Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Ed' Visa the Easy Option........or not?

Edge

I can also confirm this information. I had been given a heads up from my school last week that this might be happening, but I did not want to spread any rumors before she went to the meeting and got the real scoop. I talked to the 2 reps from my school that went to this meeting and the info above fits with everything they tell me.

I'm thanking Buddha right now as I did my final, up to the 15 month total, extension just 2 weeks ago, so I have until the end of October to work out the new paperwork and organize a trip to Vientiane to apply for a new visa. Sort of scary as this seems a pretty obvious way to dump the people here on ED visas that they want to get rid of on their neighbors. Just red flag someone in the computer and deny them a visa, or entry after they get the visa, and then they are Laos, Cambodia or whoever's problem.

I'm not too worried for myself, but I will certainly be taking some precautions to make sure that I have someone here who has keys to my place and can help me deal with stuff if I get stuck in Lao. 

Sure hope it turns out well for you furryman.

But I don't think I would bother remaining in LOS if my future was that insecure. Reckon I'd tell them to stick it and relocate to Cambo or PIs.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure hope it turns out well for you furryman.

But I don't think I would bother remaining in LOS if my future was that insecure. Reckon I'd tell them to stick it and relocate to Cambo or PIs.

Cambo is my backup plan if I somehow cannot stay here, in fact I'm gonna research doing the visa run to Cambo instead of Laos, because if I did get stuck outside of Thailand I think I'd rather be in Cambo. But really I'm not too worried, I don't think I'm one of the people they are targeting. Just trying to cover my bases.

Honestly I don't think I'd want to go to PI. Outside of the girls, there is not a single thing that attracts me, and several factors which repel me. Shitty food and Catholics being at the top of that list. 

Cambo is my backup plan if I somehow cannot stay here, in fact I'm gonna research doing the visa run to Cambo instead of Laos, because if I did get stuck outside of Thailand I think I'd rather be in Cambo. But really I'm not too worried, I don't think I'm one of the people they are targeting. Just trying to cover my bases.

Honestly I don't think I'd want to go to PI. Outside of the girls, there is not a single thing that attracts me, and several factors which repel me. Shitty food and Catholics being at the top of that list. 

Yeah PIs, haven't been there for ages. Know what you mean about food, crappy local food but I do remember there was loads of good international food, especially American style. Great beer, gals are good of course but I do find that Flip accent a bit grating. I remember I loved all the islands and beaches. I think it'd easy to find a little paradise somewhere and set up with a gal near the beach. Live out a life on seafood, San Miguel & pussy...lol...But I also reckon I'd try living in Cambo first.

Women are made to be loved, not understood.

As far as ED visas, it's the same news as previously reported. No more extensions ad infinitum. Students have to leave Thailand and get a new ED visa every 12 months.

• 4 months later...

As far as ED visas, it's the same news as previously reported. No more extensions ad infinitum. Students have to leave Thailand and get a new ED visa every 12 months.

Seen this on Thaivisa?

Just got back from Chaengwattana immigration for my first ED visa extension.

I've been living in Thailand for 15 years, so I speak ok, but cannot read or write. Out of the 3 months I've had my ED visa, I've been to school for around 1 month. It's pretty much a waste of time; I can learn far more by self-study at home, or with help from the missus.

Took me less than a week to recite the Thai alphabet. Remembering the actual characters is much harder. So, while I could read to you the 44 consonants and 32 vowels in order, if you pointed a random one out I'd struggle.

Don't forget, I'm use to Thai pronunciation, so if you're starting from scratch it would take you a lot longer than a week. In fact, there's students in my alphabet class who have been there 2 years. They know it all, but can't pass the test to go to the next level because they have trouble with pronunciation. When they speak Thai, which some can, it's very difficult for me to understand them.

I was not expecting many people on Christmas day. I was wrong. Arrived around 8:15 to join a queue of around 200 people. Doors open at 8:30. My queue number was 19, so around 10% of those people were there for an ED extension.

There's 3 stages: 1, check documents and administer Thai "test". 2, have your photo taken and pay the 1,900baht fee. 3, collect passport.

I was out of there by 10:15, so 2 hours in total.

The first stage has 4 desks, so there's other people in there trying to "prove" they are actually studying. It's funny listening to the excuses.

The immigration staff for the most part were speaking English, but when it was my time I spoke in Thai right off the bat, so the obvious first question of "can you speak Thai" was not asked. I was asked if I could read Thai, I said, "not yet, I've only been studying for 3 months". The stern looking women then handed me a Thai form and asked if I could read it. I couldn't, but did my best to spell out the characters.

She then asked me to write my name in Thai. I did so, spelling out each character as I wrote it. She asked if I had a short version of my name, or a "nick name" if you like. I wrote that down without spelling it out, then showed her it to read, she pronounced it correctly. I was on a roll!

She wrote 4 short lines of Thai on my application form. She then told me she will give me the maximum of 60 days. I asked why not 90, and she said "everyone who passes the test today will get 60 days". Apparently this was due to a crackdown by the bosses. This led to many questions from me. She said people who have been studying a long time, if it's obvious they are not going to school, they will get 7 days. Their visa will be cancelled, effectively. Those that fail the test will get 30 days, and on the next visit have to show some improvement.

Now, I was a little paranoid at this point. I thought I'd aced the test, and wanted to know what had made her give me 60 instead of 90 days. So I asked around...

1) Some guy on his 2nd extension, never attended school. Was asked if he could speak or read Thai, he replied, "no". Was asked to write his name, he did it to the best of his ability. Result: 60 days.

2) Some lady on her 3rd extension, never attended school. Was asked to introduce herself in Thai. She did so. Result: 60 days.

3) Some guy on his 2nd extension, never attended school. Was asked *nothing*. Result: 60 days.

All those people believed they had been given 90 days. It was only when I asked to check their stamp did it reveal 60 days. They were not happy.

During stage 2, I asked the officer to explain the 4 lines of Thai writing the stage 1 officer had written. It roughly translated to:

"Can speak Thai ok"

"Cannot read much Thai"

"Can write some Thai"

"Review after 2 months"

I know a lot of you are worried about the Thai test. It seems it's down to the individual officer what, if anything, you will be asked. My advice to you is to learn at least to introduce yourself in Thai, and learn to spell your name, reading the characters out loud as you write them.

I have no idea why I got a more thorough test than the others. Maybe it was just the officer, or maybe it was because I spoke Thai and was quite talkative. I actually wanted to be tested, as I had prepared well for it.

I was never asked how many days a week I studied. My attendance report and weekly hours was a pure fabrication supplied to me by my school. I don't even think the officer looked at it.

My passport full of 60 days tourist visas and their respective extensions was never brought up. I was never asked how long I had lived in Thailand.

A multiple entry ED visa could solve that problem (maybe ) it helped me as I did my visa runs in place immigration visit ......, 2 years past , don't know could still work out. Never any exam at the Ban laem border by Thai immigration

Non native English writing poster, not using a spell checker !! 

Never heard a story about an exam of any kind at Jomtien Immigration, even on Thaivisa. Too busy raking in renewal fees would be my guess. I do always make sure to brush up right before I go in and always bring my schoolbooks to show off though. I have a renewal coming up in the middle of next month so I will give another report at that time. This will be my first renewal since I got my new visa under the new rules requiring that one leave the country for a new visa every year.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, latest update on my experience, more to come on Monday. (reposted from my thread)

Things are tightening up down at Jomtien immigration with regards to the ED visa and the schools providing them. This seems to fit with a pattern I have heard about nationwide, but I did not want to pass on anything much outside my own experience. I know that my school has had inspectors from Immigration around checking out he records, and I have heard that other schools are experiencing the same increased scrutiny. I also know that my school has informed their students with less than stellar attendance records that they need to start turning up for class on a more regular basis.

As far as my own paperwork, there are a few changes as well. It used to be that one could go in to do one's extension anytime within about 1 week of the current extension expiring. Now the new rule is that one cannot go in to get  an extension until the very day the current one will expire, or the last day that the office is open before that day.

Passports are no longer returned on the same day, they will be held now for up to 3 days for, uh, reasons.

There are some changes with the required photo documentation as well. Previously you needed pretty much one photo of you in class and that photo was good until whenever. Now you need a time and date stamped photo of you in class sometime within about 5 days of your extension expiring. They also wanted new photos of me in my room and outside my building, standing by the address sign. These photos now need to actual color prints as well, no more photocopies of prints.

Finally, I have heard that the verbal testing so many have fearfully anticipated has finally come to Jomtien immigration. It is not much of a test by reports I have heard so far, mostly questions like "Can you speak Thai?" "What days do you go to class?" "What is your teacher's name?". I have also heard that those who cannot pass this test are, for now, getting a warning that if they cannot show some level of learning by the next time they come in for an extension, their visa will be cancelled and they will be deported. Supposedly a note to this effect will be added to their immigration file as well.

Needless to say, I am going to spend a lot of time over the weekend brushing up and practicing some responses to anticipated questions. I'll give a full report Monday after the fact. Wish me luck.

Needless to say, I am going to spend a lot of time over the weekend brushing up and practicing some responses to anticipated questions. I'll give a full report Monday after the fact. Wish me luck.

ความโชคดี

I recently went in for my 3rd extension of my ED Visa... was there on the 13th and my Visa extension expires on the 20th... sure enough, when I got to the ED Visa desk, the lady turned me away and said return on the 19th or 20th... so I am going again on the 19th and I had to get a new photo of me in the class with the date stamp from the camera on the photo... a bud of mine told me that he thought it was always the case that you couldn't go more than 7 days ahead of the expiration date, but it appears that they have tightened up on that as furryMahn sez in his post... I hope that my extension goes smoothly next week... for now, after this ED Visa expires, I plan to try to convert to Retirement Visa (I am old enough and have enough retirement income)... The ED Visa is too much subject to change => if they change it to the students having to go 4 or 5 days a week, versus the current 2 days, and make it a 90 day Visa instead of 1 year (as some say/rumored will happen) - probably for the same price at the schools, etc... And I agree with the Thai gov't clamping down on people getting the ED Visa as a scam just to stay in Thailand - never trying to learn the language, never going to class, and working in Thailand... But for me, the ED Visa rules are too much a moving target... hopefully the retirement Visa will not undergo changes in the future as the ED Visa appears to be doing... but I totally agree with the Thai gov't - for Visas that preclude the person from working, if they are working in Thailand, then it is their own damn fault if they get busted and rolled up/thrown out...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

:GrinNod1:  :GoldenSmile1:  :24:

ความโชคดี

ขอบคุณครับ

I recently went in for my 3rd extension of my ED Visa... was there on the 13th and my Visa extension expires on the 20th... sure enough, when I got to the ED Visa desk, the lady turned me away and said return on the 19th or 20th... so I am going again on the 19th and I had to get a new photo of me in the class with the date stamp from the camera on the photo... a bud of mine told me that he thought it was always the case that you couldn't go more than 7 days ahead of the expiration date, but it appears that they have tightened up on that as furryMahn sez in his post... I hope that my extension goes smoothly next week... for now, after this ED Visa expires, I plan to try to convert to Retirement Visa (I am old enough and have enough retirement income)... The ED Visa is too much subject to change => if they change it to the students having to go 4 or 5 days a week, versus the current 2 days, and make it a 90 day Visa instead of 1 year (as some say/rumored will happen) - probably for the same price at the schools, etc... And I agree with the Thai gov't clamping down on people getting the ED Visa as a scam just to stay in Thailand - never trying to learn the language, never going to class, and working in Thailand... But for me, the ED Visa rules are too much a moving target... hopefully the retirement Visa will not undergo changes in the future as the ED Visa appears to be doing... but I totally agree with the Thai gov't - for Visas that preclude the person from working, if they are working in Thailand, then it is their own damn fault if they get busted and rolled up/thrown out...

Maybe I will see you there. I am planning on getting in as early as possible.

I never thought i would be looking forward to turning 50 as much as I am. Roll on October 3, Hopefully I'll be able to stick it our until then.

I'm just back from immigration and it turns out a lot of the stuff I got told last week was BS. It came to my school from someone who seemed a legit source to them, so I went with it. Sorry folks for any unintentional scare mongering.

There was no testing going on that I could see, none at all. Considering that, I'd discount the reports of deportation threats as well.

There is no keeping passports for up to 3 days. They are keeping passports until after 3pm the next day.

Restricting the days you can come in was happening. One guy got told to come back because he had 4 days left on his stamp, he was not on his last day.

They were looking at the paperwork very carefully, and the second lady who does the second lookover had some guy who seemed to be a bossman in her chair and she was playing assistant to him. He almost rejected the lady in front of me because her man's name was the name on the rental agreement, Luckily she was listed on the second page as also living in the condo.

So while I do not have my passport in hand yet, it does seem things are not much different than normal as far as ED extensions at Jomtien Immigration office.

I'm just back from immigration and it turns out a lot of the stuff I got told last week was BS. It came to my school from someone who seemed a legit source to them, so I went with it. Sorry folks for any unintentional scare mongering.

There was no testing going on that I could see, none at all. Considering that, I'd discount the reports of deportation threats as well.

There is no keeping passports for up to 3 days. They are keeping passports until after 3pm the next day.

Restricting the days you can come in was happening. One guy got told to come back because he had 4 days left on his stamp, he was not on his last day.

They were looking at the paperwork very carefully, and the second lady who does the second lookover had some guy who seemed to be a bossman in her chair and she was playing assistant to him. He almost rejected the lady in front of me because her man's name was the name on the rental agreement, Luckily she was listed on the second page as also living in the condo.

So while I do not have my passport in hand yet, it does seem things are not much different than normal as far as ED extensions at Jomtien Immigration office.

went in this morning (2nd time - last week they told me to come back as I was too early), and although the ED Visa desk was all jackedUP - their number system wasn't working - so folks had tickets telling them what number in the queue they were, but it seemed to be a free forALL (the other desks, for other Visas, etc - seemed to be working out OK - their numbers were presented on an electric chart and numbers were announced on a PA system.. I was sitting in a chair (got there early - was in line of about 20 people standing in front of the office before they opened their doors) in the back of the room, but it got so noisy in there (it was VERY VERY crowded) that I finally got up and stood nearer to the ED Visa desk... the folks in line - mostly Russian - and me worked out the order, kinda/sorta - and I got to the desk just about when I was supposed to... all went OK with the lady reviewing my stack of paperwork from the school and I paid my 1,900 THB... but this time instead of getting my passport right away (like the other 2 times), I was given a number and told to return at 3:00PM (same day)... so, unfortunately I had to ditch class today as my class is 2:00-4:00PM, and I didn't want to take any chances - wanted to get my passport back, etc... went back a few minutes before 3:00PM - inside was still a zoo and there were quite a few people out front as well... I walked to the office where the immigration officer hangs out who reviews the paperwork, etc (I guess) and a middle aged immigration officer was inside sitting in his chair... but I didn't speak with him... a young lady took my number, pulled out my passport from a pile of them, looked at the stamp, and handed it to me... I am good2go for my last 3 month ED Visa extension... no language test, no physical fitness test, no length/girth measurements of my JoHanSSon... aside from the inconvenience of having to come back a few hours later (not all that far from where I live/Pratunmak), and the ED Visa desk queue numbering system all jackedUP - it was relatively painless...

Retired in Pattaya, Thailand - arrived April 1, 2014... Ohhhhh yeahhhhhh... LiveN my dream!

Yeah it was a pain that the ED desk was the only one with no auto queue system. but we got it all worked out and made an old fashioned human queue.

Back home with passport in hand. Yay!  Stopped in at my school to  make a copy of the new stamp and it turns out the boss lady was at immigration for a meeting about the same time I was yesterday.

According to her, the extreme limit on when you can go in to do the extension (only on the day it expires) was an experiment and they were not happy with how it worked out, Now, they have completely reversed policy and supposedly you can come in anytime up to 3 weeks ahead of time. Who knows what the policy will be in April when I have to go in next time.

Immigration officers came to my school today and informed the school they need to adhere to the 4 days per week 2 hours per day rule (been that way in bangkok for awhile)... Chonburi was still on 2days/2hours schedule, but apparently no more.

I asked if we could do 2 days for 4 hours per day, as it results in the same amount of class hours, and all the guys in my class would also prefer that schedule.... But the school said no, we have to follow exactly what immigration writes to us, 4 days.

I don't mind doing 8 hours....but coming in 4 separate days really blows.

Oh well...

Immigration officers came to my school today and informed the school they need to adhere to the 4 days per week 2 hours per day rule (been that way in bangkok for awhile)... Chonburi was still on 2days/2hours schedule, but apparently no more.

I asked if we could do 2 days for 4 hours per day, as it results in the same amount of class hours, and all the guys in my class would also prefer that schedule.... But the school said no, we have to follow exactly what immigration writes to us, 4 days.

Oh well...

Interesting. Do you mind saying what school?

I was at my school, Pro Language, yesterday and the only change that they mentioned was that Immigration wants the schools to handle the Visa extensions now, rather than have the students go down and do their thing in the ED Desk non-queues... the teacher also said that the price was going to go up to 3,000 THB from 1,900 THB for each extension - but that might have been a misunderstanding... the teacher told us for more on the changes to check with the Pro Language ladies who handle the Visas... also, although you won't have to go down to submit the Visa for processing, apparently per the teacher (and again, might have been a misunderstanding) the student would have to go down to pick up the Visa at Immigration... but no mention of changing to 4 days a week from 2... but we have all been waiting on that change to 4 days (or 5) to happen since it apparently has happened in Phuket and Bangkok... makes no sense that it was done one region at a time - or maybe they did it as a trial/test case in those two relatively heavy-farang populated areas... if it is changed to 4 days a week, it will be interesting to see how the schools deal with the changeUP... will they hire more teachers?  will there be less students?  will they raise the price for a one year ED Visa set of classes (and associated paperwork that they put together for you)?  for me, the answer is to change to a retirement Visa when my ED Visa expires... this ED Visa moving target ruleset is getting overly complicated... and I didn't come here to live/retire and to be faced with complications like that... hopefully, the retirement Visa set of rules will not undergo similar changes...

That's for someone who actually wants to attend and can...............

..........imagine how much it sucks for someone who's working full time.    LMAO.gif

The statement that the fee is going up sounds a lot like  "we are gonna charge you 1100 baht to take your papers to the office for you." 

Class again tomorrow, will ask what the latest info is then.

Roll on October! As I have said before, never would I have thought in decades past that I would be looking forward to turning 50 with so much excitement.

That's for someone who actually wants to attend and can...............

..........imagine how much it sucks for someone who's working full time.    attachicon.gifLMAO.gif

HAHAHA! Yeah I know at least one guy who is going to be in a tough spot if he has to come in 4 days a week. His bosses, (who BTW have assured him he does not need a work permit as he is 'only' teaching English) are already in his face about actually going to class for the 2 days a week we are required now.

OK folks, I am fresh back from class and I have some new info. Of course, take it as you will, no one right now seems to actually know what is going on in the future regarding the ED visa here with Jomtien immigration, even the folks at the Immigration office its self, and all the info I have is 'according to my school'.

The main thing is that there is a new boss at the Jomtien office and he has decided he needs to flex his administrative muscles. All this uncertainty can be attributed to his actions.

There was testing of everyone happening last week for a couple of days. I guess it slowed things down way too much so they are not doing that all the time. They are threatening to pick random days to test every one or to choose random applicants to test.

The fees for ED extensions have gone up twice this week, sort of. First to the 3000 baht level earlier reported and just today my school got a call to tell them that starting today the fee is 5000 baht. These fees are for the 90 day extension. You can still pay 1900 baht, but that will only give you a 15 day extension, and closer scrutiny than those who pay the full requested amount.

I was given 2 reasons for this change. First, the local administration is in need of an influx of cash. Second, this is targeted at thinning out the number of Russians here on ED visas ostensibly studying English language. The Russians are already in a tough cash flow position with their currency taking a 50% crap vs. the Baht, and the office is not really in a position to test for English language learning very well. My school is pretty bummed by this as more than half of their business is actually teaching selling English lessons, and not teaching Thai. They have already lost some students and expect to lose more.

On the bright side, I was told that the bumped up fees cannot last too long. As the old saying goes, the nail that sticks up is the first to get hammered back down. Eventually enough complaints from various sources will filter to the new local bosses superiors and fees will be brought back in line. By then, whatever need for short term cash will probably be filled anyway.

Looks like I need to go thank Buddha again as my timing squeezed me through on the couple days between them giving up on the testing and the fees going up. Yay! Hopefully by April things will have calmed down again.

Edit: Two more things:First, my school had no idea why another school would want to take the applications in themselves, it can be done that way but to them seemed like a waste of paid staff time.

The 4 day a week requirement is not officially announced yet, it seems to be hanging over the schools heads now as something that might happen if it is deemed necessary. That could change any day. like everything else, it seems.

HAHAHA! Yeah I know at least one guy who is going to be in a tough spot if he has to come in 4 days a week. His bosses, (who BTW have assured him he does not need a work permit as he is 'only' teaching English) are already in his face about actually going to class for the 2 days a week we are required now.

CHIANG MAI:-- Seventeen foreigners have been arrested for working illegally following a raid on a condominium in Chiang Mai.

The raid, which took place at 12.30am on Friday found 17 Westerners of various nationalities providing online English classes to people in China from a room in the ground floor of the Riverside Condo.

Upon being apprehended by police, the foreigners were asked to produce their passports and work permits.

However, whilst twelve of the individuals could produce their passports, they were unable to produce work permits.

Among those who could not produce work permits were three Americans, a Canadian, a German, a Dutch national, two Irish nationals, two Britons and two Australians.

As well as not having a work permit, it was also revealed that a fourth American was on overstay.

The remaining foreigners had passports and valid work permits but were in breach of work conditions.

According to the Bangkok Post, the foreigners had been hired by BOI 360 Max Co, however the online language school was found to be operating without permission.

10 notebook computers were also seized.

The foreigners now have of face charges of working illegally in Thailand and are currently being held at Mai Ping police station.

In order to work legally in Thailand foreigners are required to have a valid work permit and the appropriate Non-Immigrant visa/extension.

OK folks, I am fresh back from class and I have some new info. Of course, take it as you will, no one right now seems to actually know what is going on in the future regarding the ED visa here with Jomtien immigration, even the folks at the Immigration office its self, and all the info I have is 'according to my school'.

The main thing is that there is a new boss at the Jomtien office and he has decided he needs to flex his administrative muscles. All this uncertainty can be attributed to his actions.

There was testing of everyone happening last week for a couple of days. I guess it slowed things down way too much so they are not doing that all the time. They are threatening to pick random days to test every one or to choose random applicants to test.

The fees for ED extensions have gone up twice this week, sort of. First to the 3000 baht level earlier reported and just today my school got a call to tell them that starting today the fee is 5000 baht. These fees are for the 90 day extension. You can still pay 1900 baht, but that will only give you a 15 day extension, and closer scrutiny than those who pay the full requested amount.

I was given 2 reasons for this change. First, the local administration is in need of an influx of cash. Second, this is targeted at thinning out the number of Russians here on ED visas ostensibly studying English language. The Russians are already in a tough cash flow position with their currency taking a 50% crap vs. the Baht, and the office is not really in a position to test for English language learning very well. My school is pretty bummed by this as more than half of their business is actually teaching selling English lessons, and not teaching Thai. They have already lost some students and expect to lose more.

On the bright side, I was told that the bumped up fees cannot last too long. As the old saying goes, the nail that sticks up is the first to get hammered back down. Eventually enough complaints from various sources will filter to the new local bosses superiors and fees will be brought back in line. By then, whatever need for short term cash will probably be filled anyway.

Looks like I need to go thank Buddha again as my timing squeezed me through on the couple days between them giving up on the testing and the fees going up. Yay! Hopefully by April things will have calmed down again.

Edit: Two more things:First, my school had no idea why another school would want to take the applications in themselves, it can be done that way but to them seemed like a waste of paid staff time.

The 4 day a week requirement is not officially announced yet, it seems to be hanging over the schools heads now as something that might happen if it is deemed necessary. That could change any day. like everything else, it seems.

holy BatShit furryMahn - that truly is disturbing news about the 5,000 THB new ED Visa 90 day extension fee... I am OH SO VERY happy that I will hopefully have a retirement Visa when my ED Visa expires (that or planB - head to Phnom Phen and try to live there for awhile to see if I like it there - have been there on a short Visa run vacation, and not sure I would like it, but probably better than returning back to the States to live)... 

and the other news that Jomtien was doing the Thai language tests as well... I guess you and I hit it on a very fortunate day - still had the 1,900 THB 90 day extension fee and no language testing... 

and the other news about the farangs getting busted in Chiang Mai... I guess they will try to claim that they aren't taking jobs that Thais would normally have, but still - what were they thinkN working without work permits... I guess as long as you can do it and not get busted, folks will continue to try go that route... that and the random shakedowns and pee tests in BKK on Sukhumvit... the authorities are really changing their mode from laidBack to anythingButLaidBack lately... glad the random shakedowns like we see in BKK aren't happenN (or are, but not as much) here in Pattaya... 

Archived