IGNORED

Bell buses

... you wrote, "or take the bigger bus to Jomtien"?

... were you crammed into a van, or a full-size coach bus? ... were you deposited at Pattaya Bus Terminal, or Jomtien?

... what you took does not sound as a Bell Bus, which as far as I know runs only full-size coach buses (50-passenger buses, as opposed to vans) between Suvarnabhumi, and does not go to Jomtien ... their terminal is at the public Pattaya Bus Terminal.

... might you have been scammed by a tout claiming to be Bell Bus, but shuttled you through to some Brand X bus service? ... wouldn't be the first time ... the Thai scams before you've even set foot outside of the airport terminal.

... I've live here and have used Bell several times ... always delivered on time, comfortable, inexpensive.

It was the Bell bus

• 1 month later...

I use it almost each time I find it really well for the price.

If there were a shuttle every hour that will be perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Bell buses everytime I've gone to Pattaya from the airport, the hour earlier arrival isn't worth the taxi fare.

I took the Bell bus from Suvarnaboomboom once.

It still ranks alongside some of the worst travel experiences of my life. Crammed in like sardines with a horde of Jet airlines passengers and a guy who insisted on reclining his seat to within an inch of my face...then all the phaffing around when you get to Patts being dropped off at your destination...not what you need after a 12 hour flight.

I'd rather call Mr T and spend 1000 baht or take the bigger bus which goes to Jomtien but always seems to be full when I want to use it.

... you wrote, "or take the bigger bus to Jomtien"?

... were you crammed into a van, or a full-size coach bus? ... were you deposited at Pattaya Bus Terminal, or Jomtien?

... what you took does not sound as a Bell Bus, which as far as I know runs only full-size coach buses (50-passenger buses, as opposed to vans) between Suvarnabhumi, and does not go to Jomtien ... their terminal is at the public Pattaya Bus Terminal.

... might you have been scammed by a tout claiming to be Bell Bus, but shuttled you through to some Brand X bus service? ... wouldn't be the first time ... the Thai scams before you've even set foot outside of the airport terminal.

... I've live here and have used Bell several times ... always delivered on time, comfortable, inexpensive.

It was the Bell bus

... I just took Bell Travel's bus to Pattaya and back, and I have half a dozen or so times now ... as others here, their service is exactly as billed ... on time, safe, comfortable, THB 200 o/w, no messing around ... in Thailand, this sort of reliable service by a local-local company is uncommon.

... for those who are at times confused by the vagaries of travel, be aware that Bell Travel sells tickets at a Suvarnabhumi Airport ticket booth shared with other bus and van services ... for acutely jet-lagged, or inexperienced travellers, this might prove confusing ... as I suspect Columbus, above, some might be duped by fraudulent means, or a simple misunderstanding, and might mistakenly buy into another's less than favorable service.

... I checked with the Bell Travel manager before departing Suvarnabhumi ... Bell Travel has never owned, nor operated a van service, as Columbus erroneously cited ... ever ... anywhere ... other than the local shuttle from the Pattaya bus depot to the local hotels.

... Columbus's criticism of Bell Travel, above, is probably the consequence of a misunderstanding ... an unfair indictment of a very good service I believe will continue to do quite well.

... at THB 200 o/w and exactly 1-1/2 hours, I believe this blows the doors off of any transit alternatives, assuming your flight arrival neatly coincides with their bus departure schedule.

Edited by brutox

Hunter S. Thompson Insert.jpg

... I just took Bell Travel's bus to Pattaya and back, and I have half a dozen or so times now ... as others here, their service is exactly as billed ... on time, safe, comfortable, THB 200 o/w, no messing around ... in Thailand, this sort of reliable service by a local-local company is uncommon.

... for those who are at times confused by the vagaries of travel, be aware that Bell Travel sells tickets at a Suvarnabhumi Airport ticket booth shared with other bus and van services ... for acutely jet-lagged, or inexperienced travellers, this might prove confusing ... as I suspect Columbus, above, some might be duped by fraudulent means, or a simple misunderstanding, and might mistakenly buy into another's less than favorable service.

... I checked with the Bell Travel manager before departing Suvarnabhumi ... Bell Travel has never owned, nor operated a van service, as Columbus erroneously cited ... ever ... anywhere ... other than the local shuttle from the Pattaya bus depot to the local hotels.

... Columbus's criticism of Bell Travel, above, is probably the consequence of a misunderstanding ... an unfair indictment of a very good service I believe will continue to do quite well.

... at THB 200 o/w and exactly 1-1/2 hours, I believe this blows the doors off of any transit alternatives, assuming your flight arrival neatly coincides with their bus departure schedule.

well said mate..............

:Clap9: :Clap9: :Clap9: :Clap9:

Dayo...

• 2 weeks later...

I was about to write a question abuot how Bell Travels new pre-paid bookings work, but looking at their website it seems like it is not online yet.

Dear passengers,

Our new booking system is not completed yet so you can make a booking via this website until the end of 2012.

Edited by izzyg

... the fact that these guys, a Thai-Thai company, are even thinking about this level of service is a great credit to them ... few small Thai companies aspire to more than "do just enough" (the Thai business culture's universal standard) ... good for them ... I been taking the Bell Bus for the last 6-weeks, once a week, and will continue to do so ... they've never failed to be on-time for me.

... if your flight arrival and departure times correspond closely to their bus schedule, I would take the Bell Bus over a taxi, unless I just positively, absolutely needed to check into my Pattaya hotel 15-20-minutes before the Bell Bus.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Need advice: I also used Bell already and will do it again this year.

My return flight on 11th Dec is at 8:40pm.

Do you think that the bus leaving Pattaya at 5:00pm is ok or should I take the bus 2 hours earlier.

I counted 2 hours travel. Then beeing at the airport at 7:00 pm would just suit to be there 90 min before take-off.

Or is there a risk that the bus needs more than 2 hours?

Do you think that the bus leaving Pattaya at 5:00pm is ok or should I take the bus 2 hours earlier.

I counted 2 hours travel. Then beeing at the airport at 7:00 pm would just suit to be there 90 min before take-off.

That should be ok as the bus usually takes about 1hour 30 mins so you should be at airport at about 18.30.

That should be ok as the bus usually takes about 1hour 30 mins so you should be at airport at about 18.30.

... jochen_we ... seconding bazkashmir.

... for the last 10-12 weeks I've taken the Bell Bus one day each week, down from Suvarnabhumi and back, and have a very good sense for their reliability ... returning equally on the 3.00p and 5.00p buses, they've never taken more than 1-1/2 hours to get to the airport.

... for your 8.40p flight, I would take the 5.00p bus with no concerns ... no sweat.

Edited by brutox

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the low cost airlines are flyinmg in to Don Muang the trip to Pattaya is now a lot longer.

Bell do a shuttle between Don Munang and Suvarnabumi and then on to Pattaya. Bt350; three times a day. When I went last month I somehow missed them at Dom Muang (I think I was at the wrong exit gate) so when I did not see them I jumped on the airport shuttle bus. Now whether it is really free or whether the conductress was too idle to come round and collect fares from the 5 of us I don't know. But I did not pay for the 45 minute trip to Suvarnabumi. When I got there Bell were concerned that I'd missed their bus and booked me through to Pattaya on their next bus for their standard price for that sector.

Of course when the pay in advance system starts (it was stated to be from 1 December) I won't be able to do things like that.

Returning from Pattaya the trip was totally uneventful - around 3 hours total. We stayed on the Patts/Svb bus and it then continued with us to DM.

I've been using Bell for years. Fully recommended still.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont dare to book as from 1 december I must pay in advance. If my flight is late and next ride is full I might not get the money back. I just go to their counter and hope there is a seat for me. If not I go by airportpattayabus http://airportpattayabus.com/2012/

... Hedonis ... a Bell Bus booking is worth the small risk, if your flight's arrival is not a close connection ... (and, it's only THB 200 ... cost of a 1-1/2 beers) ... 20-minutes would be too close a connection ... I would risk 30-minutes ... anything more than 45-minutes would be a pretty good bet

... if you do the state-owned airport pattaya bus you cite above (billed at the airport as Roong Reueng Bus), you will spend THB 134 for a less than new bus which will deposit you at their Pattaya terminal ... you then have to pay someone to get from their terminal to your hotel ... (Bell Bus has a fleet of current model shuttle vans that take you directly to your hotel, included in their price).

... don't know what local transportation is available from the state-owned bus terminal, but worry you might be held hostage to extortionate rates as a tourist at peak season. especially if you arrive evening ... the only advantage to the state-owned buses is that they run hourly ... Bell Bus runs each 2 hours.

... just an update on Bell Bus ... I took it this morning from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya, and made the trip in one of their brand new motor coaches ... European quality ... aircraft-style interiors ... these guys are really quite service-oriented ... a rarity amongst way too many Thai companies.

... I've done maybe 15 r/t's with Bell Bus over the last 4-5 months, and just can't be more happy with their service .. a great value.

... and incidentally, the state-owned 'Roong Reueng' bus service shares the same counter as Bell Bus.

Edited by brutox

... Hedonis ... a Bell Bus booking is worth the small risk, if your flight's arrival is not a close connection ... (and, it's only THB 200 ... cost of a 1-1/2 beers) ... 20-minutes would be too close a connection ... I would risk 30-minutes ... anything more than 45-minutes would be a pretty good bet

... if you do the state-owned airport pattaya bus you cite above (billed at the airport as Roong Reueng Bus), you will spend THB 134 for a less than new bus which will deposit you at their Pattaya terminal ... you then have to pay someone to get from their terminal to your hotel ... (Bell Bus has a fleet of current model shuttle vans that take you directly to your hotel, included in their price).

... don't know what local transportation is available from the state-owned bus terminal, but worry you might be held hostage to extortionate rates as a tourist at peak season. especially if you arrive evening ... the only advantage to the state-owned buses is that they run hourly ... Bell Bus runs each 2 hours.

... just an update on Bell Bus ... I took it this morning from Suvarnabhumi Airport to Pattaya, and made the trip in one of their brand new motor coaches ... European quality ... aircraft-style interiors ... these guys are really quite service-oriented ... a rarity amongst way too many Thai companies.

... I've done maybe 15 r/t's with Bell Bus over the last 4-5 months, and just can't be more happy with their service .. a great value.

... and incidentally, the state-owned 'Roong Reueng' bus service shares the same counter as Bell Bus.

I have used Bell consistently over the past 5 years (32 times) but now that their NEW booking system is in place I am having my doubts-at least for the trip from Swampy down to Patts.Last month I missed my 8am bus by 2 minutes and upon asking if they had room on the 10am bus I was told to book on the 9am Roong Rueng-this I did and upon getting to their office in Jomtien I walked across the road and took a songtaw which dropped me off at the bottom of soi Diana from there I had a ten minute walk to my apartment-cost 134 baht+10 baht-what concerns me is if I had pre-paid with Bell and my flight was late in again for the 8am bus and they had no room on the 10am bus I would have lost this money and had to use the other service-next month when I return I will be hoping to catch the 8am Bell bus but will only book it when I arrive at the airport-if there is room of course-250 baht if booked at airport,if not I will go down on the 9am Jomtien bus as before-doesn,t suit everyone but the location of my apartment close to the songtaw route is fine for me-the return to the airport will of course be with Bell.

Just my thoughts :GoldenSmile1:

I have used Bell consistently over the past 5 years (32 times) but now that their NEW booking system is in place I am having my doubts-at least for the trip from Swampy down to Patts.Last month I missed my 8am bus by 2 minutes and upon asking if they had room on the 10am bus I was told to book on the 9am Roong Rueng-this I did and upon getting to their office in Jomtien I walked across the road and took a songtaw which dropped me off at the bottom of soi Diana from there I had a ten minute walk to my apartment-cost 134 baht+10 baht-what concerns me is if I had pre-paid with Bell and my flight was late in again for the 8am bus and they had no room on the 10am bus I would have lost this money and had to use the other service-next month when I return I will be hoping to catch the 8am Bell bus but will only book it when I arrive at the airport-if there is room of course-250 baht if booked at airport,if not I will go down on the 9am Jomtien bus as before-doesn,t suit everyone but the location of my apartment close to the songtaw route is fine for me-the return to the airport will of course be with Bell.

Just my thoughts :GoldenSmile1:

... as you. I missed one of their buses by 2 minutes, and they knew I was in the taxi arrivals hall upstairs ... late, sure, but in the building ... I was pissed ... after I calmed, though, I had to admit that their western-style respect for schedule (a very un-Thai notion) is what makes their service good ... I got over it.

... and ... maybe I am missing something, but I am paying THB 200 for the walk-up rate.

... as you. I missed one of their buses by 2 minutes, and they knew I was in the taxi arrivals hall upstairs ... late, sure, but in the building ... I was pissed ... after I calmed, though, I had to admit that their western-style respect for schedule (a very un-Thai notion) is what makes their service good ... I got over it.

... and ... maybe I am missing something, but I am paying THB 200 for the walk-up rate.

On the new website it says 250 baht :Think1:

On the new website it says 250 baht :Think1:

... haven't looked at their website, since I live here and don't use it for my bookings ... just returned to Suvarnabhumi from Pattaya this afternoon ... paid THB 200 ... go figure. :Think1:

Edited by brutox

... haven't looked at their website, since I live here and don't use it for my bookings ... just returned to Suvarnabhumi from Pattaya this afternoon ... paid THB 200 ... go figure. :Think1:

I booked online last monday in patts to return to swampy- cost me 230 baht-and the rate quoted for walk up IS 250 this is ALL on the new website

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Bell before and will do so again. However, I'm trying to book a journey from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya in March and it keeps giving me a "no results found" message. I've tried dummy bookings for other bus times on the same date and it appears to only be the 8am is available.

Whilst I'm sure its popular, I find it hard to believe its sold out already. I've emailed the site to enquire but not had a response.

Otters-pocket-thong.png

Took the bell bus on the way back out last Monday... I've used them since they began operation...

Booked online... Their *new* website is a mess... it sort of works, but there is no real confirmation, or way to verify your booking.... plus the site charges you booking plus cc (or xchange rate fees)...

Mini bus arrived at the hotel 15 minutes late (par for them...)

Arrived at the bus station, and it was a cluster fuck... they had 2 buses setup (1 for swampy, 1 for swampy and bkk) but no real clue where to put people...

Whatever happened when they switched over (did they change owners?), they have thrown away their previous very nice and efficent operation and replaced it with the keystone cops...

Bus finally departed for the airport 30 min late... got there in 90 min...

Overall, their new operation needs a lot of work to make it on par with what it used to be...

Would I use them again? I'll try again on my next trip in 3 months... and hope they straighten things out...

I've used Bell before and will do so again. However, I'm trying to book a journey from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya in March and it keeps giving me a "no results found" message. I've tried dummy bookings for other bus times on the same date and it appears to only be the 8am is available.

Whilst I'm sure its popular, I find it hard to believe its sold out already. I've emailed the site to enquire but not had a response.

You can ONLY book for the same month-yes I know its crazy-but you,ll have to wait until March comes around and then it will accept your booking. :SoWhat1:

You can ONLY book for the same month-yes I know its crazy-but you,ll have to wait until March comes around and then it will accept your booking. :SoWhat1:

Thanks mate. Interesting system but I'll hang fire for now.

Otters-pocket-thong.png

Booked online... Their *new* website is a mess... it sort of works, but there is no real confirmation, or way to verify your booking.... plus the site charges you booking plus cc (or xchange rate fees)...

Whatever happened when they switched over (did they change owners?), they have thrown away their previous very nice and efficent operation and replaced it with the keystone cops...

Bus finally departed for the airport 30 min late... got there in 90 min...

Overall, their new operation needs a lot of work to make it on par with what it used to be...

Put me down as another regular Bell Bus customer who isn't very happy with their new operation and WebSite. I've used them over 20 times during the past 3 or 4 years, and always been very happy with their service. But now:

1) Their rates have increased by about 15% to 25% (depending on whether you're talking about the 230 Baht rate or the 250 Baht rate. I don't really mind this increase since, even at the new higher rates, I think their rates are very reasonable.

2) I really dislike having to pay online through Kasikorn Bank. It's not only inconvenient, but their exchange rate isn't very good. I can understand their wanting to get payment up-front if they were having trouble with "no-shows." But I don't really think that was much of a problem (except possibly for having to find out if everyone had shown up at the last minute). And I think that problem was largely handled when they began requiring that you show up (or call them) ten or fifteen minutes ahead of departure time. And, even if there were "no-shows," they didn't seem to have any trouble filling the busses with late-arrival walk-in customers (so little or no effect on their bottom line).

3) Apparently they've now started over-booking. There have always been enough seats in the past, but on my last trip with them (from Pattaya to Suvarnabhumi in November) there was so much luggage that they had to stack luggage in the aisle, and several passengers had to sit on the luggage because there were no more seats. Maybe this was just a one-time thing, but I've never seen it in the past. So they've tightened up the requirements for reserving a seat, but now (apparently) no longer guarantee a seat unless you're willing to sit on top of a pile of luggage.

4) Maybe they've tried to address the excess luggage problem by now specifying only one "checked" item and one "carry-on," but my moderately sized "carry-on," which fits in all the airline overhead compartments, won't fit in their smaller overhead rack. I can fit it in under my feet, but are they going to refuse to let me carry it on since I also have a small "over-the-shoulder bag (10" x 10" x 2 1/2" - smaller than most women's purses)?

5) I never did receive a confirming email when I made a reservation for a trip from Suvarnabhumi to Pattaya next month (January 2013). Luckily, I kept a copy of the confirmation on their WebSite before closing my browser. (I used to always receive a confirming email.)

I, too, am wondering if they've changed owners. It seems that they've become much less "user-friendly." I hope that, at least, their basic service (reliable, on-time - most of the time - departures, excellent pick-up and drop-off service, good drivers, and - except for my last trip - good, comfortable seats for all passengers) remains the same. Rather than their new "user-unfriendly" policies, I'd prefer that they keep things the same as in the past even if they felt they need to raise their prices a bit more (300 Baht wouldn't be unreasonable).

I realize I'm probably directing my complaints to the wrong audience. But I wanted to share my comments with other BM's and, if you feel the same, maybe it would help if we voice our concerns to the Bell Bus staff when showing up to utilize their services. I should probably be sending this as an email directly to Bell Travel Service. But I'm not sure they read their email. At least I got no response from them when I sent an email about not being able to make a reservation more than a month in advance (and it appeared that my attempt only generated an error - an invalid search request). The form on their WebSite appears to accept reservation dates several months in advance, and I see no indication that this isn't the case (except for the search error when you try to do so, but with no explanation of the cause of the error).

O.K. I'll get off my soapbox now. My apologies, but thanks for reading.

Bakwan