IGNORED

Used your ATM card in Pattaya? Better check your account

smiler

On my 2 trips in Pattaya, BKK, Phuket and Udon Thani i have used my Visa card in ATM mostly but some in hotels and shops also but never had any problems. Maybe i have been lucky though.

/Mike

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• hedonist

• whitespider - RIP

• araimeanswot

Look for the copying sleeves in the ATM slot. They stick out quite a bit so if you actually LOOK you can see them.

If the slot looks at all suspicious report it and dont use it.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Look for the copying sleeves in the ATM slot. They stick out quite a bit so if you actually LOOK you can see them.

If the slot looks at all suspicious report it and dont use it.

I notice SCB have now installed a special sleeve where you enter your card so that it cannot be tampered with. There is a logo of a padlock on it that magnifies when you look at it from a different angle.

I opened a Nationwide account in the UK as they have no fees for withdrawing abroad like most other banks do. You always get the local exchange rate from the bank you withdarw from which is great.

I've used this for about 2 years now with no problems but I'm gonna think twice about where I use it next time after reading this thread.

Not for long, they will start charging in 3 or 4 months.

ive been usink my visa debit card now in pattaya at atms i phone bank and activate the card for use in asia, before i go and cancell the use there when im due home never had a problem yet touch wood

cambo

I have used ATM cards in North Ammerica, Asia and Africa and neve had a problem. But there is always the first time :D

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

In 2005 I had my atm card skimmed. Only ever used card in an atm and never handed it to anyone. What happens is a skimmer (copier) is attached to the atm to read and copy your card. Also a tiny digital camera is hidden so that they can see your pin as you enter it. Then they make a copy of the card and start withdrawing maximum daily amounts. Fortuneately for me, I picked it up pretty quick, cancelled the card and my credit union repaid all the money immediately. My only cost was for the emergency replacement card, which my travel insurance paid for anyhow.

Solution: I now check very carefully that the card reciever is legit and I cover the keypad with my hand as I enter my pin. I even pretend to press other numbers so no one can pick up the pattern of my pin, a little paranoid but once bitte twice shy.

• 2 weeks later...

In most of the world, ATM transactions are video taped. Do they do that in Thailand?

I haven't had any blatant thefts happen, like what happened to the first poster in this thread. But bad exchange rates being applied, or restaurants "padding" the amount put on the card (not the same as the check says) seem to happen regularly. Ya gotta stay on your toes in LOS....

"Hard work never killed anybody......but why take a chance??"

By the way, 150 baht fee is now going to charged for all foreign ATM transactions. This is on top of any other fees that are charged (currency conversion fee, your local bank fee, etc.). So, if you are going to use your ATM card, get the maximum amount allowed.