Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Denied at port of entry (possible?)

AngryBear

American here. 

So I was in Thailand in October//November of 2018 and did 30 day visa extension. 

Came back back in February 2019 and also did 30 day visa extension. 

Left for for a week to another country and coming back into Thailand, looking at my passport have a bunch of Thailand entry and re entry stamps and I’m wondering if there’s any chance I can be denied entry. Heard that has happened before to other people who they thought were working here. Which I’m not but no denying I spent lots of time this last year in Thailand. Anything to worry about here?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible there may be a problem? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Other than that, not sure what I can say really? Unclear from your post if you’ve had a visa at any point or if you’ve entered on the Visa Exempt for 30 days each time?

More likely to have problems with the latter but not heard of lots of reports of this recently.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Been happening to a fair few people recently, mainly flying into DMK but also a few at Swampy. If the above is all you have been here I doubt you'd get flagged ... yet.

Fly biz, dress smart, add Rimova alu carry-on and Mont Blanc passport holder and you wont have any worries.

14 minutes ago, davidge said:

Is it possible there may be a problem? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Other than that, not sure what I can say really? Unclear from your post if you’ve had a visa at any point or if you’ve entered on the Visa Exempt for 30 days each time?

More likely to have problems with the latter but not heard of lots of reports of this recently.

No visa just came to Thailand and got extension for 30 extra days so I’ve stayed in 60 day increments, go to another country for brief period and it resets. Just wondering if it’s possible or some rule I don’t know about that you can’t keep doing this. Does it help I went away for a full week? Instead of just a few days, guess I’m just worried about booking a condo for a month and they tell me you can’t come into Thailand 

5 minutes ago, AngryBear said:

No visa just came to Thailand and got extension for 30 extra days so I’ve stayed in 60 day increments, go to another country for brief period and it resets. Just wondering if it’s possible or some rule I don’t know about that you can’t keep doing this. Does it help I went away for a full week? Instead of just a few days, guess I’m just worried about booking a condo for a month and they tell me you can’t come into Thailand 

If it’s just twice, it’s unlikely to be a problem. No guarantees though. If you’ve done it multiple times or stayed in Thailand 6 months or more in total out of last 12 then more likely to be a problem.

It’s certainly not a good plan moving forward!!!!

Getting a visa will help. You could still be flagged if you’ve spent majority of the year in Thailand though. If you’re near a Thai Consulate then look into getting a Tourist Visa. Some are more helpful than others.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

You are allowed 2 visa exempts per year at land borders, 6 at airports. They seem to be targeting people with many tourist visas and visa exempts in a year. Take 20,000 baht equivalent, I also had a TM11 form ready to go in case entry was denied.

They can send you back where you came from, but worth asking for KL or Cambodia

1 hour ago, AngryBear said:

American here. 

So I was in Thailand in October//November of 2018 and did 30 day visa extension. 

Came back back in February 2019 and also did 30 day visa extension. 

Left for for a week to another country and coming back into Thailand, looking at my passport have a bunch of Thailand entry and re entry stamps and I’m wondering if there’s any chance I can be denied entry. Heard that has happened before to other people who they thought were working here. Which I’m not but no denying I spent lots of time this last year in Thailand. Anything to worry about here?

Seriously, stop over thinking it and worrying.

OP, if you do get refused ... remember to post a selfie from the IDC   :GoldenSmile1:

And before the pedantics jump in I know I know, he'd be unlikely to end up in the actual IDC if refused entry.

On 15/04/2019 at 16:42, Scuba+ said:

You are allowed 2 visa exempts per year at land borders, 6 at airports. They seem to be targeting people with many tourist visas and visa exempts in a year. Take 20,000 baht equivalent, I also had a TM11 form ready to go in case entry was denied.

The 6 visa excempts at the airport isnt a rule.

34 minutes ago, Yahooka said:

^ What he said.

But it looks like 6 exempts gets flagged for the IO to have a closer look.

On 15/04/2019 at 23:58, davidge said:

On 16/04/2019 at 00:42, Scuba+ said:

You are allowed 2 visa exempts per year at land borders, 6 at airports. They seem to be targeting people with many tourist visas and visa exempts in a year. Take 20,000 baht equivalent, I also had a TM11 form ready to go in case entry was denied.They can send you back where you came from, but worth asking for KL or Cambodia

12 hours ago, Ru4Real said:

^ What he said.

All i know i i had a mate that basically lived there used the 30 visa excuse to go to wife number 2 in manila.

He had been doing the visa exempt in and out for for years.

till last year a IO had a closer look now in process of getting a retirement one 

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

On 18/04/2019 at 02:37, Ru4Real said:

^ What he said.

Thats correct.

If nothing else, have an ONWARD ticket out of Thailand to show.

Last month, originating in the US, I was asked at airline checkin 'do you have a return ticket?'

Fortunately, I have a valid Thai visa but airlines are cracking down on one-way tickets into Thailand.

It is 4 months in LOS in the last 6 months if i understand well.

If no previous visit in Thailand before October 2018 I don't think they will deny entry.

Be prepared however:

- to get some questions about what you are doing here

- to get asked to show a Ticket out of Thailand AND/OR 10 to 20K in bath or equivalent IN CASH

32 minutes ago, KhunChang said:

No such rule.

32 minutes ago, KhunChang said:

- to get asked to show a Ticket out of Thailand AND/OR 10 to 20K in bath or equivalent IN CASH

10K on visa waiver ... but the problem is, those being refused aren't being asked nor do the IOs care when shown.

On April 15, 2019 at 07:42, Scuba+ said:

On April 17, 2019 at 17:02, Yahooka said:

On April 17, 2019 at 17:37, Ru4Real said:

^ What he said.

With more than 6 exemptions stamps in my passport, recently experienced the IO taking a close look and counting up the days I have been in Thailand.

He said OK but cautioned me that I cannot be in Thailand more than 3 months in a 6 month period without a visa.  There in lies the rule IMO.

There are no rules/laws stating how long you can stay. That's the problem. There are reports of "some" IOs  making up their own rules at DMK and Swampy and refusing entry against the law.

19 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

There are no rules/laws stating how long you can stay. That's the problem. There are reports of "some" IOs  making up their own rules at DMK and Swampy and refusing entry against the law.

It seem that way.  All of my exemption stamps were at BKK.

There were changes with regards to the allowed number of visa exemption stamps at land borders.  So says the Thai embassy here in Vancouver Canada.

image.png

1 hour ago, Ru4Real said:

No such rule.

10K on visa waiver ... but the problem is, those being refused aren't being asked nor do the IOs care when shown.

Never said it was a rule, it is just that obviously the more you stay, the more you attract the attention on yourself.

And some are being asked and then refused because they have no cash with them , so better carry this cash.

4 minutes ago, KhunChang said:

Never said it was a rule

Well this sounded like you where saying it was:

1 hour ago, KhunChang said:

27 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Yes, land borders is two; by air no limits.

I still think, as the IO cautioned me recently about the 3 month limit in a 6 month period on a visa exemption stamp, that the official rule does speak to there being a limit.

Depending on what embassy site you visit there is reference to it but the wording can be somewhat ambiguous, whether it's 3 times or the accumulation of 90 days in the 6 month period.

image.png

In my case, looking at my passport, I had 4 airport arrival visa exempt stamps in the previous 6 months, but much less than 90 days in that 6 month period.

In my case, looking at my passport, I had 4 airport arrival visa exempt stamps in the previous 6 months, but much less than 90 days in that 6 month period.

From everything I've read, visa exempts are best avoided, they seem to draw the attention of the IOs. With multiple tourist visas I've never had a problem even though spend most of the year here

Archived