IGNORED

Areca Lodge - a Lottellee Winna Review

LOTTELLEE WINNA

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to stay here in January, I know someone mentioned they have 2 gyms at this hotel. Can you post pics, just want to see what type of equipment they have (i.e free weights or machines). Thanks in advance...

The "gyms" are an absolute joke, of the 4 treadmills only one is in working condition. The cross trainers are like something out of the Flinstones.

Everything is so tired and dirty, especially the flooring. Whilst the rest of the hotel is scrupulously clean, I have never seen anyone cleaning in there.

Also there is no Air Con, so you will be sweating like a monkey.

Damn, might have to look elsewhere for a hotel with a decent gym. I stick to my work out routine even when on Vacation/Holiday. Any recommendation for Hotels with decent gyms (that wont make too much of a dent to my wallet)?

Purescience’s response is partly incorrect.  There are two Gyms, the larger one next to the Cabana pool in the Areca bldg. does have AC.  The smaller Sky Fitness gym by the Blue Ocean pool does not have AC, only fans.

I stayed at Areca 3x in 2012 and 2014 and all gym equipment and AC worked fine.  Attached are 4 photos (AC switch, Cardio, Dumbbells, Machines) of the larger gym gym w/AC in the Areca bldg, so you may want to reconsider your decision to stay here.

post-38627-0-48533600-1471696397_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-80461500-1471696399_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-95270600-1471696401_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-20945400-1471696404_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-48533600-1471696397_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-80461500-1471696399_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-95270600-1471696401_thumb.jpg

post-38627-0-20945400-1471696404_thumb.jpg

Purescience’s response is partly incorrect.  There are two gyms, the larger one next to the Cabana pool in the Areca bldg. does have AC.  The smaller Sky Fitness gym by the Blue Ocean pool does not have AC, only fans.

I stayed at Areca 3x in 2012 and 2014 and all gym equipment and AC worked fine. 

I'm here at Areca now for my 10th stay. Neither of the Gyms have AC. What you are mistaking for AC in the Areca building is just a big noisy fan that just swirls the hot air around. It's a tiny bit cooler than the Sky Fitness gym, but only because it has a bit more shade. All 3 lobbies and the restaurant in the Areca building are open air, and they're broiling hot this time of year.

The gym that was in the Avenue shopping center next door (California Wow) has been closed for years, but they are working to reopen it. There's a big sign that says "Opeming Soon", whatever that means.

The Marriott has the only air conditioned gym that I can find, but it's crazy expensive at almost 6,000 THB per month.

There is a thread on here somewhere that addresses all of these issues.

no aircon??????

Worked fine every time I've been there.

I'm here at Areca now for my 10th stay. Neither of the gyms have AC. What you are mistaking for AC in the Areca building is just a big noisy fan that just swirls the hot air around. It's a tiny bit cooler than the Sky Fitness gym, but only because it has a bit more shade. All 3 lobbies and the restaurant in the Areca building are open air, and they're broiling hot this time of year....

The AC in the Areca bldg gym worked fine for weblo and me.  I had to turn on the AC switch then, close all the open doors/windows since the AC is normally turned off and doors/windows are left open when no one is in the gym.  I was able to bike/jog daily for 1 hr with the AC in this gym, but I could not bike/jog in the Sky Fitness gym w/o AC for 10 min since it was significantly hotter.  I stayed at Areca a total of 28 nights over 3 stays in the past and I normally work out daily in the larger AC gym for 1 hr/day and the AC always worked fine.

The AC in the Areca bldg gym worked fine for weblo and me.  I had to turn on the AC switch then, close all the open doors/windows since the AC is normally turned off and doors/windows are left open when no one is in the gym.  I was able to bike/jog daily for 1 hr with the AC in this gym, but I could not bike/jog in the Sky Fitness gym w/o AC for 10 min since it was significantly hotter.  I stayed at Areca a total of 28 nights over 3 stays in the past and I normally work out daily in the larger AC gym for 1 hr/day and the AC always worked fine.

Perhaps you were here in the cooler season or you can tolerate higher temperatures, because neither gym is air conditioned, and they won't be for the foreseeable future. I've had this discussion with each of the last 3 hotel managers, and they all told me the same thing...that the owner of the hotel will not spend the money to install and operate air conditioning in the Gyms. I'm sure that you noticed that the adjacent lobbies and restaurant are also not air conditioned, so it would cost a fortune to air condition a gym that gets very little use. The owner prefers to keep his hotel rates affordable, and that is just one of the compromises that he's chosen. And the widows in the gym no longer open; thy screwed them shut. The only ventilation is from the previously mentioned hidden fan and the air that flows in through the large sliding doors.

The reason that the gym in the Areca building is cooler is because it's on the ground floor of a 6 story hotel, so it is shaded by the structure above. The Sky Fitness gym is a stand alone building with a metal roof that intensifies the heat from the sun.

And I'm here for my 10th stay of 29 nights each, so I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of this hotel. I wish it were as you say, but unfortunately it's not.

Purescience’s response is partly incorrect.  There are two gyms, the larger one next to the Cabana pool in the Areca bldg. does have AC.  The smaller Sky Fitness gym by the Blue Ocean pool does not have AC, only fans.

I stayed at Areca 3x in 2012 and 2014 and all gym equipment and AC worked fine.  Attached are 4 photos (AC switch, Cardio, Dumbbells, Machines) of the larger gym gym w/AC in the Areca bldg, so you may want to reconsider your decision to stay here.

Thanks for the pics, joeaf! Just one question, I'm assuming you can go to either gym? Or does it depend on what tower/building you're staying in?

//

Thanks for the pics, joeaf! Just one question, I'm assuming you can go to either gym? Or does it depend on what tower/building you're staying in?

Yes, you can use either gym. It's not dependent on the room type.

All the facilities can be used which ever building you are staying in.Another thing breakfast finishes in one restaurant at 0930 but I believe the one in the Evergreen wing continues to 1030 you can use either. 

Yes, you can use either gym. It's not dependent on the room type.

Cool, appreciate the info.

All the facilities can be used which ever building you are staying in.Another thing breakfast finishes in one restaurant at 0930 but I believe the one in the Evergreen wing continues to 1030 you can use either. 

Pretty much read my mind (that was going to be my next question), most hotels in Bangkok (the one's I stayed at) ended their Breakfast at 10:00AM. Thanks for the info...

//

Thanks for the pics, joeaf! ...

If you go to the Areca website under facilities, they have two photos of equipment in the Sky Fitness gym and their Fitness Center gym.  If you want more gym photos, contact me and I’ll send you more photos of both Gyms.

http://www.arecalodge.com/facilities.html

Damn, might have to look elsewhere for a hotel with a decent gym. I stick to my work out routine even when on Vacation/Holiday. Any recommendation for Hotels with decent gyms (that wont make too much of a dent to my wallet)?

If air con gym is a must for you the try Pattaya Blue Sky on Soi 5, big air con gym on top floor next to pool. Cool water and towels provided. Price on Agoda is 1000 baht a night including taxes.  Great place

Great review LW. I really like the Areca and have stayed a few times. As a few others have said, the best way to Evergreen is 50 metres to Soi 15 and then through The Avenue shopping mall.  But I like the overall size of the place, you can sit next to one of the two pools and almost feel you are in a resort hotel and pool side food and drink service is very good. Last trip they even had those little remote control devices so that you could call one of the waiters over to your lounger and give him your order. 

Best value for money in its class.

There are better hotels but you have to pay an awful lot more to beat it plus location, location, location.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an upcoming stay in the Evergreen wing. Would it be best to have my taxi drop me off at the rear entrance on Buakhaow 15? 

• 3 weeks later...

1st class review.Should take it up as a living.                                                                                                                                                                                                       Ben.

• 2 weeks later...

1st class review.Should take it up as a living.                                                                                                                                                                                                       Ben.

Thanks for the compliment mate - it's appreciated.

Best value for money in its class.

There are better hotels but you have to pay an awful lot more to beat it plus location, location, location.

I dont agree.LK Metropole,is just around the corner,with better,and nicer rooms.

Nicer breakfast buffet,and gym too.Besides their PCs,are for free.(at Areca you have to pay)

Their rooms are also cheaper,than Arecas.

Would love to stay at Areca based on the many recommendations from friends and members of this board. However, it is always booked out months in advance for the periods that I am in town. Next trip I am staying at the Empress. Last three trips were at Metropole. I like them both, but still keen to try Areca one day.

I dont agree.LK Metropole,is just around the corner,with better,and nicer rooms.

Nicer breakfast buffet,and gym too.Besides their PCs,are for free.(at Areca you have to pay)

Their rooms are also cheaper,than Arecas.

It is just as well we all have different opinions as we would all want to stay in the same hotel!!!!

I much prefer Areca to Metropole, didn't rate the breakfast at all in Metropole, the pool is more of a plunge pool than a swimming pool and don't like the 'old fashioned' look of the rooms.  I have also found it usually to be marginally dearer than Areca.

It is just as well we all have different opinions as we would all want to stay in the same hotel!!!!

I much prefer Areca to Metropole, didn't rate the breakfast at all in Metropole, the pool is more of a plunge pool than a swimming pool and don't like the 'old fashioned' look of the rooms.  I have also found it usually to be marginally dearer than Areca.

I like the Areca rooms and breakfast but dont like the staff at reception found them to be a bit rude to the girls.

I stay at the LK Metropole for my monthly stays which the Areca comes nowhere close to the price...about 20k more. The room is without breakfast which is ok because the buffet is crap.

Most of the super deluxe and superior rooms are booked for the period I"m looking at. Is it worth it to do an Executive Room booking in the Areca section or is just a deluxe room good enough?  Thanks for any info. In other words, if you weren't able to book a superior or super deluxe and could afford the extra $20 USD would you suggest an Executive room or a deluxe, etc?  Thanks....

nice place for money,always busy only thing I don't like is the forced 2000 bt fee for the Christmas song and dance dinner, other than that I never had a problem there

Archived