IGNORED

The Base

exercise

3 hours ago, blueye44 said:

They  dont care... its ur condo..  they never ask me ever

For the record, I have always rented for more than a month. I always have a proper visa etc. 

Its their house, I try to play by the rules.

I befriend security quickly, and have never had the slightest of problems.

but I could surely understand someone buying into the base, and have it turned into a dormitory!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, SirL said:

If the renter is able/willing to lie that they are staying for more than a month, say six weeks for instance, then I can't see there being much of a practical problem, and where the Chinese in The Base are staying at condos owned by other Chinese with whom they have an "understanding", that'll see off the enforcement of sub 30 day rentals issue.  If the renter can/is willing to cooperate to avoid a problem, there won't be one.

Its only full-on commercial arrangements where the renter is unwilling to lie that present a problem, I guess. 

But then another angle of attack for enforcers, rather than security men checking on the front gate, would be simply to log onto the AirBnB website and quickly get a list of the dozens of The Base condos listed on that.

How would the owner get around reporting to Immigration individuals staying in their unit for only days/weeks at a time?

How would the owner get around reporting to Immigration individuals staying in their unit for only days/weeks at a time?
No need to report them as they may well not need to go to Jomtien for an extension. Owners probably just wing it

4 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

I don't think owners do report AirBnB renters to immigration.  Isn't the get-around something to do with the stay being short?

9 hours ago, SirL said:

I don't think owners do report AirBnB renters to immigration.  Isn't the get-around something to do with the stay being short?

I don't believe there is a get around for staying short, not even for one day. That's why hotels/guesthouses make a copy of your passport, to report (TM30?) to immigration.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

I don't believe there is a get around for staying short, not even for one day. That's why hotels/guesthouses make a copy of your passport, to report (TM30?) to immigration.
The answer is #103

1 hour ago, Scuba+ said:
6 hours ago, likeaking said:

The answer is #103

20 hours ago, Scuba+ said:

No need to report them as they may well not need to go to Jomtien for an extension. Owners probably just wing it

True, if the renter doesn't have to go to Jomtien immigration, registering isn't a problem. On the other hand, I wouldn't call an owner blowing off filing a TM30 a get-around, it leaves them open to penalties (illegal rental, tax evasion) if they are caught. Also, if the condos were puchased with AirB&B in mind and the owner gets caught, he/she may suffer large financial losses if the unit can't be rented short-tern in the future as planned. I've no sympathy for these owners. My sympathies go to the owners in residence.

Every hole a goal.

Condoms kill boners. Save the boners.

Stop the Vagilantes.

51 minutes ago, likeaking said:

True, if the renter doesn't have to go to Jomtien immigration, registering isn't a problem. On the other hand, I wouldn't call an owner blowing off filing a TM30 a get-around, it leaves them open to penalties (illegal rental, tax evasion) if they are caught. Also, if the condos were puchased with AirB&B in mind and the owner gets caught, he/she may suffer large financial losses if the unit can't be rented short-tern in the future as planned. I've no sympathy for these owners. My sympathies go to the owners in residence.

I know that if I was an owner I wouldn't try to get around the law. I guess no one has ever heard of the authorities conducting a sting operation in LOS.  Those that get caught then whine about it.

I know that if I was an owner I wouldn't try to get around the law. I guess no one has ever heard of the authorities conducting a sting operation in LOS.  Those that get caught then whine about it.
Then you would probably be leaving your condo vacant most of the time.

The point is that there hasn't been any major stings which it is why it is still being done. The closest is the crackdown on guesthouses.

6 minutes ago, hioctane said:

The point is that there hasn't been any major stings which it is why it is still being done. The closest is the crackdown on guesthouses.

I agree, I think there are far bigger fish to be fried....

5 minutes ago, hioctane said:

It would be fairly easy to find out who's violating the law.  Thai authorities inquire with Airbnb about rentals at the Base.  Then provide dates and the units that are occupied they get the passport numbers and check with immigration to see if they complied.

It would be fairly easy to find out who's violating the law.  Thai authorities inquire with Airbnb about rentals at the Base.  Then provide dates and the units that are occupied they get the passport numbers and check with immigration to see if they complied.
It is not just fairly easy. It is very easy. TiT. Thai authorities is not in the business of cracking on every law on the books! The only time they seem to crack down is around election time and then it is back to the status quo.

Airbnb won't volunteeringly give up that information. They are in the business of making money. They will fight tooth and nail to stop it. It will take a lot of legal work which Thai authorities don't want to bother with.

3 minutes ago, hioctane said:

Airbnb won't volunteeringly give up that information. They are in the business of making money. They will fight tooth and nail to stop it. It will take a lot of legal work which Thai authorities don't want to bother with.

I've never used Airbnb so I'm not familiar on how it works. Are you saying that someone couldn't inquire about rentals at the Base and not be told about description and price and then once they received that info then provide them with dates of their trip to find out which units are not available?

I've never used Airbnb so I'm not familiar on how it works. Are you saying that someone couldn't inquire about rentals at the Base and not be told about description and price and then once they received that info then provide them with dates of their trip to find out which units are not available?
In the building offices, they actually obey the law because the penalties are too severe. In the Base they allow 1 month rentals. In a lot of other buildings in the major areas, it is 3-6 months minimum. If you want anything less, you need airbnb.

I guess a way around it is rent out to a company long term then sublet to tourists daily, weekly whatever, technically its a long term let

the developers that are selling dozens of new condos to a single chinese person has to know whats willing going on .but still chooses to sell to these people who have no Desire to live there. 

the developers that are selling dozens of new condos to a single chinese person has to know whats willing going on .but still chooses to sell to these people who have no desire to live there. 
You make it sound like they care. If you give them money, they will gladly take it.

Strange enough I found the Base also within the Agoda app or website.

As an once or twice a year visitor I've never have stayed in guesthouses or condo's like the Base.

Stayed at the opposite of the Base, LK hotel I believe and saw the room of the Base information on the Agoda website and from the window on the opposite which is very small.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

On 8/7/2018 at 11:39, hioctane said:

It is not just fairly easy. It is very easy. TiT. Thai authorities is not in the business of cracking on every law on the books! The only time they seem to crack down is around election time and then it is back to the status quo.

There are some very powerful vested interests being damaged by the short-term let model - namely the hotel sector. They are lobbying hard for action to be taken against the owners of holiday buy to lets. So, it is not inconceivable that the law could be applied more vigorously in the future. It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of cities across the globe (eg Santa Monica, San Francisco,  Berlin, Barcelona, Paris) have taken action to severely restrict Airbnb (eg forcing the owner to live all/part of year in the property, registering for tax purposes, register for a business license, apply a '14% occupancy tax', rentals capped at 90 days a year etc).

6 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

There are some very powerful vested interests being damaged by the short-term let model - namely the hotel sector. They are lobbying hard for action to be taken against the owners of holiday buy to lets. So, it is not inconceivable that the law could be applied more vigorously in the future. It's also worth bearing in mind that a number of cities across the globe (eg Santa Monica, San Francisco,  Berlin, Barcelona, Paris) have taken action to severely restrict Airbnb (eg forcing the owner to live all/part of year in the property, registering for tax purposes, register for a business license, apply a '14% occupancy tax', rentals capped at 90 days a year etc).

Trying to crack down on short term rentals would seem to me to be a game of whack-a-mole.  If you knock out AirBnB (which I doubt will go down without a fight) then the landlords would just reappear somewhere else.  If there's an economic motivation, where there clearly is, would-be landlords and renters will find each other on the internet.  IMO the policing resources required to prevent <30 day rentals privately taking place would be much greater than the benefits.  IMO the effect on big hotels (with owners large enough to lobby) of changes in tourism patterns are greater than the number of people staying <30 days in AirBnB condos.  Maybe the hotel owners don't realise how low the occupancy is in AirBnB condos - this is an overstated issue.

Or people will adapt their visit dates to suit whatever accomodation suits them.  AirBnB isn't quite delivering exactly what I'm looking for (particularly central condos with big dining tables - sod superhosts, I want a big table!) so I'm learning about medium term rentals and thinking that adapting my visit dates to bring them into play would work well on later visits.

One of the highlights of any stay of mine is multiple shaggings throughout the day...for which I need fresh towels.
Usually I keep the cleaning ladies sweet and they supply me towels as and when i need them
I wonder how accommodations like Base and View Talay view the whole towel thing.
Do you get just two when you check in and its up to you to launder as and when you like?

I stayed in a hotel for the exact reason... fresh towels. I wasn’t sure if the condo cleaner would do this so I chose a hotel and I had to remind the hotel to drop off 4 towels every day. A little of a hassle but never ran out of towels for my daily shags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

1 hour ago, SirL said:

Trying to crack down on short term rentals would seem to me to be a game of whack-a-mole.  If you knock out AirBnB (which I doubt will go down without a fight) then the landlords would just reappear somewhere else. ...

Japan (the country, not individual cities) has recently cracked down on all ST rentals by requiring ST rentals be registered w/license.  Airbnb in Japan is severely affected and landlords are not reappearing elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlNp76QpP4

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/06/06/business/airbnb-drops-nearly-80-percent-private-home-listings-ahead-new-peer-peer-rental-law/#.W2rN0Lgnbcs

Here is an email excerpt I received from Airbnb in July concerning my 5 night stay in Japan for Oct.

...We’re writing with an important update about your upcoming stay in Japan.

The Japanese government recently passed a law that regulates home sharing. In order to comply, all hosts are required to register their listing and display an approved license number by June 15th.

On June 1st, the Japanese government unexpectedly instructed us that any host without a valid license number should cancel all upcoming reservations….  

2 hours ago, SirL said:

Trying to crack down on short term rentals would seem to me to be a game of whack-a-mole.  If you knock out AirBnB (which I doubt will go down without a fight) then the landlords would just reappear somewhere else.  If there's an economic motivation, where there clearly is, would-be landlords and renters will find each other on the internet.  IMO the policing resources required to prevent <30 day rentals privately taking place would be much greater than the benefits.  IMO the effect on big hotels (with owners large enough to lobby) of changes in tourism patterns are greater than the number of people staying <30 days in AirBnB condos.  Maybe the hotel owners don't realise how low the occupancy is in AirBnB condos - this is an overstated issue.

Or people will adapt their visit dates to suit whatever accomodation suits them.  AirBnB isn't quite delivering exactly what I'm looking for (particularly central condos with big dining tables - sod superhosts, I want a big table!) so I'm learning about medium term rentals and thinking that adapting my visit dates to bring them into play would work well on later visits.

As the post below demonstrates (ie the example from Japan),  there are effective actions which States and Municipalities can take). The policing of them can be reasonably straightforward too (eg encouraging self-policing by encouraging permanent residents to report any hotel-esque guests living in the revolving door next to them using a dedicated  and confidential hot-line). By making the penalties severe to both the landlord and Airbnb might make wannabe short-term landlords think twice - Barcelona City Council levied heavy fines against Airbnb (24,000 euros) for “serious” breaches of local laws. Violations stemmed from hosts allegedly failing to register rental units with the Tourism Registry of Catalonia and also attempting to circumvent regional laws that prohibit renting out rooms in private residences.
Read more: Top Cities Where Airbnb Is Legal Or Illegal | Investopedia https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/083115/top-cities-where-airbnb-legal-or-illegal.asp#ixzz5NaNo1rSi

36 minutes ago, joeaf said:

Japan (the country, not individual cities) has recently cracked down on all ST rentals by requiring ST rentals be registered w/license.  Airbnb in Japan is severely affected and landlords are not reappearing elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZlNp76QpP4

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/06/06/business/airbnb-drops-nearly-80-percent-private-home-listings-ahead-new-peer-peer-rental-law/#.W2rN0Lgnbcs

Here is an email excerpt I received from Airbnb in July concerning my 5 night stay in Japan for Oct.

...We’re writing with an important update about your upcoming stay in Japan.

The Japanese government recently passed a law that regulates home sharing. In order to comply, all hosts are required to register their listing and display an approved license number by June 15th.

On June 1st, the Japanese government unexpectedly instructed us that any host without a valid license number should cancel all upcoming reservations….  

Good post mate - the times are changing for Airbnb, that's for sure.

I'll believe it when I see it.  TiT.

Personally, as far as my accomodation needs in Pattaya are concerned, I'm thinking that the lack of big tables (sorry to harp on about them) in many central Pattaya AirBnBs is making AirBnB slightly not all that useful for me.  I'm thinking of adapting my visits in future to more of a 2-3 month visit with short runs outside the country (including back to Europe) for visas etc, and the 2-3 month visit would be in one medium-term rental of that length - my reasoning being that there are far more condos available medium term than on AirBnB, and so I'm more likely to find the spec I am looking for.  Even if AirBnB was forced out, I might have moved on from it myself before that. On AirBnB I see a lot of condos sitting empty, very few of them being of the spec I am looking for, which makes me think (a) it's not that useful to me anyway, and (b) the number of hotel rooms not sold to people staying less than 30 days in AirBnB's isn't that great.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎07 at 13:32, electro said:

the developers that are selling dozens of new condos to a single chinese person has to know whats willing going on .but still chooses to sell to these people who have no desire to live there. 

well today was one of those days I told myself I have to get out of here. 20-40 Chinese plugging up the elevators every time I come or go. 3 elevators are enough for permanent residents but not enough for hotel .Talked to a western guy in the elevator about it .he wanted to buy a place here but said no way. My guess is very soon no permanent residents will be left in The Base .It will be a hotel half empty...just like security calls it already hotel The Base.

I been here two years and I liked it but its getting worse and nobody willing to do anything about it.So time to leave

Archived