IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2016

Sick Water Buffalo

Images below of the various Tourist SIM packages on offer from the main service providers at their kiosks in the Arrivals Hall of Suvarnabhumi (BKK airport) on 6 June.

Per usual, I purchased a DTAC SIM and the customer service girl had me up on the network in about four minutes from handing over my phone and telling her which package I wanted to purchase. Interestingly, they didn't bother about registering my information or looking at my passport. Have a good 4G signal in central Pattaya.

DTAC

IMG_1741.JPG

AIS

IMG_1742.JPG

IMG_1743.JPG

True

IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1768.JPG

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great info, I just got the 1,049 baht package from dtac and they've really good coverage across pattaya central.

Thanks for info. I guess it will have changed when I arrive in the next couple of months.

Any idea who has the best coverage in Bangkok, likely Sukhumvit area?

Isn't there a inexpensive unlimited all data plan (no minutes) I plan on using apps for voice n text so it would be all data & I remember someone mentioning such a plan. Does it still exist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is TrueMobile the only carrier to have wifi? How is the speed and coverage?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Any idea who has the best coverage in Bangkok, likely Sukhumvit area?

They all have associated wifi hotspots, True just advertises them on the brochure.   :Dunno:  I have DTAC and it comes with DTAC wifi access.

The provider websites have speed and coverage maps :Think1:, but practically... wherever the vast majority of us are going to be (Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai, tourism islands, etc) the service is going to be the same same good 3G/4G for each provider. Supposedly AIS has more rural coverage if you're going to Nakhon Nowhere or Koh Remote Island, that's about it. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Tourist SIMs offer very poor value as compared to what is available to the general public.

One can easily obtain 8GB for 214 baht per month. So why pay 850 baht or more for much the same?

Tourist SIMs are a nice little earner for the mobile networks.

Take the few minutes to research the best package for your needs, instead of being mugged at the airport.

How long do you keep your number without topping up?

That's the other issue with Tourist SIMs. They may only allow you three months validity in advance, as opposed to twelve with a 'normal' SIM.

Any idea who has the best coverage in Bangkok, likely Sukhumvit area?

Last trip I used DTAC and had no issue at all.

Previously I would add a travel pass to my home mobile and found the reception for data usage patchy even though it was using DTAC as the provider.

I usually make a habit of getting the WiFi details of any bar I walk into, even if next to each other and that got me by.

The girl I usually hang out with in Bangkok uses True Pre Paid and normally has no issue.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

As mentioned above DTAC also have WiFi hotspots.

That's the other issue with Tourist SIMs. They may only allow you three months validity in advance, as opposed to twelve with a 'normal' SIM.

I take it that it is possible to get a normal sim without being a resident in Thailand ?

I take it that it is possible to get a normal sim without being a resident in Thailand ?

Of course. 49 to 69 baht for a normal SIM.

Do you just need to show passport for a normal sim? Last time I tried buying one I was given the tourist sim. Worth getting a Thai girl to buy your sim for you?

Where in Pattaya can I find a Telephone service provider as last trip the 7/11 couldn't get a sim card to work on my phone and as I am landing at U-Tapao this time, I am unsure if they have any service provider that can sell me a tourist sim at the airport.

I never looked for a sim in anywhere other than a 7/11 so never looked for the service providers in Pattaya.

Where in Pattaya can I find a Telephone service provider as last trip the 7/11 couldn't get a sim card to work on my phone and as I am landing at U-Tapao this time, I am unsure if they have any service provider that can sell me a tourist sim at the airport.

I never looked for a sim in anywhere other than a 7/11 so never looked for the service providers in Pattaya.

Plenty of phone shops in Central :).

Plenty of phone shops in Central :).

Thanks I should of known that

AIS and DTAC have shops in Central Festival. True has their shop in Tukcom.

AIS and DTAC have shops in Central Festival. True has their shop in Tukcom.

TRUE is not in Tukcom, but in the building next to Tukcom. Next to Kasikorn Bank if I remember correctly.

The True Wifi is not the best.....Example it wont work at bottom Soi 5 and Soi 9 on the Beach but will at Soi 7 !!

The Tourist SIMs offer very poor value as compared to what is available to the general public.

One can easily obtain 8GB for 214 baht per month. So why pay 850 baht or more for much the same?

Tourist SIMs are a nice little earner for the mobile networks.

Take the few minutes to research the best package for your needs, instead of being mugged at the airport.

If you have a Sim originally picked up at the airport can you not subsequently use an add on to get the package you listed above ??

I'm not sure people are being "mugged" at the airport. (rather insulting as well).... My original True Sim was free at the airport and just use for odd calls to UK at 1 baht a minute plus vat.

Where are you getting 8GB of 4G LTE connectivity for 214 baht?  Please enlighten us.

Even looking at the separate top-up packages on the provider websites, the prices work out to be similar to what a Tourist SIM provides all-in-one.

Archived