Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

5 minute wait at immigration in bkk airport.

skorp

twice now in last few months ive been made to wait longer than usual when coming in and passing out of tbkk airport.  this is worrying,  is there or could there be some type of red flag against me ? 

ive visited now this year 4 times allready.      14 - 21 day stints with only one 2 day overstay about a year ago. 

yestarday on way through he studyed the computer for around 5 minutes reading something and going over me,  i really thought i was going to be pulled up on something.   but what !

Any reply is going to be little more than speculation. You should have asked if there was a problem as you don't even know if there is one or not.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Any reply is going to be little more than speculation. You should have asked if there was a problem as you don't even know if there is one or not.

well why would there not be , i mean 5-10 minutes each time as the officer scrolled through what was on the system ,  plus do you expect me to ask an immigration officer what if anything is wrong while hundreds of frustrated people queue up behind me ?    most times you are lucky to get a smile back at immigration ,  your passport is usually slapped on the table with a cursory wave of the back of the hand ......bye loi  !!

c,mon  !!

twice now in last few months ive been made to wait longer than usual when coming in and passing out of tbkk airport.  this is worrying,  is there or could there be some type of red flag against me ? 

ive visited now this year 4 times allready.      14 - 21 day stints with only one 2 day overstay about a year ago. 

yestarday on way through he studyed the computer for around 5 minutes reading something and going over me,  i really thought i was going to be pulled up on something.   but what !

Been a lot of posts like this in the past 6 months…..I presume you did not have a tourist visa from your own country? If so same happened to me and I was told I had too many visits and would require a visa from UK next time or be refused entry.

well why would there not be , i mean 5-10 minutes each time as the officer scrolled through what was on the system ,  plus do you expect me to ask an immigration officer what if anything is wrong while hundreds of frustrated people queue up behind me ?    most times you are lucky to get a smile back at immigration ,  your passport is usually slapped on the table with a cursory wave of the back of the hand ......bye loi  !!

c,mon  !!

Perhaps was was pretending to do something as he was a slack prick with a hangover and was having problems thinking....lol

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

You visit too mutt? :Dunno:

See other threads posted recently with similar stories and indications that Immigrations is cracking down on visitors using multiple visa exemptions in a short span of time, and wanting them to get regular visas instead if they're planning to come in-and-out like you describe.

Sounds like you probably were red flagged but seemed to not bother to say anything to you,maybe they will next time

Silence and smiling is your best move.

If they don't say anything, no need to speak.

If they speak, just smile and be polite.

Your best option is not to appear agitated.

was kinda shittin myself !!

ive been in and out 5-6 times a year mostly on a 2 to 3  week stints ,  and why wouldnt thai immigration want you coming here to spend your money ?   

seems like a stupid as fuck thing to do to penalise guys who are only here to spend hard cash ..idiots

There is a whole thread on this. Apparently new policy is supposed to limit stamp on arrival visa exemptions to 3 per 12 month period. Enforcement seems sporadic though.

was kinda shittin myself !!

ive been in and out 5-6 times a year mostly on a 2 to 3  week stints ,  and why wouldnt thai immigration want you coming here to spend your money ?   

seems like a stupid as fuck thing to do to penalise guys who are only here to spend hard cash ..idiots

Does it really matter what the motivation is? From many reports it appears that they are getting more strict. The message that people need to heed is that at present those entering on the visa waiver scheme must to be watchful of how often they enter. The more times you enter in a short period of time the higher the risk that you will have issues. People need to make decisions based on the level of risk they can accept.

Sorry but this is nonsense..As i previously posted it has been going on for 6 months…..smiling won't help

smiling won't help

Being agitated, angry, and annoyed certainly won't help either.

Others have now clarified the policy of number of stamps within a 12-month period, but manners and behavior is oftentimes key, with most any situation, in Pattaya.

Being agitated, angry, and annoyed certainly won't help either.

Others have now clarified the policy of number of stamps within a 12-month period, but manners and behavior is oftentimes key, with most any situation, in Pattaya.

Being agitate angry and annoyed won't help anywhere, let alone Thailand.

I was trying to help the OP with my own personal experience, likewise many of my friends…thinking you can "get by" with a good attitude and a smiley demeanour is poor advice in this instance

They are cracking down for sure. I guy I know who has family in Thailand but works in another country and comes to visit every couple of months has just been flagged. No more come Thailand. Can't even visit his family till visa is sorted.

Don't chance the tourist visa thing. Long term you will be done if you visit frequently

a good attitude and a smiley demeanour is poor advice in this instance

ive been made to wait ... for around 5 minutes

The OP ultimately made it through, in about five minutes nevertheless, while they simply did a little more thorough checking, so yes, being patient, to the contrary, is not poor advice, in either this, or any instance.

There is a whole thread on this. Apparently new policy is supposed to limit stamp on arrival visa exemptions to 3 per 12 month period. Enforcement seems sporadic though.

Sporadic and not very clear either.

I've just returned from my fourth entry this calendar year under visa waiver; I think eight within the 12 month period - never a question or a pause. My visits tend to be 1-10 days.

If it does become an issue, I'll obtain the appropriate visa to avoid a problem.

The only time I bothered with a visa was when my daughter spent the summer in Isaan - it was an easy and straight forward process.

There's obviously been a lot of crackdown with immigration and much of it has recently been discussed on this, as well as other forums (a couple of examples are below).

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/296657-thai-immigration-bureau-guidelines-overstay-provisions/

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/296588-caught-and-deported/

There are positive components to the new policy, and for those who state that the immigration policy is idiotic because they're discouraging paying customers and/or business, there's a lot discussion in one of the recent pricing threads, as well as the inelasticity pricing thread, which discusses the business and tourism advantages of removing problem visitors.

The subject matter in this thread is focused upon multiple entry stamps, exceeding three in a 12-month period.  This is the new policy, so it's best to be aware of the policy and cater it towards your travel patters.  For example, if you're retired and visiting four or more times per year, perhaps it's time to consider a retirement visa.  If you're not yet retired, and employed full-time in your home country, but take multiple vacations per year into Thailand, review the immigration policies regarding tourism visas (if applicable), or consulting with the immigration policies if your situation is unique.

In this case, which only lasted about five minutes, it appears to simply be a matter that takes time to review the notes and/or logs from the previous three-plus visits.  If one does enter multiple times, throughout the year, or has many stamps, then yes, it appears evident that it takes time to review the notes, logs, travel history, etc.  Since I presume that more often than not, a matter that requires elevation is unnecessary, you'll be on your way.  I believe many of us here, myself included, have stood in front of the counter minute(s) longer than some of the less-frequent visitors in comparison.

I have yet to read of any case on this forum, or others, about someone being arrested, pulled aside, denied entry, barred, or processed to be removed from the country.  However, if this were the case, I would presume that there is is far more to the situation than simply being an ordinary visitor exceeding three entries.

So yes, my original advice, 

still applies.

Sporadic and not very clear either.

I've just returned from my fourth entry this calendar year under visa waiver; I think eight within the 12 month period - never a question or a pause. My visits tend to be 1-10 days.

If it does become an issue, I'll obtain the appropriate visa to avoid a problem.

The only time I bothered with a visa was when my daughter spent the summer in Isaan - it was an easy and straight forward process.

It's becoming clearer that Thailand wants true tourists who will come once or twice a year for a week or two, splash their cash, and go home.

Not necessarily those in your situation who (perhaps to Immigrations eyes) appear that they might be 'rotating' in and out of the Kingdom and maybe illegally living or working in Thailand. They're trying to dissuade those using the visa exemption scheme instead of applying for a 'proper' residence or work visa. They began with cracking down on the most obvious visa runners who were abusing the visa exemption to basically live in the country. Now enforcement seems to be expanding to categories like offshore workers and others residing part-time here, and your schedule (10 to 18 weeks a year) could be seen as suspicious like the quoted post below...

They are cracking down for sure. I guy I know who has family in Thailand but works in another country and comes to visit every couple of months has just been flagged. No more come Thailand. Can't even visit his family till visa is sorted.

...Immigrations probably wants those who are arriving often and/or for family purposes to apply for and enter with the 'right kind' of visa instead of doing in-and-outs throughout the year under the visa exemption which as stated in the law and regulations intended strictly for tourism only.

There's obviously been a lot of crackdown with immigration and much of it has recently been discussed on this, as well as other forums (a couple of examples are below).

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/296657-thai-immigration-bureau-guidelines-overstay-provisions/

http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/296588-caught-and-deported/

There are positive components to the new policy, and for those who state that the immigration policy is idiotic because they're discouraging paying customers and/or business, there's a lot discussion in one of the recent pricing threads, as well as

the inelasticity pricing thread, which discusses the business and tourism advantages of removing problem visitors.

The subject matter in this thread is focused upon multiple entry stamps, exceeding three in a 12-month period.  This is the new policy, so it's best to be aware of the policy and cater it towards your travel patters.  For example, if you're retired and visiting four or more times per year, perhaps it's time to consider a retirement visa.  If you're not yet retired, and employed full-time in your home country, but take multiple vacations per year into Thailand, review the immigration policies regarding tourism visas (if applicable), or consulting with the immigration policies if your situation is unique.

In this case, which only lasted about five minutes, it appears to simply be a matter that takes time to review the notes and/or logs from the previous three-plus visits.  If one does enter multiple times, throughout the year, or has many stamps, then yes, it appears evident that it takes time to review the notes, logs, travel history, etc.  Since I presume that more often than not, a matter that requires elevation is unnecessary, you'll be on your way.  I believe many of us here, myself included, have stood in front of the counter minute(s) longer than some of the less-frequent visitors in comparison.

I have yet to read of any case on this forum, or others, about someone being arrested, pulled aside, denied entry, barred, or processed to be removed from the country.  However, if this were the case, I would presume that there is is far more to the situation than simply being an ordinary visitor exceeding three entries.

So yes, my original advice, 

still applies.

No point in getting involved in a war of words with you…..I am telling the OP what happened to me and to many others, i am not surmising. Despite my good attitude and smiley demeanour i was told in no uncertain terms that I would NOT be allowed entry on my next visit without obtaining the correct visa.

I duly did this and there was no issue on entry.

Its up to the OP what advice he chooses to heed……hopefully for his sake it is mine

Archived