Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

.. PROPER BBQ PIT (Smoker) - Weber Kettle Smoker Knock-off

brutox

.. those look killer!.

.. is anyone aware of any restaurant that is cooking ribs to such exacting tolerances?

.. as I wrote above, without a pit, I am lost .. I can sit down to a bowl of Rice Crispies, leer into blow-up pictures of your ribs and I swear I can almost taste BBQ!

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're in town sometime, we can do a cook. I want to get a rib rack so I can cook more racks at a time. If I could do 4 racks, that would last me a month.

Why do these fucking number keep popping up in my posts? Does my computer have some virus?

Too much rub, but otherwise perfect:

Ribs_April_18-01-3.jpg

Ribs_April_18-02-3.jpg

Thought I'd give you guys the play by play of my cook today. Put the ribs on about 30 mins ago..here is where I'm at so far

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3035.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

IMG_3039.jpg

IMG_3040.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

So after I took the membrane off I put on a coat of plain ole yellow mustard to use as a binder for the rub. You can use oil or a number of other products to bind the rub to the meat. Mustard has vinegar in it which some ppl argue helps break down the meat and make it more tender..i have also had great results using oil so I'm not sure i buy into into the hype. I have also used different types of mustard but i can never tell the difference. This picture was taken about a half hour of sitting with the rub on it. Notice how the rub almost turns to Liquid. This also allows the meat to come closer to room temp.

IMG_3044.jpg

My setup is so unprofessional compared to yours. :D

Edit: you also have a better source of meat--though the pork in Thailand is quite good. I've noticed when I buy bbq back in the states, the ribs are just plain bigger. The pigs here must be smaller.

forsure man..we grow food to feed animals. my family owns miles of farmland in Iowa that grows corn for cows..not ppl. This photo is of some cows in PP, Cambodia from my last trip. I'm sure Thailand has better resources but..

IMG_2804.jpg

This is a place that imports good quality meat from AUS. It is not LOS prices..in fact its probably a few bucks more than the states, but the quality is there. Their FB page is better but I'm not sure if its cool to post that link here..anyway this will help you find it if you want to get some good steaks/brisket/etc.

https://www.farangfriendly.com/hickory-butcher-delicatessen

I would trade my bbq and lifestyle here to wake up next to this..I'm trying to figure out how i can have both. I have it pretty good in the bay area, but i feel like I'm just working for a pension..at 33 I only have 15-20 years left..ahahahahahhhhh..seems like forever!!!!

IMG_2419.jpg

Baby back ribs at Hickory: 350b/kg

Above $2.79/lb.

That's $2.79/lb*2.2lb/kilo*32.5baht/$ ~ 200baht/kilo

I guess you could say close.

The ribs I got at Makro were 132baht/kilo. They were pretty good.

Move on over--let's start a wholesale smoking business. We could flood the area with great meat (pun intended).

Not a bad idea!!! I actually like my job a lot a lot here. I just don't get to wake up next to many different beautiful woman everyday. I want to put in at least a few more yrs..but I am tempted. I'm going to spend 6 weeks there this summer. 3 weeks jomtien/3 weeks samui. if i dont want to come home I'm going to figure out a way to do my job in LOS. Its a big test for me. I arrive June 25..we should at least meet up for a beer..or maybe some BBQ. The hickory butcher prices are not too bad..i thought they would be higher!

So i use a mop sauce about half way through..never put anything cold onto your meat boys!! pun intended!!

IMG_3060.jpg

IMG_3061.jpg

IMG_3062.jpg

2 hours in..1st pic is pre mop..2nd pic is after the mop has been applied

IMG_3063.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

I don't get the foil wrap thing. Why not just stick it an oven at that point? Aren't you just steaming it in foil?

foil wrap time. due to the higher temp i was cooking at the bottom of the ribs burned a bit. i noticed when i was taking off the membrane that the fat content of the bottom layer was quite high. the bbq rub has a bunch of brown sugar..that with the fat made for a bit more bark then desired..but i think they will still come out pretty good.

IMG_3069.jpg

IMG_3070.JPG

you are correct about the steaming..but the oven is just as hot as my smoker. My WSM will maintain a low heat for several more hours. It seriously will be at 250F for the next 2 hrs. If i move it to the oven its just more dishes. Also a lot of ppl dont/and myself included, dont always use the foil method, in this case b/c my cook was hotter then expected so foil wrap was the way togo. its a pretty hot day here in the bay area which is effecting the temp of my grill...in this case its a bit of a shield from the heat, i dont need anymore bark..20 mins togo!

Not sure, think I must have a virus in my computer. Any other ideas?

Edit: I can't even edit them out.

Not sure, think I must have a virus in my computer. Any other ideas?

Edit 2: Hm, seems only to happen in Firefox. Posting from Chrome now.

Archived