IGNORED

Qatar Airways - review

PR1977

1 minute ago, semi-retired member said:

I think it's perhaps more connected with being on a flight to the USA, with higher security-requirements from the DHS, like the recent  laptop-ban which has now been removed after a security-upgrade at Doha ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/qatar-airways-becomes-fourth-airline-to-be-granted-us-laptop-ban-exemption.html

98% sure it was because the flight was to the USA (especially since my outbound connection had no such security check).

Laptop ban had been lifted months before then, so it was not because of that.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 14/01/2018 at 19:41, taylor1975 said:

qatar seem to have introduced random carry-on bag checks, when you get to your departing gate at doha. Drug swabs, body search etc.

typically, a black UK guy made a right scene as he assumed some discrimination :rolleyes:

...then realised he was just the first of many to be checked. Embarrassing.

I nearly came a cropper with this last year, the call went out for priority members to board so I walked up and joined the queue, the security points at me and in a very aggressive tone shouts "YOU!!", thinking her was just checking my ticket I offers it to him, he then says "NO, BAG", I handed him my bag and realised I had a strip of codeine tablets in there that weren't in their box, I thought "this could go very bad very quickly", he swabbed the back of my haversack (where it touches my back) and put it in machine, luckily it didn't detect anything. Clearly disappointed he gave me my bag back and I asked if I could go through and the POS says "No, back of the line". Luckily one of the airside crew sees this and flags me over and lifts the rope for me.

Lesson learnt.

1 hour ago, Welbeck said:

I nearly came a cropper with this last year, the call went out for priority members to board so I walked up and joined the queue, the security points at me and in a very aggressive tone shouts "YOU!!", thinking her was just checking my ticket I offers it to him, he then says "NO, BAG", I handed him my bag and realised I had a strip of codeine tablets in there that weren't in their box, I thought "this could go very bad very quickly", he swabbed the back of my haversack (where it touches my back) and put it in machine, luckily it didn't detect anything. Clearly disappointed he gave me my bag back and I asked if I could go through and the POS says "No, back of the line". Luckily one of the airside crew sees this and flags me over and lifts the rope for me.

Lesson learnt.

The staff that i saw doing the swabs was a young woman and a guy that looked barely out of his teens. Very polite and un-intimidating, whilst the guy was swearing at them. I thought they would call security and get him kicked off.

Easy to forget when you're transiting, but you're still in the middle east and their rules can be different.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a business trip to Mumbai (from UK) and travelled Qatar B.

I got my back searched, had to switch laptops and phones on. I have personal and business of each. Then drugs swab. All very polite and no issues.

Yes the new business lounge is open but I don't like the layout compared to the old temporary terminal, why burn space with a big fish pond - may be I can't appreciate the artistic message.

Still my favourite airline by a mile.

Oh sorry, just realised you were asking about the lounge at BKK - I replied about in Doha.

On 13/02/2018 at 13:37, jimboh said:

Yes, was asking about the new lounge in BKK??

Reports & reviews of the new lounge here  ...

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-club/1892711-bangkok-bkk-new-lounge.html

Whatever the lounge is like it has GOT to be better than the Thai Biz lounge at BKK. :Oops1:

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

For info:

Qatar Airways passengers upgrading their flight using Privilege Club QMiles will no longer receive the lounge access associated with the upgraded cabin, under a new rule announced by the carrier.

This page on the QMiles redemption section of the airline’s website confirms that “Effective February 5, 2018, baggage allowance and lounge access will be provided as per originally ticketed cabin”.

It means that, unless the customer is eligible for lounge access through their loyalty tier status, an economy passenger upgrading to business class will no longer receive access to Qatar Airways’ business class lounges worldwide.

Equally a traveller upgrading from business to first class will no longer gain access to the carrier’s first class lounges, including the exclusive Al Safwa facility in Doha.

24 minutes ago, davidge said:

For info:

Qatar Airways passengers upgrading their flight using Privilege Club QMiles will no longer receive the lounge access associated with the upgraded cabin, under a new rule announced by the carrier.

This page on the QMiles redemption section of the airline’s website confirms that “Effective February 5, 2018, baggage allowance and lounge access will be provided as per originally ticketed cabin”.

It means that, unless the customer is eligible for lounge access through their loyalty tier status, an economy passenger upgrading to business class will no longer receive access to Qatar Airways’ business class lounges worldwide.

Equally a traveller upgrading from business to first class will no longer gain access to the carrier’s first class lounges, including the exclusive Al Safwa facility in Doha.

They have a Business Class lounge and a First Class lounge?

13 minutes ago, Gaztop08 said:

They have a Business Class lounge and a First Class lounge?

They have First Class on some routes (think those using A380) so will have First Class lounges at some airports, I assume. 

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to book a return flight from UTP to London for end of the year. No problem going out in Sep but unable to book returning early Dec???

Trying to decide between Emirates or Qatar from dublin.  How do the entertainments package compare 

5 hours ago, tobeornottobe said:

Trying to decide between Emirates or Qatar from dublin.  How do the entertainments package compare 

You're not buying a subscription to Sky :P

22 hours ago, jimboh said:

I tried to book a return flight from UTP to London for end of the year. No problem going out in Sep but unable to book returning early Dec???

They may be revising the schedule. Personally I doubt that they get enough passengers to make it viable.

• 10 months later...
On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 07:10, PR1977 said:

I definitely went through scanners twice....but it was a very quick process. Virtually no queues and very efficient; they must have had at least 20 lanes open and 100 staff or more.

I am considering Qater through Doha, my connecting flight would be in 1 hour 20 minutes, do you think that I might be cutting it to  close

1 hour ago, robert said:

I am considering Qater through Doha, my connecting flight would be in 1 hour 20 minutes, do you think that I might be cutting it to  close

Connecting to or from USA?

I flew through Doha to/from Azerbaijan for business a few years ago.  Going there was not a big deal (although Doha is a pretty damn big airport), but coming back to the USA, there was a gate check that took FOREVER to clear.  Complete clusterfuck.

2 hours ago, robert said:

A better question is whose responsibility is it to get you on that flight.

I had the same stopover time and literally off the plane walking to next plane and lady was there saying hurry as plane is waiting,got on ,belted up and off we went. So don't hang around,and my bags did get on the plane as well . It's a great airline by the way 

6 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Connecting to or from USA?

I flew through Doha to/from Azerbaijan for business a few years ago.  Going there was not a big deal (although Doha is a pretty damn big airport), but coming back to the USA, there was a gate check that took FOREVER to clear.  Complete clusterfuck.

From USA to Doha then on to Bangkok, the return flight seems okay with a 3 hour layover

6 hours ago, james 71 said:

I had the same stopover time and literally off the plane walking to next plane and lady was there saying hurry as plane is waiting,got on ,belted up and off we went. So don't hang around,and my bags did get on the plane as well . It's a great airline by the way 

Thanks I appreciate it

8 hours ago, robert said:

The quickest turn around I had at Doha was 45mins and the plane I was arriving on was delayed by 15 mins , luckily they were both Qatar airways and was rushed through

When I booked the flights through Qatar website I did ask about the 45mins but they said it ok 

1 minute ago, Decrue said:

The quickest turn around I had at Doha was 45mins and the plane I was arriving on was delayed by 15 mins , luckily they were both Qatar airways and was rushed through

When I booked the flights through Qatar website I did ask about the 45mins but they said it ok 

Thanks, both of my flights are on Qatar thus I would think that they would hold it for awhile

Archived