IGNORED

Quoted 25000 baht for an OA retirement Visa

Tigers2017

37 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

I have a Kasikorn account, but have never noticed this higher interest rate of which you speak.

They are time deposits.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 06/04/2019 at 15:03, Sexyfarangman said:

I believe that the 800K equivalent in AUDs can be in an Australian bank account if you apply for the visa in Oz. This will avoid the problem of tying up the 800K in a Thai bank account.

On 06/04/2019 at 16:14, Atlas said:

This is good to know. 

I loathe the idea of having 800K here in the bank... The rules change too often and what's to stop them taking it, really... 

On 06/04/2019 at 16:52, onehunglo said:

it's good to be able to protect what you have , i'm pretty sure you can have the 800,000 in a aussie account as well

On 06/04/2019 at 17:08, Scuba+ said:

It's the O-A where you can use 800k baht equivalent in farangland, not O

Well it a yes from the thai consulate in sydney for funds to be in AUD. $275 for  the visa or $550 with multiple entries. 

Now the question is what happens in thailand when it comes to renewal time will the Thai  immigration now accept funds in AUD equivalency  or any other currencies.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.

1 hour ago, talung66 said:

Well it a yes from the thai consulate in sydney for funds to be in AUD. $275 for  the visa or $550 with multiple entries. 

Now the question is what happens in thailand when it comes to renewal time will the Thai  immigration now accept funds in AUD equivalency  or any other currencies.

shouldn't be any difference , one would think you will only need a letter supporting it 

This thread is a total mess :sad:

with different members talking of different things (Visa O-A, Visa-O, Extensions) and mixing everything :wacko:

34 minutes ago, onehunglo said:

shouldn't be any difference , one would think you will only need a letter supporting it

> Now the question is what happens in Thailand when it comes to renewal time

Easy: You cannot renew a Visa in Thailand... 

> Will the Thai  immigration now accept funds in AUD equivalency  or any other currencies ?

What you can do is obtaining an Extension (for Retirement, Marriage...) and then the rules are clear: You have to prove an income (embassy letter or monthly transfers) or to show money in a Thai bank all year long (whatever currency it is). You will never get an extension on money you have abroad.

My 12 month visa cost $200 USD with unlimited entries in 2017. As for renewal, I'm fairly certain that you will have to return to Oz to go through the process again each year, unless you keep 800,000 baht in the Thai bank account.

52 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

This thread is a total mess :sad:

with different members talking of different things (Visa O-A, Visa-O, Extensions) and mixing everything :wacko:

> Now the question is what happens in Thailand when it comes to renewal time

Easy: You cannot renew a Visa in Thailand... 

> Will the Thai  immigration now accept funds in AUD equivalency  or any other currencies ?

What you can do is obtaining an Extension (for Retirement, Marriage...) and then the rules are clear: You have to prove an income (embassy letter or monthly transfers) or to show money in a Thai bank all year long (whatever currency it is). You will never get an extension on money you have abroad.(  a mate is going through the process of transferring some of his singapore US dollar account to a thai US dollar one)

The lady at the desk told me otherwise when i asked 

I had to tell her maybe i will have problem when i am in thailand  i think she shrugged her shoulders.

I understand that 800k at my age is a small amount but why lock it up when i my case.

For 25k in the tread that's a trip home + the visa fee to do the process over again.( for me in  oz i can get all  my free annual check ups etc.)

At the moment i am doing visa arrival or SETV for 6 month stays  dont see the value in METV + the border run fee . less doing  a return to angeles on special for me.

50 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

My 12 month visa cost $200 USD with unlimited entries in 2017. As for renewal, I'm fairly certain that you will have to return to Oz to go through the process again each year, unless you keep 800,000 baht in the Thai bank account.

well yes from replies

8 minutes ago, talung66 said:
1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

You will never get an extension on money you have abroad.

( a mate is going through the process of transferring some of his Singapore US dollar account to a Thai US dollar one)

Yes. Conform to what I said. You have to bring the money in Thailand to get a yearly extension.

8 minutes ago, talung66 said:

The lady at the desk told me otherwise when i asked

Otherwise about what point?? No Retirement Extension with 800kB in your country. 100% sure.

48 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

Yes. Conform to what I said. You have to bring the money in Thailand to get a yearly extension.

Otherwise about what point??

No Retirement Extension with 800kB in your country. 100% sure.

I think we're going back and forth confusing each other ( think you mean own countries  currency for extension in thailand)

I asked if it is ok for money to be AUD  equivalent  for retirement visa  she said yes.

next question i asked 

Is 800k ok in AUD when i need to renew she said yes

I replied maybe i will have a problem in thailand as they will not understand situation of 800k being equivalent  in AUD for renewal process there.

she shrugged her shoulder. 

I replied maybe i will have a problem in thailand as they will not understand situation of 800k being equivalent  in AUD for renewal process there.

she shrugged her shoulder. 

Ok, I will stop here as it's becoming ridiculous. Clearly a big misunderstanding between this lady and you. Up to you to believe in what you wrote, but rules are clear. Mainly for you :

- you cannot renew (or get a new) Visa O-A in Thailand

- you cannot get a Retirement Extension based on your 800k not in a Thai bank.

11 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

Ok, I will stop here as it's becoming ridiculous. Clearly a big misunderstanding between this lady and you. Up to you to believe in what you wrote, but rules are clear. Mainly for you :

- you cannot get a Retirement Extension based on your 800k not in a Thai bank.

I thought he was talking about having the equivalent of 800K baht of Aussie dollars in a Thai bank account.  I had a friend renew his retirement extension last year and he had American dollars in his Thai bank account.

Here is what i prepared for my nephew (and anyone else who was interested.)

Easiest Route to get a RV,

1,  Get a 3 months Non- Immigrant O visa in your own country (or outside Thailand). By post from Thai Embassy in London cost £50. You can get at Bangkok Immigration but you may have to show them all the documents required for the Extension of stay and need a few visits.

2. Open a Thai bank account and transfer over 800,000 baht. Some branches will do, some wont. You might need a letter from Immigration to the bank to say OK as you plan to get a RV.

3.  Wait until you have the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months.

4.   On the third month go to Immigration and apply for Extension of Stay usually referred to as a Retirement Visa (RV). See next section.

Complete Form TM7 –“Application for Extension of Temporary Stay in the Kingdom”.(ask for 365 days). Include photo.

Fee 1900 Baht.

Take Passport and copy of relevant pages of the Passport. Sign all copies.

Take Bank book and copy of bank book. 

Letter from bank confirming you have over 800.000 within 3 days of going to immigration. Take some money out of the bank on day of going for RV to prove the 800,000 Baht is in an accessible account and to show there is still not less than 800,000 baht in the account on that day..

Copy of rental agreement (or equivalent) confirming your residence.

Make sure when arriving in country that your place of residence has been registered with Immigration. Form TM30 can be used,

Note: As an alternative to 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, you can show a sum of not less than 65,000 baht going into your bank every month.

It is not clear yet whether Immigration will accept say130,000 baht going in every 2 months.

The Non-Immigrant O Visa can be obtained at Bangkok Immigration (2000 baht). Jomtien Immigration can get it for you from Bangkok but I have heard “fees” of 20,000 baht mentioned but I assume they process the RV at the same time.

If application is approved you will normally have to go back next day to collect your passport with the RV stamp. Make sure you already have a set of photo-copies of your passport pages and get a copy of the RV stamp and apply for a re-entry Visa on Form TM8. Single entry 1000 baht; Multiple entry 3800 Baht.

Get the Form when you go to apply for your RV and complete before you go back to save time at Immigration.Unless of course you plan to stay in Thailand for the next 12 months.

Under the new Rules which came into effect on 1st March 2019, you are supposed to keep not less than 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months and you can then reduce to 400,000 Baht till it is time to renew.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

OK i am not going to quote anyone any more 

This is what i found in a thai website for extension of retirement visa,. 

as you see in point (4) quotes thai bank account

point (5) dose not.

and same in required documents clause (5) is not mentioned

image.thumb.png.5f5bcfa8394e14349f7d9399020fcb50.png

image.thumb.png.00085078809cf0fc95bf5463046b6cf5.png

Not going to quote all of @Billyboy294 post, but his plan falls down at point 1 for most people from the UK on here. You CANNOT get a Non-O 3-month Visa on the basis of Retirement in the UK unless you are in receipt of a State Pension - so you’d need to be at least 66. In any case, if you’re doing this from your home country then it’s much better to get an O-A Visa as you then get a year in Thailand when you enter.

Some of the other advice is a little dubious as well, but I’m fed up of repeating myself on here tbh.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

wait a damn second - people are saying you can have the equivilent of 800K THB in your farangLand bank account - and that will suffice to get a retirement extension?  that surely doesn't sound correct in any way, shape, or form... 

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

17 minutes ago, southsidebruce said:

wait a damn second - people are saying you can have the equivilent of 800K THB in your farangLand bank account - and that will suffice to get a retirement extension?  that surely doesn't sound correct in any way, shape, or form... 

It is not. It is completely and utterly wrong. Anyone taking that advice and following it will end up in the shit.

Staying in Thailand for ‘retirement’ requires 2 things:

1. An initial VISA. This can be a Non-immigrant O Visa or a Non immigrant O-A Visa;

2. An annual EXTENSION OF STAY.

For point 1, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A RETIREMENT VISA. You can get a Non-O in your own country, in Thailand or in another country. You can only get a Non O-A in your own country. Requirements for these visas do vary a little from country to country. If applying in your own country then funds in a local bank account are used to show you meet the financial requirements.

For point 2, this can only be done in Thailand. Funds to meet the financial requirements CAN ONLY BE IN A THAI BANK.

I don’t mind people having trouble understanding the various requirements, but really wish they wouldn’t confidently post utter nonsense on here that could cause others to have problems.

Quote from talung66’s document.

In the case of Retirement; Criteria for Consideration.

The Alien

1.Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)

2. Must be 50 years or over

3. etc

So if you are 50 years or over you can apply for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement but first you require a Non-Immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in your own country (or outside Thailand) but you must be 66 years or over to get one..

Yes that makes sense.

Sex without love is an empty experience;

But as empty experiences go, it is one of the best.

1 hour ago, Billyboy294 said:

Quote from talung66’s document.

In the case of Retirement; Criteria for Consideration.

The Alien

1.Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (NON-IM)

2. Must be 50 years or over

3. etc

So if you are 50 years or over you can apply for an Extension of Stay based on Retirement but first you require a Non-Immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in your own country (or outside Thailand) but you must be 66 years or over to get one..

Yes that makes sense.

No, you are still not understanding! It’s only in the UK (as far as I know) you have to get a State Pension in order to get a Non-O. You CAN get one in other countries. So, a Brit could get one in Penang or Savannakhet, for example. In the UK, you can get the Non O-A at any age over 50.

PS I wouldn’t rely on the document that was posted anyway. Could be from any website and certainly isn’t to be treated as gospel.

1 hour ago, southsidebruce said:

You have to do it in your home country. If you do it in LOS, you will need the 800,000K in a Thai bank account. Do it in your home country, then an 800,000K equivalent in your home country account. However, in the USA, there is a lot more paperwork if you go the home country route.

1 minute ago, Sexyfarangman said:

You have to do it in your home country. If you do it in LOS, you will need the 800,000K in a Thai bank account. Do it in your home country, then an 800,000K equivalent in your home country account. However, in the USA, there is a lot more paperwork if you go the home country route.

You cannot get an Extension of Stay in your home country. You can only get one in Thailand.

You can get a Non-immigrant O-A Visa in your home country and, if you are travelling between there and Thailand on a fairly regular basis, you could just keep getting a new O-A Visa whenever necessary.

3 minutes ago, davidge said:

You cannot get an Extension of Stay in your home country. You can only get one in Thailand.

You can get a Non-immigrant O-A Visa in your home country and, if you are travelling between there and Thailand on a fairly regular basis, you could just keep getting a new O-A Visa whenever necessary.

I think there is a confusion on the terminology. When I got my non-immigrant O-A visa, I realized that it had to be renewed every year. You have to go through the whole process again each year if you do it in your home country. Are you saying that you can't repeat the process in your home country annually? 

7 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

I think there is a confusion on the terminology. When I got my non-immigrant O-A visa, I realized that it had to be renewed every year. You have to go through the whole process again each year if you do it in your home country. Are you saying that you can't repeat the process in your home country annually? 

No, I’m not.

I’m saying that you CAN repeat the whole process in your home country. You get a new visa each time. (Wouldn’t necessarily be annually depending on your travel plans. You can make an O-A visa last nearly 2 years if you time it right).

If you get an Extension of Stay in Thailand annually instead then you never need to get another visa. You are Extending your Permission to Stay based on the original visa. 

This is what i found in a thai website for extension of retirement visa,. 

as you see in point (4) quotes thai bank account

point (5) does not.

The point (5) is the combo method; Documents required for combo method are a letter from your embassy (income) + a letter of a Thai bank showing your balance.

You are from Australia, so you cannot use the combo method (at least in Jomtien Immigration) because your embassy stopped providing income letters..

I've only read one report so far of the new combo method working using monthly Intl payments. So not good evidence it can be relied upon at Jomtien

6 hours ago, davidge said:

No, I’m not.

I’m saying that you CAN repeat the whole process in your home country. You get a new visa each time. (Wouldn’t necessarily be annually depending on your travel plans. You can make an O-A visa last nearly 2 years if you time it right).

If you get an Extension of Stay in Thailand annually instead then you never need to get another visa. You are Extending your Permission to Stay based on the original visa. 

Right, but the extension stay requires the 800K in a Thai bank account whereas repeating the non-immigration procedure every year in your home country only requires that you have the 800K equivalent in your home country bank account.

3 minutes ago, Sexyfarangman said:

Right, but the extension stay requires the 800K in a Thai bank account whereas repeating the non-immigration procedure every year in your home country only requires that you have the 800K equivalent in your home country bank account.

Yes.

Plus the extra paperwork, obviously. :-)

Archived