IGNORED

Ed' Visa the Easy Option........or not?

Edge

CHIANG MAI:-- Seventeen foreigners have been arrested for working illegally following a raid on a condominium in Chiang Mai.

The raid, which took place at 12.30am on Friday found 17 Westerners of various nationalities providing online English classes to people in China from a room in the ground floor of the Riverside Condo.

Upon being apprehended by police, the foreigners were asked to produce their passports and work permits.

However, whilst twelve of the individuals could produce their passports, they were unable to produce work permits.

Among those who could not produce work permits were three Americans, a Canadian, a German, a Dutch national, two Irish nationals, two Britons and two Australians.

As well as not having a work permit, it was also revealed that a fourth American was on overstay.

The remaining foreigners had passports and valid work permits but were in breach of work conditions.

According to the Bangkok Post, the foreigners had been hired by BOI 360 Max Co, however the online language school was found to be operating without permission.

10 notebook computers were also seized.

The foreigners now have of face charges of working illegally in Thailand and are currently being held at Mai Ping police station.

In order to work legally in Thailand foreigners are required to have a valid work permit and the appropriate Non-Immigrant visa/extension.

I asked my classmate about his status after I saw this come across my email this afternoon. He said that he had expressed some concerns about it to his employers and that his employers had applied for a work permit for him and they might already have it, though somehow they did this application without getting any papers from him or him having to go do anything.

Myself, I think they are stringing him along.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The raid in Chang Mai was just a quick low hanging fruit win for the local police. A group of 15-20 of obvious foriener white dudes would gather at a CONDO each day to teach English over the net. Add on the fact the owner promoted the business over the net and recruited people in plain sight. They were getting paid in Baht. Pretty much the most blatant business around.

If they simply worked individually out of their own apartments and all payments were electronic ( no cash changing hands ) this would have never came to light. Or perhaps they could have done it out of BKK in a proper office where it isn't strange for 20 people to show up with laptops every day......

Edit: Also the fact all these workers were a form of illegal English teacher fucked things up further. illegal English teachers are target #1 when it comes to the people that the Thai gov wishes to purge from the country. If they were a bunch of wealthy tech workers building websites or something I bet some tea money would be requested and that's it.

..................Or perhaps they could have done it out of BKK in a proper office where it isn't strange for 20 people to show up with laptops every day......

They collared a minibus with 12-13 illegal teachers on in Bangkok a couple of years ago - most had visas of some sort but no WPs.

today we had a visit by 2 Jomtien Immigration officials to our school in Pattaya... they came up to our class and pulled one of the students... he came back to the class after a few minutes, and then they took a photo of him in the classroom with the immigration official near his side... on their way out, they spotted a guy in our class who moved to our class from a more advanced class that had dwindled to too small a number of students...they asked him how long had he been in Thailand... he told them 2 years... they asked for his passport... he didn't have it... I guess he didn't have a copy either, not that they asked... they said that they need to see his passport... I guess they are going to return to the school - our teacher said they had been there last Friday too...

they also asked our teacher how many days a week she teaches class and she said - 2 days... an immigration officer asked her why not 4 days a week as that is the new rule... she told them she can't change to 4 days a week as her schedule is fully booked... I don't think the immigration officer liked what he heard from her, but he didn't have anything to say about that and left the class...

also, we were told by the lady at the school who handles the Visa processing and deals with immigration that the new rule seems to be 5,000 THB per each 90 day extension on the ED Visa (up from 1,900 THB)... but with the 5,000 THB change, I think (not sure, but she seemed to be saying this), the school will drop off your Visa paperwork, and all you have to do is pick up your passport and get photographed... she said that a student told her that he went and paid 1,900 THB (recently) and they stamped his Visa for 14 days only... turns out that that might have been the guy in our class, who they pulled/photographed today, as he told me that he had been stamped for 14 days only when he went to Jomtien recently ... I am not sure if he just has to pay the extra THB to get up to 5,000 THB to get his 90 day extension, or what...

also the lady at the school who handles the immigration process said something about that the school will have to charge 2 times the amount if they go to 4 days a week... so we are talking about 46,000 THB (for 2 sets of 180 hours of training) under the new, 4 days a week of class rules... so that would cost a person:

46,000 THB for 1 year of 4 days a week training at the school, and their includes their Visa paperwork processing)

3 * 5,000 THB = 15,000 THB - for Thai Immigration for three 90 day extensions...

total is 61,000 THB (or about $1,872 USD at today's exchange rate per the internet - less $'s than what you get in reality with any method), and that is without having to pay for leaving the country to get your first ED Visa stamp (in a place like Vientiane, Laos, etc)... or, someone new to the process would probably get the ED Visa before they left their home of record (e.g., in the States at a Thai embassy, consulate, etc) - and not have to have that extra cost...

so, ED Visa under the new rules - more expensive than before - and 4 days of class a week instead of 2 - so you get to learn Thai better than you did before (or for those that get the ED Visa and don't attend classes - no change there for you)... still not incredibly expensive in the big scheme of things - for 1 year of living in Thailand for those under 50 years old and who don't have enough income to qualify for a retirement Visa... 

so, based on what I saw and heard this afternoon (Monday, Jan 26, 2015) it appears that the Jomtien Immigration office is tightening up on their new set of ED Visa rules, which appear to have changed... whether they will really enforce the 4 day a week and 5,000 THB per 90 day extension rules - we will soon find out...  

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

Immigration stopped by my school during class yesterday and took pictures of those of us in class and did a little informal quizzing of our Thai knowledge. I feel like I did pretty well with the questions they asked me but some of the other students not so much, But I am the most senior student there currently and the others were pretty new.

They asked me where my books were, and I told them I had had to run to Chonburi town that day to get my friend who had an emergency so I was late and figured it was better to be in class with no books than than not make it to class. Immigration guy said "oh yeah I was just talking to your friend downstairs"

Lucky for me I did decide to make her come to school with me instead of blowing it off...

Also The TV forum finally seems to be picking up on the weird new ed visa extension fees. i mentioned it last week and was sort of scoffed at, but someone posted a pic of a notice outlining the current scheme.

- so you get to learn Thai better than you did before (or for those that get the ED Visa and don't attend classes - no change there for you)... still not incredibly expensive in the big scheme of things - for 1 year of living in Thailand for those under 50 years old and who don't have enough income to qualify for a retirement Visa... 

Most people don't understand that we come here to enjoy our life, relax or have fun.

Actually new ED VISA rules will probably not work. 8h a week is crazy (fool in bkk).

Im studying since 2 month and our teach was teaching us about 20  new words every lesson, so 60  words every week, 240 words in a month, 480 words in 2 months.

Now with the 8 hours requirement she will just increase it to 640 a month.

Yes probably the problem is PLC school here in pattaya and the teacher method but if you think I come in Pattaya to study 8 hours a week and then repeat all the day  new words until next lesson and pay 20.000 bath to school, 11000 bath for visa run, 1 extension for 3800-5000b for a gross total of 35.000 thai bath every 6 month (the new duration of thai visa) and then be compelled to make a new ED visa in Laos (2-3 day) always with the risk that missing one lesson could have my visa cancel, you wrong!

With Tourist visa you can stay in thailand 1 year and pay 8000 bath (for visa + extension + visa run) plus 20.000 air ticket back home, the total will be 56000 bath vs. the 70.000 bath of Ed visa with the big difference that you will have around 400 more free hours to live!

400!!!!!!!!

Man is the only animal that can establish a friendly relationship with his victims

What a mess this is...  First: I just want to live in peace and quiet in Thailand. I am retired. Can never work again because if illness. Last year Thailand clamped down on VISA runs, so that was no option. Since I live in Thailand, I want to learn Thai. Payed school for 180hours with 1 year EDU visa. (and still 11feb: they advertise 1year visa 180hours).

You can't apply for EDU visa in Thailand. Flew home to Sweden. Swedish embassy follow the Thai rules by the letter: Have to show you have money for 1 year (800K THB), insurance, contract apartment/housing, guarantee of a person in Thai + the 40 pages from Thai school and Thai government + 2000THB nonrefundable fee.  Declined. "By the law EDU visa is not possible for Language schools anymore".

Travel back to Thailand on tourist visa. Tried to extend in 30 days (by the law). Nope. Only 15 days unless I payed 1100 THB extra. I declined.

Laos still issues EDU visas on the same papers that have been declined in other countries. Had to pay 8900THB for a VISA run (that is hell for my health). Got my EDU visa. 1 year. Just extend each 90 days 1900 THB.

90 days later....

Nope. We only extend 15 days unless you pay VIP fee 3100 extra.   I payed.   Got 90 days + a stamp: Have to leave country after 90 days.

So my 1 year EDU visa suddenly is just 180 days without school/imigration or anyone telling me. Just last week immigration and the school was still in negotiation about the 4 day/double amount of school. Had anyone just asked me I could have payed for enough hours to meet the required hours. But no...

I am starting to get really tired of this. 5 break ins in different rooms I have stayed in last 9 months. At least 3 of them I have proof who did it and presented it to police. Police even wanted my AppleID so they could track my stuff. Guess what happens? 
Somehow the thief got my AppleID and logged into my account. Suddenly my address book and stuff had 200 different Thai addresses.  (and they can't change my password thanks to 2way password authentication) 

Changed rules. Tons of tea money all the time. No rights/protection as an evil falang.  I guess Thailand simply don't want us here anymore.

In my case: If I move home Thailand lose 1.8 million THB that I bring in each year.  Lets say 1000 expats are in the same situation. That is 180.000.000 million that Thailand looses. Why?

And that is the thing.

Why?

I understand a clampdown on illegal people who work or people who abuse the EDU visa. 
But people that behave and just try to live a normal life? Why do they hate us so much?  (because I sense this hate all the time. Its ok to charge 100% more for Farang (as you know: farang is a word describing a white man. Its 100% skin tone related/race related). Its ok to steal from farang since they have money/insurance. We Thai have to stick together always against farang. If there is any problem its always the farangs fault and we have to save face. Like when I was at immigration to get my passport. "Soul Finland". Somehow they heard is as Enland and could not find my passport. Of course this was my fault since I was a retard according to them that told them England. I didn't do/say anything since misstakes happens: but they had to make an issue of this to save face. I mean: How many England passports are there? Working full-time in immigration: how many England passports have there been there?)

So.. I am at a breaking point. I love Thailand. I am a guest here. I need to adapt. I understand it.

But they don't want us anymore. Time to go home.

And it will be fun later this year when Thailand starts to understand this.

Housing prices will fall and so on...  I guarantee it. And they will blame. "to many houses" or something like that...

EDU visa:

Many of us staying in Thailand wants to learn Thai. So the hours are not an issue. But forcing people going home each 180 days + pay 5K each 90 days in VISA fees is an issue. 

Its simply cheaper to go to school without EDU visa since most of the fee to the school is to pay for the visa. (fact).

Homecountry: Get dual entry thai tourist visa.  Aprox 3500 bath.

60 days Thailand. Get 30 days extensions for 1900bath (or 3000 like it is sometimes) 

Do a one day simple VISA run under 2K (since the second entry is already approved)

60 days. 30 days extension 1900(3000)

Than either go home and get a new dual entry VISA or do a visa run to Laos for 8900THB for a dual entry inkl visa fees.

60 days. 30 days extension 1900/3000) 

Visa run short 1500

60 days. 30 days extension 1900/3000)

The only problem is when they start to clamp down on multiple tourist visas. By the law: 180 days in Thailand. Be outside 180 days Thailand. This is not implemented today but the groundwork is done.

Cost tourist VISA with Laos runs: 33K/year inkl extensions stamps. 8 traveling days/year. (that is hard for people like me who are very ill)

For people who lives in countries with government healthcare: (for example nordic countries). Each time you set your foot in your home country, the home insurance cover 45days free abroad. Count that cost and you save by going home and get visa at home.

I think you might be misunderstanding the 90 day extension you just got. After that 90 days you can get another, and then another for a total of 360 days. Then you have to leave the country and get another new ED visa that will give you the ability to extend up to 360 days total.

They have already been clamping down on the tourist visas, I have heard multiple reports of them red flagging people with 3 or 4 tourist visas in a row, especially those who never go back to their home country, and those who never leave Thailand for any longer than it takes to get a new visa.

As far as not wanting us here, I think it is fair to say that there are certain types of people they do not want here, and I can't blame them too much for that, people who work here illegally, especially ones working in jobs Thai people could be doing, stupid hippy kids, certain ethnicities they feel bring an element with them they don't like, etc. But it's not an easy thing to do to make a policy that filters those out while allowing those they do like to stay. Plus, no one can deny that the ED visa was probably the most abused visa type, far too many people were on them illegitimately for the situation to be ignored.

From the FWIW department, those folks from my school who got the 15 day stamps at Jomtien when they refused to pay the VIP fee have all gotten 75 days stamps after the immigration cops came and checked on them at the school. No extra fees. Funny thing is, all those folks were being on their best behavior and coming to class, but some other unsuspecting folks who were not coming to class came to the attention of immigration and had their visas cancelled.

• 4 months later...

A FWIW update on the ED visa and language school situation.

It is rough right now for the language schools, I had not realized it before but maybe half of the business these schools were getting was from the Russians and Ukranians. With those currencies losing half their value vs the baht last year, a ton of those folks have disappeared, Last I heard, 6 schools in Pattaya have gone out of business, leaving what students they did still have hanging with no valid visa. Those folks have to sign up and start all over at a new school + new visa run etc.

Add to that the increased class time, now 4 days a week 2 hours a day required, having to leave the country for a new vsa each and every year, and the continuing increased scrutiny of school records from the Immigration cops, the ED situation is a little rough right now.

I'm honestly glad I am doing my last extension next month, then I'll be able to switch to retirement extensions.

I am not saying the ED visa is no longer a viable option, it's just not the easy option it used to be. Expect to jump through a few hoops, expect to actually have to go to class and learn something, and maybe most importantly right now, do everything you can to be sure your school is solvent and financially stable.

What a mess this is...  First: I just want to live in peace and quiet in Thailand. I am retired. Can never work again because if illness. Last year Thailand clamped down on VISA runs, so that was no option. Since I live in Thailand, I want to learn Thai. Payed school for 180hours with 1 year EDU visa. (and still 11feb: they advertise 1year visa 180hours).

You can't apply for EDU visa in Thailand. Flew home to Sweden. Swedish embassy follow the Thai rules by the letter: Have to show you have money for 1 year (800K THB), insurance, contract apartment/housing, guarantee of a person in Thai + the 40 pages from Thai school and Thai government + 2000THB nonrefundable fee.  Declined. "By the law EDU visa is not possible for Language schools anymore".

Travel back to Thailand on tourist visa. Tried to extend in 30 days (by the law). Nope. Only 15 days unless I payed 1100 THB extra. I declined.

Laos still issues EDU visas on the same papers that have been declined in other countries. Had to pay 8900THB for a VISA run (that is hell for my health). Got my EDU visa. 1 year. Just extend each 90 days 1900 THB.

90 days later....

Nope. We only extend 15 days unless you pay VIP fee 3100 extra.   I payed.   Got 90 days + a stamp: Have to leave country after 90 days.

So my 1 year EDU visa suddenly is just 180 days without school/imigration or anyone telling me. Just last week immigration and the school was still in negotiation about the 4 day/double amount of school. Had anyone just asked me I could have payed for enough hours to meet the required hours. But no...

I am starting to get really tired of this. 5 break ins in different rooms I have stayed in last 9 months. At least 3 of them I have proof who did it and presented it to police. Police even wanted my AppleID so they could track my stuff. Guess what happens? 

Somehow the thief got my AppleID and logged into my account. Suddenly my address book and stuff had 200 different Thai addresses.  (and they can't change my password thanks to 2way password authentication) 

Changed rules. Tons of tea money all the time. No rights/protection as an evil falang.  I guess Thailand simply don't want us here anymore.

In my case: If I move home Thailand lose 1.8 million THB that I bring in each year.  Lets say 1000 expats are in the same situation. That is 180.000.000 million that Thailand looses. Why?

And that is the thing.

Why?

I understand a clampdown on illegal people who work or people who abuse the EDU visa. 

But people that behave and just try to live a normal life? Why do they hate us so much?  (because I sense this hate all the time. Its ok to charge 100% more for Farang (as you know: farang is a word describing a white man. Its 100% skin tone related/race related). Its ok to steal from farang since they have money/insurance. We Thai have to stick together always against farang. If there is any problem its always the farangs fault and we have to save face. Like when I was at immigration to get my passport. "Soul Finland". Somehow they heard is as Enland and could not find my passport. Of course this was my fault since I was a retard according to them that told them England. I didn't do/say anything since misstakes happens: but they had to make an issue of this to save face. I mean: How many England passports are there? Working full-time in immigration: how many England passports have there been there?)

So.. I am at a breaking point. I love Thailand. I am a guest here. I need to adapt. I understand it.

But they don't want us anymore. Time to go home.

And it will be fun later this year when Thailand starts to understand this.

Housing prices will fall and so on...  I guarantee it. And they will blame. "to many houses" or something like that...

Mate you have had really bad luck with break ins.Really bad. Sorry the boys in brown let you down. Why on earth haven,t you applied for a retirement visa ?

@Shawn80: why bother mate?

I like living in LOS too, I am retirement age and satisfy the financial requirements, so getting my annual visa to live here is fairly straight forward and easy and affordable. But if they were making my life a living hell trying to remain here then I'd tell them to shove it and leave. Cambodia & PIs are 2 alternatives, living on an island somewhere in PIs or near the beach at Snooky would be OK. 

Why don't you have a look at Cambo?

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• 3 weeks later...

A FWIW update, Went to Jomtien Immigration this morning and turned in my papers for my final extension. I always have good luck when I go in on a Wednesday, it seems to be the quietest day of the week. I walked in the door at 8:15 and got queue number 1 for my line. Number called about 8:35 and out the door less than 10 minutes later. The part that took the longest was waiting for the girl who takes your picture with the webcam to get her computer booted up. I got a chit with a number and was told to come back to the same counter to pick up my passport tomorrow after 10.

They are still giving out 14 day stamps at first, then you go back and get a stamp for the balance of your 90 days at the end of the 14 days. School says they are not digging in hard on checking up during that 2 weeks like they had been doing for a while, especially if the student as like me and has been given the close check at least once before.

Another shot to the usefulness of an ED visa. I learned today that currently conversions of Non-Imm ED visas to other visa types are not happening, immigration is refusing to do them.

It seems they are serious about the 1 year extension cap on the ED visa. Once your year of ED time is up you have to leave and get a new visa no matter what.

So I won't be changing my ED visa into a 'retirement' visa in October, I get to go to Vientiane once more and apply for a Non-Imm O visa, AKA retirement visa. Yay?

So I won't be changing my ED visa into a 'retirement' visa in October, I get to go to Vientiane once more and apply for a Non-Imm O visa, AKA retirement visa. Yay?

Nay - a Non-Imm O Visa which you can then apply to extend at Jomtien  i.e. the One Year Extension of Stay (Retirement) I think?

Nay - a Non-Imm O Visa which you can then apply to extend at Jomtien  i.e. the One Year Extension of Stay (Retirement) I think?

Sorry, the 'Yay?' was a sort of an ironic 'Hooray!' 

It seems the key is that I need to leave the country to cancel the ED visa and make the PTB happy that The Student has left the country after 1 year. Then from there I suppose I can apply for whatever sort of visa I want. 

What I am wondering right now is if I can just do a border run to Cambo, 'cross' over, thus ending the ED visa, then re-enter on an 'On Arrival Exemption', and later go to Bangkok and change the On Arrival Exemption into an O visa. As I currently understand things, that conversion is still happening, but it has to be done in BKK. In some ways it would be more hassle than just going to Vientiane, but in total travel required it might be a not terrible option.

Sorry, the 'Yay?' was a sort of an ironic 'Hooray!' 

It seems the key is that I need to leave the country to cancel the ED visa and make the PTB happy that The Student has left the country after 1 year. Then from there I suppose I can apply for whatever sort of visa I want. 

What I am wondering right now is if I can just do a border run to Cambo, 'cross' over, thus ending the ED visa, then re-enter on an 'On Arrival Exemption', and later go to Bangkok and change the OA Exemption into an O visa. As I currently understand things, that conversion is still happening, but it has to be done in BKK. In some ways it would be more hassle than just going to Vientiane, but in total travel required it might be a not terrible option.

I had a ED Visa last year, attended classes dutifully, etc... In April, the ED Visa was expiring... I CANX'd the ED Visa in Jomtien Immigration, got a 7 day extension (1,900 THB) in Jomtien Immigration, took a nice trip to Vientiane, got a tourist Visa in Vientiane... Converted the tourist Visa into a NON-O visa with Retirement stamp/extension at Immigration in Jomtien... However, that said, it wasn't exactly straight forward - due to my "special case" I ended up paying an extra fee for the 2For1 (Non-O and retirement extension) dealio... If interested in the details PM me...  

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

What I am wondering right now is if I can just do a border run to Cambo, 'cross' over, thus ending the ED visa, then re-enter on an 'On Arrival Exemption', and later go to Bangkok and change the On Arrival Exemption into an O visa. As I currently understand things, that conversion is still happening, but it has to be done in BKK. In some ways it would be more hassle than just going to Vientiane, but in total travel required it might be a not terrible option.

I believe that is still happening (not sure if a land visa waiver is as good as by air?) but then what you have to do is apply to convert from VW to O visa (as you say) which is for 90 days and apply for the Extension from that.

Personally, if I thought I could get the O Visa in Vientiane I would feel much more comfortable (what if you were refused?) and no trip to Bangkok is required.

I believe that is still happening (not sure if a land visa waiver is as good as by air?) but then what you have to do is apply to convert from VW to O visa (as you say) which is for 90 days and apply for the Extension from that.

Personally, if I thought I could get the O Visa in Vientiane I would feel much more comfortable (what if you were refused?) and no trip to Bangkok is required.

From what I am seeing, getting an O visa at Vientiane is pretty simple, all they care about is the proof of income. Not any more expensive than a tourist visa application but a little more to assemble in the way of supporting documents, but those supporting documents are needed no matter where one gets the O Visa. The big difference in my mind right now is the traveling required. 2 long ass bus rides and a night in Vientiane, VS a morning cambo run, and a couple trips to BKK, Possibly even just trips to Jomtien where they forward the papers to BKK.

I'm actually thinking about getting an agent for this whole thing this time around.

From what I am seeing, getting an O visa at Vientiane is pretty simple, all they care about is the proof of income. Not any more expensive than a tourist visa application but a little more to assemble in the way of supporting documents, but those supporting documents are needed no matter where one gets the O Visa. The big difference in my mind right now is the traveling required. 2 long ass bus rides and a night in Vientiane, VS a morning cambo run, and a couple trips to BKK, Possibly even just trips to Jomtien where they forward the papers to BKK.

I'm actually thinking about getting an agent for this whole thing this time around.

Sorry, I wrote that badly, what I meant was, what if they found some reason not to convert your land border run Visa Waiver to an O Visa.

I take your point about the travel to Vientiane, but I just meant that if I was coming back in with a 90 day O Visa I would feel much more comfortable.

Anyway, I see you got some good news on TV.

Sorry, I wrote that badly, what I meant was, what if they found some reason not to convert your land border run Visa Waiver to an O Visa.

I take your point about the travel to Vientiane, but I just meant that if I was coming back in with a 90 day O Visa I would feel much more comfortable.

Anyway, I see you got some good news on TV.

I am taking all that into consideration.  I do like the idea of coming across the border with an actual Visa and essentially having the whole thing settled Vs. hanging fire for a few weeks while my papers wander to BKK and back and my 30 day entry ticks away.

Really, my main objection to Vientiane is the bus ride, even in the VIP section its a terrible ordeal, especially for a big dude like me. SO the mini bus is a good option. I have never tried Vientiane on the mini bus, but those I have talked to who have done it that way say it is not so horrible. Usually. Have heard some horror stories of sick/hungover passengers on mini busses too.

Or I could do another bike trip :)

Come on make it more and more difficult for the under 50 guys to stay in Thailand for a longer period . 

Thailand if you don't want my money ... easy solution ... one month Thailand , one month Cambodia . 

- No more visas to pay for (in Thailand) . 

- No more visa runs . 

- Not spending money in Thailand for 6 months a year .  

- Fly with Air Asia (Malaysian company) . 

Yep that's gonna bring in a lot of money ... for Cambodia that is . 

'Rant over' ... Edge thanks for the info . 

thats a very good idea,  though tell me how it would work,          surely you would need a combo business visa for 1 year ( 230 dollar )  .   i was actually thinking the same last year  , get a combo business visa for a year then enter the kingdom every month to see friends etc.  make sihanoukville my base.   i think its a very good option .

2 fingers up to them idiots in office who are making life increasingly difficult for us. 

I am taking all that into consideration.  I do like the idea of coming across the border with an actual Visa and essentially having the whole thing settled Vs. hanging fire for a few weeks while my papers wander to BKK and back and my 30 day entry ticks away.

Really, my main objection to Vientiane is the bus ride, even in the VIP section its a terrible ordeal, especially for a big dude like me. SO the mini bus is a good option. I have never tried Vientiane on the mini bus, but those I have talked to who have done it that way say it is not so horrible. Usually. Have heard some horror stories of sick/hungover passengers on mini busses too.

Or I could do another bike trip :)

30 days, but must be 15 left on it they said.

Bike (why not? 55) or bus trip, you could also get a proper Visa from Phnom Penh, albeit only a 60 day Tourist rather than 90 day O, so you'd still have to convert.

Not sure what I'd do TBH, but not having done Vientiane before I might do that....the Visa Waiver route sounds a bit stressy to me but maybe not if you got straight on it when you got back..

I am not saying that the ED visa is not still a viable option, but it is more of a pain in the ass than it was, and if you are dodgy about going to school you will be more likely to have a problem, or kick in that extra few thousand baht for VIP treatment.

I have said and I will say again that I don't think I have much room to complain about jumping through some visa hoops, considering how hard my home country makes it for Thai people to get a visa into the US for any reason.

30 days, but must be 15 left on it they said.

Bike (why not? 55) or bus trip, you could also get a proper Visa from Phnom Penh, albeit only a 60 day Tourist rather than 90 day O, so you'd still have to convert.

Not sure what I'd do TBH, but not having done Vientiane before I might do that....the Visa Waiver route sounds a bit stressy to me but maybe not if you got straight on it when you got back..

I have been to Vientiane several times now, so I know how that process goes pretty well. With a minibus to take away all the dealings with tuk tuks and no need to hunt up a room it would probably be a piece of cake, especially compared to the time I bussed it to Vientiane from Kamphaeng Phet, No express buses on that route.

Archived