Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Patong is so expensive now

Gazman Soi6

As a long time traveller to Thailand I found myself at Patong most trips as I have made so many friends there.

Although on my most recent trip I have to say I was left disappointed. It was in June, so during Low season but I think it was the lowest low season I have ever seen. So many Chinese Tourists everywhere but Farang are few and far between.  Because of this you are constantly asked for LD or if you want a suit, Tuk Tuk etc. But not only that, in typical Thai Style they have raised the prices of everything as less people are travelling there. IMO this will only scare away more people and I am sure if I will be back in Patong on not for future trips.

Im not just talking about ST and LT prices, but BF, LD, beer and even just food. Markets are trying there hardest to get top dollar and I was even allowed to walk away on many occasions. I found Mangos selling for 100B each... Serious that is ridiculous

Come see me at Sweet Bar Soi 6 Facebook 

Sweetbarsoi6.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Gazman86 said:

I found Mangos selling for 100B each... Serious that is ridiculous

Depends were you buy them!:rolleyes:

I was in Patong this year in May and paid only 40 baht for 1 kilo of very sweet and delicious Mangoes (Nam Dok Mai) in Big C JungCeylon! :P

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

I hear you Gazman. I have a love/hate relationship with Phuket.

I have a lot Thai friends in Patong that brings me to the island. But the prices being asked are getting out of hand.

With the Baht being low to the Aus dollar and prices going up, I think Phuket will be losing farang tourists.

Depends were you buy them!:rolleyes:
I was in Patong this year in May and paid only 40 baht for 1 kilo of very sweet and delicious Mangoes (Nam Dok Mai) in Big C JungCeylon! [emoji14]
Plahgat

I did also find.some at 40b for the kilo on Nanai Rd. But was shocked when I saw them at 100b each

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Come see me at Sweet Bar Soi 6 Facebook 

Sweetbarsoi6.png

Just now, Gazman86 said:

I did also find.some at 40b for the kilo on Nanai Rd. But was shocked when I saw them at 100b each

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

40 baht for a tourist that never ate one and doesn't know where else to go

I have never been down that way, too bad so expensive, wouldn't mind a trip just lazy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm here now , it's afternoon, arrived this morning from pattaya, 

seriously , first impressions, haven't been out at night yet , but  if you took away the Chinese , there would be no one here , I've been staying at r mar resort for years now,  guest friendly with a really nice pool , used to have an even mix of nationalities, 

Totally over run by Chinese now , 

the pro Aussie family crowd that used to be everywhere on the streets of Patong , is not so noticeable now . 

• 7 months later...

Yes, there is a "Chinese invasion" here. Nobody like them, they buy nothing, they not fu*king and if they are... had a GF from gogo and she told me they are so stupid, that once she asked 20 000 bath for ST (yes, you reading right 5 digits) and Chinese say fine, they are ruining everything here, just following the flag, driving motorbikes 20km/h and standing in the middle of the road. There are tuktuk drivers, they will tell you that every single day, some Chinese crash motorbike here, I no fu*king wonder.

Oh and about prices ... you're right, Patong is now comparable in some cases, or even more expensive than main Europe summer vacation places. I have friends coming here to visit me, they are all thinking that "oooo Thailand so cheap", and after they come here, they are eating boiled eggs from 7/11, bananas and drinking Chang 7/11 on the street.

Everybody planing to come here, bring at least 5000baht per day not including accommodation, that's the absolute basic what you need to have for a good time here, this includes (motorbike rental, food, massages, alcohol, gym, some f*cking, day trips) but don't expect nothing luxurious.

It was already expensive 5 yrs ago. I never went back there. 

The scene is smaller, girls not as hot and you pay 1.5 times the price of Pattaya. Why bother. 

Edit: Having said that, Pattaya is now expensive too. It feels like saying that to Pattaya too

1 hour ago, Droplet said:

It was already expensive 5 yrs ago. I never went back there

It was really expensive compared to other places in Thailand when I first visited Phuket 28 years ago.555  

I've avoided Patong exactly because of the rip off attitude; the seafood restaurants on the beach front are the worse; mediocre grub, bad service and charge by weight even though the menu states a set price.

Have they never heard of the internet or Trip Advisor? They did exactly the same in the 90's and it got such a bad rep that the TAT had to step in to get the tourists back. 

You're here now where you should have been all along.  :wink:

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Went once and once was enough. The place was small, boring and overpriced. Total waste of time.

47 minutes ago, Pheat said:

It was really expensive compared to other places in Thailand when I first visited Phuket 28 years ago.555  

i stopped going in 1990, cos it way too expensive compared to pattaya

• 3 months later...

I am with Gazman & Gupta,

I have been coming to Patong for years with the view to seeing friends i have made over the years but enough is enough now (May 2018), way to expensive as mentioned earlier, there are cheaper places/prices in europe. There are far less farangs that you can meet and chat and have a beer with, its just full of chinese, indians just taking photos/videos and walking past all the bars which are now empty in the daytime and not as busy of a night time. Another thing i have now noticed is the amount of people trying to get you into bars/clubs etc and sell junk stuff, if they cleared Bangla rd of these it would be a quiet street.

I have now decided to try somewhere else as a base and with it mostly probably being Patts,

Goodbye Patong, wake up and realize that you are changing and not for the best!!  

Phuket has always been more expensive than other tourist  locations.  I fell out of love with the place many years ago, when prices started to mirror Bangkok.  Then they screwed up the airport and the road system, hotel quality and service started to  degrade as the place became more popular, direct international flights started and house prices went through the roof, that was it for me.  haven't been back since.

Party central in Patong can set you back plenty, but it all gets more reasonable as you get further from Bangla. Don't restrict yourself to Patong...... The hinterland around Phuket Island has plenty to offer to suit a range of budgets. For less than the cost of a singe tuk-tuk ride you can rent a motorcycle for a day, and you are on a roll.

I visit Phuket at least once a year if not twice when I can..Sure it's expensive if your a mug,1000 barfine for starters,but nearly every girl I met would happily meet up at 2am for a liaison hence no barfine at all..when barfines were 200 or 300 i never did it,but 1000 is taking the piss so i dont feel guilty at all.All night in,1500 under the purse seems to do the job.Plenty of  freelancers walking up and down Bangala at closing time 1000 st no prob..

Tuk tuks don't use them,I hire a bike 250 a day if I want to get out of Patong,if not I walk..

Over the years,I've been visiting since 2005,I've built up a friendship with a few bar owners and hotels,and feel at home there.

I'm a very keen pool player so the Chang club is a favorite hang out,full of freelancers after the bars shut..I stay at the silk hotel just opposite and have lost count how many girls I've crossed the road with . 

My advice would be if it's too expensive don't pay it,keep looking and you'l be fine.

DONT hire a jet ski,the guys that run them are scum...watch out for the ladyboys keep your hand on your wallet if they approach you..

. I'm planing 2 weeks in Sept, then a week in Pats,so if anyone's looking for a wingman drop us a msg..cheers Pincher.. 

Did 4 trips to Thailand last year.  Always feel safe walking around BKK and Pattaya.   Spent 3 nights in Patong over new year and saw the only 3 street fights I've ever seen in Thailand in that short time... The place just doesn't feel as 'welcoming'....

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I had planned to spend 2 months in Patong this month. After a few days I realized I made a mistake and now am in Bangkok. As others have mentioned in the tourist areas, where most of us spend the bulk of our time, the costs are comparable if not greater than western countries, particularly sea food. I've always found the beloved friendly Thai attitude completely lacking in Phuket and that is the same as it ever was. The infrastructure has not kept up with the volume of people now coming to Phuket who are often drunken and riding motorbikes poorly. It can be a daily life or death experience to cross the street. There are new malls, condos and hotels, but the roads, sewer systems and electric is what desparately needs upgrading.  Phuket now attracts annoying digital nomads, vloggers, and Chinese tourists by the masses and has  become over priced and a hyped tourist trap, particularly the surrounding islands. Next month I'm going to check out Hua Hin, hopefully it offers a relaxing beach vibe without the shortcomings of Phuket. I don't plan to go back to Phuket for many years.

Haven't been back to Patong in a few years, the prices are a joke, met a few farang business owners all selling up and happily leaving Patong, it's not even a shadow of its former self.

Bars, girls, ld, bf, everything is a piss take. Go into a gogo bar on soi seadragon and you'll know what I mean.

Went to pattaya and have never looked back, until Phuket gets its act together I'll never go back. I think people will be boycotting Phuket and I hope they finally get the idea.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Whenever I read the Phuket is to expensive bashing threads i just smile and shake my head.

I still maintain that the place is no more expensive than any of the other main destinations in Thailand if one would only educate themselves some.

Like seafood for example.  Yes along the main drag it is very expensive but head over a couple blocks like across the street from the Bangla boxing stadium and you will find a night food market that is setup every night and they offer all kinds of fresh cook to order seafood for a fraction of the price and much better than you will ever find in many other places in Thailand.

C0764336-344_F-4907-992_E-_C69_BE25_D40_

2_E1_DD690-_BBFE-48_E3-_ACB9-2_C19025_F3

I have been there several times and it is wall to wall people offering a tremendous amount of choices not just seafood all at locals type prices.  

AC6_FAE9_A-7276-4_CDF-_B7_D0-_BD4658_C1_

There also is a place where you can get the best chicken rice that probably will be some of the best you will ever eat

9_A9_ECBCD-4369-4628-87_FD-_A80845_F51_A

But some might find this overpriced at 50 baht.

I can lead you to at least half a dozen or more locals type places that are a short walk in the Patong area where you can get really good food at great price.

They also have probably the coolest disco anywhere in Thailand

6_CFC17_ED-_A55_B-445_B-_A634-3263_AD9_E

37_E632_B3-_B183-4_AB3-9_B55-73_F5_F0_FA

Some pretty good go go's as well with girls as good looking as anything you will find in the high end go go's in Pattaya at virtually the same rate.

Several discos with plenty of freelancers and never a bar fine again very reasonable, lovely and very good in bed.

Yes there are places along Bangla that are overpriced but just hang out and have some fun and take home a girl later when they head to the discos which many of them do.

There is also a whole complex of cool little beer bars behind O Top

3_A372_E7_F-791_D-4161-8_AF6-8_DFF5_EC13

Where one can have a great time easily hopping from bar to bar with very reasonably priced drinks and cheap bar fines.

I won't even get into how superior the beaches are in South Thailand.

As I have stated before there is zero reason to have to spend any more when in Phuket/Patong and if you can't seem to make it happen the problem is likely not the location but the approach to the location.

3 hours ago, j_d66 said:

There also is a place where you can get the best chicken rice that probably will be some of the best you will ever eat

9_A9_ECBCD-4369-4628-87_FD-_A80845_F51_A

I can lead you to at least half a dozen or more locals type places that are a short walk in the patong area where you can get really good food at great price.

Please give precise locations of these places.  Google Street View pics would be nice!

Details including locations of any other good tips appreciated!  (including daytime local-style eating)

Thanks

It's pretty basic really.............. don't eat in beach road seafood joints, and stay out of the gogo's in Soi Sea Dragon.  Big money saving tips.. Don't use Tuk Tuks... they are burglars pure and simple.

Want naughty massages? Soi Kebsup is THE  naughty massage soi in Patong... you can also try Christins on 2nd Road. Both south of Bangla and on the right on 2nd Road..

The place opposite the boxing joint is Banzaan Market.... fantastic local food at great prices... Walk up Soi Sansabai and you can't help but run into it.

OTOP bars are fun and simple...  Even out on Nanai Road there are bargains to be had... plenty of small bars and restaurants on that road. want even more reasonably priced places? Head over Kamala, a few nice bars down on the beach and even on the main road.

The Beaches in the Andaman Sea leave the beaches around here for dead... even the worst beach on Phuket is better than the best around Pattaya.

Phuket is a great place, if you don't fall for the tourist traps... once you know how the place works, it is in many ways, better than here.

2 minutes ago, dave01 said:

stay out of the gogo's in Soi Sea Dragon.

What is wrong with the gogos on soi Sea Dragon?  I understand LDs are B250, I'm very familiar with Bangkok gogo ripoffs eg double LDs, so what exactly should I watch out for please?  My style is more to visit gogos just to play around, and look for girls to take home from more informal venues, so the high ST pricing of the Sea Dragon gogos doesn't worry me too much.  Or maybe I'll splurge for just a few days.

I last went to Phuket in 2004(?), literally a week or two after the tsunami, and I'm thinking of going there on my next trip just for a change for a few days from Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, SirL said:

What is wrong with the gogos on soi Sea Dragon?  I understand LDs are B250, I'm very familiar with Bangkok gogo ripoffs eg double LDs, so what exactly should I watch out for please?  My style is more to visit gogos just to play around, and look for girls to take home from more informal venues, so the high ST pricing of the Sea Dragon gogos doesn't worry me too much.  Or maybe I'll splurge for just a few days.

I last went to Phuket in 2004(?), literally a week or two after the tsunami, and I'm thinking of going there on my next trip just for a change for a few days from Pattaya.

The topic is about how expensive Patong now is... Soi Sea Dragon is the most expensive soi in the area.. So staying out of the GoGo's on that soi is a money saving tip, is all.... By all means go there, but some aren't interested in being charged 200 baht for a 31 baht Singha.. My comment is directed to those blokes.

My fave GoGo's were the Rock Hard, when it was an arvo GG.... had many a great afternoon there. Also SW's, back in the day, before it got expensive was good fun... still good fun, but you need to be cashed up.. 

On 30/06/2018 at 19:18, SirL said:

Please give precise locations of these places.  Google Street View pics would be nice!

Details including locations of any other good tips appreciated!  (including daytime local-style eating)

Thanks

Ok the chicken rice place is called Briley

27_B625_D9-4450-4_F87-_A8_F7-5_FB7539208

briley_map.jpg

it is in a little plaza just north of the Novotel.  There is a purple Siam bank and it is across the street.

The chicken rice is really good here

A pretty good locals type place is called Delicious 

delicious.jpg

delicious_map.jpg

Cross the street where the hospital is and it is on your right.  They have a big variety of food here

Actually all along this road you will find places to eat.

A decent Korean BBQ. 

khon_kaen_bbq.jpg

khon_kaen_bbq_map.jpg

Again mostly locals come here.  See the theme

The night market is in the parking lot of Banzaan Fresh Market across from Bangla Boxing Stadium

night_market.jpg

You will only find it here at night

B4679666-190_B-4_DBD-_BBB6-_CB9_E0681_D9

93_C20_B58-51_E7-466_F-8172-6139_FAD6446

6_D37_F2_EC-03_CD-4232-8_F08-79_E8_DF89_

577566_D8-26_E5-4_CCC-_ACF8-_A369_FE3_EC

Many food choices here and freshly cooked at great prices.

The otop bars area

otop.jpg

You and me seafood at the top is pretty good with many food choices

There is a good start for you.

Lot's of locals type places around.  You will often find good food at great prices at the locals places.

if in doubt ask a thai person they know the places.  Even better offer to buy a girl lunch or dinner and she might take you on a great adventure and you might just get a new friend out of the deal as well.

Archived