IGNORED

Christmas Dinner Options 2017

Evil Penevil

well the goose may be cooked at Jollys but this one is not far away and is rated highly for it's food all year by some expats i know

new plaza near frydays towards second rd and around opposite soi 7. The Golden Ferret......................

5a3d38b7da19d_dec22015(Custom).JPG.1c3e0d91df43e19c38f685e4ed0e3872.JPG

a golden ferret for those that don't golf is a nickname for chipping into the hole from a bunker

5a3d391802861_dec22017(Custom).JPG.4aa6574abaaffec218f18cc1524a7ee8.JPG

competitive price

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, baddog666 said:

Just a theory , but aside from families and groups...does the single monger on holiday really care about a traditional Christmas dinner ?

Maybe not, but I think you underestimate the large number of people who live here permanently or stay here for several months at a time, especially over the winter. These are the ones who will be most interested in an Xmas meal. The fact that most places invite early bookings would tend to confirm this: how many people on holiday for a week or two would be in a position to decide on and book a meal before they arrive, especially as some require prepayment?

Most of my single expat friends (of which I have many of both sexes) will be going out for at least one special meal over the holiday period, and I am surprised by the number of them who have bought frozen turkeys or turkey breasts also. These are also the people who keep the many golf courses here in business: the two-week millionaires dont do that.

@KittenKong

Perhaps factor in also that for most of us the Christmas Dinner event is a social occasion more than it is a craving for certain ingredients like Turkey etc, which are often disappointing anyway.
Therefore it may be that expats are more likely to be in a social circle which plans a Christmas gathering.
Put another way, if I'm invited to a Christmas Dinner with a group of friends that's great, but if not would I go out alone in search of the best one I could find just for its own sake........noooo.....thus if I was a single tourist the occasion would most likely just pass me by.

26 minutes ago, Edge said:

@KittenKong

Perhaps factor in also that for most of us the Christmas Dinner event is a social occasion more than it is a craving for certain ingredients like Turkey etc, which are often disappointing anyway.
Therefore it may be that expats are more likely to be in a social circle which plans a Christmas gathering.
Put another way, if I'm invited to a Christmas Dinner with a group of friends that's great, but if not would I go out alone in search of the best one I could find just for its own sake........noooo.....thus if I was a single tourist the occasion would most likely just pass me by.

Excellent point made... not like you would want to take a Thai girl for a traditional Christmas meal, I doubt she would eat anything  that was offered.

I am not ting tong...my mother had me tested.

Christmas dinners are for families. Basically it's just a roast dinner which normally would be @250 baht. No way i am paying 1000 baht. No wonder they have vacancies.

1 hour ago, chris2004 said:

Christmas dinners are for families. Basically it's just a roast dinner which normally would be @250 baht. No way i am paying 1000 baht. No wonder they have vacancies.

scrooge.gif.72322d3b362c83a21e5ecf0947b84997.gif

14 hours ago, striderman said:

well the goose may be cooked at Jollys but this one is not far away and is rated highly for it's food all year by some expats i know

new plaza near frydays towards second rd and around opposite Soi 7. The Golden Ferret......................

5a3d391802861_dec22017(Custom).JPG.4aa6574abaaffec218f18cc1524a7ee8.JPG

competitive price

Looks great.

Again, no pic, but Palmers on Soi 13/4 off Beach Road is coming in the cheapest so far at 540 baht for a two-course dinner.  The text of Palmers' notice:

Xmas day  Turkey dinner 435 baht,  Pork+chicken 375 baht ( inc. all veg + sausage/bacon) 

Xmas pud/mince pies  Cream/custard/icecream 105 bht 
Turkey sandwich  105 bht 
( free cheese board with meal ) 

And an expensive one (Dusit Thani) with a last-minute discount:

Dusit.JPG.e59504a894485a1fe3a8128d6cece45c.JPG

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.5aca6563273a6e63

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

5 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Basically it's just a roast dinner which normally would be @250 baht.

Not really.  The 1,000-baht Christmas dinners include three courses.  The basic Pattaya roast dinner at 250 baht is one plate of food with no starter and certainly no turkey or Christmas pudding.  Both turkey and Christmas pudding are expensive in Thailand.

It may well be that 1,000 baht is a major price hurdle in terms of Christmas dinner.  However, there are cheaper options out there if you don't want to fork over 1,000 baht.  Thrifty diners can have  the 105-baht turkey sandwich at Palmers while humming "Jingle Bells."

And if you're not at all worried about Christmas dinner, there are dozens, of not hundreds, of restaurants where you can eat off the regular menu at regular prices.

Santa Penevil

dancing-santa-claus.gif.5aca6563273a6e63

sigmyvvv.jpg.cb46a0ab77905c40e6b49f00c43b583a.jpg

Usually more expensive than roast dinner due to turkey flying over First Class

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

... a last-minute discount:

I suspect that it wont be the last.

2 hours ago, Evil Penevil said:

The 1,000-baht Christmas dinners include three courses.  The basic Pattaya roast dinner at 250 baht is one plate of food with no starter and certainly no turkey or Christmas pudding.  Both turkey and Christmas pudding are expensive in Thailand.

You can get a multi-course Sunday roast in most places for well under 500B, or an entirely decent single plate for under 200B in the likes of Robin Hood which I often go to on Sundays. I'm perfectly willing to admit that turkey costs a lot more than pork or chicken, but it isnt so much more expensive than lamb, and 100-200B on top of the regular price should easily cover the difference, especially as most of the other ingredients are very cheap.

1000B and up is just price gouging as far as I can see, unless you are getting something of the standard of the Royal Cliff which is charging more or less the price of its regular Saturday evening buffet (1400++, or around 1700B) for its Xmas lunch. Most of the other offers I've seen this year are nowhere near that standard.

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
8 hours ago, chris2004 said:

Usually more expensive than roast dinner due to turkey flying over First Class

3014336B00000578-3395468-You_might_have_

Merry xmas to all. I'm a newbie in this forum and I don't mean to derail this thread at all, but just wanted to quickly say to those who are interested here in the Philippines xmas lunch is really only for the foreigners. Filipinos celebrate noche buena which is a feast started just after midnight xmas eve, ie early xmas day (timed to be after midnight mass). They do the same on new years but then it's called media noche. Anyway, sorry to deviate, just thought some might be interested. Merry xmas guys, or as they say here Maligayang Pasko! Take care, please, and lots of love and best wishes to your families. Cheers.

On 12/24/2017 at 00:22, DaveLock said:

Merry xmas to all. I'm a newbie in this forum and I don't mean to derail this thread at all, but just wanted to quickly say to those who are interested here in the Philippines xmas lunch is really only for the foreigners. Filipinos celebrate noche buena which is a feast started just after midnight xmas eve, ie early xmas day (timed to be after midnight mass). They do the same on new years but then it's called media noche. Anyway, sorry to deviate, just thought some might be interested. Merry xmas guys, or as they say here Maligayang Pasko! Take care, please, and lots of love and best wishes to your families. Cheers.

That's great info, thank you. But being that this is Pattaya-addicts and not Philippine-addicts, I'm not sure how useful it is. 

However, if you know some Filipinas in Pattaya, I would enjoy celebrating Christmas with them. 555

Turkey Adobo?  :rolleyes:

You guys that go eat these Christmas specials need to take photos so we can compare what was served at each price point.

Had dinner at Steak.co / Smokin Joe .... 995 bt for Xmas dinner ,  never ate all of it , left 50% of it on the plate with my mate . It was cold when served , No ham there , very disappointed . With all the great reviews , I was lead to believe it will be a great Xmas dinner , probably my worst ever in my entire life , my mate said the same , he never finished the dinner either . 

11 minutes ago, jocky king said:

Had dinner at Steak.co / Smokin Joe .... 995 bt for Xmas dinner ,  never ate all of it , left 50% of it on the plate with my mate . It was cold when served , No ham there , very disappointed . With all the great reviews , I was lead to believe it will be a great Xmas dinner , probably my worst ever in my entire life , my mate said the same , he never finished the dinner either . 

What kind of things were on the plate? 

Some things are meant to be served cold, some not.

11 minutes ago, strawberrypi said:

The only thing served cold on my Christmas Dinner is the Cranberry Sauce.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

6 hours ago, strawberrypi said:

Revenge :WinkGrin1:

hard rock, big buffet.  great, will do the same for new years.   first of three plates.....     they gave some kind of wine which was fantastic, some clove in it, sure would like to find that somewhere

IMG_7325.jpg

hard rock, big buffet.  great, will do the same for new years.   first of three plates.....     they gave some kind of wine which was fantastic, some clove in it, sure would like to find that somewhere
IMG_7325.jpg.5938e170f5955779768255ad224ff116.jpg

Looks great .. the wine is interesting was it like their version of a " mulled wine " , served warm ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gusincebu said:

Looks great .. the wine is interesting was it like their version of a " mulled wine " , served warm ?

Sent from my SM-T535 using Tapatalk

maybe, whatever it sure was good.  sent a message to ask, will let you know if they tell me

5 hours ago, just hanging said:

they gave some kind of wine which was fantastic, some clove in it, sure would like to find that somewhere

Mulled wine, though last year I found it completely undrinkable and rejected it after the first sip.

Easy to make at home: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mulledwine_8156

Archived