IGNORED

Laminated copy of passport page and entry stamp

thumper64

I laminated the photo page years ago. Now I just get color copies of the, Visa, Entry stamp, departure card.  Fold it all up, stick it in my pocket and forget about it.

This should be sufficient.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I keep pictures of them on my phone whether there accepted or not isnt really an issue seeing as i have never been asked to present them, most days i forget to go back to the hotel and drop off my passport after changing money anyway so i usually have the hard copy on me anyway, i think the best way to go about this is to not worry about what everyone else has to say and do Thailand YOUR way, as soon as i stopped asking for advice and caring about what or how others would do i started enjoying the place a hell of a lot more, thats my two baht worth

I keep pictures of them on my phone whether there accepted or not isnt really an issue seeing as i have never been asked to present them, most days i forget to go back to the hotel and drop off my passport after changing money anyway so i usually have the hard copy on me anyway, i think the best way to go about this is to not worry about what everyone else has to say and do Thailand YOUR way, as soon as i stopped asking for advice and caring about what or how others would do i started enjoying the place a hell of a lot more, thats my two baht worth

This advise is flawed in so many way.

It is not an issue since you have never been asked to present them? That is like saying you don´t need a life vest because you have never had your boat sink. You may be asked to present your documents to the Pattaya police in all sorts of situations, not only raids. By Thai law, you need to have ID on you at all times. If you do not have this on you, you are very likely to be detained and brought to immigration until they can determine your status.

And don´t carry your passport around. No one will be impressed when you lost your passport drinking in Pattaya, nor will the police be very sympathetic when you tell them that you don´t care what they have to say because you are "doing Thailand YOUR way". This is fundamental advise on how to stay out of trouble in a country where you are a visitor, not advise on which bar has the hottest girls at the moment.

If you really have stopped taking advise, you should be careful what advise you give as well. I hope this does not offend you, but for first timers this should be answered.

I recommend reading the helpful advise in this thread and have a look at these guys on their way to spend some quality time at the station.

This advise is flawed in so many way.

It is not an issue since you have never been asked to present them? That is like saying you don´t need a life vest because you have never had your boat sink. You may be asked to present your documents to the Pattaya police in all sorts of situations, not only raids. By Thai law, you need to have ID on you at all times. If you do not have this on you, you are very likely to be detained and brought to immigration until they can determine your status.

And don´t carry your passport around. No one will be impressed when you lost your passport drinking in Pattaya, nor will the police be very sympathetic when you tell them that you don´t care what they have to say because you are "doing Thailand YOUR way". This is fundamental advise on how to stay out of trouble in a country where you are a visitor, not advise on which bar has the hottest girls at the moment.

If you really have stopped taking advise, you should be careful what advise you give as well. I hope this does not offend you, but for first timers this should be answered.

I recommend reading the helpful advise in this thread and have a look at these guys on their way to spend some quality time at the station.

its not advice as i stated its the way I do pattaya, and as i said i dont take my passport with me because i think its a fashion statement its usually because i have forgotten to drop it back at the hotel, i travel with enough money to avoid being detained anyway, if the day comes i find an uncorruptable police officer in pattaya then il take my licks and spend some time being detained, up to you, up to me...... "nor will the police be very sympathetic when you tell them that you don´t care what they have to say because you are "doing Thailand YOUR way" thanks for twisting my words appreciate it

I got my laminated credit card size of passport page and entry stamp done by thai post type shop on the ground floor of central festival near supermarket checkouts.Black and white copy around 40-60 bahts,Colour ones would be more.

Some good advice on here and its probably answered a lot of people's questions, personally I'm going with balees and slowlyman, get photocopies on the first day of ye hols cut them to a small size and put them in a small plastic bag/wallet and carry them with you at all times or maybe get stopped by the police and spend a few hours in the police station, it's not rocket science is it.

I have just been reading this topic and was going to write about how I have always kept a copy of my passport and had the hotel copy the entry visa. Then I read ricktoronto's response which is exactly what I do. Easy, cheap and you have it directly you have booked into your hotel

On soi post office, few doors from the post office towards the beach there is a place that does passport pictures and will laminate to your Desire.  All with a smile from a very efficient guy at a good price. Get plenty of pictures you will need more than you can ever think you do.  Print at least a sheet or a page.  Cost the same as just a few.

Hermansen you got it nailed.  So absolutely true.

As for identification there is hardly anything better than a Thai drivers license.  It is excepted for just about everything as it has, verified, information they need.  like your address in Thai. 

If you have a laminated copy ,it is good for changing money as more and more money changes are asking for your passport now,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

There is a Kodak shop on Pattaya Klang, between Second rd and Buakhao, south side, close to Second Rd. They do it for 20 bath if it is worth the extra trip. My hotel is close, and I went there today to get my laminated, miniature of my passport and entry stamp.

I went here and paid 50bt for a single side color laminate credit card size job. Not so much for Patts but for Bali were your visa agent keeps your passport till you need it back. I think its smart to have a copy + visa + current date stamp to put off tea money grabs.

As for identification there is hardly anything better than a Thai drivers license.  It is excepted for just about everything as it has, verified, information they need.  like your address in Thai. 

But tells them nothing with regards to your legality to stay in LOS which is the main thing they are looking at.

But tells them nothing with regards to your legality to stay in LOS which is the main thing they are looking at.

If you have a 5 years one , it can give them something to consider (!?)......as you can not get that unless you are on a 1 year stay ... :Think1:  

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

You are right, tells them nothing and of no use at all for visa proof.

If you have a 5 years one , it can give them something to consider (!?)......as you can not get that unless you are on a 1 year stay ... :Think1:  

It might give them something to consider but very unlikely to work.  No visa last longer than a year and the license is for five years!  Also many people in the past have bought a license whatever their visa status!

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I paid 120 baht at the Kodak on Soi Bukaow and Soi Lenkgee... color passport page and color visa page on back laminated ID size. Is that overpaying?

70 baht CC size colour face page and stamp page... laminated.  Kodak express Beach Road Jomtien.

I don't really see the point in laminating.

I ask the hotel at check in to make me an extra copy when they make their copy, as well as a copy of the entry stamp. Fold it and place in my pocket. If I need another copy, which I don't think I ever have, I'd just ask the hotel to make another. Free, quick, no hassles or frustration looking for someplace when I'd rather be getting a drink and ogling some girls.

Yet, 20+ years, I've never been asked for it by the police.

I ask the hotel at check in to make me an extra copy when they make their copy, as well as a copy of the entry stamp. Fold it and place in my pocket. If I need another copy, which I don't think I ever have, I'd just ask the hotel to make another. Free, quick, no hassles or frustration looking for someplace when I'd rather be getting a drink and ogling some girls.

Yet, 20+ years, I've never been asked for it by the police.

(snip)

Laminating it was a very very smart move thru Songkran... try as I might, I couldn't keep the little wallet I use dry...

Laminating it was a very very smart move thru Songkran... try as I might, I couldn't keep the little wallet I use dry...

Yeah, I can understand that for sure.

I just don't come during Songkran, and if I did it would be up country and not Patts.

I had a laminated copy done a few days ago after a potential problem was averted.

The bar boss was going to call the police biy the offender eventually paid up.

I thought  if they came they might ask customers for id,so far I haven't need it.

Robw

Leave it to LDOP farangs to get something laminated to try and add importance to the document, what next the visa stamp framed?

Leave it to LDOP farangs to get something laminated to try and add importance to the document, what next the visa stamp framed?

i'm gonna have a Soi 6 framing party to really ramp up the importance.

I have been going to Pattaya for 15yrs, multiple visits every year, always rent a bike and been asked for documents a total of 1 time (down by Walking Street, going wrong way on 1-way street on my bike unknowingly).

Anyway, I am a gogo guy...90% of my mongering done in these places as I like AC and don't mind the higher barfines...never been in a gogo when being "raided" (thats a lot of clocked hours in gogos and never a worry so I think pretty rare) for those worried about "raids."

BUT, if it does happen, just show photocopied pages of your passport (plain white paper, folded neatly, in your pocket in a small zip bag if you are silly enough to be in Pattaya during Songkran so you get soaked), smile at the officer and be on your way.  Never a worry or 2nd thought.  PBR did the copies for free at front desk...lol.  If you plan on joining the girls in the shower in a gogo that does such shows, and fear the girls will open your zip bag to deliberately soak your copies, then by all means, get them laminated.  LOL

Cheers, Alex

Archived