IGNORED

Areca Lodge - a Lottellee Winna Review

LOTTELLEE WINNA

In the last 5 years of visiting Patts I have stayed in over 30 hotels and guest houses, but this was my first visit to the iconic Areca Lodge. Let me say straight away that I consider this to be one of my favorites. Areca is guest friendly and very welcoming to the girls (just note under 20 years guests are not permitted). Your welcome kicks off at the front desk with a fruit cocktail - quick check-in with very friendly staff and then the bellhop takes your bag upstairs to your 'loom'.

I stayed in the most modern of the 3 wings (Evergreen) and the up-to-date rooms are spacious and comfortable and have great amenities (comfy bed, first rate wifi, large in-room safe, tea/coffee, fridge/mini-bar, flat screen TV with international channels). The bathroom is very nice and I really enjoyed the luxury of having a bath, (I live in Thailand and we don't have one at home) - note: some guys don't like a shower over the bath, but this is how it is here. I had a decent size balcony with side-pool view and even a clothes horse to dry my swimming stuff. The hotel maids are the best I have come across - this is the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed in bar none (guys a 20 THB left on the bed daily is hugely appreciated by the maids).

The grounds and pool area of the hotel is very large and  meticulously maintained. It feels like a luxury countryside lodge while swimming in their main pool even though the hotel is smack bang in the center of Pattaya. Location is the trump card of Areca, you are close to everything and easy walking distance to central mall and Pattaya beach - LK Metro is right on your doorstep. One of the few negatives I can give is that the grounds are so large that it is over 200 metres from the front door of the Evergreen Wing to the main entrance on soi Diana.

The food is to a high standard - breakfast (included in the room rate) was pretty good, eggs cooked to order and plenty of choice (Thai and falang). Every meal I have had was delicious and reasonably priced.  

The staff are always warm, friendly and smiling and you get to experience the true feeling and warmth of Thai hospitality at Areca Lodge.

There is a very nice ambiance at the cafe de Blanc, beer garden bar - a quiet happy hour beer or cocktail is a great way to get your night off on the right foot.

While you can book via Agoda or the other big companies, you can also book direct (email or phone). I simply called them the night before to make a reservation (another reason for visiting Patts in low season). I paid around 1,700 THB pn (inc breakfast). I joined the ACE club for 890THB and this gave me 10% off the room rate and a 15% discount on food and (non alcoholic) drinks.

I really liked this hotel, my only slight gripe is that it is a little bit of a walk to the Evergreen Wing - next time I might try the Corona Wing (room with pool view)...anyone care to share their experiences about the Corona Wing? All in all, a really good hotel - I shall certainly return.

Lottelle Winna Rating: 8.5 / 10

IMG_3221.JPG

IMG_3222.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

IMG_3234.JPG

IMG_3236.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Booked for November thanks for the report, did you happen to get a price list at the bar mini bar price looks reasonable.

Booked for November thanks for the report, did you happen to get a price list at the bar mini bar price looks reasonable.

Sorry mate - I didn't take a picture of the bar price list, but from memory it's reasonable. A small beer was (I think) 60 THB.

Have they changed the girl age policy again? It was 18+ when I stayed there in March 2015, they had a notice on the reception desk. 

When I first stayed there in 2008 they had that 20+ policy back then.

Have they changed the girl age policy again? It was 18+ when I stayed there in March 2015, they had a notice on the reception desk. 

When I first stayed there in 2008 they had that 20+ policy back then.

I have always assumed it was 20+, if I am wrong then I stand corrected.

LW,

Is that a super de luxe room as Areca calls it?

LW,

Is that a super de luxe room as Areca calls it?

Yes mate, it is a little confusing - but (as I understand it), a Super Deluxe = the Evergreen Wing. Not at all straightforward when looking at the various booking websites.

Really nice review, many thanks!

Am I right that the view from the balcony is not the very best (50% on some roofs and 50% to the pool)? I'm just asking because sometimes I like to sit on the balcony and watch "the world going by" but spotting on a rooftop might not be the best way of doing so ;-)

Really nice review, many thanks!

Am I right that the view from the balcony is not the very best (50% on some roofs and 50% to the pool)? I'm just asking because sometimes I like to sit on the balcony and watch "the world going by" but spotting on a rooftop might not be the best way of doing so ;-)

Thanks for the feedback mate - appreciated. Yes mate, my room was a 'side-pool' view. Look ahead and you are looking at the Apartment complex (and it's pool) opposite, turn your chair to the right and you are looking at Areca pool.

LW, is there a shower curtain in the bathroom or does water splash all over the place?

You got a pretty good price for the Super Deluxe room. I'm now considering Areca for my Nov trip and it's at more than B2000 on Agoda.

Thanks for the review and your other one. I'll give Lone Star a try in Sep

I agree with what most of LW review about Areca and the Evergreen Wing, with one exception, the breakfast is mediocre and it's OK to eat but nothing to write home about, its like many hotel breakfasts in Pattaya in the 3-3+ category, the true 4 and 5 star hotels, usually have a very good brekkie.

Here is a tip for guys who wants a better breakfast ( or wake up to late 5555) with good coffee. Go out the back way from Evergreen and take a right outside the gates and pass 7/11...Then walk trough the mall and cross 2nd RD and walk down Soi13 (( about 50 m) to the Sportman for a great Breakfast, they also have good Thai food ( good if your GF or bed warmer for the night tags along).

It maximum takes 5 minutes ( likely 3 minutes) from your hotel room at Evergreen to the Sportsman.

Agree with duffmaster..a good report from LW about the Areca....and there is indeed an entrance at the back that you can get into the action than going out the Soi Diane entrance.

Also Areca has dropped the age to +18 ... approx. about just over a year or so ago.

I can understand LW has the like for a bathtub... I do also... but to have the shower in the bath tub to me is a bit of a no no in this day and age... either have both or just the shower...and also with most hotels having the tiled floors and not all non slip tiles... it can be a little dangerous.

Other than that... Areca is a good place to stay.. in a good location... excellent staff... very guest friendly..and worth a visit.

cheers

LW, is there a shower curtain in the bathroom or does water splash all over the place?

You got a pretty good price for the Super Deluxe room. I'm now considering Areca for my Nov trip and it's at more than B2000 on Agoda.

Thanks for the review and your other one. I'll give Lone Star a try in Sep

As I understand it, if you contact Areca direct and inform them that you will be joining (890 THB) the ACE club,then this gives you 10% off your room rate +15% off food and (non alchohol) drinks - so might be worth joining.

Yes mate a very good shower curtain - no mess.

I agree with what most of LW review about Areca and the Evergreen Wing, with one exception, the breakfast is mediocre and it's OK to eat but nothing to write home about, its like many hotel breakfasts in Pattaya in the 3-3+ category, the true 4 and 5 star hotels, usually have a very good brekkie.

Here is a tip for guys who wants a better breakfast ( or wake up to late 5555) with good coffee. Go out the back way from Evergreen and take a right outside the gates and pass 7/11...Then walk trough the mall and cross 2nd RD and walk down Soi13 (( about 50 m) to the Sportman for a great Breakfast, they also have good Thai food ( good if your GF or bed warmer for the night tags along).

It maximum takes 5 minutes ( likely 3 minutes) from your hotel room at Evergreen to the Sportsman.

While the breakfast at Areca is in my view 'good', this is in the context of a 3 star hotel (and 3 star prices). I agree that in a 4 or 5 star hotel breakfasts are better - my first trip to Patts was on business, so I stayed at the 5 star Royal Cliff - wow - breakfast was a veritable banquet, cooked and presented to the highest culinary standards. Of course the room rate was twice that of Areca...but as I was on expenses so no probs  :WinkGrin1:

As I understand it, if you contact Areca direct and inform them that you will be joining (890 THB) the ACE club,then this gives you 10% off your room rate +15% off food and (non alchohol) drinks - so might be worth joining.

Yes mate a very good shower curtain - no mess.

You're spot on about the Ace Club at Areca, but I'd like to mention that you can only use the discounts if you've booked directly with the hotel.

It's their way of saving the 10 to 15 percent commission that hotels pay to the online booking agents if your booking is made through one of them.

And the 890 THB fee is good for one year. It's one of the best deals ever, providing that you stay long enough to save the cost of the membership. That works out to about 6 nights per year.

Great place to stay as I did many times years n years ago in the Evergreen ..but wish they had a decent shower like you get in VT6, not into shower curtains myself. Think when I stayed back in 2009 it was 1800B for a room 

Overall I agree with LW 8.5 /10 great place to stay but as I have my own pad now its just fond memories of Areca :-)

Breakfast for me was always quite good, omelette s to order, English bacon sausage, tons of food.

Why wpuld I go somewhere else. .

Breakfast for me was always quite good, omelette s to order, English bacon sausage, tons of food.

Why wpuld I go somewhere else. .

I always load up with a mega breakfast. Fruit juice, fresh fruit and yoghurt, omlettete to order + bacon + sausages + beans + toast, and then maybe a pastry. Washed down of course with lots of tea or coffee. That keeps me going for most of the day - I try and burn it off golfing or in the gym.

I do not stay at Areca anymore. I was such a frequent stayer that unless I got the BF to let them keep/copy card we just walked by reception front of house and in Evergreen. I usually never made breakfast and when I did usually my BF was not interested (usually almost comatose) The pool I only used a few of times and came home with an ear infection both trips that I swam.The 2 Gyms were OK if you are a disciplined user, do not expect the staff to help,in fact lovely lady as she was most of the time it was supervised by an older lady who had little English. I realise the need for commercial change,it is about making money but my last stay was at the height of the Russian invasion and forgive me, the family resort type invasion. If I was the CEO/owner I would be chasing every buck so I cannot fault them and fortunately for me I have found a "sanctuary" close by for about a third of the price, admittedly no pools, no gym no room service other than the normal cleaning etc 

Great place to stay as I did many times years n years ago in the Evergreen ..but wish they had a decent shower like you get in VT6, not into shower curtains myself. Think when I stayed back in 2009 it was 1800B for a room 

Overall I agree with LW 8.5 /10 great place to stay but as I have my own pad now its just fond memories of Areca :-)

..also forgot to mention when I stayed there I hooked up with one of the cleaning ladys who I found out later was married..GreatBJ :-)

I really liked this hotel, my only slight gripe is that it is a little bit of a walk to the Evergreen Wing - next time I might try the Corona Wing (room with pool view)...anyone care to share their experiences about the Corona Wing? All in all, a really good hotel - I shall certainly return.

I actually prefer the Corona Wing, the rooms are newer and nicer in Evergreen but I like the view from the Corona pool side rooms better.  Rooms size is a little smaller but not much and have more or less the same facilities,TV,  tea/coffee, hair dryer (if I had enough hair!). When available I take the Corona Wing over the Evergreen wing.  I have stayed in the original Areca wing too but still prefer the Corona, but go for a room from floor 3 up as they have bigger rooms and smaller balconies!

I do not stay at Areca anymore. I was such a frequent stayer that unless I got the BF to let them keep/copy card we just walked by reception front of house and in Evergreen. I usually never made breakfast and when I did usually my BF was not interested (usually almost comatose) The pool I only used a few of times and came home with an ear infection both trips that I swam.The 2 gyms were OK if you are a disciplined user, do not expect the staff to help,in fact lovely lady as she was most of the time it was supervised by an older lady who had little English. I realise the need for commercial change,it is about making money but my last stay was at the height of the Russian invasion and forgive me, the family resort type invasion. If I was the CEO/owner I would be chasing every buck so I cannot fault them and fortunately for me I have found a "sanctuary" close by for about a third of the price, admittedly no pools, no gym no room service other than the normal cleaning etc 

Can you share the name and info on your new "sanctuary"?  I would be interested to find a more affordable lodging than the Areca...

Archived