IGNORED

This Is the Best Time to Buy a Plane Ticket

QuotaMan

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/best-time-buy-plane-ticket-113010235.html

Most travelers know they should purchase plane tickets in advance if they want to save money on seats. But too much preparation can actually lead to a more expensive flight.

A new study from CheapAir.com has revealed that the best time to buy a domestic plane ticket is, on average, 54 days before the scheduled flight.

The study found that “first dibs” tickets -- six to 11 months in advance -- tend to be on the higher side, as flights have just opened and airlines are less desperate to make sales. Even “peace of mind” tickets -- three and a half to six months in advance -- can have moderately pricey fares, though there are typically more affordable fares than first dibs. Three weeks to three and a half months is the “prime booking window.” Any shorter and you’ll “push your luck” (two to three weeks) or risk a “Hail Mary” (zero to two weeks).

"The most important rule is fairly obvious: don't wait until the last minute, as that rarely works out,” Jeff Klee, CEO of CheapAir, said in a statement. “But beyond that, you also want to be careful not to buy too early. I always suggest that travelers check fares early and often and get familiar with the market. Then, when you see a good deal pop up, grab it, because it likely won't last very long."

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

I usually buy Emirates 6-9 months early, a pretty good deal last time but i did notice good deals were available months later. I'll delay buying this time

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I usually buy Emirates 6-9 months early, a pretty good deal last time but i did notice good deals were available months later. I'll delay buying this time

My first trip in November I bought the ticket in March from Emirates as you say it was cheaper a few months later, if I had waited till I month before it was a lot more espensive but if I had altered my dates slightly they were more reasonable. But I did get to book a good seat :D

Just got thai air for september for 450 quid which i thought was good.

The cheap tickets are great

BUT

The dates are fixed - so any changes will cost the same as the ticket ie they are not flexible - or pay a fee to change

For UK Members - if you want to see the Fare Rules look at  the flight you choose via NetFlights they have a Fare Rules option and that will tell you exactly what is going on

I prefer to book flexible tickets and pay more

Never needed to change a main flight, ever.

Can't imagine many others do either.

Whats the problem? Work issues, wanting to stay longer??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

A whole heap of reasons

My main point was to those who may not know that the cheap tickets are un-changeable

Last trip i decided to go a month earlier, emirates charged £75 which isn't too bad, so for me it depends how much the increased flexibility costs.

One advantage to booking a long time in advance, ie further away than the 21-105 days mentioned above, is that all the good seats are usually available in the select your seat option.  I prefer Economy, but in one of the no-seat-in-front-of-me seats at the front of the block, ideally the aisle one.  Usually these cost about €70 more when specially selected for the long haul Europe-Bangkok, which I think is fine and better value than Premium Economy or Business.  If you book many months in advance, all these best seats are available for seat selection, but closer to the flight date they've often already been taken.

4 hours ago, taylor1975 said:

My last 2 trips I booked for 27 and 28 days..... I ended up booking new tickets home on each occasion on the 30 day mark. I book using FF points so it was only $50usd to cancel the original flights rather than fare difference though.. If I were up for 100s I'd just keep original dates. 

Clearly some of you are just indecisive [emoji4][emoji4]

37 minutes ago, taylor1975 said:

Clearly some of you are just indecisive emoji4.pngemoji4.png

Let me think about that :D

Paid $779 r/t on Singapore Airlines out of IAH (Houston) tonight for trip less than a month away.  Never book extremely early.  Cheapest I have ever paid. 

• 1 month later...

Because of work I always book about 6 weeks from departure this gives me flexibility with my employer and it usually gives me a few extra days to tag onto my trip.

I find that travelling from London with my airline of choice Thai airways I usually find that I only end us paying an extra £50 or so. A small price to pay for a few extra days holiday

Moral of the story book when it suits you best!

I took early retirement in 2013 so I know that I am unlikely to want to change my flights once I've booked them.

Last December I spent a 28 nights in Thailand and I booked my flights in February with the Emirates. I booked with the Emirates in February because they had some special offers on.  I ended up paying £604 which is not bad for the Christmas/New Year period.  If I had booked my flights a few days earlier I would have payed just under £600.

I've already booked my flights for this December with Emirates because they had special offers on again.  And I was able to use my airmiles I had earned from last years flight to bring the price down even more.

Just out of interest I fly from Manchester when I book my flights

i always booked as soon as I return so I have a choice of lay over times and choice of seats cannot stand a layover of more than 2 hours...just want to get to pattaya and start having fun

7 hours ago, sean coast said:

i always booked as soon as I return so I have a choice of lay over times and choice of seats cannot stand a layover of more than 2 hours...just want to get to pattaya and start having fun

Nowadays choice of seats are important to me so thats one reason to book early. I always want an aisle seat at the front or near to the front of economy.  And I also dont like to be in transit to long as it takes long enough to travel to Thailand without having to have long transit times

On 09/04/2017 at 4:05 PM, taylor1975 said:

Agree + 1. Booked over 50 flights to LOS and have NEVER changed any of my flight dates.

On 2017-4-9 at 11:05 AM, taylor1975 said:

I have changed flights or cancelled 25% of the time in the last 10 years. I buy refundable and changeable tickets but rarely do I buy restricted tickets. I am not sure if I ever have in the last 10-12 years. 

I am returning to Pattaya after 3 1/2 years and my ticket I bought this week was 26% lower than the price I paid in 2013. Pays the hotel in Pattaya and Bangkok with the difference.

And half the price of my first trip but that's because Cathay dropped 777's with first class on my route.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2017 at 10:11 AM, socrates said:

The cheap tickets are great

BUT

The dates are fixed - so any changes will cost the same as the ticket ie they are not flexible - or pay a fee to change

For UK Members - if you want to see the Fare Rules look at  the flight you choose via NetFlights they have a Fare Rules option and that will tell you exactly what is going on

I was just thinking about change fees. My problem is the dates are a bit difficult to nail down. Also I limit my flights to Delta due to status, and points...so it makes it a bit limiting. I know its not the cheapest way, but I like the lounges, and the free point stuff. 

I just looked at dates in Sept and they are $750. I paid $1200 last week for a July visit. Has anyone played the change fee game? I myself need to research the costs...but could I have bought the Sept flights, and changed them to July?

Booked in Nov direct with Emirates saver ticket MAN-BKK for Mid-Aug at £470.00   Price now £771.00 !

Booking early also gave me the availability of booking good seats,

I was shopping around for dates routes. I stumbled across Turkish Arline flying out from Birmingham-Bangkok. Mid June - mid July . Less than 400

• 2 weeks later...

I hope your change over time in Istanbul is long  enough.

we found that Istanbul airport check in times in case of flight change there (most likely) can be very long due to long queues. If short, make sure you get from exit of one flight to the next gate A.s.a.p.

I just booked my trip last week 10/19-11/20 from Cleveland Ohio for $880 US with United (ANA mostly). That's the cheapest I have ever paid (usually $12-1300). Thanks to skyscanner.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

There are plenty of studies about domestic airfares (like the one the OP posted), but I've yet to see a similar study for international flights.

If you want a better experience with your "date"... read, learn, live the following:

https://forum.pattaya-addicts.com/topic/22263-vetting-bar-girls-and-how-to-pass-their-own-vett

Archived