Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2016

Sick Water Buffalo

Any idea when they open in morning ?

Mobile provider kiosks at BKK are 24 hours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey I was speaking with a co worker about the best budget unlocked phone to buy & he told me why don't I just buy an unlocked hotspot. Then I can just take my iPhone & leave it on airplane mode while using the wifi for apps and that's all I will really need. Are there any sim plans for unlimited data for a hotspot router? Has anyone tried this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I was speaking with a co worker about the best budget unlocked phone to buy & he told me why don't I just buy an unlocked hotspot. Then I can just take my iPhone & leave it on airplane mode while using the wifi for apps and that's all I will really need. Are there any sim plans for unlimited data for a hotspot router? Has anyone tried this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This sounds interesting. Can he recommend a small unlocked hotspot? Most of the small ones I find are locked to a carrier.

• 3 weeks later...

Still reckon the True "always on" connection at 214 Baht for a month is decent value. First 1gb at 4g speed and then reverts to 128 for rest of month when first gb used up......Only thing that doent run then is video on youtube albeit static display does no problem

Does anyone know what sort of cost per/m these tourist sims charge to phone UK mobiles?

Cheers

My True Sim is 1 Baht a minute to uk landlines and 6 Baht a minute to mobiles. So many people use Line or Messenger these days rarely make calls only to my mother landline

Still reckon the True "always on" connection at 214 Baht for a month is decent value. First 1gb at 4g speed and then reverts to 128 for rest of month when first gb used up......Only thing that doent run then is video on youtube albeit static display does no problem

This approach seems to me to be the value way to go, but I think all the carriers have a similar plan and perhaps AIS is a better carrier (see below).  Sure, after the first about 1GB you can't stream youtube, but you can use wifi either at your hotel or a restaurant for that.

As for a SIM, I think maybe the Zeed SIM http://www.zeedsim.com/is the best SIM because you get an extra 2GB/month on youtube and 0.5GB/month of other data, which pushes me towards AIS.  See details about 20% of the way down http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Thailand .  I'm hoping to be able to buy this at the airport on arrival or in Tukcom or Central Festival.  It's marketed to young people with the marketing blurb in Thai only, so immediately I'm sniffing a better deal than those marketed to tourists.  If anyone can see a better SIM than this for infrequent Line/email/social media only use, please explain.

Many different sim packages and suppliers. SIM Easy gives some options if you would like a local simcard delivered to home before Thailand arrival. Packages can be topped up later at local 7/11 or other shops. 

My True Sim is 1 Baht a minute to uk landlines and 6 Baht a minute to mobiles. So many people use Line or Messenger these days rarely make calls only to my mother landline

Thanks for the reply, yeah I'll probably use Skype off wifi but sometimes easier to call due to bad connection..

• 1 month later...

I am sure there are better deals than the tourist SIMs you can buy at the airport but it is so convenient to get one when you land and start using it in the taxi taking you to Pattaya.

For the sake of 2-3 pounds I dont bother shopping around

• 2 months later...

The lines at the airport was crazy so I went to the AIS in Central Festival. 50 baht for a SIM and 150 (170 after taxes) for 4GB of a 4G speed.. Pretty good deal I thought.

BTW, do they only sell tourist SIMs at the airport?

On 16/03/2017 at 7:47 AM, hioctane said:

The lines at the airport was crazy so I went to the AIS in Central Festival. 50 baht for a SIM and 150 (170 after taxes) for 4GB of a 4G speed.. Pretty good deal I thought.

BTW, do they only sell tourist SIMs at the airport?

Nah - we got ours at a True center in Terminal 21. 

Nah - we got ours at a True center in Terminal 21. 

I think I need to clarify my question. Do they sell regular non tourist SIMs at the airport?

7 hours ago, hioctane said:

I think I need to clarify my question. Do they sell regular non tourist SIMs at the airport?

Yes, they all do.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a Dtac sim and package at BKK. It was good service and fast, but everywhere I went on Samui True seem to have wifi too, so I would likely try to get a True sim and plan that included their wifi too. I'm not sure if that is possible, but if so I'd likely go that route. 

Archived