IGNORED

Upper respiratory infection every trip

kakebur

How many of you guys swim in the hotel pool ?

I don't use the pool or swim in the sea so wasn't a factor for my x4 infections. For a period of around 4 weeks the air quality in Pattaya did get quite poor. Thais were getting colds too.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thailand is a dirty place for farangs.

We aren't used to their filth.

The A/C filters are always clogged.

I usually get fungus rot between my toes after a trip to LOS.

Maybe its the carpet or the way they do my laundry, so but I bring a tube of Clotrimazole from the .99c store and apply it liberally. Wear slippers in the room.  Problem solved.

Also do my my own machine washing with extra soap.

Now I can wear my clothes and they don't stink after a couple of hours.

Thailand is a dirty place for farangs.

We aren't used to their filth.

The A/C filters are always clogged.

I usually get fungus rot between my toes after a trip to LOS.

Maybe its the carpet or the way they do my laundry, so but I bring a tube of Clotrimazole from the .99c store and apply it liberally. Wear slippers in the room.  Problem solved.

Also do my my own machine washing with extra soap.

Now I can wear my clothes and they don't stink after a couple of hours.

The foot rot is not just a hygiene problem you can wash your feet as much as you can but if you don't dry them thoroughly you will get problems,buy a roll of kitchen paper and dry between the toes.

The foot rot is not just a hygiene problem you can wash your feet as much as you can but if you don't dry them thoroughly you will get problems,buy a roll of kitchen paper and dry between the toes.

I've never had that in my life, so there must be more to it

1) clean ac it filter in shower under hot water

2) carry hand sanitiser and use regularly throughout the day

3) get a saline nasal spray, use twice a day, most important is use throughout long flights to stop mucas membranes drying in the nose.

Follow these 3 steps and it should greatly reduce your chance of respiratory issues, no#3 is the most important, if the nose days out bacteria and virus can easily enter into your system.

Will follow this + no alcohol and not going down on em.

4 weeks in and no problems at all so far,not using the aircon only a fan, balcony Doors wide open at all times,and I am in Jomtien not pattaya do have to use ear plugs though.and I don't go within three meters of the sea.

4 weeks in and no problems at all so far,not using the aircon only a fan, balcony Doors wide open at all times,and I am in Jomtien not pattaya do have to use ear plugs though.and I don't go within three meters of the sea.

The last few weeks the air quality has been a lot better, people don't seem to be getting it now

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

im back for a week and didnt get sick on this trip luckely.

i saw a lot of people, including bar girls coughing and shit but even kissed with some of them and nothing happened.

what i did is turn off the aircon at night, good tip. Once or twice i forgot to close it and my throat felt dry as fk already. 

Also i think the saline nasal spray helped in the airplane but didnt use it on my return flight.

I think air cons are a red herring. Most people are ok now but its the same air con

Most of the time it's a allergy rather then bacterial infection, when you start getting early symptoms start taking an anti histamine called fexofenadine 120mg twice a day for three days and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Living sober,clean and staying away from loose women doesn't make a man live any longer. It just fucking feels like it.

• 4 months later...

I was sick for the first time on a week-long trip.  I changed rooms and had bad aircon in both rooms in the same hotel - wasn't cleaned properly.   One girl was either sick when I met her or heading downhill, so mayby that was it.  Being sick really ruined my trip.

I think a great sticky thread for this forum would be a medical advice thread (preferred doctors/clinics/pharmacies), with an emphasis on getting back up and around as quickly as possible after getting sick.

I was sick for the first time on a week-long trip.  I changed rooms and had bad aircon in both rooms in the same hotel - wasn't cleaned properly.   One girl was either sick when I met her or heading downhill, so mayby that was it.  Being sick really ruined my trip.
I think a great sticky thread for this forum would be a medical advice thread (preferred doctors/clinics/pharmacies), with an emphasis on getting back up and around as quickly as possible after getting sick.
Try to sleep with a fan, I use to get similar chest infections. I think the switch from the overnight cold air and the heat of the day allows the infections to take hold. Cool down the room with the AC and then switches to the fan. No harm trying...

Sent from my SM-T530 using Tapatalk

Daryle

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem - never sick at home and bad sinus & chest infections regularly in Thailand.  I also travel about half the time around the world with no issues elsewhere - to be fair, my longest duration flights and trip durations are in Thailand.  I try to get enough sleep, try to avoid ac directly on me, have turned ac up some, have a saline spray, and a flonase spray.

I carry around a prescription for moxifloxacin hcl in case it gets really bad.

Archived