IGNORED

Arriving in bangkok at 11:40 pm

makna

Hi guys, i need your help this is will be my first time to Thailand, i am heading to pattaya on sept 12th  the plane will land at 11:40pm in bangkok i am not sure what's my options, is it too late to catch a bus or any other transportations and if it is safe at night , or if anyone knows of a very close and cheap hotel just for the one night so i can catch some sleep and then head on to pattaya the next morning, i really appriciate any info you guys can give and thanks a lot in advance.

Most hotels offer airport transfers, just arrange it with the hotel to pick you up and drop you off at your hotel in Pattaya. It's not the cheapest option, but it's the one that will start your vacation off without any headaches or hassles.

Ok thanks a lot i think that's what i am going to do i will call the hotel, i just wasn't sure if i will be able to check in really late at night thanks again.

Ok thanks a lot i think that's what i am going to do i will call the hotel, i just wasn't sure if i will be able to check in really late at night thanks again.

No problems checking in late, I usually arrive around midnight. As roadglide said, get the hotel to organise transport for you. It should cost around 1500 baht. It is cheaper booking the car through a private agency but to save the hassle get the hotel to do it

12 Pints in Know it all

Swampy airport is a 24 hour airport. Plenty of flights arrive late at night and in the early AM. There won't be any buses running so either pre arrange a taxi or you can probably use the taxi stand outside. Try to avoid the taxi touts that will approach you in the airport  

Make sure you reserve a room for SEPT 12 the night you arrive not SEPT 13.  Let the hotel know you'll be arriving late.  If you reserve for the 13th you might be waiting till 2PM to check in. (yes it will cost you an extra hotel night, but that's the price you pay for arriving early AM)  All the hotels have a 24 hour front desk so they will be able to check you in, no problem

Swampy airport is between Bangkok and Pattaya so it doesn't make much sense to go BKK for one night. Better off going straight to Pattaya appx. a 90 minute taxi ride as opposed to around 45 minute to Bangkok

Not to be nosy but what hotel are you looking at?  I like the LK chain, and have really started to like the Empress on beach road.

Not to be nosy but what hotel are you looking at? I like the LK chain, and have really started to like the Empress on beach road.

I am looking at galaxy suits I've been looking for a while and i think their offer now is very good at 995 bht a night plus the location, i am flying solo and it's my first time after all

Pre-book a taxi and head straight to pattaya,thats what i would do irrespective of what time i land,give this guy an e-mail     [email protected]  1000 baht all in.

No problems getting to Pattaya at any time of day. hotels usually ok too. You should be checked in around 2 with some luck and good to go around 2.30-ish. You could be hitting BKK around 1-1.30am, if given the choice I'ld save the trip to Pattaya for next morning and go straight to Nana, check in and party.

No problems getting to Pattaya at any time of day. Hotels usually ok too. You should be checked in around 2 with some luck and good to go around 2.30-ish. You could be hitting BKK around 1-1.30am, if given the choice I'ld save the trip to Pattaya for next morning and go straight to Nana, check in and party.

Thanks i think that's what i am going to do, but why Nana is there a reason or just their prices are cheap.

Pre-book a taxi and head straight to pattaya,thats what i would do irrespective of what time i land,give this guy an e-mail [email protected] 1000 baht all in.

Thank you that was helpful but i will pre book it for the next day because i will probably be staying at one of the hotels on ws so with the noise i don't think i will be able to sleep well.

Hi guys, i need your help this is will be my first time to Thailand, i am heading to pattaya on sept 12th  the plane will land at 11:40pm in bangkok i am not sure what's my options, is it too late to catch a bus or any other transportations and if it is safe at night , or if anyone knows of a very close and cheap hotel just for the one night so i can catch some sleep and then head on to pattaya the next morning, i really appriciate any info you guys can give and thanks a lot in advance.

the hotel will charge you an arm and a leg... email  mr t or PT Taxi with your arrival date, time and flight number.  they will pick you up and drop you at your hotel for 1000 baht.

change 100-200 dollars at the airport, no more, you get a way better rate in Pattaya...

I always use PT Taxi, they have been very punctual and dependable!

Nutthawat Prasomsri

I agree with Daddee - why try to negotiate with a taxi driver at the airport JUST to get the same rate you can get by pre-booking with one of the reputable taxi services in Pattaya?

I think the well-known taxi services like Mr. T, PT Taxi, Ann's Private Taxi Service and Tan, among others, are all just as reliable as the hotel sending someone for you, and they're going to save you enough money to cover a ST.  

- Tan may be a little bit more, but she gets rave reviews from BMs and on FB (http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/123363-female-driver-taxi/page-3) (http://www.tanstaxi.com/) 

- I have always been happy with Ann's (http://www.pattaya-taxiservice.com/service%20rate.html)

As with everything, YMMV

On the money issue, since you're in the USA, I highly recommend that you look into a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor checking account -- no fee ATM use around the World and a favorite of mine (along with many other US based BMs).  That would allow you to hit up an ATM as soon as you land and withdraw enough baht to get you to Pattaya and get you started on some fun.

If not, as Daddee suggested change $100-200 USD to cover your trip to Pattaya and some possible fun.  The number of change booths open by the time you get to Pattaya will be limited, but they can certainly be found and the rate -- although not great -- will be better than at BKK airport.

One warning: if you think "screw it! I'll just use my Chase/BofA/Citibank/Wells Fargo ATM card when I land", you're going to get hit with some nasty fees -- ATM fee, foreign transaction fee, etc.  Combined, those can be far worse than the "bad" rate charged at BKK airport, so exchange the cash.

Hope that helps....

I agree with Daddee - why try to negotiate with a taxi driver at the airport JUST to get the same rate you can get by pre-booking with one of the reputable taxi services in Pattaya?

I think the well-known taxi services like Mr. T, PT Taxi, Ann's Private Taxi Service and Tan, among others, are all just as reliable as the hotel sending someone for you, and they're going to save you enough money to cover a ST.  

- Tan may be a little bit more, but she gets rave reviews from BMs and on FB (http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/123363-female-driver-taxi/page-3) (http://www.tanstaxi.com/) 

- I have always been happy with Ann's (http://www.pattaya-taxiservice.com/service%20rate.html)

As with everything, YMMV

On the money issue, since you're in the USA, I highly recommend that you look into a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor checking account -- no fee ATM use around the World and a favorite of mine (along with many other US based BMs).  That would allow you to hit up an ATM as soon as you land and withdraw enough baht to get you to Pattaya and get you started on some fun.

If not, as Daddee suggested change $100-200 USD to cover your trip to Pattaya and some possible fun.  The number of change booths open by the time you get to Pattaya will be limited, but they can certainly be found and the rate -- although not great -- will be better than at BKK airport.

One warning: if you think "screw it! I'll just use my Chase/BofA/Citibank/Wells Fargo ATM card when I land", you're going to get hit with some nasty fees -- ATM fee, foreign transaction fee, etc.  Combined, those can be far worse than the "bad" rate charged at BKK airport, so exchange the cash.

Hope that helps....

totally love the Chase SCHWAB ATM card...  it takes 3-4 business days from when you transfer money to Chase acct to when it is available on the ATM card though...

I ended up spending a bit more than I budgeted, ahem, and used my regular bank atm card, the fees are ridiculous... from both ends...

:)

totally love the Chase ATM card...  it takes 3-4 business days from when you transfer money to Chase acct to when it is available on the ATM card though...

I ended up spending a bit more than I budgeted, ahem, and used my regular bank atm card, the fees are ridiculous... from both ends...

:)

I think you meant Schwab, my brother!  55555

As with everything, YMMV

On the money issue, since you're in the USA, I highly recommend that you look into a Charles Schwab High Yield Investor checking account -- no fee ATM use around the World and a favorite of mine (along with many other US based BMs). That would allow you to hit up an ATM as soon as you land and withdraw enough baht to get you to Pattaya and get you started on some fun.

If not, as Daddee suggested change $100-200 USD to cover your trip to Pattaya and some possible fun. The number of change booths open by the time you get to Pattaya will be limited, but they can certainly be found and the rate -- although not great -- will be better than at BKK airport.

One warning: if you think "screw it! I'll just use my Chase/BofA/Citibank/Wells Fargo ATM card when I land", you're going to get hit with some nasty fees -- ATM fee, foreign transaction fee, etc. Combined, those can be far worse than the "bad" rate charged at BKK airport, so exchange the cash.

Hope that helps....

I have capital one i contacted them and they confirmed that there is no ATM fees abroad but only if you use it on machines that has the cirrus logo, but to be safe i will look into schwab because a lot of people recommend it.

I have capital one i contacted them and they confirmed that there is no ATM fees abroad but only if you use it on machines that has the cirrus logo, but to be safe i will look into schwab because a lot of people recommend it.

That only means you don't have to pay your bank (Capitol One) a fee for using their ATM card overseas. You'll still have to pay the 150B ($5) for using the Thai ATM. Plus a foreign transaction fee which can be as high as 3% on some cards. So thats three different fee's you might have to pay every time you use your ATM card. Get the wrong card and you'll probably be paying US10$ or more in fees every time you use your ATM card.

The Schwab ATM card doesn't charge a fee on their end and it refunds the 150B fee from the Thai ATM and it only has a 1% foreign transaction fee. So that makes it a pretty good deal.

That only means you don't have to pay your bank (Capitol One) a fee for using their ATM card overseas. You'll still have to pay the 150B ($5) for using the Thai ATM. Plus a foreign transaction fee which can be as high as 3% on some cards. So thats three different fee's you might have to pay every time you use your ATM card. Get the wrong card and you'll probably be paying US10$ or more in fees every time you use your ATM card.

The Schwab ATM card doesn't charge a fee on their end and it refunds the 150B fee from the Thai ATM and it only has a 1% foreign transaction fee. So that makes it a pretty good deal.

Yeah i think that's why they recommend schwab, thanks a lot for the clarification.

the fees on my last trip at the atm's were 180 baht...  just to be clear...  and schwab refunds those...  lovely card!

I could say the opposite.

Why bother booking a taxi when you can just go down one floor and get a cab in less than 1 minute...

I still can't understand why people are booking taxis and hotels in asian countries unless they re very inexperienced travellers, wich seems to be the case of the op.

Why bother booking a taxi when you can just go down one floor and get a cab in less than 1 minute...

I still can't understand why people are booking taxis and hotels in asian countries unless they re very inexperienced travellers, wich seems to be the case of the op.

in thailand the taxis don't have seat belts (correct me if I am wrong), and often the drivers in bkk don't know where the hotel you are going to is in Pattaya.  also there is a high probability they will dick you around on the fees, tolls, etc etc.  after spending 20+ hours traveling the last thing I want to do is deal with negotiating the price with a thai taxi driver.

there's some  good reasons...

it's nice to come out of the baggage area and find a smiling guy with your name on a sign waiting to whisk you to your hotel!

I know a lot of people say you can get a taxi on the departures level and save money. I've never tried it myself, seemed like a bigger hassle than it's worth. Plus I know airports put in rules to discourage this practice so the arrivals area doesn't get clogged up with independent taxis looking for fares.

How much do you pay? for a taxi to Pattaya or Bangkok when you get one off the arrivals level?

in thailand the taxis don't have seat belts (correct me if I am wrong), and often the drivers in bkk don't know where the hotel you are going to is in Pattaya.  also there is a high probability they will dick you around on the fees, tolls, etc etc.  after spending 20+ hours traveling the last thing I want to do is deal with negotiating the price with a thai taxi driver.

there's some  good reasons...

it's nice to come out of the baggage area and find a smiling guy with your name on a sign waiting to whisk you to your hotel!

I know a lot of people say you can get a taxi on the arrivals level and save money. I've never tried it myself, seemed like a bigger hassle than it's worth. Plus I know airports put in rules to discourage this practice so the arrivals area doesn't get clogged up with independent taxis looking for fares.

How much do you pay? for a taxi to Pattaya or Bangkok when you get one off the arrivals level?

I have no experience with it, but I've never read someone on PA saying that they consistently get a better deal from the taxis waiting at BKK than the 1000 baht (which includes the tolls) you can get from Mr. T, Ann, etc.  I've seen people say they consistently negotiate the same deal, but almost all taxi drivers start with a higher quote, and you have to negotiate it down.

Unless you're going to tell me that you consistently have taxi drivers at BKK offer to drive you to Pattaya for around 800-900 baht (inclusive of tolls), the only downside I see to pre-booking a taxi is that the driver may not be there....in which case, I'm right back to negotiating that taxi ride from the guys in line, as you are doing (except I've lost 30 minutes in the search for my driver).

In my own experience, I have never had an issue locating my driver, nor have I ever had one fail to show up.

I'd say dont waste your time and money on a hotel in bkk. The bus at airport to Pattaya is close in the evenings, but I'm not sure of exact time. Sure use the hotel transfer for now. In the future u may want to use one of those private taxis like mr. T or taxi Tan(I use her). Dont know what the hotel charges but I would think the cost is higher, not sure. I would think you could find websites and reviews in this forum, or start your own thread. I been using mine about 5 times and never had any problems with her as she is always on time.

Archived