IGNORED

Used your ATM card in Pattaya? Better check your account

smiler

Just found I couldn't get any money from the ATM, on checking my UK Nationwide account someone took out £1000 in Bangkok in a series of card transactions. I still have the card, so it looks like it's been cloned - I've only used one ATM here, the TMB bank oustide View Talay 2 in Jomtien. Just a head's up to let you know, you might want to check your accounts.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smiler

• hedonist

• whitespider - RIP

• araimeanswot

used my ATM for 6 month"s now at numerous places and branches , and never problem.... :GoldenSmile1: . let"s hope it stays further so, i guess is just a case off bad luck at a bad place used :GoldenSmile1:

check my account even by internet , no problems

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Just found I couldn't get any money from the ATM, on checking my UK Nationwide account someone took out £1000 in Bangkok in a series of card transactions. I still have the card, so it looks like it's been cloned - I've only used one ATM here, the TMB bank oustide View Talay 2 in Jomtien. Just a head's up to let you know, you might want to check your accounts.

Damn.. :HappyBDay1:

Your card is a regular creditcard right? Not a debitcard? Have you got any idea where it was your card got cloned (hotel, store, waiter at a restaurant, ..)?

Is it likely the card holder (you or anyone else) is insured or is the money gone now..?!

was the atm in the bank or was it outside?

The card is a VISA debit card, used at the ATM outside the bank. Only ever used at the ATM.

To put it in perspective, I've travelled a lot over the last 20 years, used ATM cards frequently in lots of places and never had a problem - until now.

Hi , I think it is best and safer to use an credit card. If an credit card is stolen then they only pay the money out once a month so there is time to catch it. Also, and credit card is easier to dispute and charge not yours. Bank debit cards are not as easy, because the money get taken out right away.

I also hear traveler checks can be replaced and are good to use. Also , that you get a better rate on traveler checks. The larger the amount the travelers check is the better the exhange rate! Cheers!

Early last year I opened a Nationwide flex account. Since opening the account I have visited Pattaya twice and both times I used my Nationwide card to get money from the ATM's and I never had a problem. And I mainly used the Siam Commercial Bank ATM at the Royal Garden Plaza. The 2nd road side of the plaza.

So I will be happy to use my card the next time I'm in Patts

Early last year I opened a Nationwide flex account. Since opening the account I have visited Pattaya twice and both times I used my Nationwide card to get money from the ATM's and I never had a problem. And I mainly used the Siam Commercial Bank ATM at the Royal Garden Plaza. The 2nd road side of the plaza.

So I will be happy to use my card the next time I'm in Patts

Last time I used my Nationwide card in a SCB ATM they charged me B20. The cheeky cunts didn't actually actually mention this until after the transaction was completed. Have SCB stopped charging?

Kind of scary, would think that the ATM outside View Talay 2 would be safe.

The same ATM was the only ATM I used while in Pattaya for a month in October, but fortunately nothing happened to me, like it happened to you. Think I'll be using an ATM outside a large bank in the future, but they may be as large a risk as the smaller ones.

Never leave your card out of sight even when paying for a Loom or Resturant bill

Did you report the ATM

I went with all cash and travelers cheques last time. I did use my card(s) in Chiang Mai at an ATM in order to get all the money I would need for the wildest weekend of my life back down in Pattaya, so perhaps I dodged a bullet. It was my last party weekend in Thailand and I was using emergancy funds, because, well, drinking and fucking is an emergency.....right?

Will probably do something similar next time, but again will avoid using my cards at all costs....

Eat. Down. South.

The card is a VISA debit card, used at the ATM outside the bank. Only ever used at the ATM.

To put it in perspective, I've travelled a lot over the last 20 years, used ATM cards frequently in lots of places and never had a problem - until now.

Sorry to hear about that smiler, i hope it hasn't fooked up your trip too mutt.

You say that you've only ever used it at an ATM machine? Being a VISA debit card, i'm guessing it also allows you to sign for goods using the VISA merchant facilities in a store?

If not, how could your card be cloned through an ATM machine? I'm thinking that you must have handed your card to someone in a shop/restaurant and they took it away to clone through a swipe machine while they were also swiping it for you to sign for.

Hope that makes sense! I'm thinking that it would be impossible to have a card cloned through using only an ATM machine.

You say that you've only ever used it at an ATM machine? Being a VISA debit card, i'm guessing it also allows you to sign for goods using the VISA merchant facilities in a store?

If not, how could your card be cloned through an ATM machine? I'm thinking that you must have handed your card to someone in a shop/restaurant and they took it away to clone through a swipe machine while they were also swiping it for you to sign for.

Hope that makes sense! I'm thinking that it would be impossible to have a card cloned through using only an ATM machine.

I dunno but I think others on here have had their cards cloned at an ATM.. maybe a card reader fitted inside or something.

I dunno but I think others on here have had their cards cloned at an ATM.. maybe a card reader fitted inside or something.

If the OP is 100% sure the card was cloned through an ATM-machine that's pretty annoying.If you hand over your card at a restaurant/shop and someone makes a copy, like noodles was saying, for me that's less of a worry cause you could always get your money from the ATM and pay cash.So no problem.

I don't even have a creditcard at the moment, I use a debitcard (well, I think that's what they are called abroad, not 100% sure though), it has the MAESTRO-logo on it and you need to type a 4 digit number.With the card only it would be impossible to get money from an ATM.

In Holland we got some problems with skimming, card readers in the ATM which clone your card.And a hidden camera watches which number you type in (PIN-code).

post-14907-1233749297_thumbjpg

post-14907-1233749313_thumbjpg

post-14907-1233749321_thumbjpg

post-14907-1233749334_thumbjpg

Edited by e-disco

Also a massive problem in the UK.

America doesnt seem to have the same prob tho ,they use card for everything,wonder why

thanks for the heads up pal

i get my kicks below the waistline sunshine

i live in se asia. i use atm's exclusively. i always go into a banks branchoffice and use the atm inside, and havent had any problems in the last few years. and i travel extensively around.

i wont use atm's outside though, only inside banks and airports where its really hard to tamper with them.

i used that atm outside VT2 every time i took out money on my trip in september never any problem.maybe have to look for another one next time

Card swiper in an ATM slot

Not an uncommon practice in Thailand. Look at the card slot closely and if there is one there you can generally see them as they protrude a little. Many ATMs carry warnings about them and tell you how to spot them.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

The same happened to me, have a flexi card with Nationwide used the atm on my last day at the front of mikes shopping mall beach rd, when i got home the account had been cleared, since then I put my travel money into e-vouchers then use the internet banking to transfer money to the flexi account, I then withdraw the amount transfered, this way no one can take any money from my account, unless they manage to take it before I get from the internet shop to the atm. anyone can open the e-voucher account if they have a flexi account you can do it through the internet banking. Hope this helps. :GoldenSmile1:

The same happened to me, have a flexi card with Nationwide used the atm on my last day at the front of mikes shopping mall beach rd, when i got home the account had been cleared, since then I put my travel money into e-vouchers then use the internet banking to transfer money to the flexi account, I then withdraw the amount transfered, this way no one can take any money from my account, unless they manage to take it before I get from the internet shop to the atm. anyone can open the e-voucher account if they have a flexi account you can do it through the internet banking. Hope this helps. :Bravo1:

Never heard of an E-Voucher account you sure your not on about an E-Saving account which you can use to transfer the money from this account to your flex account via internet banking :GoldenSmile1:

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Building A House In The Village

CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW FOR FULL DETAILS & COSTS

Getting Married In The Village & Bringing Her To The UK

Sorry to hear of your lose Slider. That's a whole months money for some of the less fortunate mongers...like me!

Skimmers and micro cameras can be spotted if your vigilant.

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

My mate has got done over the last few days.

He is a P/A member "Sharkattack".

He recons that a BG got hold of his spare ATM card whilst he was asleep.

Got him for about $800 ozzie.

He can't figure out how she got the pin # though as it is not written down anywhere

So he has to transfer all his loot into another account and back as he needs.

Bloody hassle, but he can't do much till he gets back to Oz to change his pin!

Just don't trust the sluts!!!! :Bravo1:

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering. "Hari Om Tat Sat"

I have never had an issue with ATMs using either my ATM (Debit) or credit cards. I always call my bank before I leave and tell them where I am going to be on my trip and they flag my accounts to call me if I exceed "normal" transactions. They will lock out my card if it is an abnormal transaction and call me on my cell phone to verify the transactions. The banks I use here in the US are very very careful with fraud and card cloning.

Last time I used my Nationwide card in a SCB ATM they charged me B20. The cheeky cunts didn't actually actually mention this until after the transaction was completed. Have SCB stopped charging?

I don't know - this charge was what made me switch to TMB. Saved lots of 20Bs, lost 50000B instead!

Never leave your card out of sight even when paying for a Loom or Resturant bill

Did you report the ATM

As e-disco and others have pointed out, cloning via a tampered with ATM is possible. I've only used the card at ATMs, never write down or disclose the PIN, so most likely it was cloned. Either that, or it's an inside job.

My mate has got done over the last few days.

He is a P/A member "Sharkattack".

He recons that a BG got hold of his spare ATM card whilst he was asleep.

Got him for about $800 ozzie.

He can't figure out how she got the pin # though as it is not written down anywhere

So he has to transfer all his loot into another account and back as he needs.

Bloody hassle, but he can't do much till he gets back to Oz to change his pin!

Just don't trust the sluts!!!! :GoldenSmile1:

Well my experience suggest that maybe she wasn't to blame :GoldenSmile1:

Guys, thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm surprisingly calm about it, I'm hopeful of getting the money back eventually.