IGNORED

Beware this Thief!

Dennis M

go on bro i'll bite , what do you call an australian man with one leg ?

Kangaroo ,... Cos he hops .. Lol

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

was reading this post and emails , bit of multi tasking , when by coincidence got the following email about another hotel scam .

Subject: FW: hotel Scam (This is one I would have fallen for!)...

Subject: FW: hotel Scam (This is one I would have fallen for!)...

Subject: hotel Scam 

Creativity wow.!!  This is one of the best scams I have heard about. You

arrive at your hotel and check in at the front desk. Typically when

checking in, you give the front desk your credit card (for any charges

to your room) and they don't retain the card.

You go to your room and settle in. All is good.

The hotel receives a call and the caller asks for (as an example) room

620 - which happens to be your room.

The phone rings in your room. You answer and the person on the other end

says the following: 'This is the front desk. When checking in, we came

across a problem with your charge card information. Please re-read me

your credit card numbers and verify the last 3 digits numbers at the

reverse side of your charge card.'

Not thinking anything wrong, since the call seems to come from the front

desk you oblige. But actually, it is a scam by someone calling from

outside the hotel. They have asked for a random room number, then ask

you for your credit card and address information. They sound so

professional, that you think you are talking to the front desk.

If you ever encounter this scenario on your travels, tell the caller

that you will be down to the front desk to clear up any problems. Then,

go to the front desk or call directly and ask if there was a problem. If

there was none, inform the manager of the hotel that someone tried to

scam you of your credit card information, acting like a front desk

employee.

This was sent by someone who has been duped........and is still cleaning

up the mess.

P.S. Please, consider spreading the word by forwarding this e-mail (as a

"bcc"!). Who knows, you might just help someone avoid a nasty

experience.

ANYONE travelling should be aware of this one!

I'm sure most guests and customers have been honest and good folk, but if I were hotel owner, I would have some system in place to prevent things like this.

During booking require credit card info with a deposit, or cash payment upfront.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

welcome ray ,if it stops just 1 bm from getting stung it's worthwhile . 

Not sure how that would work at a lot of hotels as if you want to call a room number when you call reception they ask for room number and name. I could see how it would work if you had a mole supplying room and name to external criminals (assuming the mole just wanted to be paid for giving database of guests and not involved in the actual fraud - taking card details/processing payments).

I would always go down in person. Same principle if some calls you claiming to be your bank / credit card company or whatever. I would tell them I will call the company back later then use another phone and call the official number.

I'm sure most guests and customers have been honest and good folk, but if I were hotel owner, I would have some system in place to prevent things like this.

During booking require credit card info with a deposit, or cash payment upfront.

I have never checked in a hotel and then had opportunity to pay after? Always pre-booked online or paid on full as requested. Only open tab for drinks/food but they have your credit card. That's only thing that could not get paid if the card had no money and then someone did a runner.

Posted Image
X.

Thai Police have issued sketches of him in his native clothes as they believed he had checked into the hotel in disguise to avoid suspicion.

pegleg_color72.jpg

They  believe he is a serial pirate thief.

Posted Image
X.

I have never checked in a hotel and then had opportunity to pay after? Always pre-booked online or paid on full as requested. Only open tab for drinks/food but they have your credit card. That's only thing that could not get paid if the card had no money and then someone did a runner.

I think it depends on hotel and how you book it online.

Some sites like Agoda, to get the good deals you have to prebook entire hotel stay cost at time of booking. For other sites like booking.com, you don't pay full amount until you check out if I recall. But as you say ultimately the hotel still has your credit card info. This has been true for every hotel I've stayed at in Pattaya.

GFE: Gull Friend Experience

Official Pattaya Song

• 3 weeks later...

I think it depends on hotel and how you book it online.

Some sites like agoda, to get the good deals you have to prebook entire hotel stay cost at time of booking. For other sites like booking.com, you don't pay full amount until you check out if I recall. But as you say ultimately the hotel still has your credit card info. This has been true for every hotel I've stayed at in Pattaya.

I have booked via email and they never have asked my cc info for deposit. Also I have paid when I have wished, not always on check-in. Smaller places are trusting the people and conmen like this are taking the advantage of it. Bastards.

Please send me one .

JDM

I did send you one ?/ :GoldenSmile1:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

I PM'ed Dennis and offered a possible solution to his problem, didnt hear back, just trying to help.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$AFBADGE.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I did send you one ?/ :GoldenSmile1:

Many thanks I have a similar solution however it deals with a different substance left in the room !!!!.

PS I have been ill and will come see you ref the loan of the tractor  to work your land next week.

JDM

JDM

if you are Looking to rent an apartment in a condo take a look at my website.

http://www.condopattaya-rent.com

• 5 months later...

Bloody Ozzys, a Brit would never be a Tea Leaf. :SoWhat1::hello09:

We sent over the Crims years ago and I see nothing has changed :GoldenSmile1:

Bloody ozzy, just looking at him he's a New Zealander with an ozzy Passport, doppy lookin fuck..

Do not let this guy get a leg up on you.  Give em an inch and he takes a foot.  Give em a foot and he does a runner.

that would be a foot chase.    I have a friend, a hacker wanted by the FBI, he had a prosthetic leg but moved around great, could never tell.  The idiot walked by the FBI building in LA cause he was staying with a girl there.  An FBI guy and others saw him and chased him and got him.    Line in the newspaper said the good him after a foot chase and then said he only had one foot.......we were cracking up

• 1 month later...

Bloody Ozzys, a Brit would never be a Tea Leaf. 

We sent over the Crims years ago and I see nothing has changed 

Really uncool Ghost. There are criminals from every country and 95% of the Aussie population have zero convict ancestry and those that do had ancestors that were starving and stole a loaf of bread or something because the old British system treated the poor like scum. Maybe you think it's funny? It's not. 99.9% of Aussies are stand up blokes! Your comment is hardly stand up pride or comedy!

Really uncool Ghost. There are criminals from every country and 95% of the Aussie population have zero convict ancestry and those that do had ancestors that were starving and stole a loaf of bread or something because the old British system treated the poor like scum. Maybe you think it's funny? It's not. 99.9% of Aussies are stand up blokes! Your comment is hardly stand up pride or comedy!

He's only pulling our leg mate,  (hope it doesn't fall off) Ghostie is alright.

Bloody Ozzys, a Brit would never be a Tea Leaf. :SoWhat1::hello09:

We sent over the Crims years ago and I see nothing has changed :GoldenSmile1:

And then your government replaced our lot with the Muzzie multitude !  

There again I'm sure you're far better off.......how will you all cope when they re-introduce Ration cards ?   55555

Oh, come now, be a good subject of Britain and Queen - ;-)

Don't let it bother you mate, we live in a country where people can still eat export quality meat 7 days a week, quality seafood; drink great wines and boutique beers and drive late model vehicles.....then fly to Thailand in 8.5 hours and monger to our hearts content.

Meanwhile in little Britain it's Bovril, Fish and chips, and Pizza on Sundays.......while hordes of Muzzies on welfare rape the country !   55555 

Anyone tell me who got it right ? 

Oh, come now, be a good subject of Britain and Queen - ;-)

I've never come to terms with the fact that little Britain has far too many Queens.........what with Sir Elton John et al.

One has to conclude that most of that country's leading achievers prefer to wear ladies clothes.......... 55555.

ETd.png

He's only pulling our leg mate,  (hope it doesn't fall off) Ghostie is alright.

I was aware a Brit would think it's funny but it's not particularly when we are dealing with international relationships where these other nationalities would think it's serious and the fact that yeah there were a few convicts 200 hundred years ago lends credence to the angle.

If we heard it in Oz or Pommieland we'd just whip their arses in a mans game like Rugby or Cricket and they'd have to STFU.

Anyway this legless runner is a total dick no matter what nationality and deserves to have a good job done on him. If you were keen it would probably be pretty easy to track him down. Collate info on the variety of businesses and people he ripped off take up a collection... Make a donation to passport control do a search and you would know which country he is in now. Cambodia or Pinas I bet!

Archived