IGNORED

Some big accident happened...

coolsmoe

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's awful. As with most things Thai health and safety is non-existent. Over loaded boat and not enough life jackets. Of course the captain will be blamed and do time, but I bet his bosses are the real culprits.

IF ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL WHERE IS THE REST OF MY PENIS?

R I P

Im sure most of us have been on these ferries at some time or another wrong place at the wrong time

Always saddening to see any accident in Pattaya, no point in pointing fingers.

I hope it causes the maritime authorities to re-look at safety and we are all used to getting safety briefs prior to departure in other countries and we are all told where to locate our life jacket (if there are in fact enough)

Pattaya can't seem to catch a break, started with the floods then the fire and now this.

R I P

Im sure most of us have been on these ferries at some time or another wrong place at the wrong time

if it was one of those white ones similar to my pics they are not the 30 bht each way type.

this service is heavily touted in the pier area and the touts will stick you on the backs of their motorcy and run you past the 30 bht dep point.

they are quite a bit more expensive the usp being they will drop and pick you up direct to the beach rather than the port.

and they do pack them in

update........... just been for a walk down to the pier there are a lot of police and ambulance assets down there waiting plus some satelite news crews, i'm guessing they are awaiting results of a hull search by navy divers.

and after the horse has bolted every ferry leaving this morning made all the passengers wear life jackets a great many of which were brand new coming out of the plastic wrapper for the first time

and 5 sister ships of the one that went down were tied up in the port and going nowhere at least today

some pics from a morning walk to the pier area

sept oct 29 257_800x540.jpg

many cops about and the ambulance mob even had their own tent HQ set up

sept oct 29 316_800x600.jpg

TV crews on standby for news on the underwater search of the hull

sept oct 29 317_800x600.jpg

meanwhile 5 sister ships going nowhere today

sept oct 29 258_800x410.jpg

sept oct 29 259_800x600.jpg

i'm no sailor but they look a bit long and thin more suited to river work

sept oct 29 280_800x457.jpg

sept oct 29 268_800x600.jpg

and as if by magic every passenger today was sporting a life jkt

sept oct 29 273_800x600.jpg

sept oct 29 292_800x600.jpg

sept oct 29 295_800x600.jpg

many fresh out the pkt

sept oct 29 314_800x600.jpg

will the true figures be told who lost their lives

lets here it from the local government

not just here say

I expect not

lets have a full story from the local press as well

and the final findings and court sentence of the owner and captain of the vessel

Comes as no surprise having rode on these over crowded boats over there in the past! The densly populated ferry ride is nothing compared to the long boat that comes out to bring you to shore! Was on one earlier this year and not one life jacket on the entire boat and people were literally on top of one another!

Plan for the worst and best you know how to swim if going there!

Seen on the inet the news as wasn't covered on the main news here on tv, but am not overly surprised as just another accident waiting to happen.

One comment summed it up really well;

"Thailand. Completely inadequate safety systems overseen by completely inadequate people who just do not care about anything except money".

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2jiLQsQVi
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

You cannot escape the spell or the lure of the Thai darkside Kyrano!!! Posted Image

A quote by Oscar Wilde " A cynic recognises the cost of everything, and the value of nothing"

I hope the life jackets are now made compulsory and a fine levied for a. not making life jacket available to passengers b. carrying over safe capacity.

I hope the life jackets are now made compulsory and a fine levied for a. not making life jacket available to passengers b. carrying over safe capacity.

Maybe for one week ... or even two ..

went down there again today, officials were watching ferries loading and insisting on life jkts being worn.

but as jerry says for how long.

bunch of other officials making inspection with clip boards files etc etc.

plus there was a police patrol boat and a marine dept sea patrol vessel in dock

i'll stick some pics up later

Not sure of what happened. The said engine fire, then pax went to one side to cause list, then sinking.

What happened?

Does not bother me - I can swim and tread water. Note the rubbish bin or you should have a water bottle - grab one before you jump.  I suppose the missing life jacket issue is being fixed. We will see if they can count 12 months on.

pics as promised, taken this morning bali hai pier

sept oct 30 238_800x471.jpg

reduced ambulance presence, but still have the tent HQ with casualty list on those white notice boards

sept oct 30 239_800x444.jpg

media still here ?

sept oct 30 258_800x436.jpg

yes to film inspection comittee, government on the case, no need for tourists to worry

sept oct 30 269_764x600.jpg

sept oct 30 249_800x454.jpg

cops brought one of theirs

sept oct 30 250_800x479.jpg

marine department sea patrol brought one too

sept oct 30 247_800x600.jpg

life jackets for all passengers

sept oct 30 280_800x600.jpg

and despite the sinking no shortage of customers

The Ferry was taking on water , the bilge pumps weren't working so all the passengers went upstairs to the top deck which made the Ferry capsise ,

Dreadful , I have been on those Ferries many times , will be looking for life vests from now on , RIP to 7 I belive ,

Think a ferry sunk or something like that. Many ambulances @the pier and I see boats and jet ski's comming in with people... I do not see casualties and people look dry... Correction, I do see casualties, a few people are being reanimated, and by the looks of it, he is not going to make it. :( little child also fighting for his life. :(

Another thread here also worth reading http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/175764-anyone-hear-anything-about-a-koh-larn-ferry-sinking/

I heard from someone that 7 people died and 7 are missing, but today I heard from a Thai person that almost 50 people have unfortunately died in this accident. They say they had taken more passengers than they should have and therefore cause the accident.

I heard from someone that 7 people died and 7 are missing, but today I heard from a Thai person that almost 50 people have unfortunately died in this accident. They say they had taken more passengers than they should have and therefore cause the accident.

SHHHHHH word might get round and affect tourism.........

<!-- isHtml:1 -->

conspiracy theories are great for selling books but it would be impossible to keep the deaths of foreign nationals quiet and some of that 50 would have to be falangs. it just could not be done.

Oh dear another terrible accident in Pattaya and once again none of the regulations were being followed or enforced.

I read the captain of the ship ran or swam away and police are looking for him why do Thai people do that when they have an accident. I have read of many bus or lorry drivers that run away after there has been a crash leaving the people that are injured or killed to fend for themselves.

I was sure I read some months ago after some tourists lost limbs or were killed in a speedboat crash in pattaya bay that city hall was going to tighten up the maritime laws here in pattaya for tourists safety guess what your too late again.

Now they are making passengers wear life jackets and not overloading ships (closing the stable door after the horse has bolted) but for how long before it is ignored things go back how they were again.

Like crash helmets, smoking indoors, and so many other laws that are passed not policed and then not obeyed then forgotten.

R.I.P to those who died.

today the press, the cops, the ambulances had all gone, but the Thai navy had shown up

sept oct 31 246_800x528.jpg

sept oct 31 248_700x600.jpg

sept oct 31 249_800x549.jpg

sept oct 31 253_800x577.jpg

full ferry with lifejacket wearing passengers in the background

sept oct 31 240_800x424.jpg

the koh larn travel fleet remained in port

sept oct 31 259_800x600.jpg

another quality company vessel

sept oct 31 260_800x513.jpg

Archived