Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Experiences Of Speaking Thai With Bar Girls

Dr.Winston

Well said Doc :stargate001:

I speak very little Thai but enough to get a point over if I have the words LOL.

I have heard farang ruu mak and always wondered what it meant!!! I asked by GF but never said it correctly either that or she dont want to get me pissed off!

Most people find Thai very hard to learn as its a completely alien language to westerners, like learning Chinese etc. Different sounds, different alphabet etc. Just back from netherlands. Never lived there until last month, I was there for 4 weeks, its amazing how quickly you can pick up other european languages and how slow and difficult Thai is.

I must make more of an effort. I try and learn something new every few days on: http://www.thai-language.com/but even thats far from perfect. I say something to my GF when on the phone and there is silence, followed by ... U f*ckin bin ba, whot u try speak ....

Here guys next time your on the phone to your teelac try, soot teelac :P You should get a puking sound with pagwan followed there after :PI am sure the Doc will advise my I think instead of just darling, it means my darling but in a very loving way?

Good thread Doc

My advice? Leave the romance to the ladies lol. Thanks for the laugh.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

hey doc, you stayed in Thailand 2 years and became fluent? Does that mean prior to coming you knew no thai langauge at all?

Can I ask what advice you'd give, or what you did to become fluent. I use all the audio books I can get my hands on, speak thai with people daily, do online courses, learning to read and write myself and also have a few children books and I think I make quite steady progress but I would love any advice on making that jump from just getting by to being able to talk well

Bar girls usually are very impressed considering I've been doing it for 10 months only and am 25 but then, bg's probably looking for a free drink :) And most thai people are impressed but then they're usually being polite or comparing me to someone who lives here but doesn't study thai langauge.

I have been coming to LOS for 17 years and whenever I read one of your posts it makes me realize how little I have learnt about the place and people I love...Dr W O'B scatters yet more pearls of wisdom before us...Essential reading as ever and an inspiration to learning Thai...

PS. Damn we are very fortunate to have you on Addicts my friend :):):Bravo1::Bravo1:

Elephants are really, really big compared to televisions....yet I saw a whole herd of 'em on my TV only yesterday..Go figure?
Oh..I nearly forgot..Ehhhh?

ALLEY

hey doc, you stayed in Thailand 2 years and became fluent? Does that mean prior to coming you knew no thai langauge at all?

Can I ask what advice you'd give, or what you did to become fluent. I use all the audio books I can get my hands on, speak thai with people daily, do online courses, learning to read and write myself and also have a few children books and I think I make quite steady progress but I would love any advice on making that jump from just getting by to being able to talk well

Bar girls usually are very impressed considering I've been doing it for 10 months only and am 25 but then, bg's probably looking for a free drink :Hair_Out1: And most thai people are impressed but then they're usually being polite or comparing me to someone who lives here but doesn't study thai langauge.

No I wasn't fluent after living in Thailand for two years, it's just that two years was when everything just seemed to drop into place for me. I've actually spent about 8 of the past twenty one years in Thailand. I first studied Thai in 1988 from a Linguaphone Course while I was still in England so I had a reasonable foundation for my Thai by the time I went to live there.

Also, fluent is a very flexible term. When I say that I am fluent I mean that I can have a conversation with Thais at their normal pace, without pauses while understanding and being understood. It does not mean that a Thai talking to me on the telephone could not tell I was a foreigner (although, I was once mistaken for a Thai man on the phone by a Thai girl). If I had to attend a Thai scientific seminar then I would probably get a bit lost (I might do at an English one as well).

It sounds like you are doing fine as you are. By the sounds of it you couldn't really do much more than you already are, it's just exposure to the language of a period of years that will really make the difference.

I have been coming to LOS for 17 years and whenever I read one of your posts it makes me realize how little I have learnt about the place and people I love...Dr W O'B scatters yet more pearls of wisdom before us...Essential reading as ever and an inspiration to learning Thai...

PS. Damn we are very fortunate to have you on Addicts my friend :wub::Bow5: :Bow5: :Bow5:

Well judging by the pictures you have been posting you've got some mighty fine reasons! Thank you for the kind words AC :Hair_Out1:

Edited by Dr.Winston O'Boogie

for some reason I thought you were 28 and fluent, I feel better now.

I have the Rosetta Stone CD, and it provides a good foundation for learning the language because it uses pictures to associate with the language concepts, making the language easier to learn. The problem is that most Thai speakers don't speak like the ones on the CD. The best and only way IMO to gain proficiency is exposure and immursion into the language, and the best way to accomplish that is to move to Thailand like the Doc did.

If there were anywhere even remotely local for me to go to for lessons i would go there straight away. Unfortunately there are no Thai language teachers or lessons within a very large distance of my home that i can find. Hence my reliance on the likes of Pimsluer ( not all that great for speaking to BG's from Isaan) and any other online resources.

I can honestly say i have learned as much from my Dictionary and the website

http://www.thai2english.com/

Talking to the girlfriend with those two and my pathetic Thai abilities and i can get by, mostly due to her increasing ability to understand my Scouse English. I make a note of any Lao phrases that she comes out with but i try not to take them in right now hehe. Needless to say there is nothing available for learning Lao from Pimsluer yet.

Incidentally, with judicious use of Copy and Paste, i can send Texts in Thai script and translate them (roughly) if i receive any by using the tools available on the Thai2English website. It is an excellent freebie site.

The Lao lessons are i suspect, largely due to her wanting me to be able to talk directly with her elderly father for a few phrases.

isnt there a temple local, I used to drive to birmingham, 40 minutes each way, but worth it!

For me there was a period that lasted a couple of years (In which I was living in LOS) where it seemed that the more I learned the more I realised I didn't know. After two years it all seemed to just slip into place, li9ke a fog lifting.

That's exactly what I've been waiting for....when I learned French that's exactly what happened, I'm not quite there yet with Thai unfortunately. Now I know lots of useful phrases and a reasonable vocabulary, but it just hasn't meshed yet. Wish I had more time in the LOS to study!

isnt there a temple local, I used to drive to birmingham, 40 minutes each way, but worth it!

Must admit i am a lazy sod when it comes to driving. I am not aware of anything close to me but i suspect Manchester would have a decent one and its only about an hour away on the weekend traffic.

Nothing on merseyside to speak of thats for sure.

Although I am no wear near fluent my Thai was well recieved and I had alot of people help me with extra expressions and correct me in certain ways to say things. The problem I found was with the courses in the UK is that they give a rigid perspective on a way to say something which isnt quite what happens in reality.

I've completed the Pimslar course a few months ago and have been learing various things from other sources. I was able to have a reasonable converstation all be it a relatively simple one, but I always spoke slowly which was appreciated as many of my Thai friends said that many Farang speak too quickly so they just dont understand them.

I'm planning on getting a 1-to-1 teacher for a couple of sessions a week now as I think this will help improve my Thai considerably more as well as learning from books/internet. Although its a challenge I really enjoy it and having just got back from a month in Patts it helped enhance my experience much more than last time.

I'd be very beware about learning from BG's though and would always check what your saying before spouting off a new word or sentence.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Although I am no wear near fluent my Thai was well recieved and I had alot of people help me with extra expressions and correct me in certain ways to say things. The problem I found was with the courses in the UK is that they give a rigid perspective on a way to say something which isnt quite what happens in reality.

I've completed the Pimslar course a few months ago and have been learing various things from other sources. I was able to have a reasonable converstation all be it a relatively simple one, but I always spoke slowly which was appreciated as many of my Thai friends said that many Farang speak too quickly so they just dont understand them.

I'm planning on getting a 1-to-1 teacher for a couple of sessions a week now as I think this will help improve my Thai considerably more as well as learning from books/internet. Although its a challenge I really enjoy it and having just got back from a month in Patts it helped enhance my experience much more than last time.

I'd be very beware about learning from BG's though and would always check what your saying before spouting off a new word or sentence.

The Thai courses do have to stick to teaching standard central Thai. In the long term this is a good thing. Once your Thai reaches a useful level you will be judged by the way you speak the language. Eventually you will find it quite easy to learn the less formal Thai.

There's nothing wrong with learning a few bits of colloquial Thai for a laugh but my advice is don't get too caught up in it, IME the novelty of hearing a farang talk like a country bumpkin wears off quite fast. And yes, a lot of the Thai BG's don't speak very good Thai themselves.

• 8 months later...
You will often hear Thailand ex-pats or old hands say "BG's don't like it when you speak Thai with them" The implication is that if you speak Thai with them that they will automatically put you into the Farang Ruu Maak" (Farang who knows too much) category. This does happen, I have heard farang ruu maak said many times in bars and Go Go's. The thing is that in my experience the girls who might be put off by this are usually the ones that you would want to avoid anyway. If they only want a farang who knows a little then what does that tell you about their intentions?

One group of BG's that love it when you can speak Thai are the Farm fresh new girls. They must feel very intimidated in their new environment. All those scary foreigners around that they cannot communicate with. Can you imagine what a relief it must be to them to find a foreigner that they can actually sit down and talk to? Mamasans will often bring the newest girls over to good foreigners that can speak Thai. I have been many BG's first customer for this reason.

On a deeper level I feel that you can bypass many of the barriers and defenses that they build up by speaking Thai with them. Over a period of time BG's will get used to the type of conversations that they have with customers (nearly alway in English). Their responses to the most common questions can become almost automatic. How many times do you think that they here "where are you from?" Many BG's are wary of becoming too attached to customers, they have learned that it causes a lot of heart break for them. Over time they build up defenses and responses to prevent this from happening. I have found that many of these defenses are bypassed when your Thai is good enough. Almost like you are approaching them from an angle that they are not used to defending against.

I have often had them stare at me and say "please stop" it's not because they are not enjoying the interaction (you can tell if a girl really likes you) it's because they can feel themselves being drawn in because you have bypassed their defenses with a level of communication that they just aren't used to from customers.

I also find that I tend to be viewed by them as an "insider" in their worlds. They will include me in their conversations and ask my advice on things.

Please do not be put off by those that would discourage you from learning to speak Thai. Once your Thai reaches a certain level the benefits will be worth the effort you have put into learning it.

I couldn't agree more. I do find though that there are girlfriends of friends and customers who refuse to speak Thai with me. I find it strange considering my language abilities are 99.9% of the time are more advanced than theirs. I have been improving my Thai for 12 years, and can hold conversations with anyone on any subject, but ex-BG's are the only ones who I find resistance from. I found the best way to counter act this is to stop understanding their English unless its grammatically correct, with a good pronunciation. There are genuine times when I don't understand them, I refer to these women as "Yoda's" Rot bus no you lady go now etc etc. The advice I would give to anyone who spends time in the land of smiles is try to learn the language, it definitely helps.

I couldn't agree more. I do find though that there are girlfriends of friends and customers who refuse to speak Thai with me. I find it strange considering my language abilities are 99.9% of the time are more advanced than theirs. I have been improving my Thai for 12 years, and can hold conversations with anyone on any subject, but ex-BG's are the only ones who I find resistance from. I found the best way to counter act this is to stop understanding their English unless its grammatically correct, with a good pronunciation. There are genuine times when I don't understand them, I refer to these women as "Yoda's" Rot bus no you lady go now etc etc. The advice I would give to anyone who spends time in the land of smiles is try to learn the language, it definitely helps.

Personally, I've never noticed any resistence from ex-bar girls to speaking Thai. Perhaps they are in denial of their past? I've seen that happen in the UK where I've witnessed Thais that are settled long term in the UK refuse to speak Thai with other Thais over here (UK). I think it's a kind of snobbery. It sounds like your Thai must be really good and I'm sure that you, like me, do not regret learning it for one minute.

I've had different experiences. I don't speak Thai well, but since a took some classes, I understand what the conversation is about even if I don't understand everything.

One day I was at my regular bar and a LB which I know for 3 yrs was teaching me some new words and explaning about the tones. Than I heard her mamasen (also a LB) say to her that she shouldn't learn Thai to farang.

The last time I was with a girl for the last 10 days and she told me it would be nice if I could improve my thai, so she could have better conversations with me. It made me believe that if they really care about you, they don't mind you speak Thai well. Maybe it just deends on the person.

Once someone told me, most Thai people WON'T help you learn Thai, but once you know it, they pretty much apreciate it. Don't know if there's any truth in this though.

Another reason to why some longtime working bargirls doesn't like farangs who speaks Thai to them in the bars is that they immediately assumes you have a Thai girlfriend or wife (that has taught you), and hence doesn't trust you and thinks you are a liar and cheating on your wife/girlfriend! :001_Sawasdee:

Plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

• 4 weeks later...
Well said Doc :LMAO1:

I speak very little Thai but enough to get a point over if I have the words LOL.

I have heard farang ruu mak and always wondered what it meant!!! I asked by GF but never said it correctly either that or she dont want to get me pissed off!....................................

This is quite an old post so you may have learnt about ruu mak รู้มาก by now.

It's a favourite phrase of the BG to use against farang who can speak a little Thai. Most people take it as a compliment as in "Knows much"- but it doesn't mean that. It can mean take advantage of, tricky, selfish or shrewd/greedy.

Usually it is used humorously as the farang doesn't actually know so much and thinks that it's a compliment

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

When I met the GF my Thai was non-existent. Her English was just as bad. Paid for her to go to school and she started teaching me. Now in the house we have our own language class that confuses our visitors. She speaks English, I reply/speak Thai.

Few years ago when first visited the village had no idea what was being said. Now know all the simple phrases.

From are you hungry, thirsty, you can/want go shower now, where is (add), we go into town now, what you do later.

Learning to count and tell the time (Bluidy strange) in Thai all helps from telling taxi drivers when to turn right/left/straight ahead and stop.

Suddenly it all falls into place when you realise for the first time you are following a Thai converstion when on a baht bus???

Your TGF will be happy when you can speak with mama and papa, your now Con-Thai, not a tourist who lives in Thailand. Though my GF was told when up Pitsanalouk. "Why Farang speak Thai like man from Lao??". Obviously my dulcet Scottish tones are to blame 555 555 555 LOL

Agree with Dr Winston O' at the start of this thread.

Watch out and keep away and/or be suspicious of those girls that do not want you to learn/speak Thai. Ask yourself why? Yes that is why, you've got it?

Edited by td5855

So you want to live in Isaan?   Tale of a journey started 1973 with a stepfather, arrive 2004, "Wife in Issan" 2017.......    ..            An unplanned, unknown and unforeseen  journey spanning 51 years ending well  !!

I've .... seen things ..... you people would never believe...............

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I've lived here coming up to 3 years now. In that time I've learnt a few words and phrases. I found I understand it better than I can speak it. I've found its better to deny any knowledge of knowing their language. That way, when they start yacking to each other in the bar about you, you find out what they really think about you. If they do catch on you know what they are talking about they will either switch to Cambodian or Lao, at which point you've lost.

I've also found in that time, that if you do manage to find a thai girl willing to teach you her language, hang on to her, its obvious from her offer that she's developed far enough out of that mental stigma that us fallangs know too much attitude.

I've lived here coming up to 3 years now. In that time I've learnt a few words and phrases. I found I understand it better than I can speak it. I've found its better to deny any knowledge of knowing their language. That way, when they start yacking to each other in the bar about you, you find out what they really think about you. If they do catch on you know what they are talking about they will either switch to Cambodian or Lao, at which point you've lost.....

Switch to Lao???? If a group of bar girls are having a chat and they are all from Isaan, they will not be speaking central Thai in the first place.

If you have learnt a few words and phrases, it is very easy to think that you have an idea of what they are talking about . But it is also very easy to misunderstand, especially in a noisy bar.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

Switch to Lao???? If a group of bar girls are having a chat and they are all from Isaan, they will not be speaking central Thai in the first place.

If you have learnt a few words and phrases, it is very easy to think that you have an idea of what they are talking about . But it is also very easy to misunderstand, especially in a noisy bar.

I've found that once you've learned the key differences it's pretty easy to undertsand Laos/Isaan dialect when they speak it. Like you say, as often as not that is what BG's use to speak to each other anyway.

Know enuff Thai to get into trouble...that was easy. Now trying to learn enuff Thai to get outta trouble. That seems to be a lot harder. Funny that.

My son lives and works daily with non english speaking Thais. Took him about a year or so to start thinking in Thai and not translating back to english in his head. He says that once he got to that stage it fell into place a lot easier. That seems to be the key to it. Think youth helps as well. Seems harder for us older ones to get it. Maybe too many years of alcohol abuse to the brain cells.

My personal experience is that my very limited Thai (probably 20-30 phrases)

is a big help. And if you are fluent then Thailand would be your oyster.

First time I came to Pattaya I got them to teach me amusing phrases in

both Thai and Issan/Lao.

The key anyway is to make a girl laugh, their defences go down. If you

are a fun to be around, speaking Thai is only going to make you more

desirable not less.

Once I get my French to semi-fluent level I will come to Thailand for

6 months and learn the languauge intensively. I figure 5-6 hours

a day, you should be able to communicate effectively in 3-6 months.

And as others have pointed out this opens up learning other tonal languages.

My personal experience is that my very limited Thai (probably 20-30 phrases)

is a big help. And if you are fluent then Thailand would be your oyster.

First time I came to Pattaya I got them to teach me amusing phrases in

both Thai and Issan/Lao.

The key anyway is to make a girl laugh, their defences go down. If you

are a fun to be around, speaking Thai is only going to make you more

desirable not less.

Once I get my French to semi-fluent level I will come to Thailand for

6 months and learn the languauge intensively. I figure 5-6 hours

a day, you should be able to communicate effectively in 3-6 months.

And as others have pointed out this opens up learning other tonal languages.

Thats quite a dedication and I there is no doubt you will learn alot in those 6 months but its going to take a good few years before getting to a decent competent level.

Studying for 5-6 hours a day would fry my brain and my concentration would go. I have two 1.5 hour lessons a week with my BBK teacher and those sessions are long enough for me. The amount of time it takes and practice in getting used to all the rules / vocab takes time to settle in for me.

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)