Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Buffet recomendations

The trouble with the Thai all you can eat buffets is that

a) most of them are inconveniently located not near baht bus routes.  For those who only want to use baht buses or walking, which buffets are easy to reach? 

b) they are only open in the evening.  I've better things to do in the evening, and I want buffets at lunchtime.  Which Thai ones are open then?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The trouble with the Thai all you can eat buffets is that

a) most of them are inconveniently located not near baht bus routes.  For those who only want to use baht buses or walking, which buffets are easy to reach? 

b) they are only open in the evening.  I've better things to do in the evening, and I want buffets at lunchtime.  Which Thai ones are open then?

It's true that most dont open until the evening. Also true that most are not on main Bahtbus routes.

This one is fairly accessible on foot: https://goo.gl/maps/Eguo1cQCDgG2 (the photo was taken before the place was built). Gets a lot of Chinese tour buses and probably isnt the best example.

There's one down a side road just about here: https://goo.gl/maps/8fmuYnpuoB42 (again the place is newer than the photo).

Personally I would go to Ninja and pay the extra 200B to get the superior ingredients. Ninja is on 3rd Road here https://goo.gl/maps/ysTsqoRp6XQ2 and there is another way down at the bottom of Jomtien 2nd Road near the corner with Chaiyapreuk. The one opposite the bus station in North Road isnt bad either (not a Ninja).

Nearly forgot: there used to be one or more near the Shell garage in South Road (not far from the corner of 3rd Road) but I'm not sure that they still exist. There are are or two at the top end of South Road just before you get to BigC and you can get Bahtbuses to there fairly easily.

KK, 

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm grateful, but both location and lunchtime opening are still problems to me.  Of course there'll be times I'll be with a TG and so going as a couple in the evening would be OK (ie not out gogoing those evenings), but often I'd be on my own and preferring lunchtime.  I'd feel a little selfconscious being a lone farang in thai buffets.

When I'm on my own I'd prefer the likes of Shabushi, All Seasons and Sizzler, on weekday lunchtimes in the centre of town, at which I have no issues going alone - these three are best avoided on weekends when they are crowded with local buffeteers.  I think the best (value) day to go to the Hilton buffet is Thursday, ie Asia day.  On Sunday lunchtimes I like the carvery buffets at the likes of Dicey Reilly, Robins Nest and Jolly's, and on Saturday lunchtimes I like the Beefeater Mex buffet.  To play things best you have to know the day to go to each buffet.

I like Sizzler too. I often go there for a weekday lunch and enjoy some nice salads and soup for a very fair price.

I'm sure that Thais think I'm completely nuts whatever I'm doing and whenever I do it, so it doesnt bother me to do it in the evening on my own!

Casa Pascal has improved its daily brunch offering recently so that is somewhere you could try if you haven't yet done so.

Casa Pascal is of course good and it isn't too much of a stretch to treat it as a lunch buffet.

I'm generally not fussed about what people think of me doing stuff on my own, but the buffet situation where you leave your table to go up to get more food, leaving your table unoccupied, creates more issues, particularly IMO if its majority Thai in groups.  Normal waitress service type rests in the centre of town I have no problems at all going alone.  

I prefer to eat bigger at lunchtime and lighter in the evening anyway, so to me there's less point to an evening buffet, except when I'm with a TG LLT and it creates an evening date that she enjoys.  I'm a fairly LLT type of guy so that situation happens quite often.

Do you have any more details (a name, or precise Google St View link?) of the buffet opposite the bus terminal on North Rd please?  That one, and the one that used to be The Fish, seem the most accessible by baht bus.  (I find BBs going East on North Road simpler than BBs going East on Pattaya Tai, which might turn up Buakhao)

Do you have any more details (a name, or precise Google St View link?) of the buffet opposite the bus terminal on North Rd please?  That one, and the one that used to be The Fish, seem the most accessible by baht bus.  (I find BBs going East on North Road simpler than BBs going East on Pattaya Tai, which might turn up Buakhao)

Here: https://goo.gl/maps/7oPKWmzmcdU2

It is almost directly opposite the bus station.

I believe they only do Sundays as an all you can eat buffet but the one at Robins nest on soi Diana is very good. I unfortunately made myself Ill eating too much at one sitting, I was treating myself but realise particularly in LOS I and my stomach like many of the girls prefer to eat less but more frequently now.

Yes I think the Robins Nest buffet is Sunday only.  I think it was B299 when I was last there.  I thought it was a reasonable mid-level one, but not outstanding.  It would have been better if there was actually real chunks of roast eg beef carved up there in front of you.  It doesn't have any of the pretensions of some higher-priced buffets.

The cheaper value buffet is Jolly's on Buakhao at about B239, which does have real chunks of roast beef ie at exactly 1.00 on 

What you see is what you get at Jolly's - it's the cheapest sunday carvery buffet in town that I know of.  If you like what you see on that youtube, ie it doesn't have a huge number of different dishes, then you won't be disappointed, bearing in mind the price charged.

The pre-carved meat swimming in water at Robin's is very disappointing and I never bother with it but the other items (cottage pie, pigs in blankets, chicken thighs, veg, Yorkshires, soup, ice cream etc) are OK. I think it's 325B now which is perhaps a bit high for what you get given the quality of the meat.

I didnt like Jolly's when I tried it a few months ago but maybe it was a bad day/time.

Yes, I thought the Robins Nest buffet had a bit too much stodge and not enough tasty meaty things, but there is a fair amount of choice.

I thought I'd implied that Jollys is certainly not haute cuisine, but judging it has to be seen in the light of it being just about the cheapest non-Thai buffet in town,  It shouldn't be compared to buffets at twice it's price.  You get a fair enough traditional roast, but don't expect too much.  IMO that youtube video gives a good impression of what it's about.  It's popular with the singlet-wearing hung-over Buakhao crowd, and at that low price I can see why.  Jollys is all about the low price, if that's what you're after for that particular Sunday lunch.

The pre-carved meat swimming in water at Robin's is very disappointing and I never bother with it but the other items (cottage pie, pigs in blankets, chicken thighs, veg, Yorkshires, soup, ice cream etc) are OK. I think it's 325B now which is perhaps a bit high for what you get given the quality of the meat.

I didnt like Jolly's when I tried it a few months ago but maybe it was a bad day/time.

For just another 74 Baht you can partake in Diceys Sunday buffet which is much better quality

"Diceys Sunday buffet which is much better quality"

Agreed Dicey's is a good deal better.  But if Dicey's is B399 it's kinda unfair to compare it to Jollys at (on my last visit) B239.  Is Dicey's 70% better?  I'm just trying to list the options here for people to choose between.  There seem to be plenty of people for whom Jollys is what they want.

For just another 74 Baht you can partake in Diceys Sunday buffet which is much better quality

This is true and the meal there isn't bad at all. But I'm afraid they lost me as a customer by charging 80B for a tiny bottle of plain water. I think this is absurd.

Agreed Dicey's is a good deal better.  But if Dicey's is B399 it's kinda unfair to compare it to Jollys at (on my last visit) B239.  Is Dicey's 70% better? 

Yes, it probably is. The problem with DR is the cost of drinks which is out of proportion with the cost of the food.

Here here, as I stated many times, DR's is a total rip off with drink prices, wont be back.

Try Harry's on Soi Diana for Sunday's roast buffet 195 baht all you can eat 1pm to 5 pm . This one has roast lamb included as well as other choices. Try if you don't like it ,don't go back. After all it's only cost you 195 baht.

Try Harry's on Soi Diana for Sunday's roast buffet 195 baht all you can eat 1pm to 5 pm . This one has roast lamb included as well as other choices. Try if you don't like it ,don't go back. After all it's only cost you 195 baht.

Are you sure? They dont mention it on their website http://harryspattaya.com/restaurant.htmland it seems unusually cheap.

I'm here in Pattaya now and have been to the place two Sundays in a row . There's a board out the front advertising the price .If you want to see photos check out Barstools 332 thread in Pattaya expatts section. I'm going again for the meal today ,you want to pay my bin for me.

Fuck it all that talk about food has brought the hunger pains to the fore . Must hold out till 1 must not give in . I'll have another cig .

Yes, I did see a thing about a (new?) buffet at Harrys on FB a week or two ago.  I like Harry's Swedish food so their buffet will be a high priority to try out on my next visit.  I don't know about the price, but B195 would be cheap.   Can someone post some pics and some review of the food at Harry's sunday buffet?   Is post #43550 on http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/65626-332-days-as-a-pattaya-expat/page-1742   at Harry's buffet?  If so, not many pics or words on that about the food.

I recommend that those who frequent these places to put the fork down and go for a walk instead. Never had a buffet that beats a proper meal ordered from the menu.

i'd rather eat a fishes face than a steak and kidney pie

Agreed Dicey's is a good deal better.  But if Dicey's is B399 it's kinda unfair to compare it to Jollys at (on my last visit) B239.  Is Dicey's 70% better?  I'm just trying to list the options here for people to choose between.  There seem to be plenty of people for whom Jollys is what they want.

I was comparing the Diceys buffet to the Robins Nest offering at 325Baht

Which is a difference of 74 Baht

I have eaten the robins nest/ Jollys Sunday buffet many times in the past

But for me the quality has dropped to low so I no longer bother

I now go to either

Diceys

Sportsman

Queen Vic

More expensive but far more enjoyable

Casa Pascal has improved its daily brunch offering recently so that is somewhere you could try if you haven't yet done so.

What did they improve?

I didn't go there again after they just offered a cheap Mozzarella as a cheese, decreased the quality in general and increased the price.

Remember Pattaya residents and visitors will think about the lower-end buffets differently.  Everyone has sometimes a basic need to fill a hungry tummy without much fuss, maybe when they are hung over and not too appreciative of fancy food.  Residents will do that via their kitchen at home - something simple.  Hotel-based visitors don't have that simple home kitchen solution, and so simpler buffets have a tummy-filling role for visitors, where that situation doesn't really exist for residents.  Difficult to tell of the recent writers here who is Pattaya resident, but IMO that'll be a part of their reaction to lower-end buffets.  Residents will always want a meal they go out for to be in some way a bit more special than eating at home, but visitors sometimes want a simple no-fuss tummy-fill at a bargain price.

This seems to have moved on to Sunday buffets so these are my 3

Jollys awful slop, meat swimming in water and grossly overcooked vegetables but very cheap

Robins Nest better but only so so slightly more than Jollys in cost but much better but still not good

Queen Vic good, more expensive but worth it, I enjoy it

Archived