IGNORED

Shanghai restaurant chalermphrakiat

Love this place, its chinese schezwan. The highlights here are there xiao long bao soup dumplings and fresh pulled noodles. I went for lunch 2 times and the chef was pulling noodles for my order. The texture is spot on and the soup was amazing.  I also had the firecracker chicken and mabo tofu which was also excellent.  Its located on chalermphrakiat just before the intersection to pattaya nua. You cant miss it because they have an outside cooking area where the chef does his thing.

WP_20150408_13_00_39_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150405_11_18_17_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150405_11_21_15_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150405_11_20_49_Pro1.jpg

WP_20150405_11_26_36_Pro1.jpg

Forgot to mention that this place is also super clean and tidy, a rarity in pattaya!

I also like this place very much. 

I was just there tonight.

Yes I have seen them pulling noodles again.

I will say, however, it is not only Sechuan food and the Sechuan dishes they do offer are not prepared using the key needed ingredients.

Those are fresh Sechuan peppers and Dobanjiang ... which is this fermented Sechuan broad bean chili paste.

Just added dried red peppers and chilies doesn't really cut it ... sorry. 

The xiao long bao is of course Shanghai, not Sechuan.

Another classic Shanghai dish they do is the cold poached chicken in rice wine. 

My favorite dish there is probably the ramen noodles with Chinese beef stew, also not a Sechuan dish. 

Also the spicy dishes with hard tofu ... but the one with pig ear was too weird for me.

Also the stir fried spicy cauliflower, never seen that anywhere else ... but the dish is wildly different every time, different cooks I guess. 

If you want actually authentically spiced Sechuan food in town, the only place I know that does that is the Sechuan near the intersection of Jomtien Beach road and Thappraya in a side soi. 

Much more expensive and also language issues there.

The place near Bangkok Pattaya hospital isn't Sechuan?

Yes they have a number of Sechuan dishes.

However their Sechuan peppers when they use them are not fresh, that makes a huge difference in flavor.

So far I don't think they have any of the fermented broad bean chili paste either.

You can't even buy the latter in Thailand. 

You can buy the Sechuan peppers but in my experience already stale.

The place you mentioned is also a great place to go.

A place doesn't have to be fully authentic to provide an enjoyable experience and of course many of the dishes they have don't need to difficult to get ingredients, such as the boiled dumplings.

I am only saying for people looking for food much closer to the actual Sechuan flavors, where you really do need to proper ingredients from China, that place in Jomtien is where to go, and yes it is rather expensive. 

It's called H & L Sechuan restaurant.

To find it go on Thappraya Road all the way to near Jomtien Beach road.

From there it's on a side soi parallel to the end of Thappraya Road, right hand side, the same soi as that Fish and Chip joint you probably know. 

There are signs on Thappraya about it and also on Jomtien Beach road.

The portions are generally large which explains the prices somewhat so it's really best not to go alone so you can share dishes.

If you really want the real deal spicing. you will need to let them know however you can in Thai, Chinese, or worse bet English. 

They do have the actual spices from China.

I know for sure ... they showed me the raw ingredients and I can tell by the flavor as well.

Be warned there is a chance you won't get the real deal ... communication is not easy there and like many places they might assume if you aren't Chinese that you don't really want it. 

Like many places, they can be educated over time that you are serious, but that won't be cheap at this place. 

Not that bad but just much more than  Shanghai or the place near  BPH.

For example their poached fish spicy hot pot is 420 baht. But it's big and good. 

I think a lot of westerners think Chinese food is supposed to be cheap food. 

I am only saying for people looking for food much closer to the actual Sechuan flavors, where you really do need to proper ingredients from China, that place in Jomtien is where to go, and yes it is rather expensive. 

Thanks for posting this.

I looked at their menu once, and was confused that there was more Thai food than anything else on it, so gave it a miss.

Maybe I should take a look again.

No, the food offerings are mostly Sechuan Chinese. Yes some Thai dishes as their customers are mostly Chinese and might want that as they're in Thailand. To add their mapo tofu has good flavor but no minced pork as I was hoping for (though pictured without). Frankly I don't know how they stay in business. They aren't big enough for large tour groups. Sometimes I have seen groups of Chinese in there but its usually empty. But the food I've had has always tasted fresh so I wouldn't worry about that. 

Archived