IGNORED

Used your ATM card in Pattaya? Better check your account

smiler

Never heard of an E-Voucher account you sure your not on about an E-Saving account which you can use to transfer the money from this account to your flex account via internet banking :)

yes e-saving account is what I meant, my apoligies, can open one through the internet banking, easy to do.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• hedonist

• whitespider - RIP

• araimeanswot

i could care less about the risk of HIV, rarely used a condom, to the clinic several times but stuff shit scares the hell out of me.... i am nothing without my fat bank account

Smiler,

Do you have any comeback with the bank for what you've lost?

I've also got a nationwide flex a/c and have used it all round the world without a problem, but i may have to change the way i operate it if they won't cover your losses, as their security doesn't seem to have picked up on what would appear to be an abnormal spending pattern.

IMO cards have to be the most dangerous way to travel. Especially debit cards, it can take months to get your money back!

So you get defrauded, then what? Your holiday is fucked! Cheques are the safest way to go guys.

Yes there are pros and cons but for sheer safety, cheques are the only way!

Wha's like us?

Smiler,

Do you have any comeback with the bank for what you've lost?

I've also got a nationwide flex a/c and have used it all round the world without a problem, but i may have to change the way i operate it if they won't cover your losses, as their security doesn't seem to have picked up on what would appear to be an abnormal spending pattern.

nationwide are investigating, they've already said it couldn't have been me - I think I will get the money back, but it might take some argument.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties Steve

Hope that this has not spoiled your trip too much!

Hopefully catch up with ya soon

Joe

A mere minor distraction from the business at hand (now, where has the business at hand wandered off to?)

nationwide are investigating, they've already said it couldn't have been me - I think I will get the money back, but it might take some argument.

A mere minor distraction from the business at hand (now, where has the business at hand wandered off to?)

The thing is, though, i seem to recall reading on some financial advice website, or possibly a TV program i watched stated that its not GUARANTEED that you will get your money back from a debit card (as opposed to a credit card) fraud/.

People who suffer it MAY get some or all of it back, but its safer, as has been said, to leave the cards at home when travelling to places like Thailand etc

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pleased to report a happy ending (no, not that kind), Nationwide have refunded all the money that was taken, took them some time to do this but no fuss over it. No explanation was forthcoming of how it happened. So my faith in using cards + ATM is pretty much restored.

I work in the debit card business and currently our customers in Ukraine and Russia are being hit hard by this scam so caution is advised if you use your card in those countries.

We have always had a few problems with Thailand.

This is what we are posting to our card holders:

• Use secure ATMs under video surveillance or inside a bank lobby

• Cover ATM key pad. Always put your hand over the keypad to prevent cameras or a person nearby recording your PIN

• Never let your card out of sight

• If anything about the ATM appears suspicious use a different ATM

• Change your pin code regularly.

Maybe, just once, someone will call me "sir" without adding, "you're making a scene."

I used the same ATM the first time and just recently while I was in Patts and didn't have a problem. It's hard to say what happened but I'll definitely keep an eye out.

I use that atm all the time, havent got any problems with it.

But i was always checking out that atm before i used it. To see if anything looked different from what it normaly does

• 3 weeks later...

I have never had a prob with my Debit card...except... the insane bank charges for overseas transactions.

Last trip cost me close to $200 AU in bank charges. That's a full days partying down the drain. Unacceptable!! :Crappy:

I have not found a bank that doesn't do it in Oz, so I will be doing the same as SoCo and go with cash and travellers cheques next time.

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

First time i used plastic in LOS was my last trip, no problems apart from exchange rate given via these transactions....got 49.51 on my CC bill and exchange rate was 51!!??

I bring my ATM card, but only for an emergency. I bring enough cash and travelers checks to cover my costs, and use a credit card for the hotel and some restaurants.

My card got eaten by the ATM at the TMB bank in royal garden....I had to ring oz straight away and cancel. Lucky i had enough cash to get by or I'd been screwed.... That ATM is an old piece of crap

Its getting to be a pain in the arse to use cards there now.

Before my last trip last month, I called both my C/C company and my bank to inform them i was travelling to Thailand, due to the fact that they BOTH froze my accounts after a while on previous trip in Nov 08, and, if i hadnt have had backup i would have been fucked. All because i didnt know i needed to call the fuckers !!!!

Anyway, the C/C company wanted to know exactly when and where i was going and what i was going to use the card for (ATM or goods)

The BANK, on the other hand went one stage further. They imposed a limit of £100 withdrawal a day, and ONLY use it for ATMs.

Needless to say, on a few occassions, it spat the card back out, telling me i wasnt authorised. I found out it was because the ammount i was trying to pull out exceeded their imposed limit...............by a few baht !!!!!! (IE, try for 5000 TBH when the rate was 49 point something and out popped the card with a message saying transaction not authorised)

Fucking crazy situation, and one that had me thinking "why cant they just go back to the old system of, when you wanted to draw funds on a card you had the OPTION of going to the booth with your passport and card and saying how much you wanted (to your daily limit) and it was processed by a human behind the glass"

If Chip & Pin is progress, then Heaven help us !!!!!!!

Hedonist

Edited by hedonist

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

Hi , I think it is best and safer to use an credit card. If an credit card is stolen then they only pay the money out once a month so there is time to catch it. Also, and credit card is easier to dispute and charge not yours. Bank debit cards are not as easy, because the money get taken out right away.

I also hear traveler checks can be replaced and are good to use. Also , that you get a better rate on traveler checks. The larger the amount the travelers check is the better the exhange rate! Cheers!

Friend of mine also thought travellers cheques were safe. His were stolen and cashed within 15-20 minutes of the theft. The result was American Express refused to replace his cheques value £1200 and nearly 1 year on are still chasing them for any form of refund.

Friend of mine also thought travellers cheques were safe. His were stolen and cashed within 15-20 minutes of the theft. The result was American Express refused to replace his cheques value £1200 and nearly 1 year on are still chasing them for any form of refund.

Yes, cash will ALWAYS be king, i'm afraid

TCs are all well and good, but i defy anyone to keep a note of which ones they have used and which they have cashed at any given time.

And its ok saying they get replaced should they get lost/stolen, but the above post says its sure not GUARANTEED in a timely manner so that it "saves" your holiday. I cant imagine that someone will come running from his nice air conditioned office across continents, with new TCs in hand and seek you out, languishing by the pool, drink in hand waiting (like the old Amex (?)commercial of a few years ago portrayed)

Take a few as backup, certainly, but you will ALWAYS recognise your currency notes/bills as something you worked for, and not some "exotic" looking pieces of paper in a wallet. Therefore you will take better care of them as you always have

Hedonist

I'd just like to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. I'm planning a trip right now and planned on using plastic a lot. I think I'm gonna bring a chunk of large bills and some Travelers Cheques as insurance.

In the past I used just any ATM wherever I was. That doesnt seem like a wise way to go.

Never had a problem with plastic , I aways bring two cards with me and a bit of cash. Never use traveller's cheques now, just use ATM's to withdraw money. Too easy

If your going to get scammed then your going to get scammed. Just use a bit of common sense and you will be alright

My mate got his credit card details scammed here in Melbourne so why worry about getting scammed in Pattaya.

I say use a credit card because its insured in case you do lose money.

Never had a problem with plastic , I aways bring two cards with me and a bit of cash. Never use traveller's cheques now, just use ATM's to withdraw money. Too easy

If your going to get scammed then your going to get scammed. Just use a bit of common sense and you will be alright

My mate got his credit card details scammed here in Melbourne so why worry about getting scammed in Pattaya.

I say use a credit card because its insured in case you do lose money.

Its not so much the scamming, but the banks stopping cards to PREVENT the likelyhood of any skimming/cloning that trips people up.

When i called my bank to inform them i was travelling to Thailand they told me straight out that my card was in the range of those being cloned and i would have to get it cancelled on my return and a new one issued, with all the problems that would entail, and they limited me to only a certain limit of cash withdrawels, and NO internet shopping while i was there.

I ended up changing my PIN, but all the same people should realise that its an option to the home bank to just stop any transaction stone dead, and leave the customer penniless and in need of a phonecall (an EXPENSIVE one too !!!) to their home country to try and get it unblocked

Hedonist

I opened a Nationwide account in the UK as they have no fees for withdrawing abroad like most other banks do. You always get the local exchange rate from the bank you withdarw from which is great.

I've used this for about 2 years now with no problems but I'm gonna think twice about where I use it next time after reading this thread.

Early last year I opened a Nationwide flex account. Since opening the account I have visited Pattaya twice and both times I used my Nationwide card to get money from the ATM's and I never had a problem. And I mainly used the Siam Commercial Bank ATM at the Royal Garden Plaza. The 2nd road side of the plaza.

So I will be happy to use my card the next time I'm in Patts

I also try to only use the Siam Bank ATM's and have never had any problems either and my account is a USA B of A

Next trip May 2012

You know the same thing happened to me last year in Bangkok.

I used my debit card once at an ATM inside of MBK (near the cell phones), then all these transactions started happening over the internet, by the time I was able to notify my bank about $800 USD had been spent that I didn't authorize, I was in Thailand so they couldn't just mail me another card so luckily I had other cards I was able to use to get by with. My bank eventually refunded the money but weeks later after my trip was already over and I was back home, this was a huge damper on my trip!

No I only carry cash, I bring it all in big bills and exchange portions at a time, lucky for me I have a great friend that lives there that let's me stash stuff in his safe at his home so if I get to f'd up with a Thaigirl I don't have to fear her wipping me out cause it's locked up in the safe :GoldenSmile1:

Jim

I guess I should use the card only at the bank atm. Restaurants and other places I should use cash only. Thanks for the advise.

Nupe