Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Any good buffet restaurants?

22 hours ago, Eiahhh said:

You guys got any good recommendations for a good buffet type of restaurant?  money is not the focus here, but quality is!

You might enjoy the weekend lunch buffet at Akvavit in Jomtien.

Saturday & Sunday, noon-4pm, 299 baht.

http://www.akvavitjomtien.com/latest-news/118-weekend-lunch-buffet-299-baht.html

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eiahhh, What's your budget?  The question is kinda meaningless until you give that, and the answers you get will be all over the place.  You can spend B2000 on a buffet or you can spend B139, and in both cases the food will be fresh with a nice selection.

5 minutes ago, SirL said:

Eiahhh, What's your budget?  The question is kinda meaningless until you give that, and the answers you get will be all over the place.  You can spend B2000 on a buffet or you can spend B139, and in both cases the food will be fresh with a nice selection.

Lets just say B1500 max and go from there

54 minutes ago, Eiahhh said:

Lets just say B1500 max and go from there

That covers just about everything so it's not very helpful.

The problem is that the majority of buffets that people might recommend will be in the B250-400 sort of area, but if people do recommend those sort of buffets, other people will jump on to write "The guy asks for a money no object, good buffet..... and [XYZ] is the recommendation? LOL".  If you don't specify a tighter price area, almost any recommendation will be trumped by someone saying a B1500 buffet is better since money no object.

Hilton is a nice location but had lunch there last time and spent the whole time thinking how Sizzler was better value, maybe it’s just me. 

The Cherry restaurant on 3rd RD has dinner buffets with a different theme each night, cost around 450 baht plus dirinks.

1 hour ago, SirL said:

That covers just about everything so it's not very helpful.

The problem is that the majority of buffets that people might recommend will be in the B250-400 sort of area, but if people do recommend those sort of buffets, other people will jump on to write "The guy asks for a money no object, good buffet..... and [XYZ] is the recommendation? LOL".  If you don't specify a tighter price area, almost any recommendation will be trumped by someone saying a B1500 buffet is better since money no object.

yeah yeah yeah... The point from the original post still stands.. Its not about the money, its about the quality of the food..  Expensive doesn't allways mean good. Cheap food can be fantastic... I'm just after a good buffet style restaurant.. You don't even have to quote the price.. Just give an honest recommendation or review. Thanks for the input 

8 minutes ago, usexpat46 said:

The Cherry restaurant on 3rd RD has dinner buffets with a different theme each night, cost around 450 baht plus dirinks.

noted, thanks

9 hours ago, usexpat46 said:

Correct 450 for the buffet, 350 for the room, a couple drinks for yourself and 1 LD and you're over 1100, so 450 baht is deducted from your bin.

Ah. When I go out for a meal I want a meal and possibly a drink or two with it.

I dont want a room or a barfine, nor do I want any Thai company while I'm eating. Cant think of anything worse in fact!

1 hour ago, nzwolfgang said:

Hilton is a nice location but had lunch there last time and spent the whole time thinking how Sizzler was better value, maybe it’s just me. 

The Hilton used to be much better quality, and much better value. Over the years since it opened the price has doubled and the quality has been significantly reduced. Their evening buffet is better but costs twice the price and is still poor value compared to many places in Bangkok.

20 hours ago, Proffesor said:

If it is a predominantly Thai food buffet that you are looking for, then NaiPor on Pattaya Nua, diagonally opposite the main bus station entrance, takes pride of place.

My taste in Thai / Asian food is limited; I don't do highly spiced, I don't do anything "out of the ordinary" - by European standards, but I never go away hungry. There is usually a vast array of starters, which invariably include a selection of :-  soup, chicken wings, nuggets, fish bites, spaghetti with both pork & beef bolognaise sauces, filo prawns etc. Then there is a bar-b-q station with a selection of sea food etc - a "do it yourself" facility. Also a manned grill station where you can ask for grilled fish, meats etc. These in addition to the cook stations built-in to most of the tables.

Please, give it a go, and report back !

Did some research on this place. Looks solid and the tripadvisor reviews are great.. I'm going :D

I think for food quality I would head to the Royal Cliff on Saturday. Around 1700B. The Intercontinental next door isnt bad either, for a few hundred less.

In Naklua/Wong Amat there are several hotel buffets all offering similar quality for around the same price. Cape Dara, Centara, Pullman etc.

Near Klang/2nd Road there is the Imperial which charges about 1000B on Saturday.

Siam@siam does food + free-flow box wine for around 1000B every night, but the food is not what it used to be.

The Dusit does buffets which are good.

The Amari has been mentioned. Overpriced at 2000B.

All those places do the usual seafood, Japanese station, BBQ station, pasta, desserts etc but without knowing what style of food is wanted it is impossible to give a sensible recommendation.

There are also three dimsum lunchtime buffets: Dusit, Imperial and Cape Dara, but you really need to be in a group for that as the food is prepared to order.

For non-hotel buffets, Oishi in The Avenue is a step up from the usual hotpot places. Around 600B.

All Seasons in Central and Harbor Mall has several nice dishes for around 300B, though some of the items are not to my taste at all.

Central has many other hotpot or Japanese style buffets. You have to try them to know if you like them. All around 300-400B.

There are dozens of open-air Thai Moo Gata places around town. Mostly very similar to each other. 200-300B for a basic selection and an extra 200B for better ingredients. Most of them apply many extra charges which annoys me.

Cherries has been mentioned. Not as good as it used to be, but not bad for 450B.

Various places do a small buffet for 200-300B. There's a sort of Scandinavian one at Akvavit in Jomtien at weekends, and there was another at the News which may no longer be functioning. The Sportsman does pizza and pasta and salad on Fridays for 250B.

There's an Italian buffet once a week for 399B just opposite Kiss in Jomtien, near the corner of Soi 5. Authentic ingredients.

21 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

When I go out for a meal I want a meal and possibly a drink or two with it.

On the subject of drinks with a meal, cheap charlies should note that the drinks are where the restaurant makes their profit, the food often being sold close to breakeven.  The food is the headline that draws the punters in for a low price, who then drink the restaurant into profit.  As the owner of Retox wrote this morning on FB:

5ad3411fde959_Retoxprofits.jpg.67db5765a1f77d8d86751a6f8aef0aeb.jpg

Cheap charlies should avoid drinks with their food, and then drink later in girlie bars where there's "entertainment" on your lap....

36 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Ah. When I go out for a meal I want a meal and possibly a drink or two with it.

I dont want a room or a barfine, nor do I want any Thai company while I'm eating. Cant think of anything worse in fact!

I've never had any Thai company when I've eaten there, just other like minded falang friends to chat with.  We go there for good sex and a very good free meal afterwards.

KK, 

Other notable buffets you don't mention include:

Casa Pascal (the OP didn't exclude breakfasts)

Sportsman sunday roast (nor did he exclude sunday roasts)

Tsunami Sushi Buffet (which I prefer over Oishi, but is it a buffet?)

Globetrotter monthly Swedish smorgasbord http://www.globetrotter-thai.com/Article/Globetrotter-Restaurant-68282

Beefeater Tex-Mex weekend buffet

La Bocca italian buffets

8 minutes ago, SirL said:

On the subject of drinks with a meal, cheap charlies should note that the drinks are where the restaurant makes their profit, the food often being sold close to breakeven. 

Certainly they make more money more easily out of drinks. Just look at PizzaPizza which does a very nice pizza for 79B but charges 99 for a beer. Still good value taken as a whole though. But I dont think that restaurants here are as close to break-even on meals as those two posts would suggest.

I do a lot of cooking at home and I know what the prices are. I can easily make a single Sunday roast with all the trimmings for 60B in ingredients, and this is the sort of thing that restaurants sell for 150-200B. I could cite other similar examples. Even a bowl of noodles at 40B shows a decent profit margin. OK, they do have other costs on top but even so, life is not as bad as some people make out.

If anything kills businesses in Pattaya it is high rents (particular rents that increase astronomically at the end of the first lease) and poor customer service.

27 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I think for food quality I would head to the Royal Cliff on Saturday. Around 1700B. The Intercontinental next door isnt bad either, for a few hundred less.

In Naklua/Wong Amat there are several hotel buffets all offering similar quality for around the same price. Cape Dara, Centara, Pullman etc.

Near Klang/2nd Road there is the Imperial which charges about 1000B on Saturday.

Siam@siam does food + free-flow box wine for around 1000B every night, but the food is not what it used to be.

The Dusit does buffets which are good.

The Amari has been mentioned. Overpriced at 2000B.

All those places do the usual seafood, Japanese station, BBQ station, pasta, desserts etc but without knowing what style of food is wanted it is impossible to give a sensible recommendation.

There are also three dimsum lunchtime buffets: Dusit, Imperial and Cape Dara, but you really need to be in a group for that as the food is prepared to order.

For non-hotel buffets, Oishi in The Avenue is a step up from the usual hotpot places. Around 600B.

All Seasons in Central and Harbor Mall has several nice dishes for around 300B, though some of the items are not to my taste at all.

Central has many other hotpot or Japanese style buffets. You have to try them to know if you like them. All around 300-400B.

There are dozens of open-air Thai Moo Gata places around town. Mostly very similar to each other. 200-300B for a basic selection and an extra 200B for better ingredients. Most of them apply many extra charges which annoys me.

Cherries has been mentioned. Not as good as it used to be, but not bad for 450B.

Various places do a small buffet for 200-300B. There's a sort of Scandinavian one at Akvavit in Jomtien at weekends, and there was another at the News which may no longer be functioning. The Sportsman does pizza and pasta and salad on Fridays for 250B.

There's an Italian buffet once a week for 399B just opposite Kiss in Jomtien, near the corner of Soi 5. Authentic ingredients.

You know your stuff.. This is  really helpful. thank you

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I dont think that restaurants here are as close to break-even on meals as those two posts would suggest........ they do have other costs on top but even so, life is not as bad as some people make out.

Neither of us know the detailed numbers, but my impression is that it is indeed very difficult to make a profit on a Pattaya restaurant, after rents and staff costs.  We'll agree to differ on that.  If a well-reviewed restaurant like Great American Sandwich Co closes, then things must be tight.

2 minutes ago, SirL said:

Other notable buffets you don't mention include:

Casa Pascal (the OP didn't exclude breakfasts)

Sportsman sunday roast (nor did he exclude sunday roasts)

Tsunami Sushi Buffet (which I prefer over Oishi, but is it a buffet?)

Globetrotter monthly Swedish smorgasbord http://www.globetrotter-thai.com/Article/Globetrotter-Restaurant-68282

Beefeater Tex-Mex weekend buffet

La Bocca italian buffets

Absolutely. I wasnt trying to give a definitive list.

Casa Pascal is fine and good value. In fact it is a good example of how to earn money from food rather than drinks. I go regularly.

Sunday. Yes, the Sunday carvery is alive and well at several places here. Personally the last time I tried it I found the Sportsman's was tired and not worth the money. Other places are better and cheaper. Robin Hood for one and Robin's Nest for another.

Tsunami is indeed good but a very different style to Oishi. It counts as a buffet in the same way as the dimsum buffets do: nothing is displayed and you have to order the dishes for one inclusive price. So again I find it more suitable for groups.

Never heard of Globetrotter. They certainly dont go out of their way to publicise it! I will try it if I can find out when it is next on. Thanks for that.

Tex-Mex. Not my cup of tea at all but I know that it is popular.

La Bocca. Didnt know they did Italian buffets. The only thing I have seen advertised there was all you can eat pizza in the afternoons in low season only.

Anyone try those buffets where you cook the food yourself on the the "hotplate thingy" on the table? seems kind of hard if you dont know what your doing (which i don't).. Maybe bring some thai company?

3 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Personally the last time I tried it I found the Sportsman's was tired and not worth the money. Other places are better and cheaper. Robin Hood for one and Robin's Nest for another.

La Bocca. Didnt know they did Italian buffets. The only thing I have seen advertised there was all you can eat pizza in the afternoons in low season only.

Surely you can't prefer the Robin's Nest sunday roast over Sportsman's?  I'm not a fan of Robin Hood, as you know.

La Bocca (and it's a good one):

5ad349503b53d_lab.jpg.826c333ab609fc782509730cd376d6b2.jpg

1 minute ago, Eiahhh said:

Anyone try those buffets where you cook the food yourself on the the "hotplate thingy" on the table? seems kind of hard if you dont know what your doing (which i don't).. Maybe bring some thai company?

These are the Moo Gata places I mentioned. There are hotplate ones and hotpot (soup) ones. You can find both types in Central (with air-con) and all over town in the open-air.

Thais love them and any Thai companion will do your cooking for you, though if you can make toast it really isnt hard. I find that you can end up with one all-pervading flavour to every dish though.

1 minute ago, SirL said:

Surely you can't prefer the Robin's Nest sunday roast over Sportsman's?  I'm not a fan of Robin Hood, as you know.

I think the Sportsman was 425B when I went, maybe more. That's almost £10. I can get a better carvery for less in the UK. The food really was not very good: it had been hanging around for some time and some dishes were cold or empty, though I was not there late in the evening. And they wanted to charge extra for a couple of slices of lamb. It just wasnt worth it as  far as I'm concerned.

Robin's Nest was over 100B cheaper and all the dishes were hot and full, so yes I would prefer that even though not all the types of meat were very good there. The rest was fine.

But I dont go to either of those regularly: my Sunday regular is Robin Hood where I get the small plate for 199B (or less with discount). It suits me fine and I have never been disappointed by that meal there (that comment does not apply to other menu items). It's always packed on Sunday, which must be some sort of sign.

10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Casa Pascal is fine and good value. In fact it is a good example of how to earn money from food rather than drinks. I go regularly.

We don't have any evidence that CP do make money from their buffet breakfast.  CP is primarily an upmarket evening restaurant appealing to price insensitive quality diners - that's where they make their money.  The breakfast is just a way of earning a bit of money from the otherwise unused dining room.  If the breakfast service netted a third of the rent after food and staff cost, that's worth doing but it's not in profit by any reasonable definition. 

I think that the point of the baht buster breakfast at Retox is not as a stand-alone profit centre, but more just to establish R's reputation for cheap volume, which benefits it for evening and sports event drinking.

Archived