• Dr.Winston

• barney

• LaaMok

Top Posters In This Topic

shoot rabbit

ยิงกระต่าย

ying grà-dtàai

http://www.thai2english.com/trans.html?query_id=81117

means going for a piss (same as bai ching chong)

This is my favourite answer to the question "Are you single"

โสดแต่ไม่สด - soot taa mai sot = (Single but not fresh). It is kind of like saying "I am single but experienced" and usually gets a laugh.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Go straight!!

ตรงกัน

dtrong gan

As in dont turn left you fucking idiot!! LOL

Bryan, absolutely brilliant idea. Especially since I've proudly completed my 30 Pimsleur Thai lessons after many hearings (thanks Panudate). My gal will be shocked when I next get over :CatDance1: Reading and writing apparently is the key to understanding the language. Any tips for the wannabes? BTW It's damn near impossible to read the script the size it comes out on computers but that's another challenge :Finger4:

มีเพศสัมพันธ์

# mee pêt săm-pan make love ; have sex ; sleep with someone

"ben grabarn"

or somtin like that

"I'll wack/hit you"

Member since Dec 06.

Excellent idea, Bryan!!

I am attaching a document I have been building for some time now, listing a variety of words and a few phrases that I have needed in some of my attempts to communicate with TGs. It is an MS Word file, assembled almost completely from www.thai-language.com.

A few words of caution - first, I began building this file well over a year ago, and have now found a varitey of errors in my earlier additions. The most significant of the errors is that in some cases, when I was using the good old cut and paste to get the thai characters, I inadvertantly omitted some of the accent markings on some of the words, which totally changes the meaning of the word. Therefore, I now double check anything I use at http://www.thai2english.com/ before using it. I wish I new which were still suspect, but have not had the time/inclination to put the effort into a wholesale re-check of the whole thing.

The other thing I have found in using it, is that as I learn a bit more, understand a bit more, I now question some of my selections from those cases where quite a number of options are available. Most of the entries do have a link to the page on thai-language.com where I got it from in the first place.

I am also attaching a zip file containing 101 of the sound files from thai-language.com. On my PC the links to the sound file work, but for it to work on yours, you will either have to create a folder/directory named (exactly) "Important Thai Words" and put it on drive E (you can create a drive E by mapping, a bit complex but workable), or you will have to edit each of the links.

I don't claim to be a genius, and this has certainly been a learning process for me. As I said, I have made numerous mistakes along the way, but do believe I have finally sorted out a pretty decent way to capture new additions. I have also gotten kind of lazy (khee giat ขี้เกียจ ) at times and not taken the time to download and link the sound file (you will see a few entries of 'get' in the column for the sound links where the sound file does exist, I just didn't take the time then to get it).

Any interest in keeping something like this here on the board somewhere that all can get to it? Perhaps if a few of us joined forces and put the effort into cleaning it up and then maintaining/adding to it, it could evolve into a useful document.

importantthaiwords.doc

soundfiles.zip

Rick

PS - The problem with the thai script being so small is easily remedied, increase the font size, that is size 5 above.

hypocrite

ปากหฺย่างไจหฺย่าง

Paak Yaang Jai Yaang.

I am also attaching a zip file containing 101 of the sound files from thai-language.com. On my PC the links to the sound file work, but for it to work on yours, you will either have to create a folder/directory named (exactly) "Important Thai Words" and put it on drive E (you can create a drive E by mapping, a bit complex but workable), or you will have to edit each of the links.

I don't claim to be a genius, and this has certainly been a learning process for me. As I said, I have made numerous mistakes along the way, but do believe I have finally sorted out a pretty decent way to capture new additions. I have also gotten kind of lazy (khee giat ขี้เกียจ ) at times and not taken the time to download and link the sound file (you will see a few entries of 'get' in the column for the sound links where the sound file does exist, I just didn't take the time then to get it).

Any interest in keeping something like this here on the board somewhere that all can get to it? Perhaps if a few of us joined forces and put the effort into cleaning it up and then maintaining/adding to it, it could evolve into a useful document.

Rick

PS - The problem with the thai script being so small is easily remedied, increase the font size, that is size 5 above.

sounds like a good idea, i'll have a look at the files later

• 3 weeks later...

ngôh

โง่

be foolish ; be stupid ; be silly ; be unwise

Used quite alot on my last trip pointing out pissed Farang

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

ngôh

โง่

be foolish ; be stupid ; be silly ; be unwise

Used quite alot on my last trip pointing out pissed Farang

You can also add the word ขี้ khii in front of words like ngoh to indicate somebody who is prone to behaving that way i.e. ขี้โง่ (khii ngoh) a stupid person.

Here one I am Buring into memmory. LOL

"Are you a man or a woman?"

คุณเป็นผู้ชายหรือผู้หญิง

khoon bpen phuu chaay reuu phuu ying

That might not go down too well. if you ask it to a ladyboy, well nothing upsets them more than facing the truth because they really believe they are women. if you ask it to a BG then she might take it as an insult to her femininity. personally I would rely on other methods to tell other than verbal. Good Thai though.

That might not go down too well. if you ask it to a ladyboy, well nothing upsets them more than facing the truth because they really believe they are women. if you ask it to a BG then she might take it as an insult to her femininity. personally I would rely on other methods to tell other than verbal. Good Thai though.

Thanks - That is why I stick mainly to go-go's it is easier to tell. LOL

By ou gun teelac

Fancy a sh*g darling :Party1:

Just remembered no swearing in here but you get my drift LOL

Wha's like us?

Yoong yai

big mosquito

Used in response to when the bar girls point to your neck that is covered with hickeys. Always gets a laugh.

suut soi = at the bottom/end of the soi

pak soi = at the start of the soi (ie where it joins the big road)

suut soi = at the bottom/end of the soi

pak soi = at the start of the soi (ie where it joins the big road)

suut teen = bottom of feet.... :Cry4:

Edited by PE.GOB

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

mai mee tung = i have no money

• 2 months later...

Then can we change it to "khoon bpen katoey reuu phuu ying" or not?? :Whistle::)

I remember asking a BG at NANA (Bangkok) about the bar there (some bar get ladyboy), she feel like I insult her ... :Laugh1:

Mister Why Not ? Posted Today, 03:58 PM

mai lu si = i do not know

Slightly off topic.

There is a bar in LK Metro called Mi Lu Si (actually Mai Lu Si) anyway they stay open late so I had several late drinks there last month.

One night I asked the owners wife (mamasan) what Mai Lu Si meant.

She said "I Dont know"

I said why you dont know, you work here and you dont know.

After about 5 minutes of her and the girls laughing they explained it to me.

Anyway back on topic.

Sawadi Pe mai -- Happy New Year

Edited by soldiermick

Cheers Mick

• 1 month later...

One of my favorites for raising eyebrows. My Thai friends were convinced I'd never learn this one, but it's pretty easy.

Good night.

Ratree Sawad

(Ra - low tone, tree - high tone)

Slightly off topic.

There is a bar in LK Metro called Mi Lu Si (actually Mai Lu Si) anyway they stay open late so I had several late drinks there last month.

One night I asked the owners wife (mamasan) what Mai Lu Si meant.

She said "I Dont know"

I said why you dont know, you work here and you dont know.

After about 5 minutes of her and the girls laughing they explained it to me.

Anyway back on topic.

Sawadi Pe mai -- Happy New Year

Ha ha....good one mate. :P