IGNORED

Basic thai words, pronounciation and meaning

Psudonym

3 hours ago, batman123 said:

My g/f has always called her son uan. I pulled her up about it and told her it wasn't very nice. She told me that she'd called him uan since he was a baby and he wouldn't have her call him anything else. As he's 20 and a really big lad, I call him by his real name.

Thais don't seem over sensitive about "insulting" names particularly from close family. My g/f's family call her Gom which means midget.

The previous mooban I lived in, there was a 13 or 14 year old boy named Uan lived in the house across from us. Yeah, he was fat. He was not uncomfortable with the name. I suspect he was also given the name early on.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, batman123 said:

Sabai sabai is to chill out. Lao/ Issan for "I love you" is Coy hak jow. I always add illi deu on the end (very much) or repeat with lai lai deu at the end.

You are obviously much more experienced with pasathai than I. I picked up sabas sabal (that's what it sounds like to me) from the GF, who is from the Khon Kean area. She told me it me it means "I love you". My old guy tin ears may be part of the problem here.

mai mee satang — please, i am not interested in sex.

All TGs respect me when i say them that. The don’t insist :Laugh1:

(it’s a joke, mai mee satang — i have no money)

:Dance1:

7 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Maybe my ears are kaput but I hear "pet and prik"

but I get away with saying pic.

image.thumb.png.570f91e0c25fab996e57b77e91e18b05.png

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

5 hours ago, ChiFlyer said:

Wrong quote

ต่างภูมิลำเนา แต่ว่าเฮาก็เป็นคนไทย

4 minutes ago, jayjo said:

Can you write the "Coy" in thai please, im curious and never heard it before. My guess in isaan if i ever wanted to say this would be อ้ายฮักเจ้า, but please teach me.

Did you quote the correct quote/person?

17 hours ago, batman123 said:

Sabai sabai is to chill out. Lao/ Issan for "I love you" is Coy hak jow. I always add illi deu on the end (very much) or repeat with lai lai deu at the end.

A previous poster had mentioned hoy as mussels. Hoy is shellfish. Hoy men poo is mussels.

Don't get hung up on the tonal aspect. I learned Thai by listening and repeating. Tones come naturally. Most Thais can understand me. When I do make a mistake, Thais just laugh and correct me. All good fun.

A lot of Thais don't speak very good Thai themselves. My girlfriend is from Nong Khai on the Lao border. I often correct her. The other day she kept using the word "sang". I eventually figured out that she was saying "chang" elephant.

Can you write the "Coy" in thai please, im curious and never heard it before. My guess in isaan if i ever wanted to say this would be อ้ายฮักเจ้า, but please teach me. I

59 minutes ago, jayjo said:

Can you write the "Coy" in thai please, im curious and never heard it before. My guess in isaan if i ever wanted to say this would be อ้ายฮักเจ้า, but please teach me. I

Not who you're  asking but..The only book I have on issan thai has it written as ข่อย.  This book was written by a farang right enough, but he seems to know his stuff.

Screenshot_20190513-001759_Amazon Kindle.jpg

6 minutes ago, MaiMeSatang said:

Not who you're  asking but..The only book I have on issan thai has it written as ข่อย.  This book was written by a farang right enough, but he seems to know his stuff.

Screenshot_20190513-001759_Amazon Kindle.jpg

What book is this?

1 minute ago, jayjo said:

What book is this?

Speak isaan thai vol 1.  Author: Richard Charles.  On Amazon for kindle etc. 

20 minutes ago, MaiMeSatang said:

Speak isaan thai vol 1.  Author: Richard Charles.  On Amazon for kindle etc. 

Thanks.

I found a site with many lao words and their thai counterparts, but you have to read thai for this ofc.

https://www.louangprabang.net/content.asp?id=21

18 minutes ago, jayjo said:

Thanks.

I found a site with many lao words and their thai counterparts, but you have to read thai for this ofc.

https://www.louangprabang.net/content.asp?id=21

Yeah, there are fairly limited resources for the farang seeking to learn isaan I think.  I've only been studying thai (sporadically and prioritizing reading over anything) for about 2 years and isaan I only know very little. 

I understand it is mostly a spoken language rather than written so maybe I'm at a bit of a disadvantage lol plus I only do 2 pr 3 short trips a year so I don't know why I bother.  It's fun though.  Girls seem to be amused by farang 'wao lao' anyway.  

Sorry for the thread fuck..

6 minutes ago, MaiMeSatang said:

Yeah, there are fairly limited resources for the farang seeking to learn isaan I think.  I've only been studying thai (sporadically and prioritizing reading over anything) for about 2 years and isaan I only know very little. 

I understand it is mostly a spoken language rather than written so maybe I'm at a bit of a disadvantage lol plus I only do 2 pr 3 short trips a year so I don't know why I bother.  It's fun though.  Girls seem to be amused by farang 'wao lao' anyway.  

Sorry for the thread fuck..

No thread fuck there, quite on topic, thanks.

image.png

7 hours ago, jayjo said:

Coy Is the same as pom in Thai. I. The difference being that it isn't gender specific, it's used equally by males and females. Jow is the same as khun, you. Again not gender specific.

Pom chorp khun= coy mak jow.= I like you. Can replace mak with hak (love)= rak.

I'm by no means an expert but the general grammar rules for Thai and Issan appear generally to be the same.

Speak Like a Thai, Vol. 5: Northeastern Dialect

by Benjawan Poomsan Becker

is another book for learning Issan.  Not really a complete book for learning but a good start.  It has phrases in Thai, Issan and English.  It you already can speak Thai it will be easy to pick up.

Archived