IGNORED

Basic thai words, pronounciation and meaning

Psudonym

Someone help me out with the transliteration of the following.

Sounds to me like "mon kheo" and as I understand is used as a term of endearment. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ChuckFinley said:

อาบน้ำ: อาบ-น้ำ: àap-ńaam - have a bath/shower

เหม็น: měn - smelly

ไป: bpai - go 

เร็วๆ: เร็ว เร็ว: reo reo - go fast, hurry up 

ช้าๆ: ช้า ช้า: cháa-cháa - slowly, go slow

หยุดพูด: หยุด-พูด: yùt-pûut - shut up.

Literally, stop speaking. 

หุบปาก: หุบ-ปาก: hùp-bpàak - Shut Up!

More rude than the above entry. 

บ้า: bâa - crazy

ไม่เอาครับ: ไม่-เอา-ครับ: mâi-ao-kráp - No thanks

สมน้ำหน้า: สม-น้ำห-น้า: sǒm-nám-nâa -

serves you right.

ไป: bpai - go Can be abbreviated to ba with a very short A.

เร็วๆ: เร็ว เร็ว: reo reo - go fast, hurry up  I have yet to hear a Thai pronounce it this way. It's the problem with learning from books/language schools. Mot Thais pronounce it "Leo Leo."

ช้าๆ: ช้า ช้า: cháa-cháa - slowly, go slow

หยุดพูด: หยุด-พูด: yùt-pûut - shut up. More often "ya put" don't speak. More often still in bars "Sow Wow" - Lao issan.

Literally, stop speaking. 

หุบปาก: หุบ-ปาก: hùp-bpàak - Shut Up!

More rude than the above entry. 

บ้า: bâa - crazy Usually said as "pee ba".

On ‎06‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 00:30, talung66 said:

You know wrong 

Thai is hard words sound the same to us can mean different things with the tone. ped -prig is a example

That i can figure out as  difference as it isn't much out of context for both words but not others i cant and dont have a clue..

Go into your local market and ask for prig and they will look at you like you've landed from Mars! Normally pronounced "pik". You are correct with "ped" but when Thais say it, it does sound more like "pet".

11 minutes ago, forcebwithu said:

Someone help me out with the transliteration of the following.

Sounds to me like "mon kheo" and as I understand is used as a term of endearment. 

Man kheau, (the transliteration is probably not exact). Described to me years ago as they like you do much they want to eat you. Girls who say this sometimes will playfully pinch you mimicking a biting action.

6 minutes ago, tallguy said:

Man kheau, (the transliteration is probably not exact). Described to me years ago as they like you do much they want to eat you. Girls who say this sometimes will playfully pinch you mimicking a biting action.

Man kheau is the most common, but I've had can kheau and pan kheau said to me. Always followed by physical pain! I've always found that if a girl does this, they genuinely like you, their not bullshitting.

Man kheaw and a solid punch in the ribs always gets them a s/t from me.

One problem with Thai is that there are many different dialects, so it's not that one particular way is right or wrong, it's just which version is more commonly spoken in a particular area. 

Also the fact that there is no Specific transliterations, it's very much a matter of personal interpretation.

To anyone who's even slightly serious about learning Thai, I strongly recommend Talking Thai - English dictionary and phrasebook app by Paiboon publishing.

Not cheap at around $35 Aud but does so much it's easily worth it

34 minutes ago, batman123 said:

เร็วๆ: เร็ว เร็ว: reo reo - go fast, hurry up  I have yet to hear a Thai pronounce it this way. It's the problem with learning from books/language schools. Mot Thais pronounce it "Leo Leo."

I can remember a baht bus driver encouraging his last fare to hop on the bus quickly she was rushing across the road and he was pointing to the bus and saying what sounded like to me "reng, reng, reng"  Maybe my ears did not pick it up well?

27 minutes ago, batman123 said:

Go into your local market and ask for prig and they will look at you like you've landed from Mars! Normally pronounced "pik". You are correct with "ped" but when Thais say it, it does sound more like "pet".

I was always told chilli is" pic" and hot for food was "pet"  I always write how it sounds to my ear. but my ear is not always correct 5555.

1 minute ago, ChuckFinley said:

One problem with Thai is that there are many different dialects, so it's not that one particular way is right or wrong, it's just which version is more commonly spoken in a particular area. 

Also the fact that there is no Specific transliterations, it's very much a matter of personal interpretation.

To anyone who's even slightly serious about learning Thai, I strongly recommend Talking Thai - English dictionary and phrasebook app by Paiboon publishing.

Not cheap at around $35 Aud but does so much it's easily worth it

Unfortunately you won't get the correct pronunciation from a book or even an audio tape. It's not so much about different dialects, although it's true that there are many. It's more about social class.

Lower class Thais, known as baan noak, don't pronounce their words the same as hi-so Thais.The only place that you will find Thai pronounced correctly is on Thai TV. Watching Thai soaps can be a good way of picking up the correct pronunciation. However, as someone who will only associate with baan noak, I have yet to hear a Thai who speaks like they do on TV.

A basic guideline is:

Thais never pronounce the letter "R", it's either changed to "l" or remains silent.

If the last letter of a word is "L" it gets changed to "N".

Central Shopping Mall becomes Sentan Shopping.

Mai bpen rai, becomes Mai bin lai. or bow ben iang in Lao/Issan.

6 minutes ago, Harry Brown said:

I can remember a baht bus driver encouraging his last fare to hop on the bus quickly she was rushing across the road and he was pointing to the bus and saying what sounded like to me "reng, reng, reng"  Maybe my ears did not pick it up well?

I was always told chilli is" pic" and hot for food was "pet"  I always write how it sounds to my ear. but my ear is not always correct 5555.

Trust your ears mate. They'll serve you better than a book.

Unless it was a very posh baht bus driver, he probably shouted "Leng Leng" which is the same as "Leow leow" and "wai wai."

8 minutes ago, batman123 said:

Trust your ears mate. They'll serve you better than a book.

Unless it was a very posh baht bus driver, he probably shouted "Leng Leng" which is the same as "Leow leow" and "wai wai."

You could well be correct on the "leng, leng, leng"

Add a couple here

Teerak- babe
Suay-beautiful
Mak mak-very much
Narak -beautiful
Pum pui-fat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
UAN Fat so much more than pumpui [emoji16]

Odesláno z mého EML-L29 pomocí Tapatalk

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

UAN Fat so much more than pumpui [emoji16]

Chok dee - cheers
Mai pen rai-no problem
Duaj-together
Pitfaj-turn off light
Honnaam-wc toilet [emoji372]
Leo leo-quickly
CA ca-slowly
Dam-black
Kotjaj khrab-understand
Namken-ice
Keeow-glass
Nuuai-tired
Nok-bird
Ped-duck
Tang-money
Talaad-market
Huaroo-smile noisy
Dzai dee-good heart [emoji813]

THAJEC Thajský muž TRIP 37 - 30.November 2018 - 28.1.2019

38 minutes ago, THAJEC said:

Chok dee - cheers  Literal translation - good luck
Mai pen rai-no problem
Duaj-together Duay
Pitfaj-turn off light    Bit fai
Honnaam-wc toilet emoji372.png Hong nam
Leo leo-quickly
CA ca-slowly    Sa Sa - Issan. Cha cha - Thai (often replace ch with s for Issan)
Dam-black
Kotjaj khrab-understand
Namken-ice   Nam keng  (literally, hard water)
Keeow-glass  Gaew.
Nuuai-tired
Nok-bird
Ped-duck  Bet
Tang-money
Talaad-market Talat
Huaroo-smile noisy Hua reea laugh. Yim smile.
Dzai dee-good heart emoji813.png Jai dee

2 hours ago, batman123 said:

Ok you even quote yourself below and now passing on how to pronounce a word 

my dog is a pet it doesn't sound like that.

Both you and i are trying to pass on what we know by just spelling without adding how its pronounced.

either way the OP had it totally wrong with the meaning of the words..

2 hours ago, batman123 said:

Unfortunately you won't get the correct pronunciation from a book or even an audio tape

as  you see we're both not correct out of a book.

image.png.6d0c951fbdb854d0ba7a251d7292e795.png

image.png.5eb4e445fab762b8c009b0105b61ec05.png

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

3 hours ago, talung66 said:

Ok you even quote yourself below and now passing on how to pronounce a word 

my dog is a pet it doesn't sound like that.

Both you and i are trying to pass on what we know by just spelling without adding how its pronounced.

either way the OP had it totally wrong with the meaning of the words..

as  you see we're both not correct out of a book.

image.png.6d0c951fbdb854d0ba7a251d7292e795.png

image.png.5eb4e445fab762b8c009b0105b61ec05.png

No I'm just trying to pass on how it's pronounced, not spelt.. Both of the quotes that you have shown are correct.

Phet - spicy, as near as we are likely to pronounce it, pet, same as your dog.

Phrik - chilli. As I said in a previous post, ordinary Thais never pronounce the "R", it's either changed to "L" or left silent. In this case it's silent, giving pik.

8 hours ago, ChuckFinley said:

พุงพลุ้ย:พุง-พลุ้ย: pung-plúi - fat belly

It’s not this one, pûm pûi should be ปุ้มปุ้ย, it’s a somewhat nice way to say someone is overweight, chubby

อ้วน ûan - fat, not as nice as pûm pûi

ช่างน้ำ cháang náam - obese, lit. a hippo. This one is really insulting.

ขออภัยในความไม่สะดวก กูเกิลทรานสเลทไม่สามารถแปลข้อมูลนี้ได้ 

13 minutes ago, slick67 said:

It’s not this one, pûm pûi should be ปุ้มปุ้ย, it’s a somewhat nice way to say someone is overweight, chubby

My g/f has always called her son uan. I pulled her up about it and told her it wasn't very nice. She told me that she'd called him uan since he was a baby and he wouldn't have her call him anything else. As he's 20 and a really big lad, I call him by his real name.

Thais don't seem over sensitive about "insulting" names particularly from close family. My g/f's family call her Gom which means midget.

58 minutes ago, batman123 said:

No I'm just trying to pass on how it's pronounced, not spelt.. Both of the quotes that you have shown are correct.

Phet - spicy, as near as we are likely to pronounce it, pet, same as your dog.

Phrik - chilli. As I said in a previous post, ordinary Thais never pronounce the "R", it's either changed to "L" or left silent. In this case it's silent, giving pik.

Watch this if  you have anything else to say i no thai expert but been coming for 20 year i dont here pet.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

I always get a laugh when Instead of saying... thank you.. Kop Kun Krap … Say.... Kop Kun LIE LIE...… Issan Dialect (Lao)..

1 hour ago, talung66 said:

Watch this if  you have anything else to say i no thai expert but been coming for 20 year i dont here pet.

Maybe my ears are kaput but I hear "pet and prik"

but I get away with saying pic.

1 hour ago, slick67 said:

1 hour ago, batman123 said:

My g/f has always called her son uan. I pulled her up about it and told her it wasn't very nice. She told me that she'd called him uan since he was a baby and he wouldn't have her call him anything else. As he's 20 and a really big lad, I call him by his real name.

Thais don't seem over sensitive about "insulting" names particularly from close family. My g/f's family call her Gom which means midget.

A girl I know, when talking about her body shape describes it as "uan moo" 

1 hour ago, talung66 said:

I can remember being in Retox ordering my breakfast and the waitress asked me if I wanted a drink and I replied by saying

"Char Lon"  -hot tea

She went mental at me for saying it that way  (lol lol lol)

Then she says in a condescending manner and loudly " Char rrrrrrrroooonnnn"

So I quietly said yes please a" char rrrron"  

Then the cow says to her subordinate 1 char Lon   555555

There are some really atrocious attempts to phonetically represent Thai words in this thread. Even the most basic stuff like "Thank you" is getting mangled.

While some of the Google Translate pronunciations are not all that great, still it would be better to copy and paste the Thai that the Thai literate folks are posting in this thread into it or some other translation site and pay careful attention to the tone. 

Archived