IGNORED

The Base

exercise

Yes, it does sound as if quite a lot has changed in 18mths with the Chinese in The Base.
I was there 11 months ago, definitely overun.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 25/07/2018 at 03:15, jaynewcastle said:

When you enter the building, there is a large sign telling you its illegal, and the fine/punishment you can face

I'm guessing it's only in English?

2 hours ago, hioctane said:
6 hours ago, SirL said:
Yes, it does sound as if quite a lot has changed in 18mths with the Chinese in The Base.

I was there 11 months ago, definitely overun.

Yes past few trips I have walked pass it at different times of the day. The entrance on 2nd Road was always full of Chinese folks with their luggage coming and going to the condos.

I was there staying at Bay Breeze when they started construction and until completion. There was hardly any traffic foot or otherwise now you have damn near walk in the street to get pass.

IMO just the construction of The Edge would be a reason to avoid The Base for the next many months, but I guess the Chinese will continue within that period.  And then there'll be a completed The Edge to partly block the sea view.  It's over really for The Base IMO.  I enjoyed it before the Chinese and the construction, with a clear sea view.  A shame.

3 hours ago, Kahoy said:

I'm guessing it's only in English?

Its in 4 language including china ,pretty sure

On 04/08/2018 at 02:11, blueye44 said:

Its in 4 language including china ,pretty sure

Sorry 3 china thai eng very clear...but the security crew are checking them in !!

All it will take for the rules to be enforced is for one (well connected) Thai resident of the Base to complain to the authorities...then the short-term let market will be in trouble.

7 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

All it will take for the rules to be enforced is for one (well connected) Thai resident of The Base to complain to the authorities...then the short-term let market will be in trouble.

If that happens then all of the folk coming for under 30 days will be forced to use hotels,  then just watch the price of hotels rooms go through the roof

41 minutes ago, LOTTELLEE WINNA said:

All it will take for the rules to be enforced is for one (well connected) Thai resident of The Base to complain to the authorities...then the short-term let market will be in trouble.

There's so much oversupply of condos in the short term let market, I doubt that would make much difference, even if other condo blocks tried a bit harder on enforcement.  And remember after all, there are loads of other unenforced laws, so why should the one on short term lets be particularly enforced?

Even whilst The Base has a proper security barrier with human beings to check people inwards, most other condos do not, they just have a security door which you bleep open, so it's much less practical in them to enforce some distinction between some holders of security passes and others.

I'm also unconvinced that the quantity of AirBnB renters renting for much less than 30 days is all that great in Pattaya anyway.  Obviously most AirBnB renters are renting for at least a fortnight (if less they'd use a hotel), and if renting for more than 30 days they'd have no problem with enforcement.  IMO the occupancy rate in most Pattaya AirBnBs is pathetic, there's space everywhere.  I don't think the number of AirBnB renters that would shift to hotels is all that big, if enforcement for less than 30 days actually happened.

3 hours ago, flyingscotsman said:

If that happens then all of the folk coming for under 30 days will be forced to use hotels,  then just watch the price of hotels rooms go through the roof

Maybe your right, but neither of us really knows. It depends on a number of factors, the most important of which is the number of S/T renters - this almost impossible to gauge as it's based on largely informal arrangements.

5 hours ago, flyingscotsman said:

We're talking about folk renting in the 15-30 day zone, and IMO there aren't that many of them.  If sub-30 day enforcement actually happened in The Base, the AirBnB renters would just shift from The Base to one of all the other dozens of condo blocks which are currently largely empty and which do not have human security guys checking who's coming and going.

We're talking about folk renting in the 15-30 day zone, and IMO there aren't that many of them.  If sub-30 day enforcement actually happened in The Base, the AirBnB renters would just shift from The Base to one of all the other dozens of condo blocks which are currently largely empty and which do not have human security guys checking who's coming and going.
Exactly. I am at City Garden now. I get a keyfob that I zap in and out with. Security hardly talks to me and never checks ID like at the Base.

On my last Airbnb rental, the landlord told me that if there was a problem, simply tell security that it is not an Airbnb rental, I am her friend, staying at her condo for free and no money involved. And that way there is nothing they can do.

if some one has a friend coming to Thailand to visit, is it against the law to let them stay in your condo or apartment while visiting you?

On my last Airbnb rental, the landlord told me that if there was a problem, simply tell security that it is not an Airbnb rental, I am her friend, staying at her condo for free and no money involved. And that way there is nothing they can do.
if some one has a friend coming to Thailand to visit, is it against the law to let them stay in your condo or apartment while visiting you?
The problem is never really the law but rather the enforcement of the law.

1 hour ago, weblo said:

If the renter is able/willing to lie that they are staying for more than a month, say six weeks for instance, then I can't see there being much of a practical problem, and where the Chinese in The Base are staying at condos owned by other Chinese with whom they have an "understanding", that'll see off the enforcement of sub 30 day rentals issue.  If the renter can/is willing to cooperate to avoid a problem, there won't be one.

Its only full-on commercial arrangements where the renter is unwilling to lie that present a problem, I guess. 

But then another angle of attack for enforcers, rather than security men checking on the front gate, would be simply to log onto the AirBnB website and quickly get a list of the dozens of The Base condos listed on that.

2 hours ago, weblo said:

i heard that as well. but the problem arises when they ask u the name of your friend. i had no idea. haha

i heard that as well. but the problem arises when they ask u the name of your friend. i had no idea. haha
the host maybe...

1 hour ago, hioctane said:
1 hour ago, jsmithj88 said:

the host maybe...

right. the rules have changed in the last year or two. i didnt need to check in with anybody previously 

right. the rules have changed in the last year or two. i didnt need to check in with anybody previously 
You still don't. If they ask, give your host's name as your "friend."

This is not a new law. The hotel Act has been around since 2008. It only became an issue recently because they started to ENFORCE the law on guesthouses.

8 hours ago, hioctane said:

Exactly. I am at City Garden now. I get a keyfob that I zap in and out with. Security hardly talks to me and never checks ID like at The Base.

The base never checks id. If u china yes

The base never checks id. If u china yes
By checking ID, I meant your keycard.

3 hours ago, jsmithj88 said:

Make up a name!  The security guys won't have any idea either!

Archived