Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Qatar Airways - review

PR1977

Flew this carrier over Xmas and New Year DUB-DOH-BKK return in economy.

Online check in and bag drop very efficient, in fact at both check ins little or no queues, in Swampy Qatar have a full bank of check in desks the whole breadth of the concourse. No extra cost to choose standard seats. Offered biz class upgrade to DOH for €670 but declined. Mobile app is good and updates during the pre check in to boarding process. Boarding very well done, boarding groups laid out in the waiting area and little or no delay from closing doors to pushback to take off.

787 to and from Doha, fantastic flying experience, very quiet, the large windows with no blinds and electronic lighting control are very innovative; Qatar have spaciously and comfortably fitted the cabin out in 3-3-3; toilets also modern, roomy and clean with plenty of toiletries etc. My first time on the Dreamliner and I think it trumps its A350 rival as the smoothest ride in the sky.  A380 DOH - BKK good also, no toilets at the front though and 777 BKK-DOH its usual workhorse self of the long haul routes, 3-4-3 configuration but got a seat at the back where its 3-3-3 due to fuselage narrowing.

Food very good, as good as anything I've ever had in economy class, tasty, well cooked and well presented. A meal after take off  (3 standard choices including veggie - or pre order a special) and a snack prior to landing provided on each flight (all were around 7 hours). Complimentary drinks available - soft and alcoholic - throughout the flight.  Inflight entertainment just ok, selection of movies, tv, docus, music and games not too extensive but reasonable enough,  I was pleasantly surprised to see the original series of Blackadder hidden away in amongst all the generic American garbage comedy - classic scene below (applicable to PA I think!) had me in tears on the plane. Free WIFI throughout the 787 flights. Standard map, cameras and geographical locators on all planes (no tailcam on 787 though, only a minor inconvenience).

The attendants are very well trained, polite and helpful; they are very particular in the way they address you  - it feels as if you have more time with them and they are more attentive specifically towards you compared to other airlines.  Bar and food service is provided in each section of the plane by only one attendant which makes the service feel a bit more attentive; they also take after meals drinks orders at your seat and return with them when you've finished eating. The food service can feel slow if you're sitting at the back of a section, so if this is likely to bother you then the solution is to sit at the front of that particularly part of the plane.

Transit through Doha is very easy; its a very modern and clean airport (to be honest I can't think of a better one I've ever been in ) with plenty of staff. You go through security again when transferring on the arrivals level and then down the one way escalators to departures. Airport well laid out in a sort of Y shape with circular centre, 5 departure zones (D and E are linked by skytrains in the actual airport itself as opposed to the usual underground method) and a myriad of top of the range shops and boutiques in a labyrinthian shopping area framed by some lovely cafes and restaurants - there's a great arabic cafe in particular doing regional coffees, teas, cool drinks and snacks with wicker seats and sofas etc. Plenty of clean toilets and play areas for children; all in all a very well thought out; designed, equipped and staffed airport - its probably running under capacity at the moment too and seems a little vacuous. Way, way ahead of the likes of, for example, Dubai. I had 6 hours to kill between flights on the way back and spending it there was an absolute pleasure. Free WIFI throughout.

Probably paid over the odds - over €900 booking last January, I later saw flights as cheap as €770 over Xmas with BA and Turkish but wanted to try this airline and in particular the 787; flying with them again in March for a much more reasonable €520.

To sum up - this is the best of the middle eastern airlines I've flown in all things considered: Qatar > Turkish > Etihad >Emirates.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice review I am flying with them in April from Edinburgh, normally use Emirates as you can get your clubs in with your 30k. However Qatar allow it aswell so I thought I would give them a run. £433 return economy. £100 cheaper than Emirate 3 hours in Doha which gives time to stretch legs and have a relaxing drink..

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

My favourite too. Although the 787 is my least favourite plane - a bit narrow with the seats. A380 is the best.

2 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

My favourite too. Although the 787 is my least favourite plane - a bit narrow with the seats. A380 is the best.

Many airlines are moving away from their A380s.  I recently read that Airbus may begin to shutter production if Emirates doesn't place another big order.

21 minutes ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Many airlines are moving away from their A380s.  I recently read that Airbus may begin to shutter production if Emirates doesn't place another big order.

Shame. But if they put the a380 seat spec on any plane, i'd be happy. Seems like its too generous based upon the future predictions of what economy seats will look like.

4 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

I actually found the seats on the Qatar 787 very comfortable and spacious.

The 777 in 3-4-3 is far and away the most uncomfortable plane to fly on IMHO; the way Emirates configure theirs is the tightest I've ever experienced.

1 hour ago, Luv2Phuket said:

Will be a pity but only to be expected given it has never secured an order from North America; it never seemed to really be positioned properly as an ultra long haul trans-atlantic or trans-pacific airliner and appears for the most part to have ended up being used primarily as a high density medium range carrier in Asia and between Asia and the Middle East.

Love flying on them - take off almost feels as if you're in slow motion and on landing its like you just kiss the tarmac

Totally agree the OP assessment of Qatar. IMO easily the best mid east carrier in economy. Now with the new Doha airport it's hard to find any fault with them. Very well organised and don't remember going through any scanner at Doha airport. With Oman on my flight last month had to go through two scanners at Muscat airport.

I used Qatar for the first time in September, previously used Emirates (x 10plus), Turkish and Lufthanser.

Qatar 787 was a great experience, much better than 777 and A330, perhaps not quite as spacious as a A380 but just as quiet. My only complaint about Doha was a near 25 walk from the gate to the main terminal area. Overall would place above Emirates.

Qater is without doubt a great quality airline to fly with, i've no complaints whatsoever but have only flown with them on 3 occasions. I don't much like their politics and they're state owned so if i can find an alternative i will take that.

11 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

Yes no scanners when you're transiting through doha.

I definitely went through scanners twice....but it was a very quick process. Virtually no queues and very efficient; they must have had at least 20 lanes open and 100 staff or more.

Qatar Airways has been my airline of choice for several years and their business class service is second to none. However at the moment and because I assume due to the flight restrictions being placed on Qatar by neighbouring Arab countries, most of the London-Doha flights are being operated by British Airways who I avoid whenever possible. The few flights being operated by Qatar are very much more expensive and I guess will remain so until the political issues have been sorted. If LHR-DOH-BKK revert to being largely an all Qatar affair and at a reasonable cost then I will stop looking elsewhere for flights.

I will be flying Thai Biz to Bangkok in a few weeks, but do not expect it to come anywhere near the standards of Qatar Airways.

1 hour ago, fatboy21 said:

I will be flying Thai Biz to Bangkok in a few weeks, but do not expect it to come anywhere near the standards of Qatar Airways.

No, but it's OK and the big plus for me is that it is a direct flight - otherwise I would use Qatar more often.

My tip on Thai (assuming you are travelling alone)  is to get a seat that is right by the window on the herringbone layout - eg rows 15, 17, 19 etc on the attached A380 plan - similar on late flight on smaller plane. These seats have more privacy, are closer to the window and have a bit more stoarge space.

5a5234b9e20df_Thaibizseats.jpg.992c778accbf5fb264d10aeb06645127.jpg

19 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

The jumbo market is really getting squeezed, just this week the 747 has flown it's last flight operated by an american airline.  Neither Boeing nor Airbus has had orders for the past year for the 380 or 747.  The airlines are finding it cheaper to operate smaller two engined planes like the 737 or 320 as they have far greater efficiency.

Qatar and Thai my 2 go to airlines for flights to Bangkok. I prefer a direct flight so Thai just edges it for me.

23 minutes ago, bullseye said:

Qatar and Thai my 2 go to airlines for flights to Bangkok. I prefer a direct flight so Thai just edges it for me.

They go from the city or international mate? :D

I used Qatar Airways in November for my flights from London Heathrow--Doha--Bangkok return and                      all 4 flights were A380's and I try to pick my flights using these aircraft, and I just love the economy                     seats on the upper deck 23 to 31 right at the back with it's 2-4-2 seating. They do try to keep back these               seats but being a member I do asked to sit up there and normally they give me that choice.                                     It's only a small section up there but service is second to none and I like the fact that when you leave                   the plane on landing you leave via the Business and First class so departing the plane is much quicker.  

My flight at the end of this month has A380s on all four sectors, it's a great plane for the passengers, but perhaps not so good commercially for the airlines who operate it.  I much prefer it, and go out of my way when booking, to seek it out !

I believe there may be a few flying trans-pacific for Asian airlines  (Asiana, Korean, China Southern, Singapore & Qantas ?), and transatlantic (BA, Lufthansa and Air France), but agree that it hasn't caught-on the way that Airbus must have hoped for the North American airlines.

All three big Gulf-based airlines operate them, I guess it suits their hub-and-spoke business model well on their really-busy routes, or into ultra-busy/limited hubs like LHR ?

Qatar also operates many flights with B777s in 3-4-3 seating which, while I'm not a fan of sardine-seating, does seem a better experience to me, than some others manage.

They're currently my go-to airline, for the reasons the OP gives, I'm Silver on their frquent-flyer programme & going-for-Gold this year !  Priority check-in & boarding, an extra 10kgs of hold-baggage allowance when flying back here loaded-down with goodies, all good !

Qatar have been my usual LHR to Bangkok airline always economy, I usually go with them because it is cheaper to go with them than going direct,  always choose the more spacious a380's all 4 planes. I have always been impressed with them, but the time I did go direct with Thai I was pleasantly surprised how good they were, keeping the drinks flowing etc.

This time for my upcoming February trip I'm not going with them because all their competitive fares, meant taking the 5:25am 787 on the return. Which I don't fancy that timing. So Emirates it is this time.

On 07/01/2018 at 12:10, PR1977 said:

I definitely went through scanners twice....but it was a very quick process. Virtually no queues and very efficient; they must have had at least 20 lanes open and 100 staff or more.

I went through scanners too, at the end of August. I was surprised as I've used Qatar exclusively for the last 4 years and this was the first time there'd been security for transit passengers but, it was when Qatar were having problems with the other middle eastern countries

10 hours ago, Welbeck said:

I went through scanners too, at the end of August. I was surprised as I've used Qatar exclusively for the last 4 years and this was the first time there'd been security for transit passengers but, it was when Qatar were having problems with the other middle eastern countries

On my only Qatar experience, I connected in Doha on my way back to LAX.  There were scanners and a security check at the gate -- in fact, it was a very extensive check that was a complete clusterfuck! 

You had to line up to get your electronics cleared, but the desk to check electronics was about halfway through the economy check-in line and all but completely....which meant NOBODY else could get to the desk to get their electronics checked/bagged!

That said, I only had to do it before my Doha-LAX flight.  My outbound flight connecting through Doha did not require anything remotely close to it.

I would consider that absurd, disorganized mess to be the only negative on my 4 Qatar legs for that trip.

qatar seem to have introduced random carry-on bag checks, when you get to your departing gate at doha. Drug swabs, body search etc.

typically, a black UK guy made a right scene as he assumed some discrimination :rolleyes:

...then realised he was just the first of many to be checked. Embarrassing.

I've flown Qatar a number of times. Always a fairly good experience.  I believe they will have flights from Doha to U Tapao starting soon, if not already, but the overall travel time, even factoring in the commute from BKK to Pattaya didn't make it a viable option for me. 

The airport in Doha does seem to have quite stringent security.  Seems a bit hypocrital to me, thought, for a nation that is a allegedly a state sponsor of terrorism to search my bags multiple times. :unsure:

8 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

On my only Qatar experience, I connected in Doha on my way back to LAX.  There were scanners and a security check at the gate -- in fact, it was a very extensive check that was a complete clusterfuck! 

You had to line up to get your electronics cleared, but the desk to check electronics was about halfway through the economy check-in line and all but completely....which meant NOBODY else could get to the desk to get their electronics checked/bagged!

That said, I only had to do it before my Doha-LAX flight.  My outbound flight connecting through Doha did not require anything remotely close to it.

I would consider that absurd, disorganized mess to be the only negative on my 4 Qatar legs for that trip.

I think it's perhaps more connected with being on a flight to the USA, with higher security-requirements from the DHS, like the recent  laptop-ban which has now been removed after a security-upgrade at Doha ?

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/06/qatar-airways-becomes-fourth-airline-to-be-granted-us-laptop-ban-exemption.html

Qatar currently have their annual January-Sale on, called the Global Travel Boutique, for bookings by 16th January (that's tomorrow !) unless it's extended.  They also have a new route into London-Stansted in 2018, and flights to Utapao start end-January, should be some launch-offers ?

Archived