Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Tourist SIM Packages - June 2016

Sick Water Buffalo

Thanks guys for all the useful info on this thread.

I'm going to be staying in Thailand for about 60 days, so I'm interested in the 30 day deals, and will add on another 30 days midway.

I'm not going to use voice calls or SMS at all - I'm only interested in data for LINE, Facebook, Badoo, forum reading, banking, Google Translate and simple non-streaming uses. If I went for a package with only a small amount of data at full speed, which would be quickly used up, so then most of my use would be at the slower throttled speed, would that slower speed be OK for those kind of uses?

I think the best deal for me is to (all at the airport kiosk on arrival) get

a) a SIM card for ?B50 or so (would something like http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/sim-detail.aspx?type=call&id=32be suitable?)

and

b) add on one of the packages which I think offer 1GB at full speed, then unlimited at slow speed, lasting for 30 days and costing about B220.

Is that what the third one down of these for B213 is?

attachicon.gif30daypackageAIS.jpg

or the second down on the left here for B199 or B220?

attachicon.gif30day.jpeg

Is this practical?

If you use facebook, data goes fast! Make sure you turn off tge option to autopkay videos.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harvey707,

Thanks very much for reply.  I was hoping you'd reply since your posts just above seemed on the wavelength I was thinking.  I won't be needing the phone for streaming at all, as I'll be staying in accomodation that I believe has fast wifi for my laptop.  Let's assume I will never use voice calls or SMS (if I needed to, I'd try to use the laptop)

Just to be clear, did you write that at the slower speed, YouTube just about plays, if the display is a simple static one?

Looking at this SIM card http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/sim-detail.aspx?type=call&id=32 ,

a) is the card itself valid for 30 days or until January 2017?  

b) is "Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi 4 months" referring to AIS wifi around town eg in Starbucks, or what is this?  Just imagining that I lived stationary in Starbucks itself 24/7, would I be online via the AIS wifi for 60 days using the SIM alone (without any extra data package)?

c) Does the mention of "top up for 100 Baht/month to continue free usage the next month"  refer to the SIM itself, ie I'd have to pay another B100 for the SIM on day 31, or does it refer to getting more AIS SUPER WiFi after 4 months?

AIUI this sort of approach is much cheaper than one of the tourist packages, and I think gives me all that I need.  I can see some people just wanting to buy a package quick at the airport and get in the taxi, but, hey, isn't this thread all about getting the cheapest deal that works, and if you're not interested in the cheapest deal that works for you, what are you doing on this best-package thread?

Sorry, I can see you're on True so you don't know AIS well, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts in any case.  Or anyone else?

Later edit:  

"If you use Facebook, data goes fast! Make sure you turn off the option to autoplay videos"

Yes, but I'm thinking the bulk of my phone use would be at the slow speed and wondering whether that will work OK.  I'm focusing on slow speed performance, the high speed first few days is a free bonus that I'm ignoring in the package decision.  If the fast period is only one day long rather than five days, no big deal.

Harvey707,

Thanks very much for reply. I was hoping you'd reply since your posts just above seemed on the wavelength I was thinking. I won't be needing the phone for streaming at all, as I'll be staying in accomodation that I believe has fast wifi for my laptop. Let's assume I will never use voice calls or SMS (if I needed to, I'd try to use the laptop)

Just to be clear, did you write that at the slower speed, YouTube just about plays, if the display is a simple static one?

Looking at this SIM card http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/sim-detail.aspx?type=call&id=32 ,

b) is "

Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi 4 months"

referring to AIS wifi around town eg in Starbucks, or what is this? Just imagining that I lived stationary in Starbucks itself 24/7, would I be online via the AIS wifi for 60 days using the SIM alone (without any extra data package)?

c) Does the mention of "

top up for 100 Baht/month to continue free usage the next month"

refer to the SIM itself, ie I'd have to pay another B100 for the SIM on day 31, or does it refer to getting more AIS SUPER WiFi after 4 months?

AIUI this sort of approach is much cheaper than one of the tourist packages, and I think gives me all that I need. I can see some people just wanting to buy a package quick at the airport and get in the taxi, but, hey, isn't this thread all about getting the cheapest deal that works, and if you're not interested in the cheapest deal that works for you, what are you doing on this best-package thread?

Sorry, I can see you're on True so you don't know AIS well, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts in any case. Or anyone else?

Later edit:

"If you use Facebook, data goes fast! Make sure you turn off the option to autoplay videos"

Yes, but I'm thinking the bulk of my phone use would be at the slow speed and wondering whether that will work OK. I'm focusing on slow speed performance, the high speed first few days is a free bonus that I'm ignoring in the package decision. If the fast period is only one day long rather than five days, no big deal.

a) the plan is valid for 30 days.

b) Wifi is all around... You will just have to see if it is around the areas you frequent the most.

c) SIM is a one time fee. You need an active plan for the WiFi.

By slow I mean it is slowwwww.. unbearably slow. Surfing is a pain. Pretty much the only thing you can do is send messages. I hear they are getting rid of 2g speed so it remains to be seen how slow slow will be.

I got a DTAC 2 week tourist package for 599 baht. When that finished I got a 1 week extension for 99 baht....

It's funny but when you look at Dtac's website that package is nowhere to be seen, ALL Thai Moblile providers websites are shit, not clear at all, at home you can get pretty much unlimited 4g and minutes for 1000 Bh why the fuck is Thailands' phone packages so expensive and complicated I wonder, I thought the packages would be half the price of what we pay, or at least a third, so ,I'm still none the wiser 

It's funny but when you look at Dtac's website that package is nowhere to be seen, ALL Thai Moblile providers websites are shit, not clear at all, at home you can get pretty much unlimited 4g and minutes for 1000 Bh why the fuck is Thailands' phone packages so expensive and complicated I wonder, I thought the packages would be half the price of what we pay, or at least a third, so ,I'm still none the wiser

I don't know where you live, but for me it is more like 2000 baht after bs taxes and fees. Thailand like most international places is more into a la carte plans.. which means you can get by with a 100 baht plan and not be forced into a 1000-2000 baht plan for stuff you may not need.

I don't know where you live, but for me it is more like 2000 baht after bs taxes and fees. Thailand like most international places is more into a la carte plans.. which means you can get by with a 100 baht plan and not be forced into a 1000-2000 baht plan for stuff you may not need.

I live in Ireland, and for about 25 euro you get free everything, maybe we're lucky ,I'm on a bill so not exactly sure but I know it's about that price.

That 100bh plan is handy for someone that just wants a live number that people can contact them on but I'd prefer if they had a few simple plans with unlimited mins to any network and unlimited internet, I thought that'd be standard

The "a La Carte" you mention over here would be ,say , a 5 euro top up for a month, to use on what you wish.

Harvey707,

Thanks very much for reply.  I was hoping you'd reply since your posts just above seemed on the wavelength I was thinking.  I won't be needing the phone for streaming at all, as I'll be staying in accomodation that I believe has fast wifi for my laptop.  Let's assume I will never use voice calls or SMS (if I needed to, I'd try to use the laptop)

Looking at this SIM card http://www.ais.co.th/one-2-call/en/sim-detail.aspx?type=call&id=32 ,

b) is "Unlimited AIS SUPER WiFi 4 months" referring to AIS wifi around town eg in Starbucks, or what is this?  Just imagining that I lived stationary in Starbucks itself 24/7, would I be online via the AIS wifi for 60 days using the SIM alone (without any extra data package)?

c) Does the mention of "top up for 100 Baht/month to continue free usage the next month"  refer to the SIM itself, ie I'd have to pay another B100 for the SIM on day 31, or does it refer to getting more AIS SUPER WiFi after 4 months?

AIUI this sort of approach is much cheaper than one of the tourist packages, and I think gives me all that I need.  I can see some people just wanting to buy a package quick at the airport and get in the taxi, but, hey, isn't this thread all about getting the cheapest deal that works, and if you're not interested in the cheapest deal that works for you, what are you doing on this best-package thread?

Sorry, I can see you're on True so you don't know AIS well, but I'd be grateful for your thoughts in any case.  Or anyone else?

Later edit:  

"If you use Facebook, data goes fast! Make sure you turn off the option to autoplay videos"

Yes, but I'm thinking the bulk of my phone use would be at the slow speed and wondering whether that will work OK.  I'm focusing on slow speed performance, the high speed first few days is a free bonus that I'm ignoring in the package decision.  If the fast period is only one day long rather than five days, no big deal.

Sirl

Let me come back to your post Thursday have just noticed but gotta go out. if I dont answer for any reason just PM me but I wont forget

Harvey707,

No worries, I'm not in a hurry, please reply in your own time.  Everyone else, all replies are gratefully received, thanks and keep all thoughts coming.

I think this get a SIM card for B50 or so and then a mainly slow data package for B220 or so for 30 days is the way forward, for me and maybe for lots of other guys here.  It's just a matter of sorting out the details, things like

-  is the slow data really acceptable for ordinary non-streaming use, ie Line, FB, Whatsapp, banking, a bit of reading websites etc

-  which SIM is best for this data-only use, do you pay again for the SIM each 30 days

-  which data package from which provider

There is the really cheap charlie approach of getting only a SIM for B50 or so and then trying to live off just the AIS wifi around town eg in Starbucks, without a data package, if that actually works.  Maybe you have to pay for a first period of data to get it going, which then expires unrenewed.  Personally I'm not going to try that hard to save money but some here may be interested.

Thanks in advance for all relevant thoughts, guys.

-  is the slow data really acceptable for ordinary non-streaming use, ie Line, FB, Whatsapp, banking, a bit of reading websites etc

I've only been to TL 3 times and always opt for the cheapest sim deal, the first time i was there my phone was only 3g (4g doesn't make a difference unless you're on that package) but i found the speed adequate for browsing etc, I wouldn't say it's very good for watching videos but most places have wifi for that sort of thing, little warning DO NOT make or receive a WhatsApp call or i presume Tango etc using your credit, I was on wifi in a pub, got a call for about 10 mins an it used 4MB of Data, albeit the WIFI but if you used your credit it'd cost a fortune

Harvey707,

No worries, I'm not in a hurry, please reply in your own time.  Everyone else, all replies are gratefully received, thanks and keep all thoughts coming.

I think this get a SIM card for B50 or so and then a mainly slow data package for B220 or so for 30 days is the way forward, for me and maybe for lots of other guys here.  It's just a matter of sorting out the details, things like

-  which SIM is best for this data-only use, do you pay again for the SIM each 30 days

-  which data package from which provider

There is the really cheap charlie approach of getting only a SIM for B50 or so and then trying to live off just the AIS wifi around town eg in Starbucks, without a data package, if that actually works.  Maybe you have to pay for a first period of data to get it going, which then expires unrenewed.  Personally I'm not going to try that hard to save money but some here may be interested.

Thanks in advance for all relevant thoughts, guys.

Ok I can only speak from personal experience of the True Sim I've had for a few years obtained from the airport. I was actually free given out on landing on airbridge on Oman Air but they are 50 Baht or thereabouts anyway from True desk on arrivals level

That short code I gave in earlier post gives 1gb of data at 3g/4g speeds depending on your phone (mine was 3g my lads iphone6 was at 4g).....Depending on what you use it for it will go fairly quickly so its not for everyone.....soon as the 1gb is eaten up it reverts to what I call 2g and that stays connected for the remaining balance of the month.....Now can only speak for myself  but thats perfectly acceptable for Banking, Emails and other non data grabbing activity.

It streams for me Capital Radio, Radio Heart or Radio 2 from London without buffering

It streams Youtube perfectly well without buffering if its a static display on your smartphone.....I have multiple compiled playlists plus pre compiled ones saved.

In addition it streams perfectly well either of my work platforms ETX capital and London Capital Group at the lower speeds

The other networks offer identical style packages.  Its a question of do you need continual higher speeds on your phone or will an "always on" connection for a month at 214 Baht suffice........Because I use laptop in Pattaya using wifi from hotel its a perfect sim package for me but it wouldnt suit everyone

In addition on True you get password for their wifi masts around Pattaya/Jomtien etc...... I found its works perfectly well in Jomtien at high speed but not so much around Pattaya Beach area. For example on Beach at Soi 7 works well. Move to Beach at Soi 5 and no signal.

For less than £5 a month for an always on connection you really cant go wrong

• 1 month later...

I had an issue last trip to Pattaya where I purchased a 4g sim and I could only get 3g speeds.  I think it had some thing to do with the Mhz band that my Note 3 used that didn't match True (2 years ago).  I have (US carrier) Sprint issued Note 7 is unlocked and ready for a future trip.  I am told that my phone handles 850 900 1800 1900 mhz bands.  Which service would be best for 4g in Pattaya for the month.  I may travel outside Pattaya but I would not mind only having only 3g when traveling.  I will probably need 2-3gb of service plus some phone call money.  Which service do you feel is best for me? 

Ok I can only speak from personal experience of the True Sim I've had for a few years obtained from the airport. I was actually free given out on landing on airbridge on Oman Air but they are 50 Baht or thereabouts anyway from True desk on arrivals level

That short code I gave in earlier post gives 1gb of data at 3g/4g speeds depending on your phone (mine was 3g my lads iphone6 was at 4g).....Depending on what you use it for it will go fairly quickly so its not for everyone.....soon as the 1gb is eaten up it reverts to what I call 2g and that stays connected for the remaining balance of the month.....Now can only speak for myself  but thats perfectly acceptable for Banking, Emails and other non data grabbing activity.

It streams for me Capital Radio, Radio Heart or Radio 2 from London without buffering

It streams Youtube perfectly well without buffering if its a static display on your smartphone.....I have multiple compiled playlists plus pre compiled ones saved.

In addition it streams perfectly well either of my work platforms ETX capital and London Capital Group at the lower speeds

The other networks offer identical style packages.  Its a question of do you need continual higher speeds on your phone or will an "always on" connection for a month at 214 Baht suffice........Because I use laptop in Pattaya using wifi from Hotel its a perfect sim package for me but it wouldnt suit everyone

In addition on True you get password for their wifi masts around Pattaya/Jomtien etc...... I found its works perfectly well in Jomtien at high speed but not so much around Pattaya Beach area. For example on Beach at Soi 7 works well. Move to Beach at Soi 5 and no signal.

For less than £5 a month for an always on connection you really cant go wrong

Thanks for some info on True. I have been a DTAC user for quite awhile. I pay for the 49B package for 200MB for 7 days from a previously purchased tourist sim. After 200MB they throttle you to down to 128kbits which still works reasonably well except for some slight buffering when trying to watch youtube. I have noticed 2 things about their service which maybe someone else has experienced and may have a solution. Earlier this year I went to DTAC in Central Festival and purchased a normal 49B sim. Updates from DTAC via text were in thai as well as when you want to check a balance. However, with the tourist sim all their information is in english. Is it possible to change your preferred language with a normal thai sim? Secondly, the tourist sims are valid for 35 days after activation. Once they expire is it possible to add credit before you arrive so your phone will work immediately? Its nice to be able to contact the person coming to pick me up at the airport. Currently, since I am lucky enough to come several times a year. If you add a credit at one of their terminals such as in Central Festival. It adds 30 days to when your sim expires for each deposit. So I usually make several 10B credit deposits which will push my expiration date out a few months and will have a working phone as soon as I've landed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I am a little out of touch now with sims etc in Thailand.

My last time there I had a normal Dtac pre pay sim which I had roaming set up for and for a while I kept it going with a code you could use to gain another

6 months  validity...my plan was to keep it going until I next return so I have everything already set for when I land, However at one point I messed up the date to re do the code and lost the use of the sim as it timed out.

So my question is, are there any sims now...tourist or normal that tourists can get that can keep the sim active for as long as you want...of course with the required top up? I like to keep my number if i can and previously did this for a couple of years, but with all the changes I am not sure how that works now?

I prefer to use Dtac if possible as its what I have always used for years

Happiness is....Escaping from the Land Of Snarls to the Land Of Smiles!

I had an issue last trip to Pattaya where I purchased a 4g sim and I could only get 3g speeds. I think it had some thing to do with the Mhz band that my Note 3 used that didn't match True (2 years ago). I have (US carrier) Sprint issued Note 7 is unlocked and ready for a future trip. I am told that my phone handles 850 900 1800 1900 mhz bands. Which service would be best for 4g in Pattaya for the month. I may travel outside Pattaya but I would not mind only having only 3g when traveling. I will probably need 2-3gb of service plus some phone call money. Which service do you feel is best for me?

Make sure you dont do the next OTA update on your Note7, the next update from samsung will brick all Note7.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

I live in Ireland, and for about 25 euro you get free everything, maybe we're lucky ,I'm on a bill so not exactly sure but I know it's about that price.

That 100bh plan is handy for someone that just wants a live number that people can contact them on but I'd prefer if they had a few simple plans with unlimited mins to any network and unlimited internet, I thought that'd be standard

Thats pretty cheap, no wonder you are not content with the thai phone network packages, I lost my sim card a couple of years ago, I went into the tmobile store and paid $20 for a freaking simcard, in their webpage is a lot cheaper but I didnt want to wait.

:Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1::Grin_Jump1:

I am visiting Thailand for 2 days and then going to Viet for 5 days, then cambodia for 6, before returning to thailand for another 12.

Would buying a 30 day plan work well?

Will it cover the roaming when I am in the other two countries?
Or should I just buy the best plan for the time spent in Thailand?

I am visiting Thailand for 2 days and then going to Viet for 5 days, then cambodia for 6, before returning to thailand for another 12.

Would buying a 30 day plan work well?

Will it cover the roaming when I am in the other two countries?

Or should I just buy the best plan for the time spent in Thailand?

My Ais plan didnt work in Cambodia, you can get a 1 week plan in Cambo.

• 2 weeks later...

I always use this true move plan when I'm in pattaya. 69 baht for 500 meg a day for 7 days.

So upto 3.5 gig over 7 days. Speed is a bit slower at 384Kpbs. But still fast enough to stream utube on the phone.

It used to be unlimited data for 7 days but they changed it. Still 500 meg a day is enough for email, browsing, playing games.

*900*1902# is the code for it.

Also for the princely sum of 6 baht you can extend the expiry date of the SIM by 90 days. Up to a max of 12 months.

*934*90# is the code for that.

Put 00600 at the front of numbers for cheaper international call rates. So if I'm calling Australia I dial 0060061412768657

DATY champion of Pattaya,

I always use this true move plan when I'm in pattaya. 69 baht for 500 meg a day for 7 days.

So upto 3.5 gig over 7 days. Speed is a bit slower at 384Kpbs. But still fast enough to stream utube on the phone.

It used to be unlimited data for 7 days but they changed it. Still 500 meg a day is enough for email, browsing, playing games.

*900*1902# is the code for it.

Also for the princely sum of 6 baht you can extend the expiry date of the SIM by 90 days. Up to a max of 12 months.

*934*90# is the code for that.

Put 00600 at the front of numbers for cheaper international call rates. So if I'm calling Australia I dial 0060061412768657

Can you get this deal from the airport or better to go to shopping mall ? Also where do you top up ? Cheers

Can you get this deal from the airport or better to go to shopping mall ? Also where do you top up ? Cheers

I originally got the sim from a stall in Tukom. Can't comment if you can get the same sim from the airport.

Topping up can be done at any 7/11 or family mart.

DATY champion of Pattaya,

Arrived at the Bangkok airport about 2 hours ago just found an desk that had a free staff member took about 5 min have a true move card 4GB for 30 days 549 baht.

Arrived at the Bangkok airport about 2 hours ago just found an desk that had a free staff member took about 5 min have a true move card 4GB for 30 days 549 baht.

Any idea when they open in morning ? I am arriving at 4am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any idea when they open in morning ? I am arriving at 4am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sorry that was noon all were open. I would think some should open.

Archived