Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

10PM Update: Soccer Team still trapped in flooded cave, search suspended due to rising waters, believed still alive

The Pattaya News

Hope they can be found. I read an early report that they had been located, but could not be reached. Cant remember where I read it. This was a few days ago. Clearly that source was innacurate.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Vessey said:

Just have to hope that the Thai authorities are open to whatever international help is offered - not as obvious as it sounds - Thai loss of face etc.

If that does is indeed end up being a factor here, well...........i`d be totally lost for words, its would be fair to say it would be pathetic and shameful, of course it might not be a factor in any rescue attempt, its just the hint that its possible thats ridiculous.

from what I understand there are Cave divers enroute from the UK ( I saw a Police tweet from the UK advising of a hand off to another force of a team enroute)  I have also seen reports of US Navy divers being sent but cannot confirm that as the Thai Navy also have SEALS on site.

26 minutes ago, golden_boy said:

Hope they can be found. I read an early report that they had been located, but could not be reached. Cant remember where I read it. This was a few days ago. Clearly that source was innacurate.

i reckon they will be found next few hours, funny how in a world gone tits up..we still react to human drama ...cos there just kids.

1 hour ago, vimto66 said:

If that does is indeed end up being a factor here, well...........i`d be totally lost for words, its would be fair to say it would be pathetic and shameful, of course it might not be a factor in any rescue attempt, its just the hint that its possible thats ridiculous.

On a different note the Russians had a submarine stranded but chose to keep it quiet until it was too late. There were international ships that could have helped lifting the damn thing!  

Thai authorities are always right, I’m wrong! 

28 minutes ago, william77 said:

On a different note the Russians had a submarine stranded but chose to keep it quiet until it was too late. There were international ships that could have helped lifting the damn thing!  

Thai authorities are always right, I’m wrong! 

Think i remember that, i suppose with the military countries like to keep things close to their chest for a multitude reasons, still seems silly though when lives are at risk!

10 hours ago, Fraxb said:

Personally think it will end well. Just a matter of finding them. 3 weeks no food and id start to worry. They certainly have access to water. No doubt there just holed up somewhere waiting. I read somewhere that the temp in the cave isnt too bad.

Im surprised they havent located them yet. Surely with todays tecnology and diving equipment they couldve scoured the cave by now? 

Not sure how warm the caves supposedly are but if they are all wet they will have issues for sure retaining core body temperature, dark, very cold and wet is the conditions is my guess. They will be huddled all together to fight the cold i am sure. Rescue needs to come quick..finding them is part of it, extracting them another. No doubt gear will be shifted to them quickly once located first and foremost. Let's hope for the best. Certainly the Thai authorities are taking assistance from all corners, regardless of nationality, and that was pretty much from the off, drafting in some foreign divers who were in Thailand.

Updates since yesterday afternoon on chiangmaicitylife.com

4.5 days already! :unsure:

At 6.30pm Wednesday, the team from the UK arrived in Thailand ready to help the 13 stuck in the Cave.

At 6.45pm Wednesday, the official Facebook page of the Thai Navy SEALS announces that any news suggesting that the rescue workers have found the missing teenagers and coach are FAKE NEWS and as of this time, the group has yet to be found. The added that until the water reduces in depth in the Cave, they diving teams must halt operation for safety reasons.

At 7.15pm Wednesday, reports from MCOT say that the land around the Cave is now full of saturated clay, making the extraction of water even more difficult, along with making it harder for rescue teams and vehicles to move around. However, in more positive news, the water that was once up to the ceiling of much of the Cave has now dropped by roughly 30cm thanks to the water pumping effort. The water inside the Cave is very brown, and impossible to see through, so Navy SEALS are struggling to make it any further into the Cave at this point. The route to the next area is also very narrow now due to natural debris, requiring divers to have smaller gas tanks to fit through, resulting in much less time allowed underwater.

At 8.14pm Wednesday, MCOT reported that the one of the divers in the Derbyshire Cave Rescue Organisation (UK) is recognised as the best Cave diver in the entire world. At the same time, 13 individual ambulances and medical teams were put on standby at the Cave entrance in the possibility of finding the group this evening.

At 11.35pm Wednesday, MCOT shared posts from a 13-strong Cave rescue team from the Philippines allegedly claim they are having problems with visas to enter Thailand and are currently being refused due to lack of certificates and paperwork.

At 11.45pm Wednesday, another team of rescue divers enter the Cave along with support from the Cave Rescue Team from the United Kingdom.

THURSDAY 28th June 2018

At 7am Thursday, both the Thai Navy SEALS and dive rescue teams have pulled out of the Cave as a night of non-stop heavy rainfall causing the Cave to almost completely fill with water. Water pumps have also been turned off due to safety resasons and because they failed to combat the rising water levels. At 9am this morning a meeting will be held to discuss a new course of action. Correction: The order to pull out of the Cave came at between 2am and 3am this morning.

At 7.40pm Thursday, news sources confirmed that a heat source photo image of inside the Cave is NOT of the missing teenagers and coach but a trial image from another part of the cage. Authorities have yet to find the group.

At 10.30am Thursday, The United States Pacific Command (USPACOM) search and rescue team has arrived at Tham Luang to help in the search. A statement by the United States Embassy Media and Culture Office Thailand stated that “The United States is particularly concerned about the missing teen footballers and their coach in the Tham Luang Cave, Northern Thailand. The US Pacific Command (USPACOM) has sent search and rescue teams to help find the missing persons upon the Thai Government’s request.”

At 11.40am Thursday, Maj. Gen. Virachai Songmetta, Deputy Chief of Staff, announced he would lead a rescue squad of 132 personnel to search areas outside the Cave in the hope of finding another hole or entry point into the Cave. A number of sniffer dogs will also join the search.

Unless I'm missing something , they report the Cave is in Chiang Mai but then in one of the earlier reports  it mentions the Cave opening  at Pattaya Beach? If that's the case it must be bloody a long Cave?

At 12am Wednesday, authorities said that the hole discovered on the mountain above the Cave (above the Pattaya Beach section of the cave) was only 5 metres deep before it became too small and mostly blocked, meaning that it could not be used as a rescue or communication route.

Do they know whether the teens are still alive?

What a nightmare for the parents

12 Pints in Know it all

8 minutes ago, Mr Wombat said:

I don't think they know for sure, from what I have read they are hoping that the boys are located in a high part of the Cave system that apparently does not flood. 

7 hours ago, Harry Brown said:

Unless I'm missing something , they report the cave is in Chiang Mai but then in one of the earlier reports  it mentions the cave opening  at Pattaya Beach? If that's the case it must be bloody a long cave?

There are at least 3 big "lakes" inside these caves,

and apparently one side of the first lake has been surnamed "Pattaya Beach" :wink:

It's near the green point on this BangkokPost picture :

2824106.jpg

7 hours ago, Mr Wombat said:

Nobody knows, but history showed that as long as there are no bodies found, there is hope.

It's Thailand; rain water and the inside of the caves is not too cold; they don't have food anymore but it's not a big problem as the important thing is that they have water to drink. The main chambers are big enough for air to not be a problem either. According to those who know this Cave, the big chamber where they suppose that the team found refuge can't be fully flooded. So they may just be waiting for rescuers...

Last news from chiangmaicitylife.com:

At 1.30pm Thursday, the rain has stopped and then sun is out and the first signs of water evaporation are being noticed. This is a good sign for rescue teams. :)

At 3pm Thursday, the team of British Cave search and rescue workers exited the Cave, still unable to reach the missing 13. They have told the press that due to the thick, saturated water and strong currents, it was too dangerous to proceed any further at this time.

There are several media reports that a potential entrance to the area that the group is expected to be has been found on the mountain top. National media have referred to this as the ‘Martin Chimney’ (possibly after the person who found it) and some reports claim that teams are planning to bore through this area to access the Pattaya Beach section of the Cave. CityNews cannot confirm this claim as an official mentioned yesterday that there was no way to drill into the Cave at that time.

12 minutes ago, Oukiva said:

There are at least 2 big "lakes" inside these caves,

and apparently on side of the first lake has been surnamed "Pattaya Beach" :wink:

It's near the green point on this BangkokPost picture :

Thanks for the explanation.

1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

Last news: At 1.30pm Thursday, the rain has stopped and then sun is out and the first signs of water evaporation are being noticed. This is a good sign for rescue teams. :)

Great news! 

Got to be horrific for anyone to experience , never mind young kids.

Im not religious but pray theyr,e rescued one and all.

3 hours ago, william77 said:

Great news! 

My wife has close links to this area, her village is very near. I am almost certain that she will know some of these poor souls. She has also sponsored a junior football team but I am not sure if it was these kids. God help them all. There are a lot of people in the UK watching this very closely.

9 minutes ago, KINGFISHER said:

My wife has close links to this area, her village is very near. I am almost certain that she will know some of these poor souls. She has also sponsored a junior football team but I am not sure if it was these kids. God help them all. There are a lot of people in the UK watching this very closely.

It’s just terrible, but I’m glad this has International attention. Let’s pray for a swift resolve. 

1 hour ago, william77 said:

It’s just terrible, but I’m glad this has International attention. Let’s pray for a swift resolve. 

I do not know if you know the area but my wife's village is on route 118 Chiangrai to Chiangmai. Not sure how you spell it but I 'll give it a try. Baan hoy san yow.

At 6pm Thursday, the rain began falling hard again :sad:, again hampering rescue efforts as the Cave began to flood again.

At 7.30pm Thursday, reports have been confirmed that the rescue team are trying to dig into the Cave through the wall, although it appears to be a different location to that of ‘Martin’s Chimney’. The rain has stopped and the digging has begun. According to MCOT, the digging is not to get to the missing 13 but to be able to put in new water pumps that will help pump the water out of the Cave at a much faster rate.

The teenagers and their coach have now been stuck inside the Cave for 124 hours:wacko:

36311766_1707521132694683_12342629281531

Also this UK website that seems to follow well this event:

Thailand Cave rescue news LIVE:

Updates form Tham Luang as US and British teams join search for 12 missing boys :

standard.co.uk

1 hour ago, Oukiva said:

At 6pm Thursday, the rain began falling hard again :sad:, again hampering rescue efforts as the cave began to flood again.

At 7.30pm Thursday, reports have been confirmed that the rescue team are trying to dig into the cave through the wall, although it appears to be a different location to that of ‘Martin’s Chimney’. The rain has stopped and the digging has begun. According to MCOT, the digging is not to get to the missing 13 but to be able to put in new water pumps that will help pump the water out of the cave at a much faster rate.

The teenagers and their coach have now been stuck inside the cave for 124 hours:wacko:

36311766_1707521132694683_12342629281531

Also this UK website that seems to follow well this event:

Thailand cave rescue news LIVE:

Updates form Tham Luang as US and British teams join search for 12 missing boys :

standard.co.uk

I appreciate these updates. Pls keep’em coming my man!! 

God bless 

At 10.30pm Thursday, five more large scale water pumps were put into the Cave in order to pump more water out of the are between the entrance and the 2nd large Cave hall.

At 11pm Thursday, Thai Navy SEALS told the press that they hoped that the water continued to go down, despite the continual downpour from the skies. A photo was shared by Rungrot Kongpiban that shows a makeshift depth measure with a rescue worker pointing at the current depth of the water, which is up to his waist.

chiangmaicitylife.com Friday news should start soon. Now 8AM in Thailand.

FRIDAY 29th June 2018

At 2am Friday, a Facebook user by the name of Kachamas Yungtikul posted a video showing the challenges that the drilling has faced from the authorities. The video shows one of the rescue team managers being questioned by Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner Pol General Srivara Rangsibrahmanakul on whether they had asked permission or been granted permission for drilling into the Cave by the Department of National Parks, Wildlife Plant Conservation yet. It is interesting to note that this is the same police officer who also dropped all the charges against Premchai Karnasuta in the black panther hunting case earlier this year. It is unclear whether this police officer has authority over this matter or is just issuing a warning.

At 5am Friday, The Bangkok Post publishes a detailed article describing the new plans put in place by the team of British Cave search and rescue divers. The new plans look at turning right at the cross roads, rather than left, in order to either find the boys who may have headed towards an area called Monk’s Series rather than the exit as they were lost.

The article states that “Pol Gen Wirachai said residents told him there is a chamber lying in the north of the Cave. It is as high as 60 metres and 20 metres wide. This location has become a new focal point of attention because a Cave chamber may have a ceiling crevice.”

The report also mentioned that the drilling into the side of the Cave is still under way, following electromagnetic waves that examined the rock structures, and will take roughly a day to bore through 100m to reach the inside. Once a pathway has been made, they will put glow sticks and recording devices to explore the inside of the Cave.

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha will also visit the rescue site in a show of moral support for the 13 trapped in the flooded Cave.

Edit: Here is the BangkokPost article mentioned above.

Last news from standard.co.uk :

~4AM: What we know so far:
Rescuers have punched a hole into the side of a mountain in a desperate attempt to drain rising water from the flooded Cave where 12 boys and their soccer coach have been missing for five days.
The effort appeared unsuccessful and the situation remained dire, with no guarantee that the water will soon recede - with months left in Thailand's rainy season.
Divers have been unable to navigate passages filled with muddy water, and rescuers are seeking alternative ways of entering the sprawling Cave.
They hope to find hidden shafts in the mountain that might offer a back door into the caverns.
Deputy national police chief Wirachai Songmetta said he will join more than 600 people combing the mountain for possible cracks
~3AM: More than 600 officers combing mountain

Deputy national police chief Wirachai Songmetta said he will join more than 600 people combing the mountain for possible cracks.
A few shafts that were found were ruled out, but Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said rescuers are still looking at three locations.
They will explore further with the geological department using equipment such as small cameras, he said. 

Thanks for the updates  Oukiva. Appreciated.

Just hope the rain can hold off long enough for the divers to gain access.

Maybe they could use tis as a lessen and prepare for a similar event like this again? 

Maybe they could have the high ground  in the parts of the Cave where it does not flood marked and sign posted so people know which way to go in case of a flood.

Maybe drill an emergency access tunnel to those high points along the tunnel with ladders for future use if the same happens again?

Possible set up a pump system with permanent piping in place so if need it is ready to go.

Also they could string a permanent cable all the way along the Cave so then divers would be able to just hang on or clip on to that cable and they could follow it to the high points especially when it is so muddy and visibility is zero?

IF they are in a dry air pocket and IF they can stay above the water,IF they have decent warm enough clothes, they can get water to drink they can survive for many days yet.  Just hope that they are OK.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Archived