IGNORED

Parichat golf course?

farcanal

PSC website has the tips at only 6300 yards. Of course it also has EVERY tee rated at 73.0 120,,,,,,, so there's something not right with the PSC info,,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting though. Kinda makes me want to see it even more.

I've played most of the courses in the area and honestly, the ONLY courses I haven't thought much of are Tha Navy Course and Treasure Hill.

Gonna be interesting to see Parichat,,,,,,,,,,, wonder if I'll feel the same way,,,,,,,,,,,

Opinions, just goes to show.

I have been lower part of single figures for last 20yrs and I thought the Navy Course was ok.

Strangely though, the only one I wont pay to play again is St Andrews 2000. There are some holes on this course that the average golfer would seriously struggle to stay in single figures.

Never played Parichat, will try in spring.

A lot of golfers ratings depend on the way they play on the day, which in Thailand can vary from what happened the night before to the chosen tee of the day.

Also the whole experience from arrival, pace of play, caddies, locker rooms, showers can put a bummer on the day and a course not being liked. 

Having played most of the courses a lot of times and for what its worth, my Pattaya top three would be, in no order.

Plantation, Bangphra and Mountain Shadow. With Burapha a close 4th.

Black Mountain, Banyan, Springfield, Majestic Creek and Royal Ratchaburi out Hua Hin way and Chiang Mai Highlands would make my Thai top 10. Most of these being above the Pattaya courses.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Opinions, just goes to show.

I have been lower part of single figures for last 20yrs and I thought the Navy Course was ok.

Strangely though, the only one I wont pay to play again is St Andrews 2000. There are some holes on this course that the average golfer would seriously struggle to stay in single figures.

Never played Parichat, will try in spring.

A lot of golfers ratings depend on the way they play on the day, which in Thailand can vary from what happened the night before to the chosen tee of the day.

Also the whole experience from arrival, pace of play, caddies, locker rooms, showers can put a bummer on the day and a course not being liked. 

Having played most of the courses a lot of times and for what its worth, my Pattaya top three would be, in no order.

Plantation, Bangphra and Mountain Shadow. With Burapha a close 4th.

Black Mountain, Banyan, Springfield, Majestic Creek and Royal Ratchaburi out Hua Hin way and Chiang Mai Highlands would make my Thai top 10. Most of these being above the Pattaya courses.

I agree with most of that.  Only part I don't agree with is it's been so long since I played the Navy course I have no opinion really.  Well that and I kind of like St Andrews 2000.  If you are hitting the ball straight you can really score there.

PSC website has the tips at only 6300 yards. Of course it also has EVERY tee rated at 73.0 120,,,,,,, so there's something not right with the PSC info,,,,,,,,,,,,

Interesting though. Kinda makes me want to see it even more.

I've played most of the courses in the area and honestly, the ONLY courses I haven't thought much of are Tha Navy Course and Treasure Hill.

Gonna be interesting to see Parichat,,,,,,,,,,, wonder if I'll feel the same way,,,,,,,,,,,

I have a score card in front of me, the "tips" are 6660 yards, with the Blue tees at 6329 yards, while the Whites are a paltry 5996 yards.

The majority of the negative (& positive for that matter) come from players who have played the course 1 time, with inexperienced caddies & several holes where there are unseen, and therefore unknown potential disasters lurking.

There are several risk & reward holes, even on first playing, but I am sure that with some familiarity there would be more scoring opportunities that become evident.

When I played, I went from the Blue tees, and while there are several intimidating holes at first glance, they are not quite as daunting looking back towards the tee.  Some players are their own worst enemies when faced with particular shots & holes, beaten before they even tee it up.

I will be going back again, and with the experience of 1 game before, I expect it to still provide a challenge, but with some knowledge of where to go would hope to make a better score on some of the holes I played blind previously.

The current promotion, which ends 31/12 still represents good value in my opinion.

Just 1 thing when making comparisons, don't expect Siam quality when paying 1/4 of the price, Parichat has not been open for play 12 months yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I went back again recently with 2 other A flight golfers, and although none of us played well over 18 holes, there were several times when at least 1 of us got on a bit of a roll and made a few pars on the trot.  Our group of 3 with a combined 20 shots, recorded 4 birdies & 16 pars to go with a few doubles/others as they say on TV.

As mentioned previously when you have some clue of where you are going, it does open up birdie opportunities, through risk and reward.  Most evident would be Hole 12, the par 6 of 568 yards from the Blue, to effectively an island green, but with about 1 club's worth of forgiveness over the back.  Hole 18, a par 5 of only 414 yards from the Blue, if u take the drive on, need to carry about 250 and leave an iron in for most.  Lay up well back if not taking Driver, as the water comes up pretty quick.

Again from the Blues there are several potential "disaster" holes if playing stroke, but play each hole on it's & your own merits, and it is an enjoyable course, but take a few extra golf balls.

The current value promotion finishes on 31 Dec, and I am sure the traffic will die off markedly, hopefully the management will kick it off again next Low season.

Same 3 A flighters gave it a go from the Black Tees this time and it certainly provided plenty of challenges, but only 1 hole the 9th was probably beyond our ability on the day.  With a 230+ carry over 2 water hazards into the wind, it was all plus a bit that we could handle successfully.

The 17th which caused all the conjecture previously with proclamations of unplayable & unfair, offered up a par & 2 bogeys, so 7 points using stableford scoring put the pen through those claims, I think.

Despite none of us playing near our handicap on this day, all agreed it was a good course to play, offering challenges which a lot of local courses do not.  Risk & reward, with reward for good shots, but punishment for poor shot making is abundant in spades here.  A lot of holes offer good vistas also, fairways stretching out lined by various hazards waiting for the errant shots, of which there are many, I'm guessing.

Classic example of "no bad golf course, only bad golfers".

Too bad the excellent promotion is due to finish 31 December.

Archived