Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

.. PROPER BBQ PIT (Smoker) - Weber Kettle Smoker Knock-off

brutox

.. glory, glory! .. good news for traditional BBQ fans (aka 'real men') .. our many years of suffering beneath the yolk of oppression and discriminatory pricing are over.

.. a Weber Kettle knock-off is now available in Thailand at a very reasonable price .. THB 2,700! .. importers are selling the original basic Weber Kettle here for THB 12,700 .. a 4x mark-up on the THB 3,300 it costs in the States!

.. I spied it today at the Home Pro at Mega Bangna in BKK .. the basics are the same as the original Weber Kettle .. this is a proper smoker, not one of those sissy-assed gas-fired contraptions sacrilegiously paraded about as a "BBQ grill" .. contemptuous. blastphemes all of them!

.. to operate, this BBQ grill requires real men who understand charcoal and fire and smoke .. manly men driven by testosterone .. with skills reaching back to the days of brontosaurus t-bones and mastodon rib eyes.

.. fabricated enamel metal kettle .. 22" diameter cook rack .. ash box .. damper .. the detailing and construction tolerances might be less than an original Weber, but I think this is a great value when you compare it with the costs for real smokers here in Thailand.

post-71254-0-03126000-1426851221.jpg

post-71254-0-35048100-1426851236.jpg

.. now .. where to get some mesquite and a brisket!

.. [in case you did not detect in the nuances above, where I come from BBQ is religion]

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw this thread, drove immediately to Homepro (I went to the big one on Sukhumvit) and bought one. Just finished assembling it. I had planned to cook with it today, but an old flame called and snuffed out my cooking opportunity. Nonetheless we made another kind of smoke. I'll try the thing out tomorrow. I'm stoked. Oh, I bought a little oven thermometer at Foodland--160 baht. Not bad. That way I can hopefully keep the thing at the right temp.

Trying to fire it up right now. I might have to find a small grate for the bottom of the firebox--not sure how the coals on the bottom will burn. I'll keep you all updated as everyone seems to be on pins and needles about this. :D

Update #1: up to about 150 F = 70 C. All vents open.

Update #2: up to 250 F about 120C--more than hot enough for barbecue. I'm going to let it heat up as much as possible for now to cure the damned thing even though it probably doesn't need it. Just experimenting now--I'm not cooking anything. The thermometer is very necessary.

Update #3: Seems to max out about 300 F/ 150 C?

Update #4 12:20: Slapped my meat on--2 pound pork butt just as a test. Put the vents to halfway. Will check in a while.

Update #5 12:50: Got it down to about 250 F by setting the vents about 1/2 closed. Closed them down a bit more going for the low and slow after a high start.

Update #6: Trying to force myself not to go fiddle with it.

Update #7 1:20: Failed not to go fiddle with it--used "I should take some pictures" as my excuse. Pictures below:

Barbecue-01.jpg

Barbecue-02.jpg

Barbecue-03.jpg

Barbecue-04.jpg

Barbecue-05.jpg

Update #8 14:44: Went out after less than an hour. Temp was down too low--150F. I had closed the vents too much and had put a layer of unlighted charcoal on top of the burning stuff. The combo dampened the temperature too much. I opened the vents and blew in stoking the fires, things are now back up about perfect--just above water's boiling temp. Bought a second sack of charcoal, but only put a few pieces on this time. Rearranged the thermometer so I can see it through the vent holes now.

I have a possible short time at 5 or 6 pm, so may have to leave it cooking by itself for 15 minutes. Then again I may forgo any extensive foreplay and be back much quicker--a guy has to have priorities!

Update #9 15:30: Things seem to be going along swimmingly. Steady 230-240 F, 110+ C. Hearing meat sizzle noises. Smells are great.

Update#10 16:27: Figured it was time to lift the lid and take some pics of my meat:

Barbecue2-01.jpg

Barbecue2-02.jpg

Can't find my probe/internal meat thermometer, so I'll have to wing it about doneness.

Update #11 18:18: My short time (with a stunning 19 yo girl who I've had some of the best sex of my life with) fell through--I'm a bit relieved. Now I can concentrate on the important things in life--BBQ.

(Disclaimer: if you don't live in Pattaya, you won't understand. The expats are the guys in the gogos with beautiful dancers who are watching the football on the telly even though they don't like sports.)

Edit #12 18:49: I'm drinking beer now, I'll slice up the product of my efforts soon. Pictures might not be so good as I'm drinking that lovely nectar called beer. Pork is hanging out in the BBQ as the coals burn down. BTW, I chose pork butt as it's a bit forgiving. Going for ribs soon--that will be a challenge.

I an interested in hearing how it performs - is it as reliable as the original Weber?

I got some charcoal for 17 baht from the local shop. It's usually eucalyptus I do believe.

I've never had a Weber, so won't be able to compare (at least not a weber smoker)--I don't think this is in the same league, but it seems serviceable so far.

I got some charcoal for 17 baht from the local shop. It's usually eucalyptus I do believe.

I've never had a Weber, so won't be able to compare (at least not a weber smoker)--I don't think this is in the same league, but it seems serviceable so far.

They are a prick to light at the best of times, are you using it as a grill or for roasting?

Webers are the bomb. I had a copy weber at home in California it got many hours of use wish i had room for one of these here

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif

They are a prick to light at the best of times, are you using it as a grill or for roasting?

Piece of cake to light--I take some charcoal and put it on a wire mesh thingie I have and put it over the gas cooker/stove I have. When they are burning (5 minutes or so), I put them in the firebox and add more charcoal. No lighterfluid. I'd like to get a chimney charcoal lighter, actually--maybe I'll have a friend bring one from the states. This method works really well, so I probably won't bother.

I'm using it as a barbecue, not a grill. Barbecue means low and slow cooking, indirect heat. What most people call barbecuing, I call grilling as do all purists (I can't even see you down there as my high horse is so lofty).

Webers are the bomb. I had a copy weber at home in California it got many hours of use wish i had room for one of these here

This thing is seems to be exactly that, with the added barbecuing option. I'm happy with it.

Just slapped my meat on it, we'll see how it goes.

Piece of cake to light--I take some charcoal and put it on a wire mesh thingie I have and put it over the gas cooker/stove I have. When they are burning (5 minutes or so), I put them in the firebox and add more charcoal. No lighterfluid. I'd like to get a chimney charcoal lighter, actually--maybe I'll have a friend bring one from the states. This method works really well, so I probably won't bother.

I'm using it as a barbecue, not a grill. Barbecue means low and slow cooking, indirect heat. What most people call barbecuing, I call grilling as do all purists (I can't even see you down there as my high horse is so lofty).

This thing is seems to be exactly that, with the added barbecuing option. I'm happy with it.

Just slapped my meat on it, we'll see how it goes.

Careful with your meat

babydollsaddict.gif

Do you have enough coals to last the whole BBQ process?  Eg: 1kg of coals for 1 hour of cooking!

That's way too much for one hour when your barbecueing--maybe you need that much when you're grilling. The short answer is yes--a hundred meters from my doorstep are two places selling bags of charcoal. I may need one more, but I doubt it.

Careful with your meat

I have crew of girls who take care of it, so no worries there.

It's so hard not to constantly go check on it.

Edit: That's it, I won't touch it for an hour or so. Really. You can believe me. I've been updating my update post above, including adding some pics.

.. hey! .. heeeeeeeey! .. expatdude!

.. WTF! .. you're killing us man, you're killing us! .. 6 hours have passed since your last report! .. that's S-I-X!

.. I've not been so anxious for a report since Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin hovered above Tranquility Base, looking for a clear LZ, and with less than a minute of fuel remaining.

.. for gawd's sakes man! .. are you still with us?! .. report! .. report!

Edit: .. uh, oh .. your updates are edited into your real time sit-stat above .. umm, sorry, expatdude .. nothing in the BBQ field manual about that .. good man, good man .. carry on.

The meat was not tender--I didn't cook it long enough/didn't get the temperatures quite right. It tasted good, but it was a bit too chewy. I also need an internal meat thermometer--mine has gone walkabout.

I'm still learning how to use the thing. I need to move the oven thermometer around and test different areas of the oven. I'm confident I'll get it right eventually.

Here's what I ended up with last night:

Barbecue3-01.jpg

Barbecue3-02.jpg

Barbecue3-03.jpg

Barbecue3-04.jpg

As I said, it was not yet tender so I made stew with it today. Nice.

This is how I light my charcoal (I was a bit sick today, *cough* *cough*, so stayed home from work and bbq'd again):

Barbecue3-05.jpg

Barbecue3-06.jpg

Then put it in the firebox (afterwards add more charcoal):

Barbecue3-07.jpg

Today, I'm getting the hang of things. Went to Makro and got a big rack of ribs. Had them saw off part so it would lie relatively flat. Here's the small part, the first thing I pulled out:

Barbecue3-08.jpg

Barbecue3-09.jpg

Here's the main rack:

Barbecue3-10.jpg

Barbecue3-11.jpg

Barbecue3-12.jpg

Barbecue3-13.jpg

Barbecue3-14.jpg

Barbecue3-15.jpg

Barbecue3-16.jpg

Still have a big chunk of pork collar (~2 kilos) and a chook (is that how you speel it Aussie guys?) in the thing. Put the chook in when I took out the ribs. Will update. I'm already full--most is destined for the freezer methinks. The ribs were amazing.

.. lookin' goooood, expatdude, lookin' good!

.. guys into smokin', understand there is more art to it than science .. each smoker has its own peculiarities, and will give you a different look depending on how you fire it up, with what you fire it up and how you draft it .. not unlike women.

.. it is written, that a devoted bbq'er has an emotional relationship with his pit .. just like falling in love with a hot little filly, the first 12 to 15 days are the absolute best part .. I am glad to see the sparks flying between you and your new play purdy.

.. I know this is still early days, and your pit is far from seasoned yet .. hasn't even a crusty patina on the underside of the hood.

.. but .. based on where you think this relationship is going, would you recommend that I too make the leap?

.. it is a lot to ask of you, expatdude, I know, I know .. a big responsibility .. but .. we trust you, man.

It will take a while to answer--give me a while. The short answer is it's a low quality piece of kit with some design flaws and a rather low build quality that requires a lot of extra time, thought and ingenuity. If the savings are worth it, then go for it.

Edit: It's been a while since I've had ribs that good.

131a2e5e7db7669595f48537b67d4922.jpg

Get one of these for even cooking

babydollsaddict.gif

Archived