Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Any recommendations of Chinese restaurants?

Is Canton House in Central Festival still open ?

it's long gone

I have looked for proper Chinese restaurants as well.

The problem is, Thai seafood and Southeastern Chinese food are pretty similar in style, so I am looking for more northern Chinese cuisine.

Apparently, there are at least 3 proper Chinese restaurants in Pattaya:

- The Royal Cliff has one

- The Montien hotel (I tried that one, it was rather average)

- The Dusit Thani (they have an extensive choice of Dim Sum)

Most of the other Chinese restaurants, and I have tried a few in BKK too are southeastern seafood Chinese, and nearly all fail on the fried rice.

In BKK, one restaurant stood out, it was "crystal jade" in the Emporium which serves excellent fried rice.

As it is a chain restaurant from Singapore, I hope they will open a branch in Pattaya.

The problem is, Thai seafood and Southeastern Chinese food are pretty similar in style, so I am looking for more northern Chinese cuisine.

- The Montien Hotel (I tried that one, it was rather average)

Most of the other Chinese restaurants, and I have tried a few in BKK too are southeastern seafood Chinese, and nearly all fail on the fried rice.

In BKK, one restaurant stood out, it was "crystal jade" in the Emporium which serves excellent fried rice.

As it is a chain restaurant from Singapore, I hope they will open a branch in Pattaya.

Damn, it just seems like getting good Chinese food is so hard, besides knowing a good place in China Town in BKK. 

I looked a little into Crystal jade and it seems like their quality has fallen this year.  Prices up, and taste down.  How many times have we seen that happen in LOS?

I can't believe I ate the whole thing!

- The Montien Hotel (I tried that one, it was rather average)

All very expensive choices for mediocre Chinese...

The Imperial in Pattaya says they have a Dim Sum buffet.. @$599...

Tried many of the "Crystal Jade" places in Singapore... meh... lots have closed in the past year...

Lots of "Chinese" places with only Chinese signage along Pattaya Noi popping up...  Hoping to attract the wayward Chinese Tourist I suspect...

Problem I think is the Thai taste buds want tons of sugar or sugar&chili&sour...  where as I am used to/want a savory&chili palate... (Schezwan/Hunan)...  sigh...  or even a decent noodle (the Thai packaged noodles are lacking...)

"Many branches of Ninja around town."

Where, please?  Anywhere accessible by baht bus and foot?  I'm starting at say soi Diana and an easy journey to and from would be nice.

Near Diana, you're only going to find the 3 english chinese places...  (2 booths on Soi LK at night...Wok&Rok, Chow Mein Charlies), or the place on Soi Chayapoon (across from Triangle Bar)....

"China Garden" is long since dead and buried (Soi Lengkee)...

No Thai BBQ around Diana... so either hop a baht bus north on 3rd road (and back) to Ninja... or there is another place south on 3rd road (4 block north of Pattaya Tai... will have to get the soi # for you)...

Or go to one of the big hotels mentioned above... or find a Chinese tour trough... (but I think they aren't getting real chinese style food either...)...

Good luck

All very expensive choices for mediocre Chinese...

The Imperial in Pattaya says they have a Dim Sum buffet.. @$599...

Tried many of the "Crystal Jade" places in Singapore... meh... lots have closed in the past year...

Lots of "Chinese" places with only Chinese signage along Pattaya Noi popping up...  Hoping to attract the wayward Chinese Tourist I suspect...

Problem I think is the Thai taste buds want tons of sugar or sugar&chili&sour...  where as I am used to/want a savory&chili palate... (Schezwan/Hunan)...  sigh...  or even a decent noodle (the Thai packaged noodles are lacking...)

No hope for Crystal Jade then...

Why is it so difficult to find a place in Pattaya or even Thailand that serves nice Guangzhou/Yangzhou fried rice?

The fried rice has become my number one criterion - if a Chinese restaurant can't serve a proper Guangzhou fried rice, it's not worth bothering further.

No hope for Crystal Jade then...

Why is it so difficult to find a place in Pattaya or even Thailand that serves nice Guangzhou/Yangzhou fried rice?

The fried rice has become my number one criterion - if a Chinese restaurant can't serve a proper Guangzhou fried rice, it's not worth bothering further.

I guess the people who own and operating restaurants don't see enough profit in having a real chinese restaurant.  It is too bad.  I have a powerful Desire for Chinese now. 

I guess the people who own and operating restaurants don't see enough profit in having a real chinese restaurant.  It is too bad.  I have a powerful desire for Chinese now.

in many instances, it's not only owners but also the chefs.

Chefs and cooks in Thailand seem to be quite lazy.

For example, I don't know of any restaurant serving "royal Thai cuisine". When I go to an upscale restaurant, it's not to find bones, cartilages, tree branches and prawn carapaces in my food...

They all seem eager to make the food "good" or "excellent" but aren't willing to go the last mile to take it to perfection.

And good Chinese fried rice takes preparation, not improvisation.

in many instances, it's not only owners but also the chefs.

Chefs and cooks in Thailand seem to be quite lazy.

For example, I don't know of any restaurant serving "royal Thai cuisine". When I go to an upscale restaurant, it's not to find bones, cartilages, tree branches and prawn carapaces in my food...

They all seem eager to make the food "good" or "excellent" but aren't willing to go the last mile to take it to perfection.

And good Chinese fried rice takes preparation, not improvisation.

Ok, I can see you point. That makes a lot of sense. 

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The lack of authentic Chinese food restaurants could be because the Chinese tourists actually want to eat Thai food while traveling, particularly local Thai seafood. Local tiger prawns, rock lobsters, softshell crabs--these things are pricey in China, and the first two are kind of exotic as well. That takes care of main dishes. The rest of a Chinese meal can be just rice and a stir-fried vegetable like morning glory, watercress or Chinese broccoli, and any Thai restaurant can easily make that to a reasonable accurate degree. I also think your average Chinese tourist doesn't stay as long as people on this board, so that craving for home-style food probably doesn't fully kick in during their trip. Just my 2 cents. 

The lack of authentic Chinese food restaurants could be because the Chinese tourists actually want to eat Thai food while traveling, particularly local Thai seafood. Local tiger prawns, rock lobsters, softshell crabs--these things are pricey in China, and the first two are kind of exotic as well. That takes care of main dishes. The rest of a Chinese meal can be just rice and a stir-fried vegetable like morning glory, watercress or Chinese broccoli, and any Thai restaurant can easily make that to a reasonable accurate degree. I also think your average Chinese tourist doesn't stay as long as people on this board, so that craving for home-style food probably doesn't fully kick in during their trip. Just my 2 cents. 

Big Country is China.

Archived