IGNORED

Denied at port of entry (possible?)

AngryBear

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Whalley said:

Other web sites say no limit when entering by air.

There definitely is no law stating a limit on visa exempt (by air), nor is there a law stating X amount of days in a given period.

But, there's definitely an uptick in the amount of people IOs are refusing entry to (even with a visa) but in all cases I've read about it's people working the system to actually live in Thailand (regardless of what spin they put on it).

In fact, one of your countrymen found himself denied entry and is now in detention awaiting a flight out as I type. He was denied entry a couple of hours ago and now wondering about the best way to get back in as "I do live in Bangkok, have possessions and an ongoing lease here."

Bottom line, "normal" tourists have very little to worry about. Those working the system may be better looking at legit options.

13 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:

From everything I've read, visa exempts are best avoided, they seem to draw the attention of the IOs. With multiple tourist visas I've never had a problem even though spend most of the year here

For me, the visa exemption stamp is the simplest way to go.  I come often but seldom stay more than 2 weeks anymore.

I'm not too concerned because I don't believe I'm the sort of traveler targeted by Immigration but should I ever be denied entry, I have no issue booking a cheap flight out to a neighbouring country.

2 minutes ago, Ru4Real said:

Bottom line, "normal" tourists have very little to worry about. Those working the system may be better looking at legit options.

Makes sense what you are saying and in my case with frequent short trips, I don't anticipate any problems.

Although the ignorant prick ... I mean nice IO ... didn't say a word to me (not even a grunt when handing my passport back) a couple of trips back, he examined my passport and looked up stuff on the computer for about 15 minutes. Given I'd been in and out quite a few times that year I assumed I'd been flagged but on looking he could see I was just a frequent short stay visitor.

Must admit was starting to think what Plan B was going to be 555

For me, the visa exemption stamp is the simplest way to go.  I come often but seldom stay more than 2 weeks anymore.
I'm not too concerned because I don't believe I'm the sort of traveler targeted by Immigration but should I ever be denied entry, I have no issue booking a cheap flight out to a neighbouring country.
Yes it's unlikely they will target you based on your stays, but if they do, generally they return you where you came from, Canada in your case

That was my concern when they guy took so long checking my passport, be a real pain in the arse if I ended up being sent back to Oz. Been a few recent cases where it appears it has to be on same airline but people have been able to choose destination.

That was my concern when they guy took so long checking my passport, be a real pain in the arse if I ended up being sent back to Oz. Been a few recent cases where it appears it has to be on same airline but people have been able to choose destination.
Yes worth trying going to a destination of choice but it's the airlines responsibility to send you back so seems most likely based on reports you will be sent back. I was also concerned hence for my recent arrival I had a TM11 appeal form ready to hand in

18 minutes ago, Scuba+ said:
31 minutes ago, Whalley said:

Yes it's unlikely they will target you based on your stays, but if they do, generally they return you where you came from, Canada in your case

I never enter Thailand from Canada so hopefully I would be returned to Indonesia or Korea where I'm usually coming from.

• 4 weeks later...

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises that no more than 90 days in a 6 month period starting with the beginning of a  6 month period  is the limit for exemptions:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Q:    I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold American passport. Do I need a visa?               

A:    Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

The list of the 42 countries could be found at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

of Thailand’s website (www.mfa.go.th).    

1 hour ago, ricktoronto said:

The Thailand Ministry of Foreign Affairs advises that no more than 90 days in a 6 month period starting with the beginning of a  6 month period  is the limit for exemptions:

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15380-Questions-&-Answers-on-Thai-Visa.html

Q:    I would like to go to Thailand for vacation for 2 weeks. I hold American passport. Do I need a visa?               

A:    Nationals of the United States of America and 41 other countries are eligible

to travel to Thailand, for tourism purpose, with the exemption of visa and

are permitted to stay in the Kingdom for a period of not exceeding 30 days.

Therefore, you do not need a visa.

However, please make sure that you are in possession of a passport valid for

at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket, and adequate finances equivalent to

at least 10,000 Baht per person or 20,000 Baht per family. Otherwise, you may be

inconvenienced upon entry into the country.

Furthermore, foreigners who enter the Kingdom under this Tourist Visa Exemption Scheme may re-enter and stay in Thailand for a cumulative duration of stay of

not exceeding 90 days within any 6-month period from the date of first entry.

The list of the 42 countries could be found at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

of Thailand’s website (www.mfa.go.th).    

Hmmmm i know there was a law or at least a project for a law about this limitation of 90 days per 6 months many years ago but it was abandoned.

This website looks official and from the MFA of Thailand and not some embassy...

Do you know if this part was recently addded?

I've been 3 months and 3 weeks in Thailand already for 2019. Leaving for cambodia this week and I was taking for granted the one land border exemption I have left.

If this is enforced it looks like that i will have to find an other solution.

In that case, thanks god i don't have strong financials or emotial commitments in this country at this time...

There's only been 4 months and 3 weeks in the year and you've accumulated all but a month of that? How many trips and how frequently to pull that off?

They've never said anything? And I think that info is not new.

21 hours ago, KhunChang said:

Sorry, my mistake, it is 3 months and 3 weeks for 2019.

Yes you said you have been there 3 months and 3 weeks (and you just said it again) and I replied 2019 so far only has had 4 months and 3 weeks passed so how have you been there for 3/4 of the year so far?

Extended tourist visa started in winter 2018  and extended visa exempt entry.

What is so incredible about that? Your questions are a bit weird  tbh.

Well the discussion is about via exempt entries and how and if they calculate the 90 days accumulated within 6 months rule, so using a visa and extending some quantity of visa exemptions plus apparently calendar 2019 now includes 2018 does not really help with the experience of visa exempt only entries. 

How many repeat visa exemptions only you've managed would be interesting to know particularly if the 15 days is being enforced hard and fast at the land borders. 

I thought it was going to be a story about a BG on the rag...

:Dunno:

On the trail of the pink pussy
Don't sweat the petty things. Just pet the sweaty things!

TRs
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Pattaya        http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Cambodia     http://www.pattaya-a...uldoon-will-go/
Oct-Nov 2013 TR Bangkok       http://www.bangkok-a...uldoon-will-go/

On 23/05/2019 at 14:05, ricktoronto said:

...particularly if the 15 days is being enforced hard and fast at the land borders. 

Hasn't been 15 days for years; got bumped back to 30 (for those eligible) that where downgraded to 15 around 2016 if memory serves.

• 1 month later...
On 15/04/2019 at 11:32, Ru4Real said:

OP, if you do get refused ... remember to post a selfie from the IDC   :GoldenSmile1:

And before the pedantics jump in I know I know, he'd be unlikely to end up in the actual IDC if refused entry.

"pedants". :Laugh1:

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my situation and I would open to advice -  I am coming in October 2019 for 6 weeks from the US with a round trip ticket.  Usually I get a 30 day exemption then go to immigration for an extension for the rest of my stay.  I do this twice a year in October and February.  With the recent issues of denied re-entry I am concerned.  I am hoping to make a side trip with a friend to PI or Vietnam.  This could work out that I would be able to get two 30 day exempts as I would leave in the middle of my stay but I think that could cause issue as it is 2 exemptions close together along with an exemption coming up in February (or the one I had last March).  A 60 day tourist visa is only $40 but if I leave the country it would become invalid on return.   Would it be best to have use a 30 day exempt for my entry in October and set up my Visa for when I return from my trip outside the country to Bangkok or would this create issues?  I know a multi entry is an option but I would rather not spend $200 for that as I am not sure I will be coming back in February at this point.  Or.....should I just be patient and wait a month and then see how things are being handled at that time.  Thank you for any insight.

13 minutes ago, doug said:

Here is my situation and I would open to advice -  I am coming in October 2019 for 6 weeks from the US with a round trip ticket.  Usually I get a 30 day exemption then go to immigration for an extension for the rest of my stay.  I do this twice a year in October and February.  With the recent issues of denied re-entry I am concerned.  I am hoping to make a side trip with a friend to PI or Vietnam.  This could work out that I would be able to get two 30 day exempts as I would leave in the middle of my stay but I think that could cause issue as it is 2 exemptions close together along with an exemption coming up in February (or the one I had last March).  A 60 day tourist visa is only $40 but if I leave the country it would become invalid on return.   Would it be best to have use a 30 day exempt for my entry in October and set up my Visa for when I return from my trip outside the country to Bangkok or would this create issues?  I know a multi entry is an option but I would rather not spend $200 for that as I am not sure I will be coming back in February at this point.  Or.....should I just be patient and wait a month and then see how things are being handled at that time.  Thank you for any insight.

Honestly, I think it’s very unlikely you’ll be denied at port of entry. If there’s an issue it’s more likely to be at check-in in the USA - and that may not be a problem.

I am ultra cautious, so would get a Single Entry Tourist Visa before travelling to eliminate that risk. If you take a side trip just make sure it’s not at the beginning of your stay so you have fewer than 30 days in Thailand when you return from the PI or Vietnam. Really can’t see you having any problems getting a 30-day Visa Exempt when you do.

As always, there’s no black & white with this stuff. Most travellers have no issues then, just occasionally, Immigration will decide to be difficult.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

2 hours ago, doug said:

Would it be best to have use a 30 day exempt for my entry in October and set up my Visa for when I return from my trip outside the country to Bangkok or would this create issues?

I think they will always use the Visa on the first time you enter the country with the visa already in your passport. 

12 hours ago, doug said:

I do as you describe, every October-November and February-Match I fly in from the U.S. Around the end of the fourth week I go to Angeles City for nine days, then Fly back to Pattaya. Have never had a second look from immigration. I read the current immigration rules which limit you to two land entries a year but several more annually when arriving by air, so shoudn't be a problem for you. Just don't cross more than twice a year by land..

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

On 26/07/2019 at 12:28, davidge said:

Honestly, I think it’s very unlikely you’ll be denied at port of entry. If there’s an issue it’s more likely to be at check-in in the USA - and that may not be a problem.

I am ultra cautious, so would get a Single Entry Tourist Visa before travelling to eliminate that risk. If you take a side trip just make sure it’s not at the beginning of your stay so you have fewer than 30 days in Thailand when you return from the PI or Vietnam. Really can’t see you having any problems getting a 30-day Visa Exempt when you do.

As always, there’s no black & white with this stuff. Most travellers have no issues then, just occasionally, Immigration will decide to be difficult.

I have flown on United and American Airlines and I was always able to tell them that yes I do get a 30 day exemption but there is a process that allows me to get an extension on that within the country.  They call their support line and they allow me to go.  This has happened twice out of 6 flights staying longer than 30 days.  The other flights they just allow me to pass.  I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Bangkok is a plane hub for me, and I usually stay 1 or 2 nights in transit. Can happen more than 10 times a year. I have loaded of stamps in my passport. Though I never had problems arriving in bkk.

But I had problems in Tokyo regarding my many trips in Thailand. They questioned me as they found it suspiscious. And looked through all my belongings. And let me in the country... they could not understand why I was always staying only overnight in Thailand.

Archived