IGNORED

Patong is so expensive now

Gazman Soi6

I've been to Patong every year for the last 6 years or so. Night time spending wise I've always spent around the same 10k bhat. A few years ago the girls in the Tiger bars were super aggressive with lady drinks. When I went in February this year I was surprised to see they had relaxed a lot. Regular Patong goers will notice the number of bars in New Tiger has gotten smaller and smaller over the years, so it seems the bars are taking a more laid back approach to keep what customers they have in the bars. 

I hardly ever take Tuk Tuks or taxis there to get around from beach to beach as they are a fucking rip off. You can try taxi bikes, or I understand there is now a bus that runs all the way from the airport to Rawai beach. Along the way it stops at various beaches including Surin, Karon and Kata. If you are already in Patong you could get to these beaches for 50-100 beach vs paying 500-700 for a tuk tuk or taxi.

I really enjoy the beaches in Phuket and have always had a great time out on Bangla road. Yes it's expensive but no more expensive than Bangkok. 

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the effort and the maps, jd66, much appreciated.

I'm no expert, but the food courts inside Banzaan market (upper floor) and the JungCeylon centre (basement) seem to get good reviews.  From looking around Tripadvisor, I like the look of YamThai, Naughty Nuri's and i-Kroon as well.

12 minutes ago, kopite said:

....to get around from beach to beach ...... there is now a bus that runs all the way from the airport to Rawai beach. Along the way it stops at various beaches including Surin, Karon and Kata. If you are already in Patong you could get to these beaches for 50-100 beach vs paying 500-700 for a tuk tuk or taxi.

I think you're referring here to the Phuket Smart Bus 

https://phuketsmartbus.com/  

https://www.phuket101.net/how-to-ride-phuket-bus/

7 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

What about accomodation?

Last time i was in phuket was xmas 2010 i think. 

As mentioned above, Surin, Kata, Karon, you'll save a boatload of cash for better things like lbfm.

Far less expensive and much more laid back.

I remember when those areas where considered insanity for a foreigner to invest in. Those guys are laughing now. 

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

No one who lives in Phuket goes to Patong. I live in Rawai, about 20 minutes south. There are 2 beer bar areas where the talent is way hotter than Pattaya. Plus little beer bars everywhere, not to mention the hotties at the massage parlors. I love it here. People are more health oriented, beaches are the best in Thailand. Would not step foot in the cesspools Pattaya calls beaches. Anyway try exploring a little, talk to the local ex pats. Whole new world outside Patong.

7 minutes ago, flaboy said:

No one who lives in Phuket goes to Patong. I live in Rawai, about 20 minutes south. There are 2 beer bar areas where the talent is way hotter than Pattaya. Plus little beer bars everywhere, not to mention the hotties at the massage parlors. I love it here. People are more health oriented, beaches are the best in Thailand. Would not step foot in the cesspools Pattaya calls beaches. Anyway try exploring a little, talk to the local ex pats. Whole new world outside Patong.

A bit like the seafood restaurants on Walking Street Pattaya, over priced tourist traps. I used to ride my bike south of Pattaya to Preecha Seafood. very fair prices and delicious. I've heard of Rawai, but never been there. Thanks for sharing.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

10 minutes ago, flaboy said:

I assume you have made the trek down to Rawai Beach than.

It's a pretty cool little place

And is a  really a good place to go for seafood if that is your thing.

62_EFAA6_A-_A602-4_EDF-_A999-552_EFC4_C9

969_A5665-_ACD8-4147-_A925-08_F0_F582151

A22_E34_F1-3441-4_C1_B-823_D-6_F678_A74_

Those seafood prices are by the KG there so not to bad and they have places that will cook it for you

06_E9_DF27-_B19_F-407_C-9390-9_CBF0_E90_

17 minutes ago, flaboy said:

Patong was the last place we'd hang on days off for those not working there in the early 90s. 

20 minutes to Rawai? Are the roads that much better or are you a speed demon?

Always explore, that is where some Thai comes in very handy especially on long rides to villages. Better yet befriend a knowledgeable trustworthy affluent Thai and they will open doors expats never thought possible. Along with showing you things you would otherwise never find without them. 

Tequila Reef Cantina Bar and Restaurant
Established 2001
Soi 7 Pattaya Beach Road
Tel:(038) 414-035

Pattaya: Tequila Reef Pattaya Restaurant

tequilareef_banner_300.jpg

FACEBOOK - TWITTER - YOUTUBE

1_1_Philippines-Addicts-Logo-May-2012.jp

Join Philippines Addicts the World's largest Philippines Sex Travel and expat forum with over 62,000 members today! Be advanced immediately ONLY if you are advanced on Pattaya Addicts with over 150 posts. PM me on PIA!

I love Phuket, but you really need to know where to go to get cheap stuff. Patong is a real tourist trap. Pattaya is way better set up for expats and therefore cheaper dining and drinking options which means the average cost of everything for tourists is lower. But there is nothing better than renting a motorbike and riding around the island

Where I stay in Patong the room rates more than double between high season and low season which is a real piss off.

12 Pints in Know it all

3 hours ago, tequilareef said:

Patong was the last place we'd hang on days off for those not working there in the early 90s. 

20 minutes to Rawai? Are the roads that much better or are you a speed demon?

Always explore, that is where some Thai comes in very handy especially on long rides to villages. Better yet befriend a knowledgeable trustworthy affluent Thai and they will open doors expats never thought possible. Along with showing you things you would otherwise never find without them. 

Yea I have a Ducati Hypermotard, cuts through mountains like butter :) A scooter can be done in 30, if you don't drive like a tourist. By car could be 2 1/2 hours depending on traffic. 

3 hours ago, j_d66 said:

I assume you have made the trek down to Rawai Beach than.

It's a pretty cool little place

And is a  really a good place to go for seafood if that is your thing.

62_EFAA6_A-_A602-4_EDF-_A999-552_EFC4_C9

969_A5665-_ACD8-4147-_A925-08_F0_F582151

A22_E34_F1-3441-4_C1_B-823_D-6_F678_A74_

Those seafood prices are by the KG there so not to bad and they have places that will cook it for you

06_E9_DF27-_B19_F-407_C-9390-9_CBF0_E90_

Oh hell yea. Very close to my house. Have lived in Rawai almost 3 years now. Some great seafood restaurants right on the water.

8 hours ago, tequilareef said:

As mentioned above, Surin, Kata, Karon, you'll save a boatload of cash for better things like lbfm.

...wouldn't want to stay in fishing villages. I want bright lights, shopping malls and bangla road bars and disco's, within walking distance. Otherwise not worth going.

9 hours ago, tequilareef said:

Far less expensive and much more laid back.

I remember when those areas where considered insanity for a foreigner to invest in. Those guys are laughing now. 

Everybody wants different things, I'm not criticising those who want more of a beach kind of time in Kata, Karon etc, good luck to them, but that's not what I want.  What I'm after is a quick 4-6 day something similarish to Pattaya but different, ie the bright lights of Bangla Rd.  The trouble with staying somewhere like Kata or Karon, as a short visitor without a fast Ducati, is the return home late with your girl of the night.  The cost and hassle of some kind of taxi outweigh the saving on room price(?)  I don't know Phuket well, but I've ridden Kata-Patong by little motorbike [15 yrs ago], and it's not a short journey.

What I want for accomodation is a B800-1300 guesthouse somewhere slightly inland in Patong, maybe inland of 3rd Rd (or whatever it's called), close but inland of Banzaan market.  Can anyone recommend such a place?

4 hours ago, SirL said:

Everybody wants different things, I'm not criticising those who want more of a beach kind of time in Kata, Karon etc, good luck to them, but that's not what I want.  What I'm after is a quick 4-6 day something similarish to Pattaya but different, ie the bright lights of Bangla Rd.  The trouble with staying somewhere like Kata or Karon, as a short visitor without a fast Ducati, is the return home late with your girl of the night.  The cost and hassle of some kind of taxi outweigh the saving on room price(?)  I don't know Phuket well, but I've ridden Kata-Patong by little motorbike [15 yrs ago], and it's not a short journey.

What I want for accomodation is a B800-1300 guesthouse somewhere slightly inland in Patong, maybe inland of 3rd Rd (or whatever it's called), close but inland of Banzaan market.  Can anyone recommend such a place?

My last three trips to Phuket I have stayed at Crystal Beach hotel

http://www.thecrystalbeachhotel.com/en-us

Not exactly in the location you are looking for but not far from it.

About 10 minute walk to Bangla and 5 minute walk to beach and Otop bars

Plus you can rent a scooter from the hotel now which I like that option

Prices vary and it's hard to find much at a great price during high season but I always go during low season and was able to stay there for between 850-1,200 baht each time.  I book through Agoda or hotels.com whichever one is cheapest.

I really like this place

I always base myself in Patong given I'm on bangla every night.

Which other bar areas are worth checking out? I tried Kata a few years ago but most of those girls looked past their sell by date.

I'm thinking something like

http://www.thehousepatong.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297930-d7736553-Reviews-The_House_Patong-Patong_Kathu_Phuket.html

would suit me well, the price and location seems right.  All my basic eating at Banzaan upstairs and JungCeylon basement food courts nearby.  What would be the catch with this sort of accomodation? [There may be others similar nearby that would be better, I haven't looked thoroughly]

14 minutes ago, SirL said:

I'm thinking something like

http://www.thehousepatong.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g297930-d7736553-Reviews-The_House_Patong-Patong_Kathu_Phuket.html

would suit me well, the price and location seems right.  All my basic eating at Banzaan upstairs and JungCeylon basement food courts nearby.  What would be the catch with this sort of accomodation? [There may be others similar nearby that would be better, I haven't looked thoroughly]

That looks really good. I bet the catch is ...it gets booked up quick

http://www.summerbreezehotel.com/index.htm

also looks good.  A little closer to the action, and a little more expensive perhaps.  You pays your money and you takes your pick.  Maybe I don't have to be inland of 3rd Rd to get a moderate price.

BTW I'm happy to commit and book many months ahead so places filling up quick aren't usually a problem for me.

Great info!  My last trip to Phuket was for a convention about 2 months before the tsunami in 2004.

This thread has really brought back some fond memories, mainly because one of the funnier guys in our group passed away a few years ago.  The hotel (Hilton Arcadia) looks very much the same; spent most of our nights at Rock Hard (mentioned above) and had a couple of great meals at Baan Rim Pa (which appears to have dropped in its standing over the years -- it still ranks a solid 4 stars, but it is listed as #96 of 592 restaurants in Phuket on TripAdvisor).

I've always hoped to go back, but never got around to it.  While I still hope to make it back at some point, the convenience and familiarity (*not to mention the girls!) of Pattaya always trump that.

I gave up on Phuket 8 years ago.  Patpong felt like a strip mall and the only affordable pussy for me were at the massage joints or freelancers walking Banglada Rd.  The actual beach is nice but everything else is not worth the baht.  

During my first trip there the hotel wanted to charge me for a broken sliding glass door that was cracked when I arrived.  Luckily I snuck out in the early morning and hopped a bus to Krabi.  I was on a backpacker budget and wasn't about to get extorted in Patong.

On 6/30/2018 at 16:18, SirL said:

Please give precise locations of these places.  Google Street View pics would be nice!

Details including locations of any other good tips appreciated!  (including daytime local-style eating)

Thanks

Seek and you will find, without having to go far. There are places selling Kao Mun Gai, (Haianse chicken) everywhere in Thailand, from shopping mall food courts to joints on streets and sois. Likewise Khao Lad gaeng (Rice with a couple of servings of curry, vegetable etc), and more. They'll set you back 50 to 60 baht.....

Yes, more expensive than the 40 - 50 baht over the hill in Phuket Town, and five times the 10 baht I paid when I first came to came to Thailand over thirty years ago, but folks are being paid more now and fixed and variable costs are a little higher in Patong. Affordable to locals; should be well within the budget of visitors be they backpackers or 2 week millionaires.

• 3 weeks later...

Heard on the grapevine that both tiger complexes will be closing in October. Not surprised for the Crazy House one but the other is usually pretty packed. I know a lot of bars have closed down since a few years ago so maybe the owner has decided to sell up.

Anyone know if this is true? I was due to go there for a week in high season. Reckon I'll still go as there's always lots of freelancers about.

On 7/21/2018 at 08:43, kopite said:

Heard on the grapevine that both tiger complexes will be closing in October. Not surprised for the Crazy House one but the other is usually pretty packed. I know a lot of bars have closed down since a few years ago so maybe the owner has decided to sell up.

Anyone know if this is true? I was due to go there for a week in high season. Reckon I'll still go as there's always lots of freelancers about.

if you walk through them you will see they are less than 50% occupied now.  It's their own damn fault really.  Both places could easily be packed all the time but they tend to get greedy with the lady drinks and tend to try and overcharge patrons.

I called out a bar owner there one night who i had known for awhile and patronized his bar many times.  He flat out admitted to doing it and just laughed about it.  I never went to his bar again.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tiger disco remains as that place was still pretty busy almost all the time.

The newest tiger complex never really caught on very well.  But both of those places wont stay empty for long as there is to much money to be made on Bangla

Even without the tiger complexes there are still many places to enjoy your evening

I ate at the Banzaan Market a lot during my recent trip.... I got out of there each night for less than 100 baht including a 10 baht water at the little store at the start of the inside market.... I never ate the fish.. but this is the place to eat if you like Thai food and want to eat cheap... but u are not missing out on any flavor whatsoever... it tastes great... as for the girls..... the girls looked rough in Patong… and for that matter all over Thailand.... I did not go to any of the GoGos but feel that the talent level of Thailand has dropped considerably since the first year there for me in 2009... without Banzaan, my time in Phuket could have been much more expensive  as well as if the girls looked better my wallet would have been lighter by the time I went to Pattaya... Illuzion is indeed a super disco.. but it has ruined the other discos and I rarely saw any good looking girls in Tiger... and holy shit... Tai Pan is a graveyard... with all of that said... I love Phuket and Patong … it is expensive only if you allow it to be

Patong and for that matter Karon seem set up to catch out the first time tourist.

I've traveled all over the world and still maintain that in value for money terms Phuket and Patong CAN represent good value for money. That doesnt mean that they actually do.

There are awesome guest houses between the 3rd rd and Nanai Rd for 500 baht a night in low season, there are great resorts for 1500 baht a night including breakfast in Patong and for that matter all over Phuket. It just depends on how much work you're willing to do to seek out good deals both before and after arrival.

Granted I'm extremely mobile and don't drink a tonne but I'm sure I could list off a hundred places where I could get a beer and a hell of a feed for under 200 baht and if I tried, with the help of one of the bar owners I've come to know over the years, that number could easily be 120-150 baht. I've also paid 350 baht for a rubbish burger and a few fries.......everything is different.

In terms of girls, thankfully I didn't fall out of the ugly tree, but whatever happened to talking to some locals and doing some research?  Up until the end of 2017 (my last trip) I have never paid more than 1500 baht for anything. I've been offered 4-5000 plus and simply walk away........there are options everywhere. Be smart.

My preference now is to get further south, but remain on Phuket. The beaches, the personalities and the options are pretty consistent.

I'll be there in about 8 weeks. Hopefully there is less rain than last year!

Archived