplomacy do not have a place in his snooker bag of  persuasive tricks. Asked after his great win the other night, why he was able to keep winning and stay at the top, while time marches inevitably on, O'Sullivan basically said that the younger players were terrible and lacked  the polished skills needed to succeed in professional snooker.  While all this might be true, I would have thought O'Sullivan would have been much more diplomatic when talking about the younger guys in his chosen profession!!!! 

Why should he? He's always called a spade a spade. Must be annoying for him when management tells him to lose a few frames to keep the crowd/TV audience interested. He literally has no competition ATM.

Saw jimmy few times in Pattaya , in fact he cleared the table after I break the rack .. only one shot I had .. lol ( 8 ball pool ) at Soi Buakhao ... Nice guy , had time to chat with me .... 

Why should he? He's always called a spade a spade. Must be annoying for him when management tells him to lose a few frames to keep the crowd/TV audience interested. He literally has no competition ATM.
It's probably the reason, why I turn the volume down when he speaks in those after-match interviews. Just can't stand some of the "garbage" which comes out of his mouth. Although I do like his and Hendry's in-match commentary, insights only a great of the game can offer!

Daryle

19 hours ago, Somchai1 said:

I believe Jimmy is a frequent visitor to Thailand , probably doing exhibition and promo work. Ive seen his face on posters promoting condo developments in Pattaya in the not too distant past. Thought he did well as a pundit for Eurosport during the World Finals With Colin Murray. I Did miss the “where’s the white going” Shouts from Virgo on the BBC mind......

He was (not sure when he was here last) a very frequent visitor here, I do remember seeing his chubby face on the huge hoardings on the drive to pattaya from the airport advertising condo's..I think he used to come a lot with Ken Doherty and play in tournaments while they were in town, I do remember him playing in kilkennys in LK...1000 baht to play him and a signed cue if you beat him.

Nice very approachable bloke ready for a chat.

• Like 2

for good accommodation at sensible prices located on Soi Chaiyapoon www.englishrosepattaya.com

"Tis better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"  Abraham Lincoln.